Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

quote:

Frustration of evacuees stranded north of fire-ravaged Fort McMurray is spilling over onto Highway 63.

Thousands of vehicles lined up Wednesday at a blockade established at the perimeter of the evacuation zone on the north city limits.

All roads into the fire-ravaged city are closed, but residents and workers are desperate to get through.

"There are about 15 kilometres worth of vehicles just sitting here, waiting to leave," said Alex Ve Soto, a Syncrude worker who had been waiting in the line for more than seven hours as of mid-afternoon on Thursday.

"We're kind of at a standstill. We're just going to wait it out, but it's not looking too good. Every now and then, you'll hear a whole bunch of people honking their horns and scream and yell. It's getting a little heated out here."

Shortly after noon on Thursday the situation grew tense as a group of vehicles charged the RCMP barricades, Ve Soto said.

"A group of about 25 to 30 vehicles made a push for the road, and one of the police officers jumped in front of his car so no one would ram it out of the way," he said.

"I was just in awe of what was happening."

Ve Soto says the aggressive drivers were not charged or arrested and police have stopped threatening to fine drivers for waiting in line.

"They're just trying to calm everyone down right now, to make sure it doesn't get out of hand because it could very quickly," said Vesoto.

"There is only about eight police officers out here. That's all there is, and there has got to be at least 10,000 people out on this highway."

The way this is written makes it sound like people trapped in a quarantine zone trying to escape. Like "Don't let those hosers through, they could be carriers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The military should start arriving over the weekend. Most of the rig pigs that aren't Newfies were junior enlisted, so it should be a fun reunion.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sharzak posted:

How the gently caress are there no deaths? Is this how we find out that Canadians are made out of some synthetic alloy that melts at 200000? Degrees? Cray! Glad they're alive!

Because 80% of the population are oil/gas workers who are tough as nails, who are trained in first response medical. Who are trained to stay calm in a hydrogen sulphide leak and rescue fallen workers.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

jonathan posted:

Because 80% of the population are oil/gas workers who are tough as nails, who are trained in first response medical. Who are trained to stay calm in a hydrogen sulphide leak and rescue fallen workers.

You joke but there are people who seriously believe this

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

nature6pk posted:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC2iPvXAggM

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nature6pk posted:

Not a joke. Come work my job for a week. Forest fire ? LoL maybe I'll get a day off!

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

jonathan posted:

Not a joke. Come work my job for a week. Forest fire ? LoL maybe I'll get a day off!

So 80% of the former population of Ft Mac worked in the tar sands? I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nature6pk posted:

So 80% of the former population of Ft Mac worked in the tar sands? I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

No, I said oil and gas, and it's related fields. Tar sands are a very small part of the operations in energy production.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

jonathan posted:

No, I said oil and gas, and it's related fields. Tar sands are a very small part of the operations in energy production.

To reiterate:
80% of the cities population have jobs in which they are trained to rescue fallen workers during hydrogen sulphide leaks?

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

crowoutofcontext posted:

To reiterate:
80% of the cities population have jobs in which they are trained to rescue fallen workers during hydrogen sulphide leaks?

Yes and 70% of the pets as well

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

page 6 you canpol regular :bigtran:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The city /pol/ has always dreamed of

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

unpacked robinhood posted:

The city /pol/ has always dreamed of

/pol/ dreams of burning civilization to the ground, checks out

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol, rig pigs are the dumbest people alive. It was like the opposite of a brain drain for Vancouver before oil tanked.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

You guys really don't understand that Ft Macs fantasy that they're somehow a special snowflake is actually real. #RigPigsMatter

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

God willing

inshallah

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A city of people buying snow mobiles, ATV's, trucks, and RV's and holy poo poo oil is down I can't afford any of this stuff holy poo poo who could have predicted this?!

