Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Parrying in 3 is like one-for-one how 2 works. If you figured out how it works in 3, then you should be able to do it in 2 no problem.

Enemies kind of have to track you heavily for them to ever have a chance of hitting you with any kind of slower vertical attack: your basic movement speed is too fast otherwise. They could get away with this not happening in 1 because you moved slow as molasses in Dark Souls 1.

In Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, enemies generally either just attacked super fast or hit extremely wide angles around them. It looks less awkward, but honestly, it's less fair on the player than really accurate attack tracking.

Enemies still track in Dark Souls 3, at least, but they did a better job of hiding it with the animations. Now they tend to do a wind-up while being stationary or only tracking a small amount, then pivot and attack in your direction. It has the same effect, but looks a little more natural than DS2's turntable enemies.

I never found the wide sweeps to be such a big deal in Bloodborne, if only because dodging is fast, has very little wind-up or recovery, and costs little Stamina, so you're encouraged to spam-dodge.

Like, I get that the tracking in DS2 is necessary, but it's just not done as well as they do it later. It looks silly and it makes some enemies like a certain later enemy with a heavily-armored back just seem like they were designed for a different game where you might actually get behind them.

HMS Boromir posted:

I've lost a lot of steam as a DS2 defender. The more I reflect on it the more I realize how many mistakes it made. That said, it still provided that Souls exploration and challenge that we've all become addicted to, so even if it was a little sub-par, it's still worth its weight in gold.

You know what I actually do like about DS2? Its story. Especially with the additions in SOTFS, it has a very compelling story, more than compelling enough to stand up with the other two Dark Souls games. I found the very beginning of it really off-putting due to all the "you will do X and you won't even know why" and the sort of in-your-face "we're being so vague!" that it does, but later on things get pretty cool.

At least one NPC has a truly great story, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. I might have said earlier in the thread, but 2's lore is a lot more character focused than the other Souls games in a way I really dig. 1 and 3 are more about big picture, "what happens to the world/humanity, why/how do people continue to live" stuff IMO, but 2 is more about how smaller societies and individual people reacted to the horrors that come with the outbreak of the undead curse and the fading fire, rather than what happens to the world as a whole while/after the fire fades.

Or at least, VaatiVidya claims as much. But he makes it sound convincing and compelling, so hey, I'll roll with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah. I might have said earlier in the thread, but 2's lore is a lot more character focused than the other Souls games in a way I really dig. 1 and 3 are more about big picture, "what happens to the world/humanity, why/how do people continue to live" stuff IMO, but 2 is more about how smaller societies and individual people reacted to the horrors that come with the outbreak of the undead curse and the fading fire, rather than what happens to the world as a whole while/after the fire fades.

Or at least, VaatiVidya claims as much. But he makes it sound convincing and compelling, so hey, I'll roll with it.

I like that 3 carried a little bit of that forward by examining a lot of the legends of the linking of the Fire and how different societies treated the act, which I thought was really cool.

DS2 did do some really cool stuff, for all the poo poo I give it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Man, now I kinda want to try DS2 again, but I could never get behind any of the enemies, and once they started one-shotting me because my max health was lowered, I really lost my enthusiasm for the game. I think I've got all of 2 hours in it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the beginning is undeniably rough but the entire game is very definitely not as bad

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Harrow posted:

Enemies still track in Dark Souls 3, at least, but they did a better job of hiding it with the animations. Now they tend to do a wind-up while being stationary or only tracking a small amount, then pivot and attack in your direction. It has the same effect, but looks a little more natural than DS2's turntable enemies.

I never found the wide sweeps to be such a big deal in Bloodborne, if only because dodging is fast, has very little wind-up or recovery, and costs little Stamina, so you're encouraged to spam-dodge.

Like, I get that the tracking in DS2 is necessary, but it's just not done as well as they do it later. It looks silly and it makes some enemies like a certain later enemy with a heavily-armored back just seem like they were designed for a different game where you might actually get behind them.

You know what I actually do like about DS2? Its story. Especially with the additions in SOTFS, it has a very compelling story, more than compelling enough to stand up with the other two Dark Souls games. I found the very beginning of it really off-putting due to all the "you will do X and you won't even know why" and the sort of in-your-face "we're being so vague!" that it does, but later on things get pretty cool.

At least one NPC has a truly great story, too.

Personally I wouldn't say 'especially with the additions in SOTFS.' It has a great story because of the additions. Vanilla DS2's plot was awful and went nowhere, and I don't think I'll ever fail to be amazed at how well From managed to make something fantastic out of it with even the handful of NPCs they added with the expansions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I've never actually seen the original LP and went back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkNGZn81LAc&t=1135s

This is the biggest lie ever told.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I was young and foolish then

I feel old and foolish now

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know, because I caught the first LP so late that it was nearly finished, but I don't think people talked about that guy who comes up with Dark Souls enemy concepts, in this thread specifically. So I wanna bring it up a bit.

