Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The server state modifying your tendency is weird and dumb. Making it a very incomprehensible and obtuse system was bad enough, but tying that to variables that aren't even under your control is just mean. I can see what they were going for, adding secrets that would take people a LONG time to discover, but its so much work I just haven't bothered doing any of the things that require PBWT or PWWT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I only ever bothered doing pure white world tendency stuff, partly because one character was during a pure white tendency event but also because the server average tends to be between white and pure white. Starting off with the server average and then just making sure you don't drop it at all lets you get to pure white after 1-2 bosses.

It is a very dumb system though and from was definitely smart to get rid of it. They tried a lot of weird new stuff with demon's souls as the game pretty much pioneered everything about their asynchronous online system and established the framework for gameplay that they are still using. It's amazing it worked out as well as it did, looking back at it. And I think they were pretty intelligent in what they chose to put in their next game, what they evolved and what they got rid of.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was just thinking about how the Dragon God is still the coolest looking dragon. That's all.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Getting PBWT is actually super easy, you can permanently gently caress up pure white on a character (till NG+) but you can always just suicide in body form repeatedly for pure black and if you're playing online you're good till you reload the game.

Setting every world to PBWT at the start of a run is tedious (stockpile thomas dupe a stone from the nexus and then suicide every world to pure black), but it makes for a fun challenge since PBWT adds black phantom enemies around the world along with a global increase in enemy strength.

Add in NG+7 and SL 1 for a good time.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

wyoming posted:

Looking some things up on the wiki, I don't think I understand the World Tendency bit, like in Latria, a bridge showed up letting me get the key to free the ghost in the cell, but the rubble never cleared on that floor of the prison, I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to see if I had missed a passage or seeing if I could fall down there until I finally saw a note about how it was related to World Tendency, but reading the wiki, I'm not sure what I did to drop it..

Your world tendency is averaged against the server's world tendency the first time you visit the nexus after you load your game. Server world tendency tends to hover around +1 for most worlds and +2 for Boletaria, which when averaged against drags you away from pure white or black tendency immediately.

If you're doing tendency related stuff play offline or don't stop playing the game in the nexus, stay in the world you're in and do not visit the nexus next time you play until you're done with the tendency event. You will lose that tendency as soon as you visit the nexus due to the average.

I like the tendency portion of the game other than the server average which they didn't think through. An easier way to move towards white world tendency on demand would have have been an acceptable workaround.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The server state modifying your tendency is weird and dumb. Making it a very incomprehensible and obtuse system was bad enough, but tying that to variables that aren't even under your control is just mean. I can see what they were going for, adding secrets that would take people a LONG time to discover, but its so much work I just haven't bothered doing any of the things that require PBWT or PWWT.

I was kind of disappointed that Insight wasn't a new take on World Tendency in Bloodborne. Once I noticed that the Cathedral Ward enemies changed when I had 15 or more Insight I got excited and thought maybe it'd be like World Tendency--things change at high Insight and you see new enemies, new events, that kind of thing. Sadly it was only in the Cathedral Ward and the gameplay changes stopped at 15 Insight. You see some cool poo poo at really high Insight, of course, but that stops mattering post-Rom.

Something like Insight would be a great way to implement another take on World Tendency in the future--some sort of counter that builds up naturally through play that has risks and rewards for keeping it high, but also incentives to spend it and keep it low.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I was kind of disappointed that Insight wasn't a new take on World Tendency in Bloodborne. Once I noticed that the Cathedral Ward enemies changed when I had 15 or more Insight I got excited and thought maybe it'd be like World Tendency--things change at high Insight and you see new enemies, new events, that kind of thing. Sadly it was only in the Cathedral Ward and the gameplay changes stopped at 15 Insight. You see some cool poo poo at really high Insight, of course, but that stops mattering post-Rom.

Something like Insight would be a great way to implement another take on World Tendency in the future--some sort of counter that builds up naturally through play that has risks and rewards for keeping it high, but also incentives to spend it and keep it low.

Yeah, when BB first came out there were so many rumors about Insight changing bosses or this or that, but in the end it didn't really amount to anything. Same with beasthood.

