Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Windows were installed earlier this week.

Roof sheeting is complete.

Shingles delivered on Thursday.

Fully installed by Friday.

They even installed my exhaust fan (figured it would be a good idea to have a fan to clear welding vapour and heat) and port for the furnace exhaust.

Electrician comes on Monday, gently caress yeah.

With the dumpster here, I also tossed a few thousand pounds of poo poo into it. Old bricks people 'donated' to me, lovely old plywood I saved for whatever reason, and scrap that's no good for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

Electrician comes on Monday, gently caress yeah.

Aww yeah, electrician was here.

Look at all those delicious, delicious outlets (there are like 7x 220v outlets in this thing total iirc, and more 120s)

So many sweet light fixture rough-ins.

Also they installed the door. And plumbed the gas line for the furnace. They had to cut the frame to install the door, they made the original hole too small, heh, someone done goofed. Whatever, just wood.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hot drat man, things are really coming along. Looking great.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Jesus, that panel is huge. You planning on converting this thing to a grow house later? :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Never have too many outlets in a workshop. Mines nowhere near as big as that and Ive got 7x 15A 240v and 23x 10A 240v outlets in it!

And an 80A feed :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus, that panel is huge. You planning on converting this thing to a grow house later? :v:

Multiple robot welder arms. :kamina:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^^^^ Just me in my garage, doctor octopus arms tending to my legalized weed farm in the rafters.

So last night I come home and the pile of gravel that got delivered on Tueday has been spread around, and there's all this rebar on the ground.

Then this morning these guys show up.

And I come home to this.

(stupid tumbleweed)

Aww gently caress yeah. Insulation, drywall, finishing electrical, siding and cladding (plus the garage doors) and we're golden baby.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Looking good! Also jesus that's a huge building, now that I have a cement truck for scale. Have you thought of installing solar on the roof? Am I imagining things, or do you have a double sole plate, ordinary lumber on top of pressure-treated? I wonder why it was done that way.

Pumping liquid concrete is the weirdest thing. Imagine a 6"-diameter hose running from the cement mixer to the place where the stuff's being poured, and every few seconds, the hose jerks forward and then back again. I wish I had a video from when I got my workshop's slab installed; there was just this gigantic python spasming across my back yard.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Requesting indoor Coronet burnout video once this monster is finished.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Requesting indoor Coronet burnout video once this monster is finished.

Next time I'm over there I'm lighting the civic up on it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Looking good! Also jesus that's a huge building, now that I have a cement truck for scale. Have you thought of installing solar on the roof?

Am I imagining things, or do you have a double sole plate, ordinary lumber on top of pressure-treated? I wonder why it was done that way.

Solar in Alberta doesn't really makes sense from an economic perspective. It'd be cool and desirable from a technical standpoint but it would take me to long to recover costs.

The pressure treated lumber was built in with the cement when they poured the foundation, the other sole plate just makes it easier to frame, they build it on flat ground, and lift in one piece to vertical.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

The pressure treated lumber was built in with the cement when they poured the foundation, the other sole plate just makes it easier to frame, they build it on flat ground, and lift in one piece to vertical.

Hm, how's the pressure-treated lumber connected to the foundation, then? I was expected the foundation to have embedded J-bolts that the sole plate would be bolted to.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Next time I'm over there I'm lighting the civic up on it.

Gotta test that vent fan.

:black101:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
That is almost my dream garage. I would want a bathroom but other then that its perfect.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Slung Blade posted:

Solar in Alberta doesn't really makes sense from an economic perspective. It'd be cool and desirable from a technical standpoint but it would take me to long to recover costs.

A way to make solar cheaply, make a solar air heater and put it on a south facing wall (to be useful in wintertime). It'd have to be large, but it would be a lot cheaper than a conventional setup, a roof setup would be nearly useless during winter when sun is coming from the side more than above. I assume you're att similar latitudes as I am in Finland.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Veeb0rg posted:

That is almost my dream garage. I would want a bathroom but other then that its perfect.

Oooh, and a utility sink. Bring in the jackhammers.

(That garage is awesome and so is this thread.)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hm, how's the pressure-treated lumber connected to the foundation, then? I was expected the foundation to have embedded J-bolts that the sole plate would be bolted to.