They're very cool, and they put the fear of god in you.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Holy poo poo, there's a second starting area? I kept throwing myself against those giant knights over and over and getting nowhere. Those were the fuckers that made me ragequit the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When I saw the big guys I thought 'Oh this is probably the graveyard in DS1' and went back to look for another area. So you just never found the giant area?!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

It makes sense. The opening cinematic of DS1 is about how the world was formed, while the opening of DS2 is all about you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know, because I caught the first LP so late that it was nearly finished, but I don't think people talked about that guy who comes up with Dark Souls enemy concepts, in this thread specifically. So I wanna bring it up a bit.

They're very cool, and they put the fear of god in you.

This is the only Dark Souls enemy that has legitimately frightened me.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Suspicious Dish posted:

This is the only Dark Souls enemy that has legitimately frightened me.

That's just plain rude.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Dark Souls 2 has a couple of enemy moves that eventually birthed ways for enemies to deal with a quick player trying to get behind them, there just isn't enough of them. To not spoil anything in DS2: Dark Souls 3 has enemies and bosses that can quickly chain into a shieldbash behind them as they turn.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

IronSaber posted:

That's just plain rude.
This is so rude I kept expecting them to show up in 2 and 3. Bonfires are the only thing you can trust, the only beacons of safety in the harsh and unforgiving world.
Kinda weird From hasn't messed with that yet.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Spiritus Nox posted:

1 and 3 are divine melodrama with Wagnerian flair, 2 is an intimate journey of ersatz Buddhism spun through a western fantasy lens. I can dig it. One of the things I love about 2 is how quietly melancholy and bleak the whole thing is. That main menu music... :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

This is so rude I kept expecting them to show up in 2 and 3. Bonfires are the only thing you can trust, the only beacons of safety in the harsh and unforgiving world.

No.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SynthOrange posted:

So I've never actually seen the original LP and went back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkNGZn81LAc&t=1135s

This is the biggest lie ever told.

a very short sighted eagle

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mimics aren't scary. It's the ones with all the legs that keep me up at night. If it's got more than six legs, I have to close my eyes during that section.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 10, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Next stop: mimic soul item that eats your face when you try to use it. The clue is a randomly-placed typo in the description.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Lore mimic, if you can't name Gwinovere's half sister, the game eats you

The Ghost of Ember
Mar 21, 2009
LP Bot was a very big 'get' for the original LP and really critical to its success, any chance he'll be returning, or is he too big nowadays?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

anilEhilated posted:

Next stop: mimic soul item that eats your face when you try to use it. The clue is a randomly-placed typo in the description.

Mimic Armor. When you equip it, it slowly munches your body into it.

This game pissed me off when it launched. At the very beginning, you pick from classes at almost all seem to have some big deficiency; most enemies you run into punish you for trying to back stab, and your parry doesn't work like it used to. You find some tiny pigs in your safe spot that are ridiculously hard to kill. I forced myself to play into the first area (where Geop is now, the forest), and found some really bad looking backgrounds:

I just stopped playing, because it felt like this game was trying to leverage the "this game is so hard" idea with none of the care the first game had.

But now that I've picked it up again, this quickly goes away. The new areas have problems, but mainly aren't specifically engineered to gently caress over DS1 players. Weapons make more sense, enemies have less ridiculous moves, and the story gets more interesting. I'd say to people that dropped this game quickly, if you give it more time, it'll feel like a Dark Souls game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

Mimic Armor. When you equip it, it slowly munches your body into it.

This game pissed me off when it launched. At the very beginning, you pick from classes at almost all seem to have some big deficiency; most enemies you run into punish you for trying to back stab, and your parry doesn't work like it used to. You find some tiny pigs in your safe spot that are ridiculously hard to kill. I forced myself to play into the first area (where Geop is now, the forest), and found some really bad looking backgrounds:

I just stopped playing, because it felt like this game was trying to leverage the "this game is so hard" idea with none of the care the first game had.

But now that I've picked it up again, this quickly goes away. The new areas have problems, but mainly aren't specifically engineered to gently caress over DS1 players. Weapons make more sense, enemies have less ridiculous moves, and the story gets more interesting. I'd say to people that dropped this game quickly, if you give it more time, it'll feel like a Dark Souls game.

it'd probably help if you weren't playing the hard mode covenant though idk when that screenshot was taken

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Looper posted:

it'd probably help if you weren't playing the hard mode covenant though idk when that screenshot was taken

Yeah, I just grabbed that pic from a GIS

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 10, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There's a bunch of really low-res looking parts of the game. It's really apparent whenever you look at an area that is blocked off by a chest-high wall or something, so you cannot go there, it's the same floor as the rest of the castle/forest/whatever, but no decorations, no rubble or anything. Kinda jarring, yes. I only really noticed something quite as apparent in DS1 as you leave the Archives' prison: you overlook the garden with the Crystal Golems, but also a bunch of other foresty bits, and those you can't get to, and they look super bad. Of course, it'd kill the performance if they rendered that beautifully and every look at a distant area up to DS3 obviously uses low-poly models to simulate the "hey I was there three hours ago!" effect, but DS2 doesn't even have that effect, and it still looks terrible sometimes.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Guys, guys. We're seeing the first loving hour of what seems to be the first recording. I'm sure Geop will not be using the starting weapon forever and ever.