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I've always assumed your average Canadian city is just a small logging village. Basically Falkreath for fans of Skyrim. Doesn't seem hard for it to be entirely on fire.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Professor Shark posted:

A city of people buying snow mobiles, ATV's, trucks, and RV's and holy poo poo oil is down I can't afford any of this stuff holy poo poo who could have predicted this?!

im pretty sure everyone in fort mac all just decided to unanimously commit insurance fraud together to get off from paying off their dumb monster debts

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

dog buttz posted:

I've always assumed your average Canadian city is just a small logging village. Basically Falkreath for fans of Skyrim. Doesn't seem hard for it to be entirely on fire.

Fort McMurray is basically the size of the University of British Columbia in terms of population. It's tiny for a city.

Edit:

Wikipedia posted:

Fort McMurray is located in northeast Alberta, in the middle of the Athabasca oil sands and surrounded by boreal forest FIRE.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 7, 2016

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I wish this would happen to Los Angeles instead of some random Canadatown.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

McGavin posted:

Fort McMurray is basically the size of the University of British Columbia in terms of population. It's tiny for a city.

Edit:

what kind of BC elitist thinks 80,000 is a "tiny city?" i bet it even has a wal-mart

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Turns out that one Modest Mouse song was about Ft Mac

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

reagan posted:

what kind of BC elitist thinks 80,000 is a "tiny city?" i bet it even has a wal-mart

Kinda hard to think of it as a big city when you live in a city that's nearly 30 times bigger. My area is in yellow, around 80k live there and it's considered a small time suburb

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Kinda hard to think of it as a big city when you live in a city that's nearly 30 times bigger. My area is in yellow, around 80k live there and it's considered a small time suburb

#LoLo

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

reagan posted:

In the USA, Vancouver would be considered a 3rd tier city on par with Orlando or Sacramento.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Reverse Centaur posted:

The entire city is yellow

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Keg posted:

The entire city is yellow

#hongcouver

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

i always like listening to loser white people complain about all the Asian immigrants in the country, as if they would all be winners if it weren't for those drat slopes taking all the jobs

nope

you would still be a loving loser even in a pure white society haha

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Asians in Vancouver don't work, their dad/husband is a "successful business man" back in China and sends them suitcases full of cash.

What is this thread about again

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Turns out that one Modest Mouse song was about Ft Mac

Float on?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I only stayed in Vancouver for a couple years, but I had no idea that was a prevalant sentiment.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

uh clearly he is talking about whale song

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

i always like listening to loser white people complain about all the Asian immigrants in the country, as if they would all be winners if it weren't for those drat slopes taking all the jobs

nope

you would still be a loving loser even in a pure white society haha

What is a slope?

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

jonathan posted:

Hahahaha

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Darth123123 posted:

What is a slope?

Rise over run

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm glad that no one died in Ft Mac. They can get back to drinking/drugging themselves to death for lack of anything to do fairly soon.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Not everyone in Ft. Mac is going to have any sort of safety training. For every rig pig with a dozen safety tickets there are a dozen people working in camp kitchens, at home depot, doing data entry in an office, or whatever with maybe first aid and some gas detection if they work in a warehouse that has some nitrogen tanks. That said its probably fair to say that Ft. Mac has a much higher incidence of people with a dozen safety tickets, and a career of working in dangerous and stressful situations that a city like Los Angeles probably doesn't. At least on a per capita basis. I'm sure Manhattan alone has 90000 people with a first aid certificate just because there is 10 million people and 10% with some sort of ticket doesn't seem unreasonable. I'd attribute the lack of fatalities to the fact that the authorities didn't really waffle on declaring a state of emergency and just went with evacuating the whole drat town when things started to look real bad, rather than waiting till things were actually real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Harrower posted:

Not everyone in Ft. Mac is going to have any sort of safety training.

gently caress you buddy guy. It's a tough as nails badass haven where every hooker can CPR the flames away, and every meth dealer can give a backyard skin graft faster than you can say "What's all this aboot". Cause goddam OIL MAN, that's why.

• Locked thread