Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

They haven't made the new guide public yet but to get ready for relaunch, do the following:

1) Download, install and patch the official DAoC client (you should use a totally separate client for Uthgard if you also play on other freeshards or on Live)

2) Install the .NET Framework 4.6

3) Install the C++ Redistributable for VS 2015 for x86

You don't need the DOL Portal software; Uthgard uses its own custom launcher which will be available to download when Beta starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I decided to say gently caress it and got a month. Rolled a menty for crack and nostalgia on Ywain. If there are any goons there, hit me up. Chickenbomber

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

Kazvall posted:

I'm going to start as either Friar, then go Inf. Or perhaps Merc then go Minstrel. I think doing Friar, focusing on tailoring/trinketting, and easily gearing up an inf for PvP would be the easiest route. Once I have a bunch of respec stones, I'll do my autotrain characters.

Remember, you only have to not be specced into the autotrain line, at the moment you ding. So you can get, say, level 39.9 then go back to town to reset your points. Hit a couple mobs to ding, and get your AT points, then you spec again.

I am NOT doing another AT character without this method.

Hey Goons,

I played DAOC for a bit when SI dropped and then a few years ago started up again and made a Molvik toon.

Anyway, heard about Uthgard just in time for beta and had a couple questions:

1. Will certain craft specs be limited to particular classes, and will it be possible to skill up all crafts on one toon?
2. How undesirable will Scouts be for PVE and RVR?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

admiral.baby posted:

Hey Goons,

I played DAOC for a bit when SI dropped and then a few years ago started up again and made a Molvik toon.

1. Will certain craft specs be limited to particular classes, and will it be possible to skill up all crafts on one toon?

The server is going to be patch level 1.65

I am pretty sure this means only certain races/classes can become certain types of tradeskillers. You will NOT be able to LGM all the lines on one guy. You can get, say, an LGM tailor and also have metal/wood/cloth working or whatnot up to that level, as well.

Scouts might have it a bit rough with assassins having detect hidden. Obviously you'll have camo up every 30 minutes to try and counter that. The fact that you can slam, run away, and kite does go a long way in your favor. If you have another stealth friend to duo with, then by all means play a Scout. I'm thinking about inf just because of 9sec dragonfang.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

admiral.baby posted:

Hey Goons,

http://web.archive.org/web/20031203014432/http://www.camelotherald.com/tradeskills/ shows you which classes can have which tradeskills, as well as the caps for other tradeskills.

Solo as any Archer will be an exercise in futility, except for maybe higher realm rank melee-spec Rangers. Pair up with an Infiltrator buddy or trio with a Minstrel or just full on stealth zerg it up and it should be ok. PVE will probably be rough going unless you make friends.

edit: On another note, you can now create your account, download the Uthgard launcher, and patch your client in preparation for the Beta that starts on Saturday!

https://uthgard.org/ has the countdown clock with some stuff about Beta

https://uthgard.org/howto walks you through setting up your client and creating your account

Hardbody Jones fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 5, 2016

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031203014432/http://www.camelotherald.com/tradeskills/ shows you which classes can have which tradeskills, as well as the caps for other tradeskills.

Solo as any Archer will be an exercise in futility, except for maybe higher realm rank melee-spec Rangers. Pair up with an Infiltrator buddy or trio with a Minstrel or just full on stealth zerg it up and it should be ok. PVE will probably be rough going unless you make friends.

edit: On another note, you can now create your account, download the Uthgard launcher, and patch your client in preparation for the Beta that starts on Saturday!

https://uthgard.org/ has the countdown clock with some stuff about Beta

https://uthgard.org/howto walks you through setting up your client and creating your account

Thanks for that - good info.

Wondering how many goons are planning to play and what realms/classes. Goon guild?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll be making a guild. It won't necessarily be goon only. It will be in albion. Maybe we'll do more of a roll call when poo poo goes live.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I still dont understand the appeal of going back to the old leveling system. It was always the worst part of DAoC. I guess to each their own but it was never fun to spend 2 hours looking for groups because you didnt happen to be in one of the large guilds/alliances (and even then...).

