Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

AMD needs to leak some info ASAP to recapture some of attention.

https://twitter.com/Roy_techhwood/status/729032191175368704

Polaris is 100% hashtag compliant. Checkmate Nvidia :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
#performanceperinch

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Someone please take Roy Taylor out back and Old Yeller him. Bonus points if it's Leslie Pirritano.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Don Lapre posted:

#performanceperinch

#overclockersdream

Not having much faith in AMD this time around, though I'd liked to be surprised. A (near) 1080 equivalent for $50 or $100 less would be enough for me.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
AMD has been preaching mainstream this whole time and all the leaks point to small die sizes. They won't have a high end GPU that competes with the GTX 1080 until sometime in 2017 when Vega releases.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/Roy_techhwood/status/729032191175368704

Polaris is 100% hashtag compliant. Checkmate Nvidia :smug:

Omg...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Let's put Tom aside for a moment, how does Roy still have a job?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Well in fairness after 3.5 GB of async compute I'd check twice if NV told me their logo was green.

Thing is you really ought to have good things to say about your stuff.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

GokieKS posted:

The issue with the Founders Edition is that nobody knows when the non-Founders Edition cards will be available, so it just comes off as looking like a way to bilk an extra $100 out of the people who must have it day one.

... like, probably, me, since I've been waiting so long to upgrade my 780. :(

That's what it seems like to me, a tax on early adopters. (and I'm sure they'll sell out anyway)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

phosdex posted:

That's what it seems like to me, a tax on early adopters. (and I'm sure they'll sell out anyway)

They're targeted at the types who have custom signatures displaying their system specs on their OCUK and [H]ardForum signatures.

"Oh, you don't have a Founder's Edition? That's okay, we can't all be rocking a vapor chamber." :smug:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 9, 2016

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

is the reference vapor chamber cooling actually good or is this some next-level marketing? i'm not familiar with nvidia's last reference cooler if someone could fill me in, it would be appreciated. I JUST WANT THERE TO BE REVIEWS ALREADY!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're targeted at the types who have custom signatures displaying their system specs on their OCUK and [H]ardForum signatures.

Or people who desperately need a card at the beginning of June to keep their $600 VR from being a paperweight :(.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Smithereens posted:

is the reference vapor chamber cooling actually good or is this some next-level marketing? i'm not familiar with nvidia's last reference cooler if someone could fill me in, it would be appreciated. I JUST WANT THERE TO BE REVIEWS ALREADY!!

They are actually very good, especially for builds that require blower-style heatsinks (e.g. some mATX/mITX cases). Performs well and pretty quiet.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Tanreall posted:

AMD has been preaching mainstream this whole time and all the leaks point to small die sizes. They won't have a high end GPU that competes with the GTX 1080 until sometime in 2017 when Vega releases.

AMD has been saying that they're trying to bring VR to mainstream prices, they've made no statements about the actual performance of thier chips, it's people reading into it. Also why do people keep falling for the rake in the grass that is die size? Like, AMD's chip history is basically been "smaller dies for a given performance level compared to Nvidia", Maxwell has been the exception that proves the rule. A 232mm² chip can definitely compete with a 317mm² chip if history is anything to go by.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Can't wait for some voltage cranking water results.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Here's hoping the AIB drop the $599 versions quickly: I'mma feel pretty dumb ripping off the heatsink I paid an extra $100 for so I can slap my AIO on it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

GokieKS posted:

They are actually very good, especially for builds that require blower-style heatsinks (e.g. some mATX/mITX cases). Performs well and pretty quiet.