And DS3 has a similar thing with the dark sigil, but they don't do a ton with it other than a couple NPC questines.

On the one hand souls games are all about their mystery so hiding some secrets that you don't find for awhile is great, but on the other hand why work so long on content that most of the players will never see?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hi, I just started playing this game is there anything I should know? I've beaten two DaS games and BB so I mostly know what I'm doing, I was just wondering if there's anything unique to this that's not immediately obvious. I hear upgrading is a lot more complex but so far all I've been able to do is add + numbers anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Hi, I just started playing this game is there anything I should know? I've beaten two DaS games and BB so I mostly know what I'm doing, I was just wondering if there's anything unique to this that's not immediately obvious. I hear upgrading is a lot more complex but so far all I've been able to do is add + numbers anyway.

You're going to get a thousand posts telling you every drat thing in the game but really just play and discover it yourself :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I was just thinking about how the Dragon God is still the coolest looking dragon. That's all.

when he shows up in the intro cinematic it is really cool, but then you fight him and it's such a disappointment

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Upgrading isn't really more complicated, there's just more options and grinding the upgrade materials is a huge pain.

Mostly you already know what you're doing from DaS.

Each of the *-1 worlds are mostly easier than the *-2 worlds and so on, so try playing each world once before you try to plow all the way through world 1-3 or whatever. The fun part of DeS is if you get stuck in one world you can progress in another and come back later.

That's about all you need to know. There's an additional system called 'character tendency' and 'world tendency' that lets you unlock some small secrets, but its kinda a pain in the rear end to manipulate and its mostly minor so I would leave it until you do a second run of the game to really bother with that, kinda like NPC questlines. Its best to just read the wiki on how to do it, so save it for later and don't spoil everything by reading the wiki now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The weapon upgrades make no sense in this and there are systems called world tendency and character tendency that you will almost certainly not figure out on your own. While you shouldn't worry about trying really hard to manipulate them or whatever, you may want to know how they work. I would glance at these pages but not look at any other info, as basically everything else works like you'd expect from the souls games.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-tendency

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

when he shows up in the intro cinematic it is really cool, but then you fight him and it's such a disappointment

I just pretend he looks as cool as the cinematic in the actual fight.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Digirat posted:

Remember when we got that big message on login about the servers going away back in 2012 or something? Heh.

Yeah that was so great. When From realized that every single Souls game just brings in more players to the original game, they decided to keep them up.

It's four years after their due shut-down date, and DeS is still trucking along. It's the mark of a truly great game.

Dark Souls 1 and 2 have the same benefit, even now you will find signs in them. When players try a Souls game for the first time, they tend to play them all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

1. Upgrade paths aren't really that complex--there's just more of them. I can't remember if I've seen you in the DS3 thread or not, but there are about as many upgrade paths as there are in that. This time, you actually do use different upgrade materials for each upgrade path, and some are rarer than others. But if you're just planning on getting through the game and having fun, it's never really something you have to pay that much attention to.

2. Don't worry too much about being in Soul Form. You have 50% max HP in that form (75% with the Cling Ring, which you'll get very early on), but the game is sort of balanced around it, so you don't need to scramble to get back to Body Form unless you're trying to do things online or trying to manipulate World Tendency.

3. Look up a guide on World Tendency if you care about it at all. And if you're trying to control it, don't play online--your own World Tendency is affected by the average of World Tendencies online so it's really tough to control, whereas it's pretty simple to control if you're offline. I'd explain how it works in a post, but it's just wordy enough that it probably won't mean much to you right now.

4. Don't use boss souls unless you're absolutely sure you don't want to turn them into something useful. Unlike Dark Souls 1 and 2, boss souls don't just turn into weapons--they can be turned into spells, too, and they make some really good spells, so don't just assume you don't want the weapons they turn into and eat them if you're a mage. (If you've played DS3, you probably already know that boss souls turn into spells.)

5. Speaking of mages: starting as a Royal is easy mode. I'm not kidding. Magic trivializes Demon's Souls maybe more than it does any other Souls game. There's nothing wrong with that and it's fun in its own way, but know what you're getting into. (The reason Royal is better than Magician for chumping the whole game is because you start with an item that passively regenerates MP as Royalty.)