I really wish Mythic hadnt died. Id kill for a modern DAoC. :(

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Nostalgia! And it beats what they have on live right now.
Also there won't be any problems finding a group when it starts, it's going to be packed.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Oh god they're sticking with the unlimited range See Hidden for assassin classes. I remember trying that out for the first time and seeing some poor bastard Hunter at max draw distance crawling along a hill in the nice green rolling hills of Emain. Grey-black splotch stood out like a sore thumb. Brain had trouble processing it, surely this is a bug. No. It's not. This is so comically unfair.

Was autotrain a thing in that era? Wherein I could sneak extra skill points into a build by leveling up with unique style gimped as gently caress? Is there a list of skills that will autotrain somewhere?

edit: Allegedly this. Hahahah Mythic. So many memories coming back. I'm in.
ALBION

Class - Skills auto trained
Armsman Slashing, Thrusting
Infiltrator Stealth
Mercenary Slashing, Thrusting
Minstrel Instruments
Paladin Chants, Slashing
Reaver Slashing, Flexible Weapons
Scout Long Bows

HIBERNIA

Nightshade Stealth
Ranger Recurved Bows

MIDGARD

Shadowblade Stealth
Warrior Axes, Hammers, Swords

Deuce fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 6, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This is why you use respec stones to cheat the autotrain. :D

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Kazvall posted:

This is why you use respec stones to cheat the autotrain. :D

I can't even remember what drops those. Dragons and Darkness Falls bosses?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dragon.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
This is an old question, but back when dragon's first came out, I remember being part of a raid that got all the way to the Hib dragon. Had something like 40-50 people there, but the dragon literally wiped the raid in probably 5 seconds, several times, and we never tried again.

What happened, and how did guilds ever down them?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Noah posted:

This is an old question, but back when dragon's first came out, I remember being part of a raid that got all the way to the Hib dragon. Had something like 40-50 people there, but the dragon literally wiped the raid in probably 5 seconds, several times, and we never tried again.

I have vague recollections that the Hib dragon would sometimes freak out and spam his AOE attack. I think it took a while for players to finally figure out what was triggering it.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 7, 2016

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Do we have a Discord that we can hang out in?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Tanreall posted:

Do we have a Discord that we can hang out in?

Yes, I have one set up. I'll post a link later, after I make it perm.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

this should be perm: https://discord.gg/0qhecUGK8tfEvvje

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

1300 people on right now

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Trolls everywhere

XP nowhere

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I started poking around a bit leveling a cleric, although I think I might make it a friar just for beta since it's easier to run around on by myself.

One thing I miss is UI customization. Do the modern UI mods work on Uthgard? I mean, custom UIs didn't even work back in 1.65 if I'm remembering correctly and it seems like they have full support.

So another thing I'm wondering about.. With no buffbots, how does an alb group keep everyone fully buffed? Two clerics seems like they're going to have a tough time. Seems like Mid/Hib groups are more predisposed to having a decent amount of buff coverage.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I don't know which realm to play as. In the beta I am thinking Hibernia, but for the main release I was going to go Alb. But with no Det for Paladins, endo in groups is going to be sorely missed.

Also, afaik, the respec stone thing doesn't work in Albion on this server. You'd have to look into it, but I am pretty sure it's a no go.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have used the stone method before. When you're about to hit an AT level, you respec first, then level and you'll get the points.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

So you could level up to 39 as a Paladin, with chants, spec in crush to gain AT in slash, get a respec stone, use it before you ding, respec out of chants, hit 40, use that level respec to respec out of crush, and then get help for the next 8 levels while you Auto slash and chant to get the max possible AT?

Sounds good, but you'd have to have a group that'd want to help you along for those last 8 levels, because I don't think just being max specced in shield is really going to help you much in groups.

On the flip side, being able to take 50 shield, 48 chant, 29 slash, 13 parry would make you a bloody good team member at the end of it though.