To add to this, the new blower probably isn't worse than the 9-series blower. That, coupled with the fact that the 980Ti was ~250W and the 1080 is 180W, so there's like 30% less heat to begin with. So, we should be fairly optimistic about the new blower, despite its stupid looks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Smithereens posted:

It's a nice blower cooler but it's still a blower cooler. If you have the space open coolers are typically quieter and cooler. If not, well, blower coolers it is.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Oh, you don't have a Founder's Edition? That's okay, we can't all be rocking a vapor chamber." :smug:

You ain't poo poo without a Vapor-X :colbert:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AMD will announce the newest USFF card on Computex and I'll be happy :beerpal:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD will announce the newest USFF card on Computex and I'll be happy :beerpal:

I want to start a kickstarter to buy you a new case :(

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Wait I thought Roy was already fired for something

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
After the announcement I was all excited and thought I'd be able to get a 1070 relatively quickly. But now it's looking like they're a ways off yet, and until then I'm still on this 750ti :sigh:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

FaustianQ posted:

AMD has been saying that they're trying to bring VR to mainstream prices, they've made no statements about the actual performance of thier chips, it's people reading into it. Also why do people keep falling for the rake in the grass that is die size? Like, AMD's chip history is basically been "smaller dies for a given performance level compared to Nvidia", Maxwell has been the exception that proves the rule. A 232mm² chip can definitely compete with a 317mm² chip if history is anything to go by.

VR ready is R9 290 and GTX 970 performance level. I'm sure we're going to get some amazing performance per dollar out of Polaris but I don't expect it to compete with the GTX 1080.

Roy Taylor posted:

If you look at the total install base of a Radeon 290, or a GTX 970, or above, it's 7.5 million units. But the issue is that if a publisher wants to sell a £40/$50 game, that's not a big enough market to justify that yet. We've got to prime the pumps, which means somebody has got to start writing cheques to big games publishers. Or we've got to increase the install TAM.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/amd-polaris-will-be-a-mainstream-gpu/

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Bardeh posted:

After the announcement I was all excited and thought I'd be able to get a 1070 relatively quickly. But now it's looking like they're a ways off yet, and until then I'm still on this 750ti :sigh:

Its perfectly possible we'll have a bunch of first and third party 1070s on June 10th or whenever the launch was. We might not too, its not very clear right now besides the info that the Founders editions will be launching on that day. Overall we'll probably get a good idea of what the 1070 launch is gonna be like when the 1080 launches on May 27th. Everything is conjecture till then.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

My pipe dream upper bound is that the 1080 is actually a full step faster than the 980 Ti, and that AMD comes through and hits the VR minimum 290 level but does it with Polaris 11, and 10 comes in at 980 Ti level. If NV is as fast as they say I think it's possible.

I think it's pretty likely that AMD and NV get similar performance given Pascal's shifts towards GCN (for better and for worse, I don't think it will do as well in Maxwell's best games) and that AMD has had time to seriously shift to performance per watt focus.and hopefully caught up with some of NV's arch advantages.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tanreall posted:

VR ready is R9 290 and GTX 970 performance level. I'm sure we're going to get some amazing performance per dollar out of Polaris but I don't expect it to compete with the GTX 1080.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/amd-polaris-will-be-a-mainstream-gpu/

A refurb Tri-X 290 has been running around $200, and those prices are going to drop again when Pascal and Polaris launch.

The bigger problem is that people don't have the $650-850 VR set, not that they don't have the $200 GPU to run it. I don't know what the total shipments of Vives and Rifts is yet but I'm willing to bet it's less than 100k sets.

Furthermore, the Rift is restricted to sit-down experiences (officially, room-scale is unsupported) and does not have controllers available yet (and they won't be standard), while the Vive has standard controllers and room-scale experiences. So the VR market is actually bifurcated even more deeply than the topline number appears. It's hard to create an experience that is compelling for both audiences.

Also, this is one of those times where buying a beige-box computer is really going to cost you. You can build a Rift-ready computer relatively cheaply with a used 2500K and a 290, but if you go out and buy a new 6600 and a 970 you're going to pay at least a couple hundred dollars extra for the privilege (and your computer will probably be subpar anyway). I know people don't know how to do it, but it's really not that hard to watch some Youtube tutorials. People just can't be bothered.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 9, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLBbNBwqxE
and here's the first leaked benchmark. This dude has a 1080 on the public Ashes of Singularly benchmark.

http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...de-199d6e00c4c6

edit: lol. Sean Pelletier, an Nvidia employee's playing Ashes with a 1080 is in the benchmark. Does the game auto upload these things?

