Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope the devs get to make the darksiders games with the other 2 horseman of the apocalypse like I assume they want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nordic Games owns the IP after THQ died a death but they haven't done anything with it other than a PS4/Bone port of 2.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Playing Pirate Warriors 3 and it just goes on to remind me why I really like One Piece compared to basically any other anime series.

For one, it's so unique looking. You don't get many games, shows or whatever that feature so wildly varied and diverse-looking characters. In a show/game with a cast as gargantuan as it has become, it's kind of astonishing how easily visually distinguished so many of them are from one another, and how memorable they remain.

It's a show that doggedly refuses to actually kill anybody, to the point of absolute absurdity in some parts (and then, strangely, completely dropped in favor of intensely dark dramatic plot turns) and I respect it for this because it's actually one of the few on-going pieces of media, shows or cartoons, that effectively utilizes "previous" characters. Like, one early main villain gets his whole scheme destroyed and his character is completely showcased, given a sort of plot/arc/whatever and then he's rendered disposable. But because the show doesn't kill him for the sake of it, he's actually able to return to the plot later on in a wildly different capacity, and becomes a totally fresh plot hook again. It's great to see a piece of media that seems to enjoy its show and characters as much as it wants its fans to, and these Musou games are perhaps among the best methods of capturing all of the unique elements of a diverse set of characters while maintaining a common gameplay framework.

It has its really weird moments, and it's also something I don't think should ever actually be dubbed in English. I don't think the show's humor and tempo and general mood could work in English--so much of the show's charm comes from the actual vocal performances of the cast, who play with language and delivery in ways that only make sense in Japanese.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
blizzard are total assholes for not putting new classes in diablo 3 already

jesus gently caress poo poo rear end god drat it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

axleblaze posted:

I only just now got that the title Diddy Kong Quest is a play on words.

This is pretty much the fedex arrow or Amazon a to z of video games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

that feature so wildly varied and diverse-looking characters

the artist needs to work on his girl designs tho, they're all literally just O8< lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
my fiancee picked up that horse racing solitaire game that gamefreak made and she's enjoying it a lot. I hope everybody else had a good day and were able to do something enjoyable today as well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

the artist needs to work on his girl designs tho, they're all literally just O8< lol

It's always been that anime with Michael Jackson dude pirates and boobs on sticks lady pirates to me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't follow one piece so everything I know about it comes from a few eps of the 4kids show and then playing the story mode in one piece warriors 3 and it was pretty funny when the fat pirate cowboy lady showed up in the game and she was just a twig with tits haha

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Same character hahaha

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jesus that waist.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Those hands :stare:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The Manga and Anime both had more varied men and women with legit proportions in the beginning.

Wastes have kept getting smaller and tips bigger and it's so off-putting I stopped reading. In addition to other flaws.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The One Piece art is pretty unfortunate sometimes

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nasgate posted:

The Manga and Anime both had more varied men and women with legit proportions in the beginning.

Wastes have kept getting smaller and tips bigger and it's so off-putting I stopped reading. In addition to other flaws.

I quit early on because I didn't enjoy the formula of "kid who wants to be King of the Pirates goes around chastising pirates for doing pirate stuff."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a fun series, but it's miserable to read it weekly and has no end in sight despite having gone on for almost two decades now

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pirate Warriors 3 is super fun tho

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

Pirate Warriors 3 is super fun tho

yeah

are arlong and giraffe samurai dude non popular characters or something cause idk why they arent playable

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FirstAidKite posted:

idk how VR stuff works but main issue I can imagine is that there isn't any actual thing you're holding on to when you do that stuff so there wouldn't be any physical feedback from doing something like this

The vive controllers have rumble packs, you feel it shake when you shoot a laser. It could definitely work. I don't know how they could solve the walking around problem.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

yeah

are arlong and giraffe samurai dude non popular characters or something cause idk why they arent playable

Kaku's actually p popular, but idk why they're not playable when people already hacked the PC version and they have a full movelist

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

Kaku's actually p popular, but idk why they're not playable when people already hacked the PC version and they have a full movelist

oh cool I didn't know they hacked it

those two and kuro are p much the only ones i really wanted to play as but I wasn't sure how popular they were given how early on some of those arcs were

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would love to play as Kuro he's like one of my favorite OP villains

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

8-Bit Scholar posted:

and it's also something I don't think should ever actually be dubbed in English.
If only you knew how right you are

FirstAidKite posted:

Same character hahaha
It's even sillier when you find out which power she got, basically implying that she poo poo all the fat out of her body

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idA9BEA4Hxs&t=136s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh261nfSn3E

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It has its really weird moments, and it's also something I don't think should ever actually be dubbed in English. I don't think the show's humor and tempo and general mood could work in English--so much of the show's charm comes from the actual vocal performances of the cast, who play with language and delivery in ways that only make sense in Japanese.

The Funimation dub of One Piece is actually P good imo it just has the problem of being super loving behind.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Happy Mother's Day, Amerigoons. Say something nice about your mother to your mother. She probably worked hard to buy you a piece of plastic that she didn't fully understand because it made you happy as a kid. My mom gaming story: she had an original GameBoy with Tetris in it in her bathroom until 2011. She also brought home the unofficial FFVII strategy guide one day because she knew I had just gotten the game and was very excited about it.