Edit: If there is no det for Paladins in this server, which it looks like will be true, then they're not going to be wanted as much in groups, which is a shame, which makes getting endo in groups harder, which means taking a fuckload of pots with you when you RvR, and I don't really like that idea. I am playing Hib at the moment to give it a try, but I am sorely tempted by Midgard.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 8, 2016

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The Dark Project posted:

So you could level up to 39 as a Paladin, with chants, spec in crush to gain AT in slash, get a respec stone, use it before you ding, respec out of chants, hit 40, use that level respec to respec out of crush, and then get help for the next 8 levels while you Auto slash and chant to get the max possible AT?

Sounds good, but you'd have to have a group that'd want to help you along for those last 8 levels, because I don't think just being max specced in shield is really going to help you much in groups.

On the flip side, being able to take 50 shield, 48 chant, 29 slash, 13 parry would make you a bloody good team member at the end of it though.

Edit: If there is no det for Paladins in this server, which it looks like will be true, then they're not going to be wanted as much in groups, which is a shame, which makes getting endo in groups harder, which means taking a fuckload of pots with you when you RvR, and I don't really like that idea. I am playing Hib at the moment to give it a try, but I am sorely tempted by Midgard.

I think you need to use the stones at each AT level (i.e. multiples of 4) because you only gain anything if you actually let the level-up process increase your skill for you.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

No like, you auto to 36 or 40. Then you train. Before you hit 40 or 44 or 48, that's when you use the stone. Then you spec again and repeat in 4 levels.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Conversely if you did not AT at all, and you dropped all your points before 40, you would get the AT points just for that level.

E: The whole point in doing it with stones is so that you can level while specced and not be a big rear end in a top hat to your group.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 8, 2016

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

It's the one thing which I think Genesis got completely correct - Giving you the points regardless if you're specced or not.

Having a Paladin who could level up and be group useful whilst also getting the points they need to be as optimal as possible was a really great idea. I know it was done on the live servers first, but Genesis also picking it up and going with it was a good thing to do.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
poo poo I forgot all about this!

Is there an eta on go live or did I miss it in the thread?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I completely agree. But that's classic daoc for ya.

Also, I wouldn't use Genesis as an example of properly implemented anything. They still have major bugs with band aid fixes.

No ETA shath

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

uguu posted:

They're very good interrupters.

But good players don't need interrupts. Good players 1 shot everything.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BDs are so OP. 4 second lifetap ftw

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Noah posted:

With the old Hib dragon you could do it with 3 solid groups. Each group would clump together and the groups themselves would spread out slightly in a triangle just close enough to melee the dragon. The AOE would level one or two groups but not everyone. Quick rezzes were the key.

Also, live is great fun right now. You're missing out.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

ButtaKnife posted:

With the old Hib dragon you could do it with 3 solid groups. Each group would clump together and the groups themselves would spread out slightly in a triangle just close enough to melee the dragon. The AOE would level one or two groups but not everyone. Quick rezzes were the key.

Also, live is great fun right now. You're missing out.

Whats population look like on live these days?

I've been bashing around on the Uthgard beta and its been pretty enjoyable. I have a soft spot for pre-ToA DAoC.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

Whats population look like on live these days?

I've been bashing around on the Uthgard beta and its been pretty enjoyable. I have a soft spot for pre-ToA DAoC.

Ditto. How viable is live w/o a buffbot?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

admiral.baby posted:

Ditto. How viable is live w/o a buffbot?

Live is do-able without a bot, you can buy full buff tokens which last for 90+ min. They don't match a full buffbot with 25% to stat enhancement, but for getting up to speed and dipping your feet in they're more than sufficient. You can also buy/make potions which give you exactly the same buffs and carry them with you, they also have introduced Celerity pots for weapon haste. Live has always been fun, issues with TOA are non existant really any more and beyond a few artifacts which you can buy with glass, or bounty points it makes kitting out a new character quite quick.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

some behind the scenes stuff: http://blog.uthgard.org/

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ice Theurg + Necro Battery is the most hilarious broken poo poo. We're pulling 4-5 yellows at a time, and almost never sitting down to med.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

I've played EU primetime twice this week and it's the most fun I've had since coming back and playing with a friend. US prime time is absolute poo poo. It's visi zerg, stealth zerg, or 8 man hunting steaths and people running box quests.

bone app the teeth fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Goons going to set up a guild once Uthgard goes fully live? If so, which realm?

• Locked thread