Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

JFairfax posted:

also corbyn is very popular in bristol

This is also bad for Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lord of the Llamas posted:

So Bristol UKMTers, was the Labour victory for mayor seen as a foregone conclusion or was it a bit surprising?
It was seen as the most likely outcome by some way, but not a dead cert. Ferguson has done a number of things that have pissed people off for various reasons, including widespread but rather arbitrary introduction of 20 mph zones around the city, and strict limitations on parking in certain places, as well as some minor kerfuffles about funds for various projects finding their way into the pockets of his friends and relatives.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/08/sadiq-khan-jeremy-corbyn-labour-election-strategy

quote:

In a clear signal that he will use his position to set out an alternative direction for Labour, Britain’s most powerful directly elected politician said the party could only win elections by uniting people from all backgrounds – including former Conservative voters – rather than aiming to win over “just enough of the population … to get over the line”.

In an article for the Observer, Khan had appeared to directly contradict Corbyn’s electoral strategy, writing: “It should never be about ‘picking sides’, [or] a ‘them-or-us’ attitude,” Khan wrote. “Our aim should be to unite people from all backgrounds as a broad and welcoming tent – not to divide and rule.”

Asked directly by Andrew Marr on his BBC show if he was criticising Labour’s poster, Khan said: “My point was I want Labour to be a big tent, and if we want to form the next government we need to speak to everyone, not just Labour voters, not just our core vote. I have to speak to chief executives, people who voted Conservative last time, Ukip or stayed at home.”

This is bad for Corbyn...

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

It's a weird statement to make considering how divisive the Khan vs Goldsmith election turned out to be.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Not exactly a shock since he spent a lot of his campaign running away from Corbyn as fast as possible. He always sounds very embarrassed when people bring up the fact he supported Corbyn's leadership bid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is it just me who read that article and thought it mostly sounded pretty generic? It's hardly the excoriation it's being made out to be. There's a lot worse criticism of Goldsmith and Cameron in it than of Corbyn, who isn't even mentioned by name, yet the TIBFC story is much bigger.

And I doubt most of the activists would actually disagree that we need to appeal to more than just us.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Is it just me who read that article and thought it mostly sounded pretty generic? It's hardly the excoriation it's being made out to be. There's a lot worse criticism of Goldsmith and Cameron in it than of Corbyn, who isn't even mentioned by name, yet the TIBFC story is much bigger.

And I doubt most of the activists would actually disagree that we need to appeal to more than just us.

Of course, it gets a much larger space on the Guardian mainsite than the other things he talks about.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's boilerplate stuff about how Our Party needs to appeal to everyone, so this is basically just the Graun being the Graun again. Either that or Khan somehow thinks that the opposition shouldn't actually oppose the government because that's us versus them thinking.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Remember at the start when people disagreed with Corbyn, he just went "yeah, it's fine, people can have their own opinion, I want an inclusive party where people aren't told what to think". And that it would be a very democratic party that isn't entirely dominated by the leader.

It feels like that message has been dropped in the last few months. It may be that that is the party he's still intends to have, but if that explanation isn't being pitched publically anymore then it's made it easier to paint these disagreements as a civil war. By dropping it he's allowed the old mindset to remain that him having rebels in the party is a sign of weakness as a leader.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Either that or Khan somehow thinks that the opposition shouldn't actually oppose the government because that's us versus them thinking.

That is genuinly how Blairite MPs think. All we need to do to win the next election is to let the Tories create the narrative, agree completely with them when they say austerity is necessary because Labour caused a global crisis, support the majority of their policies, and just wear a slightly more concerned face.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's boilerplate stuff about how Our Party needs to appeal to everyone, so this is basically just the Graun being the Graun again. Either that or Khan somehow thinks that the opposition shouldn't actually oppose the government because that's us versus them thinking.

Actually it's an Observer piece

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cerv posted:

Are you sad when your nitpicking doesn't get as many replies as Pissflaps's?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

Sorry about that, I have trouble differentiating between poo poo and poo poo.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/729263846255435776

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Observer hates Corbyn even more than the graun does, is the point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well the canary's not wrong, albeit it's one of the stupider sentences I've read today.

I suspect a large part of the negativity is just that the papers don't like the fact that there's a generation growing up who get their news in different ways and want to queue for selfies with party leaders rather than reading the Graun and tutting.