This poo poo will be like 100+ episodes again. Why are you even worried about a starting character using a starting weapon at the start of the game. :psyduck:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 10, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Mouse and keyboard isn't all that bad, but I am using autohotkey to avoid input lag problems. I'm absolutely terrible at playing almost anything with analogue sticks, it's like drunk souls all the goddamn time with me at the controller, I just can't keep my z axis level while looking around (armored core has been a masochistic pleasure, it's so much fun but even tracking a slow-moving target is an ordeal for me). The only gripe I really have with m+kb is that I wish the player character moved like a FPS guy - mouse rotates the player, not just the camera; A/D are always sidestep even without lockon.

DS2 being my first souls game, I don't think I even tried to block or parry the giant knights in heide, their weapons and swings are so massive that I expected that poo poo to just not work. Realising that my lovely little shield could actually block or deflect most attacks was eye-opening, but part of me wishes that I never figured this out and just kept playing the game using "roll through enemy swing" as my primary technique.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Crazy Achmed posted:

DS2 being my first souls game, I don't think I even tried to block or parry the giant knights in heide, their weapons and swings are so massive that I expected that poo poo to just not work. Realising that my lovely little shield could actually block or deflect most attacks was eye-opening, but part of me wishes that I never figured this out and just kept playing the game using "roll through enemy swing" as my primary technique.

I get you, I only started Dark Souls 1 recently and my dinky little shield does NOT look like it should be able to protect me from, say, a swing from a Taurus Demon. I've seen Geop's DS1 LP, but it still seems counterintuitive. Watching Geop struggle with giant gently caress-off enemies and facing them myself are completely different things. :shepface:

Of course, that makes being able to match those guys and fight them on one's own terms later that much more satisfying.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

Yeah. Sure, both DaS1 & DaS2 required a third-party fix, but with that both games' keyboard & mouse controls work fine.
So it just boils down to whatever control scheme you're more comfortable.

I've played all 3 games with mouse and keyboard only because I don't really like gamepads. As much as people think that is crazy, I feel it is the most natural thing in the world. Then comes my friend who only plays the game with a keyboard.

No mouse. Just the keyboard. And he's beat the game. And he's pretty good at it too.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The mouse is pretty vestigial in Dark Souls if you fight everything locked on. In retrospect I basically did play the first game with only the keyboard since I mostly controlled the camera with one button, either locking on or recentering.

Aithon posted:

I get you, I only started Dark Souls 1 recently and my dinky little shield does NOT look like it should be able to protect me from, say, a swing from a Taurus Demon.

I wonder what it is about my brain that made me not have this problem. Almost everyone I've watched play the game for the first time assumes they can't block huge swings from, say, the Asylum Demon, but I walked into that fight fully confident in the tiny plate of idiot metal I was holding up in front of my face.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Harrow posted:

This is an especially good solution since it's something the player has been able to do since at least dark souls 1. It's not very obvious unless you spent a lot of time mucking about with Zweihanders and the like, but breaking lock on from your opponent, starting a swing animation in one direction and pivoting part way through was a fun pvp trick in that game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://magcius.github.io/dunky.js/

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gimbal lock posted:

Dark Souls 2 has a couple of enemy moves that eventually birthed ways for enemies to deal with a quick player trying to get behind them, there just isn't enough of them. To not spoil anything in DS2: Dark Souls 3 has enemies and bosses that can quickly chain into a shieldbash behind them as they turn.

It really punishes the usual 'strafe to the shield/less offensive side'

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Sometimes i wonder why parrying and backstabbing is even a mechanic in DS2, it just hast so little situations where they are actually useful. Some later enemies are much easier to backstab and there is one type of knight that I can reliably parry. I think a player that did not play DS1 might not even bother with them because he learned early in the game that they suck. I guess what DS2 actually wanted to teach was to wait for the perfect moment or attack to parry or backstab. But that point just falls flat because in most cases it is easier to just give the enemies some regular swings and have them die in a few hits.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i think the original intention for backstabbing was to sneak up on people and stab them in the back. the intention wasnt to circlestrafe around people and then start stabbing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Iretep posted:

i think the original intention for backstabbing was to sneak up on people and stab them in the back. the intention wasnt to circlestrafe around people and then start stabbing.

I like how Bloodborne did them the best: you have to set up a backstab by hitting the target with a charged R2 from behind. This is easy if you sneak up on the target but very difficult in a fight (though totally doable against some enemies/bosses).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

I like how Bloodborne did them the best: you have to set up a backstab by hitting the target with a charged R2 from behind. This is easy if you sneak up on the target but very difficult in a fight (though totally doable against some enemies/bosses).

Except this had really negative consequences on PVP, since it meant there was no real way to punish someone running away from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Attestant posted:

Guys, guys. We're seeing the first loving hour of what seems to be the first recording. I'm sure Geop will not be using the starting weapon forever and ever.

This poo poo will be like 100+ episodes again. Why are you even worried about a starting character using a starting weapon at the start of the game. :psyduck:

Because Souls fans are the most intolerable of backseat gamers.

• Locked thread