Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah one body with the 70-200 and another with something wider on tends to be the go to for single shooter weddings. No messing around with lens changes or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been loving up my dev a lot recently, first I forgot to put the retaining ring on top of the film spools in my daylight tank doing some B&W earlier in the week resulting in uneven development at the top, and I'm not 100% sure what I did today with C-41 but I guess it's temperature related, all my pictures have a really awful blue cast. Need to shoot more and get back into practice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah one body with the 70-200 and another with something wider on tends to be the go to for single shooter weddings. No messing around with lens changes or anything.

I do solo weddings with 2 bodies and primes. It's not difficult for a full time prime shooter to judge when and where to swap focal lengths.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It helps that for people using Canon gear, the 70-200 is basically everyone's first L lens.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

8th-snype posted:

I do solo weddings with 2 bodies and primes. It's not difficult for a full time prime shooter to judge when and where to swap focal lengths.

I did like 80% of my last wedding with a 24 1.4 and a 50 1.2. I like to stay close ish when I can.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

dakana posted:

I did like 80% of my last wedding with a 24 1.4 and a 50 1.2. I like to stay close ish when I can.

I generally keep an 85mm equivalent on one body then cycle the other body through 24, 35 and 50mm depending on room size and scene.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you deal with the distortion at 24? Lots of time in post?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

How do you deal with the distortion at 24? Lots of time in post?

Own a good 24mm? The 16mm Fujinon I use for that FOV is amazing.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can you show me? I was under the impression that it was just an inherit thing at those focal lengths to have a tonne of distortion. It's kinda why I haven't looked into getting one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Can you show me? I was under the impression that it was just an inherit thing at those focal lengths to have a tonne of distortion. It's kinda why I haven't looked into getting one.

Well "distortion" can mean lots of things. If you mean barrel distortion then most better wide angles are highly corrected for that , if you mean exaggerated perspective because a wide angle allows you to fill the frame with a thing very close to the camera then that's different. Anyway here's a quick Flickr tag search so you can see for yourself:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/Fujinon%20XF%2016mm%20f1.4

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're shooting digital it's very easy to correct for that kind of distortion in LR anyways.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

spog posted:

I have it and I like it.

Follow up question, does it work with zoom flashes like the SB-800 or SB-900?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Lenses don't affect flash compatibility. Both of those flashes will work fine.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

VelociBacon posted:

Lenses don't affect flash compatibility. Both of those flashes will work fine.

I'd assume they meant if the lens works with the auto-zoom feature of the flashes. As in: does the flash zoom when you zoom the lens?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Caryna posted:

I'd assume they meant if the lens works with the auto-zoom feature of the flashes. As in: does the flash zoom when you zoom the lens?

yes, this was what i meant

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

8th-snype posted:

Well "distortion" can mean lots of things. If you mean barrel distortion then most better wide angles are highly corrected for that , if you mean exaggerated perspective because a wide angle allows you to fill the frame with a thing very close to the camera then that's different. Anyway here's a quick Flickr tag search so you can see for yourself:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/Fujinon%20XF%2016mm%20f1.4

I meant the barrel distortion yeah. How does it look before editing?

I know a kit lens is going to have it way worse than a proper prime but I assumed theyd still need post work to correct it

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I meant the barrel distortion yeah. How does it look before editing?

I know a kit lens is going to have it way worse than a proper prime but I assumed theyd still need post work to correct it

Which brings me back to "buy a good 24mm", a modern well corrected one shouldn't need much if any post for distortion. This is SOOC in the kitchen at work:

(no I don't know which of my dumbass coworkers puts paper towels in the recycling but it drives me loving nuts)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Dunno, sorry.

Buy me an external flash and I'll test it for you.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Sooo this is my first time in this room to see if I could find some kind souls to help me fix some blurry photos, my friend thought they knew how to use a camera that was too complicated and all my graduation photos with my parents came out blurry. Any suggestions on where I could post to ask find help and see if they can be sharpened at all. I've linked them below, possibly willing to pay for help depending on results. If anyone can help or point me to where I might be able to find help I would appreciate it.