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah that was so great. When From realized that every single Souls game just brings in more players to the original game, they decided to keep them up.

I think it's Atlus keeping Demon's Souls's servers running, not From. Either way I'm glad it's still kickin'.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's four years after their due shut-down date, and DeS is still trucking along. It's the mark of a truly great game.

Dark Souls 1 and 2 have the same benefit, even now you will find signs in them. When players try a Souls game for the first time, they tend to play them all.

Its weird there was that fakeout with DS1 where MS made everybody think GFWL was dying, but then they moved DS1 to steamworks so it was saved, and then MS was like "what are you guys talking about GFWL isn't going anywhere we didn't say that?" and everybody just ignored them?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HaB posted:

The World Tendency stuff is a neat idea, but wasn't implemented very well. I remember at one time there was a way to manipulate it with a hack of some kind someone came up with. You have to hit both extreme ends of the spectrum for both World and Character Tendency to see 100% of the content, iirc.

Regardless of how dumb the implementation is, you totally aren't meant to see everything on a single character. If you do one character on black tendency and one on white, you can reasonably well expect to also then cover most of the other optional tendency stuff in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But at the same time it's not that hard to do both on one character with a little planning and/or diving off the top of the nexus every boss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno whether it was the best placed to start after the first boss but I seem to be making some headway in the Tower of Latria, and by headway I mean oh god I'm confused.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno whether it was the best placed to start after the first boss but I seem to be making some headway in the Tower of Latria, and by headway I mean oh god I'm confused.

Its one of the best levels in the entire souls series. Everybody has fond memories of tower of latria.

You could actually try 1-2, its pretty easy really. But otherwise at least poke your head in all the *-1 worlds to see how they go. 2-1 isn't too bad and feels like a normal souls level you can explore at your own pace like 1-1 was. 3-1 is pretty spoopy. 4-1 has some real tough enemies. 5-1 is pretty miserable :)

And then the *-2 and *-3 worlds get even crazier :getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like to grab the great club from 2-1 and use it to smash skeletons in 4-1 and 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Am I going to be at a huge disadvantage going no shield and two handing a weapon the whole time? That's how I played the other Souls games but the amount of tight corridors with no room to manoeuvre combined with the less versatile roll is making me wonder.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Am I going to be at a huge disadvantage going no shield and two handing a weapon the whole time? That's how I played the other Souls games but the amount of tight corridors with no room to manoeuvre combined with the less versatile roll is making me wonder.

Considering that 3 of the most popular weapons are almost always used two handed probably not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shields are really good in demon's souls but you don't need one to win. use the meat cleaver and knock dudes down all day every day. might wanna have the adjudicator's shield equipped for the passive hp regen even if you don't use it tho

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Regen stacking is pretty drat ridiculous in this game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah. you can just hang out in the poison swamp if you stack enough

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The fact that this thread is still fairly consistently active makes me happy. Game is so fuckin' good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is the best thread on the entirety of SA.

EDIT:

Reading through my old posts is great. Pure fear in the start and by the end I was naked and slaughtering everything. I wish they'd put a HD version out.

Also this:

quote:

Fat Minister: hehe heh hehe hehe *flame sound*

You died.

Demons Souls.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 12, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After putting Demon's Souls on the back burner for a bit, I actually made some decent progress today, I killed the giant statue thing from Jason and the Argonauts and some sort of armoured spider. I also found a pretty sweet mace and dropped into a nest of shining lizards so it's like +7 now. All the upgrade materials apart from sharp and heavy seem pretty rare so I'm just sticking to standard infusion at the moment. My mace has native bleed, is that actually going to be useful in this game?
Oh and I lost some armour because of item burden :argh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Bleed sucks in this, its like a weak poison effect.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I wish they'd put a HD version out.

http://gearnuke.com/unannounced-ps4-phyre-engine-port-development-heavy-rain-ps4-dev-possibly-demons-souls/

Can't let myself get excited in case this ends up being nothing. Man, please, please let this happen.