Of course, she also scared me so bad I pissed myself because I had been playing Starcraft online even though I had been grounded from the computer and she came home in a fury 'cause she couldn't call home since I was tiring up the phone line. Ah, memories.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

The Funimation dub of One Piece is actually P good imo it just has the problem of being super loving behind.

also the problem of being an adaptation of a comic with a billion chapters that eventually starts stretching individual ones out to 20 min

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the funi dub of op more than the jp version even though the voices I like in the JP version I like a lot. It's still a really bad anime adaptation and the dub suffers because it can't just dub the good bits so we wait forever for the cool stuff to get released in america.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Motto posted:

also the problem of being an adaptation of a comic with a billion chapters that eventually starts stretching individual ones out to 20 min

Yeah but I was grading it in terms of the anime, which has that problem in every language.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like OP, despite it's problems. All those problems are inherent in pretty much any long running fight anime and they actually tend to be less bad in OP. Hell, despite their increasingly bad designs, Nami and Robin are still handled way better than majority of female anime protagonists.

Still, I just recently got caught all the way up to Dressrosa and I'll probably take a few years off before diving back in.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Happy Mother's Day, Amerigoons. Say something nice about your mother to your mother. She probably worked hard to buy you a piece of plastic that she didn't fully understand because it made you happy as a kid. My mom gaming story: she had an original GameBoy with Tetris in it in her bathroom until 2011. She also brought home the unofficial FFVII strategy guide one day because she knew I had just gotten the game and was very excited about it.

Of course, she also scared me so bad I pissed myself because I had been playing Starcraft online even though I had been grounded from the computer and she came home in a fury 'cause she couldn't call home since I was tiring up the phone line. Ah, memories.

My mom supported my gaming habits until I was old enough manchild to pay for my own. Also I believe it is a universal law that all moms have to have played Tetris and be good at it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
instead of talking about my mom, I am instead going to tell everyone that etrian odyssey 4 is on sale on the eshop for :tenbux: and while I can't afford something like that, many of you can, so if you enjoy etrian idyssey games then go pick it up for yourself and have fun!!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Buy EO 4 your mom.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm amused that people seem really upset that an anime features cute girls and stuff, but it is a flaw of the style that most of the female characters in the show sort of have the same build and face. It's like the Goku problem for Toriyama, but with girls. That said, I always liked Nami and Robin; the latter, in particular, benefitted greatly from having her abilities expanded after the time skip, because her power is really weird and interesting.

Weird and interesting is the best thing about OP, since you have people whose powers are "Rubber" and not just "flight, super strength, energy beams". In fact, most people DON'T shoot energy beams and just punch each other instead. That said:

FirstAidKite posted:

Same character hahaha

This isn't very fair because you have a manga panel in the first image and an animation still in the second. The Manga's artwork is universally better because the anime has hundreds and hundreds of loving episodes and boils that poo poo down. Weird proportions and stuff happen all the time in animation. Alvida's one of those characters like Buggy who are seemingly joke characters, but their powers are astonishingly powerful. Like, Buggy can't loving die, essentially. He's immune to swords entirely, but I bet with some doing he could easily have his body segment even smaller to protect from gunshots. Isn't Alvida like...perpetually slippery? Or she can erase friction entirely? I could seem some incredible applications for that.

EDIT: Also One Piece is only the children's entertainment show that has from its earliest days featured highly dangerous cross dressers who specialize in foot-based martial arts, and this all culminates in one of the most insane sequences ever put to page or animation reel when you meet the loving...person...with the sex change power up.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 8, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
my point was that all of his drawings of women started blending together and even the fat chick became that

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
If anything, this Overwatch thing has rekindled my desire for Quake. Quake Live is fun and there's a nice consistent community of like 20 people playing Rocket Arena every weekend in the country I live in. Life is good.

Maybe it's just because Soldier 76 is the only character I really excel at playing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

my point was that all of his drawings of women started blending together and even the fat chick became that

Well, be of good cheer, because there's an even FATTER chick who is gonna show up at some point so you don't have to worry.

Also it is unfair to say this show is only about cool cute anime girls it also has

cool grandmas
cool cute MILF girl ladies
That Fat-rear end Train Conductor Lady and her Ugly rear end Kid

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's fanservice, manservice, and what I would call creatorservice, and one pieces identical designs fall under that category

It's like how the lilo and stitch guy really likes to draw big hipped big thigh ladies, and how ken Levine loves white people

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Its not so much that OP has fan service as much as it got far worse as it went along and character designs got worse as a result of it. Like OP has wildly over the top character design so it make sense to have these dramatically hourglass figures but at this point that seems to be the only woman he is willing to draw (well and the rare grotesque hag) and if that character at any point was wearing a reasonable amount of clothes, that won't last long.

The worst if it he fixed Robin's nose after the time jump and I'm not even sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well, be of good cheer, because there's an even FATTER chick who is gonna show up at some point so you don't have to worry.

Also it is unfair to say this show is only about cool cute anime girls it also has

cool grandmas
cool cute MILF girl ladies
That Fat-rear end Train Conductor Lady and her Ugly rear end Kid

I guarantee if they show that kid grown up she'll be curvy as hell. I mean here's an OP character as a kid

and here's her as a teenager

{Also here's the young version of that fat rear end train conductor)

• Locked thread