The cement was poured with those at the top of the form, I think. But yeah these guys hold the sole plate.

This week has been the slow cladding of the garage. The poor siders were getting their faces sandblasted off because of the wind on monday, thanks guys, sorry about that. :smith:
Also they brought in some cardboard to protect the cement sealer while they work on the interior.

Wednesday: doors!

And insulation / vapour barrier!

Check out how close the door tracks are to the ceiling.

Today: Drywall!

These two sides are done, still a little left on the other two walls.

Tomorrow: finishing electrical :science:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holy poo poo things are going fast now.

What's the finish material on the inside walls/ceiling? Been looking around for something cheap but easier to deal with then drywall for the ceiling of mine (walls are slowly becoming 3/4" plywood for maximum "I'm just gonna mount this here-ability)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the close-up on those anchor bolts. That's some pretty burly hardware there. I'm guessing you're not in earthquake country, but you do get a lot of wind?

The garage is looking good!

Motronic: isn't using plywood for interior wall finishing somewhat dangerous from a fire safety perspective? I thought one of the main reasons to use drywall was that it was somewhat fire-retardant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Motronic: isn't using plywood for interior wall finishing somewhat dangerous from a fire safety perspective? I thought one of the main reasons to use drywall was that it was somewhat fire-retardant.

It's certainly not as good as drywall for fire resistance, so it would be inappropriate for a 1 hour rated wall separating a garage from a home, etc. (unless you put double 5/8 drywall behind it) but it's not considered a "flammable wall covering" for which you can only have a maximum of 20% coverage (think untreated textiles, paper, etc).

Also - this is an outbuilding. If it gets cooking it's done anyway with no other harm done to anything. Obviously I'd like to avoid that, but the walls are hardly going to be the problem in a scenario like that: it's gonna be the contents and there's nothing but grass to protect outside of it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Motronic: it's just plain drywall inside, not getting it taped or mudded or anything. Drywall was my cheapest option.

TMA: yeah it gets insanely windy here. People lose shingles off of their roofs quite often.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Also - this is an outbuilding. If it gets cooking it's done anyway with no other harm done to anything. Obviously I'd like to avoid that, but the walls are hardly going to be the problem in a scenario like that: it's gonna be the contents and there's nothing but grass to protect outside of it.

Right, okay. I hadn't realized you were talking about your outbuilding when you mentioned using plywood. Carry on!

Slung Blade posted:

Motronic: it's just plain drywall inside, not getting it taped or mudded or anything. Drywall was my cheapest option.

Be glad you don't have to install it yourself, even without the taping/mudding. Drywall is a pain in the rear end to work with, heavy and fragile.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Be glad you don't have to install it yourself, even without the taping/mudding. Drywall is a pain in the rear end to work with, heavy and fragile.

I absolutely HATE rocking ceilings.

I think I might still have the pieces for my patent pending engine crane to drywall lift conversion around somewhere.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I absolutely HATE rocking ceilings.

I think I might still have the pieces for my patent pending engine crane to drywall lift conversion around somewhere.

That looks amazing, but how well does it handle angled ceilings? That's the hell I'm going through right now. At least I only need to put up a 4'x2' section at a time (enclosing the soffits at the gable ends of my workshop), which is light enough that I can hold it in position with one hand while the other hand grabs my drill, puts a screw on the screwdriver bit, and drives the screw. All while up a ladder, of course. :shepface:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That looks amazing, but how well does it handle angled ceilings?

Note the cathedral ceiling in that picture.

I built it specifically for that purpose. The drywall is retained on the downward side with a pair or rack ears off of a Cisco 3500 series switch.

Edit: You do have drywall bits, right?

Makes life so much easier.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 20, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Edit: You do have drywall bits, right?

Makes life so much easier.

Oh god dammit. Figures. No, I just got good at stopping the drill at the right time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh god dammit. Figures. No, I just got good at stopping the drill at the right time.

Those not only cam out of the screw but also leave you a perfect dimple around it for when you're mudding later. One quick skim and the screw is covered and it's flat with the rest of the rock.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Electricians came by yesterday. I picked up two of these outdoor fixtures for like 20 bucks at canadian tire.