Also feel free to tell me this is a lost cause, I know literally nothing about photography or photo editing.

http://imgur.com/a/4JA6I

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That blur is unfortunately from missed focus (or no focus it looks like). I don't think there is anything anyone can do to fix that but I would love to be wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A photoshop expert could probably "fix" them but they'd basically be creating the image from scratch on top of the out of focus original. It would look terrible unless they're really good at their job (and expensive). And then it still might look terrible.

Whatever that camera is, throw it away or get it serviced because there's no reason it should have missed focus like that.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Ah, I see well reshoots it is!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

A photoshop expert could probably "fix" them but they'd basically be creating the image from scratch on top of the out of focus original. It would look terrible unless they're really good at their job (and expensive). And then it still might look terrible.

Whatever that camera is, throw it away or get it serviced because there's no reason it should have missed focus like that.

All the shots look to have the same wrong focus. Coulda been in manual focus instead of autofocus.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dren posted:

All the shots look to have the same wrong focus. Coulda been in manual focus instead of autofocus.

This is my guess as well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Alternatively shooting Nikon with a AF lens on a AF-S body.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, they're all focused on that wall in the background. I agree, it was probably in manual focus.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well then that's the second lesson, always check all settings prior to using a camera. :v:

Or leave the focus beep on if you're prone to stuff like that.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Yeah, Was not me or my camera but the person taking them had one of the complex cameras and apparently they forgot how to use it. Oh well, actually knowing there is nothing to fix just takes some stress off and we'll just have to retake the pictures

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stop asking soundmonkey to take your photos imo

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

8th-snype posted:

Which brings me back to "buy a good 24mm", a modern well corrected one shouldn't need much if any post for distortion. This is SOOC in the kitchen at work:

(no I don't know which of my dumbass coworkers puts paper towels in the recycling but it drives me loving nuts)

Thanks, I'll look at canons options and see how good they are.

I don't know why but adjusting for barrel distortion drives me insane, I can't get it right

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The TS-E 24mm II is probably the best lens I've ever used, but it's expensive and MF.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I don't know why but adjusting for barrel distortion drives me insane, I can't get it right

Adjusting for distortion is done for you by modern bodies/lenses if you're shooting JPEG and if you're shooting raw you click "enable profile corrections" in Lightroom to correct it. What is there to get right?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I'm shooting my first event next week - the commencement banquet for a university that I work for. I'm excited and a little nervous - I normally shoot street photography and friend get togethers. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

The woman who hired me said she'd prefer to not use flash. I have the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - is that going to cut it or should I plan on bringing a flash? I figured I can just bump the ISO up and shoot wide open(or close) and it should be fine.

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 16, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Karl Barks posted:

I'm shooting my first event next week - the commencement banquet for a university that I work for. I'm excited and a little nervous - I normally shoot street photography and friend get togethers. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

The woman who "hired" me (we're coworkers) said she'd prefer to not use flash. I have the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - is that going to cut it or should I plan on bringing a flash? I figured I can just bump the ISO up and shoot wide open(or close) and it should be fine.

Do you have anything longer than a 35? I'd try to borrow something with a lot more reach so you can get useable shots of people interacting. Something like a 70-200.

Also I tend to stop my aperture down a bit more when shooting live events than I would when I'm walking around shooting for art's sake. f/1.8 bokeh is nice but you often won't have time to double check that you're focusing properly and risk missing shot oppourtunities that could come up. I'd leave it in f/4 aperture priority and autoISO/shutter no less than 1/60 if you're not comfortable switching exposure settings quite quickly.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Karl Barks posted:

The woman who hired me said she'd prefer to not use flash. I have the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - is that going to cut it or should I plan on bringing a flash? I figured I can just bump the ISO up and shoot wide open(or close) and it should be fine.

Things to consider are where the banquet will be held (indoor vs. outdoor, big space or more enclosed) and the lighting, including the time of day if it's indoors with windows or outdoors.