Sakurazuka posted:

After putting Demon's Souls on the back burner for a bit, I actually made some decent progress today, I killed the giant statue thing from Jason and the Argonauts and some sort of armoured spider. I also found a pretty sweet mace and dropped into a nest of shining lizards so it's like +7 now. All the upgrade materials apart from sharp and heavy seem pretty rare so I'm just sticking to standard infusion at the moment. My mace has native bleed, is that actually going to be useful in this game?
Oh and I lost some armour because of item burden :argh:

The armor set on the side of the cliff in 2-2? I ALWAYS gently caress that up and manage to forget that I'm near capacity when I get there. Its like, a tradition.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, I killed a woman(?) with a machete thing down the path to the left of where you start in 1-1, it was locked before I think it's a tendency secret bit? Anyway I killed her and got her armour set then carried on down and picked up another heavy set, forgetting that I had tons of various upgrade materials on me, some of which actually weigh a fair bit, and then I had to drop the legs. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, I killed a woman(?) with a machete thing down the path to the left of where you start in 1-1, it was locked before I think it's a tendency secret bit? Anyway I killed her and got her armour set then carried on down and picked up another heavy set, forgetting that I had tons of various upgrade materials on me, some of which actually weigh a fair bit, and then I had to drop the legs. :(

Oh yeah, that requires PWWT or PBWT. That's the brushwood set which is stupidly heavy. Even if your inventory is pretty much empty you still might need the ring of strength to carry the whole thing.

And that's Executioner Miralda, the precursor to Maneater Mildred.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was there more to her than back stabbing her a couple of times? She gets a loading screen and everything.
Oh yeah, I was also very pleased that I finally beat the red eye knight on the battlements in 1-1, only to discover the only thing behind him was a soul item and a locked door. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Was there more to her than back stabbing her a couple of times? She gets a loading screen and everything.
Oh yeah, I was also very pleased that I finally beat the red eye knight on the battlements in 1-1, only to discover the only thing behind him was a soul item and a locked door. :(

Did you fight her as a black phantom or as a normal NPC? (depends upon PWWT or PBWT)

Nah there's not much to her other than stabbing her. She gets a loading screen because she's part of the backstory along with most of the other major NPCs and knights who served the king.

Yeah that red eyes knight is a real fucker early on, like the black knight in Undead Burg in DS1. But then you get nothing for it!

That locked door will be very important later on, don't worry :)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The servers are down, RIP Demon's Souls.
Actually some dude from Atlus said on twitter he didn't know what was going on, but was looking into it, so, maybe not RIP?
Either way it's kind of spooky playing the game offline, only a scant few dev messages and ghosts to show you things (like pulling a lever apparently?)

NG+ was kicking my rear end, so I decided to make a new character, a strength/faith one this time. Currently fatrolling around and wrecking poo poo with a meat clever.
Also managed to get the white world tendency events in Latria and Stonefang this time.
It was kinda funny, I decided to fight Yurt on top of that tower this time, and one backstab sent him flying off the edge. RIP creepy buddy.
Though interestingly, it was Yuria that warned me about him this time, last game it was Patches.
Suppose I should start on the Valley next. :sigh:

Vintersorg posted:

Fat Minister: hehe heh hehe hehe *flame sound*

You died.

Demons Souls.

Pretty much why I gave up on NG+ :v:

Sakurazuka posted:

She talks to you if you're in human form, doesn't say much but it's creepy. I think in black world tendency you can fight a phantom version of her for her guillotine blade.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fought her just as my normal dude, I'm on white tendency as far as I know. Not that I know how.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Fought her just as my normal dude, I'm on white tendency as far as I know. Not that I know how.

Not you; her. Was SHE a black phantom or not. I guess that means not, which means that you're PWWT.

If you're in PBWT she invades you as a black phantom.

As for how, probably just killing lots of bosses without dying much. Good job!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah I met Patches too, he told me I could take an item as a sign of friendship so I turned around and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

World Tendency moves towards white when you kill a boss or a black phantom. It moves towards black when you die in body form (and other things, but that's by far the easiest way to do it). If you're playing offline (not that you have a choice right now) and don't die in body form a whole bunch, you'll be at Pure White by the time you finish a world's bosses pretty easily. Getting from Pure Black to Pure White is much harder than going the other way around.

• Locked thread