Cerv posted:

Nah, it's reprinted in Comment is Free as well.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Angepain posted:

oh for the love of-

Tories :argh:

It was the Labour party that created the entire stupid mess, lots of the architects of the policy are still in the Labour party

blowfish posted:

Ok, so why don't you just give the LEAs earmarked money for fixing problem schools without creating a parallel school system for no good reason instead?

Because a lot of the issues with poor performing schools can be laid at the feet of the LEA's so you would be throwing good money after bad and it's more difficult to fix the LEA's from the national level than it is to just cut them out of the process. An awful lot of councils are hide bound, bureaucratic messes that are run like petty fiefdoms or ideological regimes that just don't have the people in the places that can actually do any good. I used to work in a council that was in the top 20% of councils and if that shitshow was one of the better ones the bad ones would be like The Office but worse.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I used to work in a council that was in the top 20% of councils and if that shitshow was one of the better ones the bad ones would be like The Office but worse.

I'm going to let you in on a secret: every organisation looks absolutely chaotic on the inside.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a joke at the expense of Rushbrisger after the time he spent an entire Sunday afternoon pasting the same reply on twitter

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The Conservatives can support big business and "STRIVERS" but Labour must appeal to everyone which has never actually worked. Great plan. gently caress, looking at how the voting turned out I was actually optimistic about a Labour government in 2020 but they are going to swerve so hard into the first wall they come to. A wall made of C4 and prompt critical nuclear material.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Conservatives can support big business and "STRIVERS" but Labour must appeal to everyone which has never actually worked. Great plan. gently caress, looking at how the voting turned out I was actually optimistic about a Labour government in 2020 but they are going to swerve so hard into the first wall they come to. A wall made of C4 and prompt critical nuclear material.

Mayor of London says generic thing every politician says, SKY IS FALLING

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Edit, my phone is dumb.

Puntification fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 8, 2016

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mayor of London says generic thing every politician says, SKY IS FALLING

To be fair there is a distinct and rather stupid irony in saying 'we need to stop talking about ourselves' while making pointed remarks about the leadership and generating headlines of 'Khan vs. Corbyn'. If Khan wants to stop talking about internal problems, maybe he should stop talking about internal problems.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Everyone wants to stop the talking, but also it's important to get the last word in

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cerv posted:

Everyone wants to stop the talking, but also it's important to get the last word in

Everyone wants everyone else to stop talking and do it their way.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A Labour MP has hosed up and sent an e-mail to a journalist instead of John Mann

https://twitter.com/Redlabour2016/status/729242211070644225

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

"Accidentally"

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Saying "we have to reach out beyond the people who already support us and win over people who don't" is a statement of the obvious in politics. It almost isn't worth saying.

But that's why if someone does come out and say it, it's reasonable to think there's a subtext. They must think that right now it actually needs saying, perhaps because people have forgotten how important it is, or because their party is failing to do it.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

A Labour MP has hosed up and sent an e-mail to a journalist instead of John Mann

https://twitter.com/Redlabour2016/status/729242211070644225

"Hey Ben, next time you try and stab Caesar make sure you're not holding a plastic spoon."

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

"Accidentally"

Well yes that did cross my mind too.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
https://twitter.com/bl0ke/status/729307662115065857
May as well get the ball rolling.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That is one gross sausage.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What I want to know is where was all this vehement passionate opposition from New Labour before Corbyn got in?

If the PLP had opposed Cameron with half this effort we might not have had to boot them out and vote in an old jam artisan.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

What I want to know is where was all this vehement passionate opposition from New Labour before Corbyn got in?

If the PLP had opposed Cameron with half this effort we might not have had to boot them out and vote in an old jam artisan.

They were opposing perfectly vehemently by agreeing vehemently whilst frowning and looking a bit cross.

(Hint, the people doing the opposing now are by and large people with some kind of vested interest in nothing changing about the system as it stands)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the first opposition to lose seats since 1985, historically low NEV share, declining vote share in Wales, total wipeout in Scotland

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

thespaceinvader posted:

"Accidentally"

If it was deliberate, it's a strange strategy as it just makes her seem incompetent.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

If it was deliberate, it's a strange strategy as it just makes her seem incompetent.

I thought this was the current blairite strategy to win elections.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

shrike82 posted:

the first opposition to lose seats since 1985, historically low NEV share, declining vote share in Wales, total wipeout in Scotland

Hmm yes.

Also on the academies u-turn, the DoE is still going to force schools that aren't doing well into becoming academies, and guess where they happen to be.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It has probably been asked before, but what is NOC?

Independents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dead Goon posted:

It has probably been asked before, but what is NOC?
No Overall Control.

• Locked thread