The 18-35 is something like 27-52 equivalent, which gets you moderately wide to normal. You may want something even wider depending on the venue. I also like something on the longer side to get isolated pictures of people. I find that capturing one or two people having a "moment" is a lot more effective than just wide, faraway shots with a group sitting around a table. It's not impossible with something like an 18-35, but it's harder to get candid moments when you're shoving a camera in people's faces. My 85/1.8 (on full frame) is great for this purpose.

As far as dealing with the lighting, you can raise the ISO and lift shadows in post, but if there's a lot of hard lighting, it'll still be hard to make things look more natural--exposing for the lights and then pushing the shadows is liable to give you some really muddy tones. A flash will help a lot here, but make sure that a flash is allowed, and also check to see if the venue has walls or low enough ceilings that you can bounce the flash.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Thanks guys! This is on a D7000 so 404 has it right - it's 27-52 equivalent. I have the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 which I will bring as well, just not sure how it will perform without flash. The only other lens I have is a 50mm f/1.4, which I will bring for more candid close ups per your suggestion 404.

It's in Annenburg Hall from 6-9PM, so a giant cathedral like structure with very high ceiling. I don't actually own a speedlight, though I could get a hold of one pretty easily. I assume the camera flash is not enough?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Karl Barks posted:

Thanks guys! This is on a D7000 so 404 has it right - it's 27-52 equivalent. I have the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 which I will bring as well, just not sure how it will perform without flash. The only other lens I have is a 50mm f/1.4, which I will bring for more candid close ups per your suggestion 404.

It's in Annenburg Hall from 6-9PM, so a giant cathedral like structure with very high ceiling. I don't actually own a speedlight, though I could get a hold of one pretty easily. I assume the camera flash is not enough?

Camera flash is awful. You want to be able to bounce the flash off of a neutral wall or ceiling which is one of the reasons a speedlight is preferable.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

spog posted:

Why not LR and a local NAS?
I don't have any idea which system to use, but this sounds like a really good option and I'll do some googling, thanks.

Geektox posted:

LR would be horribly unwieldy for that many photos. Also LR refuses to run off of catalogues stored on network storage and I'm guessing that's gonna be a dealbreaker.
If I'm reading things right, you store the photos in the NAS but the catalog lives locally. But I don't know anything about it, still reading. Also, I used to regularly keep 30,000 photos in my lightroom catalogs in the past without any problems, and that was 5 years ago; granted the file-sizes were smaller, but I had less RAM back then, too. Maybe I'm just remembering it differently, it just didn't seem that unwieldy at the time.

Just curious, but what's stopping someone from keeping all their photos on dropbox, and then selectively only downloading to desktop the files you want to work on? The catalog you've created would be searchable, but you wouldn't be eating into your local storage.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 16, 2016

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

jackpot posted:

I don't have any idea which system to use, but this sounds like a really good option and I'll do some googling, thanks.

If I'm reading things right, you store the photos in the NAS but the catalog lives locally. But I don't know anything about it, still reading. Also, I used to regularly keep 30,000 photos in my lightroom catalogs in the past without any problems, and that was 5 years ago; granted the file-sizes were smaller, but I had less RAM back then, too. Maybe I'm just remembering it differently, it just didn't seem that unwieldy at the time.

Just curious, but what's stopping someone from keeping all their photos on dropbox, and then selectively only downloading to desktop the files you want to work on? The catalog you've created would be searchable, but you wouldn't be eating into your local storage.

Just to add to this debate, I have close to 250,000 photos in my LR catalog. I store it on a local drive (it's about 4GB, and I purge previews every now and then), and all of my photos are on my NAS connected via gigabit ethernet. Everything runs pretty smoothly. This is on my main editing machine with 16gb ram and an i7, though it's not noticeably faster to use a new catalog vs loading up the gigantor one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

dakana posted:

Just to add to this debate, I have close to 250,000 photos in my LR catalog. I store it on a local drive (it's about 4GB, and I purge previews every now and then), and all of my photos are on my NAS connected via gigabit ethernet. Everything runs pretty smoothly. This is on my main editing machine with 16gb ram and an i7, though it's not noticeably faster to use a new catalog vs loading up the gigantor one.

How is your LR catalog so small with that many photos? I have about 10k photos and my catalog is 12gb