Crazy (1080p) http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...73-5b1efded9a8a

Extreme (1080p) http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...e0-2a5ded72442b

High (1080p) http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...30-27a3334e688f

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 9, 2016

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I re-ran the Steam VR benchmark on my Strix GTX 960, which I know is not supposed to be VR ready, but what the heck?

Uninstalling Hyper-V was the difference between a score of 0.8-1.2, and a score of 3.2.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

What does any of that have to do with whether Polaris will compete with the GTX 1080?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Surprised they actually went with the 1080/70 naming scheme but........gently caress. GTX 1070 or bust.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

xthetenth posted:

My pipe dream upper bound is that the 1080 is actually a full step faster than the 980 Ti, and that AMD comes through and hits the VR minimum 290 level but does it with Polaris 11, and 10 comes in at 980 Ti level. If NV is as fast as they say I think it's possible.

I think it's pretty likely that AMD and NV get similar performance given Pascal's shifts towards GCN (for better and for worse, I don't think it will do as well in Maxwell's best games) and that AMD has had time to seriously shift to performance per watt focus.and hopefully caught up with some of NV's arch advantages.

Polaris 11 is a miniscule chip with a 128bit memory bus, you're off by two steps or so there :smith:
AMD showed the P11 duking it out with a Nvidia 950.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLBbNBwqxE
and here's the first leaked benchmark. This dude has a 1080 on the public Ashes of Singularly benchmark.

http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...de-199d6e00c4c6

edit: lol. Sean Pelletier, an Nvidia employee's playing Ashes with a 1080 is in the benchmark. Does the game auto upload these things?

Crazy (1080p) http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...73-5b1efded9a8a

Extreme (1080p) http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...e0-2a5ded72442b

High (1080p) http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...30-27a3334e688f

So is this basically saying that a stock 1080 just about beats a fully overclocked 980ti, but not by all that much?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 9, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bardeh posted:

So is this basically saying that a stock 1080 just about beats a fully overclocked 980ti, but not by all that much?

It's probably not a good benchmark for a number of reasons. Most importantly it's at too low of a resolution for its capabilities. We probably can't tell how much of a difference the new, faster memory makes with these benchmarks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I question that benchmark, as it reports a 0 x 0 screen resolution. Compare with: http://www.ashesofthesingularity.co...f5-96f57ff540f7 which is a benchmark using the same processor, same game version, but more importantly reports the screen resolution properly.

I still wouldn't even compare the two, as that AMD benchmark has only 16 GB of RAM anyways, so this is all still speculation.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 9, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Who's Tom and what did he do that he's possibly fired from nvidia for doing? Someone linked to the entire reveal presentation some pages back but I don't want to watch the whole thing.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who's Tom and what did he do that he's possibly fired from nvidia for doing? Someone linked to the entire reveal presentation some pages back but I don't want to watch the whole thing.

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAueZ_VWBUU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I'm watching it. Which one is Tom? The guy that's not on the stage right? They both sound pretty awful actually.

e: I don't really understand the context here. How is Tom the one in the wrong here? Not trying to white knight him or anything, I just really don't understand what's going on here.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 9, 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm watching it. Which one is Tom? The guy that's not on the stage right? They both sound pretty awful actually.

Tom is the one who doesn't call other guy Tom

Edit: Yeah, many feel the same way.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SinineSiil posted:

Tom is the one who doesn't call other guy Tom

No poo poo but the video is literally two voices talking to each other with a backdrop of green boxes so forgive me if I don't recognize who is who especially when people are making it sound like Tom is the super idiot one when the not-Tom guy is also really loving stupid in the video too.