LIGHT

Oh hello, what are these?

Low profile remote door openers, awesome :)

Also, a furnace!

I tried that thing out, oh man is it ever sweet. Warms up the whole garage in a couple minutes. I don't want to run it right now, the ceiling still isn't insulated, that happens next week.

-Siders still aren't quite done, but they are making good progress.
-The flaps on the exhaust fan are going to drive me insane, I need to build a little set of arms to keep them shut/hold them open in the wind.
-I've asked my builder to add a ramp skirt to the door entrances, I stupidly tried to cheap out on that but they're really good to have, just to keep the floor concrete in good shape.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Holy poo poo, lookin' fantastic. Although Dexter is the first thing that comes to mind. :chef:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Where's the gantry?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Coming soon, I have a lot of projects to build in here.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
God drat slung, that looks awesome. Great workshop!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Double post. I'll be that guy. Can you give us a ballpark of what that's costed? I don't know about costs in canada, but I'm going to guess $30-40k to get it finished out like that?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slung Blade posted:

-The flaps on the exhaust fan are going to drive me insane, I need to build a little set of arms to keep them shut/hold them open in the wind.

Oh loving oath they will. We had a flap installed into our bathroom vent for the ensuite that did nothing but go "CLUNK" any time a bird farted within 500m of the house.

Its blutacked open at the moment. Stupid idea anyway, you cant even notice a breeze coming out of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

Double post. I'll be that guy. Can you give us a ballpark of what that's costed? I don't know about costs in canada, but I'm going to guess $30-40k to get it finished out like that?

My workshop's a lot smaller (384 square feet, and only 12' tall at the ridge) and will, I estimate, have cost me around $25k by the time it's done -- half of which was taken up by the concrete slab. And I supplied all of the labor for everything except the slab myself, so that pricetag is just for the slab and materials and tools (granted, I get to keep the tools afterwards). Now, I am in the San Francisco Bay Area, which probably raises my prices somewhat, but I'd still guess that Slung Blade is going to be hitting $50k at bare minimum for this, and probably significantly more.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

dreesemonkey posted:

More than double your higher estimate. Don't have an exact figure yet because it's not done and I keep adding poo poo.

Pole barn would have been much more cost effective, but not nearly as nice in terms of insulation and final fit. Also pole barn floors are a pain in the dick to pour - you have to drill the pole footings and build everything and then pour the floor up against the sheet metal wall. Since there no frost wall above ground, I have never seen one that was rodent proof or looked totally right.

Also when I appealed to the county council for my building permit (because this is oversized for my lot) they took my meaning when I said "it will match the house" to mean "it will have siding and shingles", not just match in colour, which, yeah, my fault for not being 100% clear, but poo poo no one builds a shop in the country like this. I could have had that changed, but I would have had to appeal again, and after my initial anger subsided I actually wanted it to be built the way it is so I could have the nicest shop in town.

It's more money, but so what? :v:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Can't let the Glorious Leader work inside a hovel! Mayor reprezent :c00lbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

May long weekend in Alberta, JFC.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Slung Blade posted:

it is so I could have the nicest shop in town.

Find out why his neighbours hate him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

More than double your higher estimate. Don't have an exact figure yet because it's not done and I keep adding poo poo.

Pole barn would have been much more cost effective, but not nearly as nice in terms of insulation and final fit. Also pole barn floors are a pain in the dick to pour - you have to drill the pole footings and build everything and then pour the floor up against the sheet metal wall. Since there no frost wall above ground, I have never seen one that was rodent proof or looked totally right.

Also when I appealed to the county council for my building permit (because this is oversized for my lot) they took my meaning when I said "it will match the house" to mean "it will have siding and shingles", not just match in colour, which, yeah, my fault for not being 100% clear, but poo poo no one builds a shop in the country like this. I could have had that changed, but I would have had to appeal again, and after my initial anger subsided I actually wanted it to be built the way it is so I could have the nicest shop in town.

It's more money, but so what? :v:

Thanks, I think I'm somewhat jaded by watching people's builds on garage journal, and I didn't take the foundation/stick build into consideration. You're right, you could have saved a lot of money by doing a pole building if your climate allowed it.