Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Completely blew my mind, it was a board game in 1980 although Sid Meier says it didn't influence him (bollocks)

quote:

The story of Civ's genesis is neither simple nor straightforward. It's clear that a large confluence of inspirations ultimately combined in Meier's brain to form Civilization. As popular culture continually feeds on itself, the ingredients and influences that make up any particular work tend to be varied and complicated. In this case, add three parts Risk, two parts Sim City, one part Railroad Tycoon, and a heaping teaspoon of Sid Meier's design genius. Stir in a little Bruce Shelley for taste, set your oven to "Wild Bill Stealey," and out comes Civilization.

One of the most repeated and touted inspirations for Sid Meier's Civilization is the earlier Avalon Hill board game of the same name, designed by Francis Tresham for Hartland Trefoil in Britain. While Meier had no doubt heard of the game prior to 1990 through his connections with Bruce Shelley, he insists that the influence is not as strong as some claim. "I had not played that before I did Civilization," says Meier. "I played it later. I remember there were some cards and trading. It was more ancient; it didn't really come into any sort of modern or medieval times."

But connections, however thin, were there: Bruce Shelley had not only worked for Avalon Hill, the American publisher of Tresham's Civilization, but he created the American localization of Tresham's 1929 railroad game, a game which served as an admitted inspiration for Meier's earlier Railroad Tycoon. It should come as no surprise, then, that Shelley was intimately familiar with Tresham's Civilization. "I had played it many times," recalls Shelley. "I believe Sid had a copy of the game and looked at the components. I owned the original board game, but don't recall if I brought it into the office."

Regardless of the actual influence Tresham's classic had on Meier, players familiar with Avalon Hill's Civilization commonly note the significant difference in approach between the two, making Meier's software creation uniquely his. Soren Johnson, lead designer of Civilization IV, weighed in with his opinion on the issue in an interview for Civilization Chronicles: "The board game [is] quite linear. The difference in Civilization is that it branches, and I think that’s what the board game didn’t have."

Still, MicroProse wasn't willing to take any chances with any similarities between the two games; the company licensed the title "Civilization" from Avalon Hill for a small sum, delaying any legal wrangling over the title or intellectual property for nearly a decade.

According to Meier, his Civilization actually started as a glorified version of a favorite childhood board game. "It was kind of like Risk brought to life on the computer," muses Meier. "That was the original idea. And then we added the technology and the whole sense of history to it." Meier was also a big fan of an early computer game called Empire, which combined Risk-like world domination with intricate city management. "At one point, [Meier] asked me to make a list of 10 things I would do to Empire to make it a better game," says Shelley. "That was some of his research on Civilization."

Then the board game was rereleased

Anyway I think I'll get the board game, sounds fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
board games are for children

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was adapted into the computer game Advanced Civilization, op.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol if you have any friends that don't require you to press "Quick Game"

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

hang on. gonna read them words

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
a goon developed one of the civilization expansions too lol. she posts over in the traditional games boardgaming thread

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

hang on. gonna read them words

nope. i was mistaken

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

board games are for children

being a child owned

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Candyland is not a board game

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Node posted:

being a child owned

I have a confession to make:

I bought you that AV cos you said you didn't like it.

Sorry mate.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of board games are more fun to play on the computer. See also: XCOM.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
there is no need to play board games. we live in the age of electricity

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

someone buy me an avatar of a skeleton wearing a buckle hat

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

A lot of board games are more fun to play on the computer. See also: XCOM.

Xcom boardgame is just a computer game that comes with some cardboard toys

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
No, I'm not talking about the boardgame adaptation of the video game. I'm saying that XCOM the videogame is played just like a boardgame but it's a lot more fun on the PC when the computer can roll the dice for you and keep track of all the stats.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

In this case, add three parts Risk, two parts Sim City, one part Railroad Tycoon,

except Civ has pretty much nothing to do with those at all except very passing similarity maybe to Risk and Sim City

idk I buy that Sid Meier got the general idea from the board game and then expanded on it. It's not like 'game involving going from early man to modern age' is that wildly unique/innovative is it?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 16, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I've been playing as the African river lord guy and just loving stomp all these idiots

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I've been playing as the African river lord guy and just loving stomp all these idiots

hell yeah. HELL YEAH.

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

idk I buy that Sid Meier got the general idea from the board game and then expanded on it. It's not like 'game involving going from early man to modern age' is that wildly unique/innovative is it?
And as I understand it, the board game actually does not use that concept, and plays out entirely in the classical age.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

No, I'm not talking about the boardgame adaptation of the video game. I'm saying that XCOM the videogame is played just like a boardgame but it's a lot more fun on the PC when the computer can roll the dice for you and keep track of all the stats.

yeah agreed!

the best computer games are just board games that would be too tedious to play without the aid of a computer IMHO. like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, or Alpha Centurai, master of orion, or Nethack (and basically all Rogue-likes in general)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

more like bored game

-nefarious 2.0

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

board games are for poor people and the elderly

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
actually there's tons of fun and cool board games out there, it's just that the most accessible slash popular ones are the most boring to play usually

like Monopoly sucks actually for numerous reasons (no agency on the part of the player, total luck, optimal strategy is to just buy everything, if you lose you're totally out and have to wait for everyone else to finish the game), but for some reason it is a household name. Even Risk is pretty simplistic but of course half your friends 'don't get it' so lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Basically if someone who isn't "in" to board games knows it by name then it's a trash game for idiots.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Are you saying that Chess is a trash game for casuals?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

notZaar posted:

Are you saying that Chess is a trash game for casuals?

Chess is boring garbage. The mechanics are so limiting that it's really just a competition to see which player is a better beep boop computer. It's more math and memorization than actual strategy.

But no it's not for casuals. It's for tryhards wasting their effort on a boring game that is seen as deep just because it's old.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chomp8645 posted:

Chess is boring garbage. The mechanics are so limiting that it really become a competition to see who can act more like a computer. It's more math and memorization than actual strategy.

If you're upset that it doesn't have cool graphics and pew-pew noises, GOG just rereleased BattleChess. Perhaps that can take off some of that xcore gamer edge from your attitude, mister.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
BattleChess is good because it dispenses with the facade that there is anything interesting about chess and supplies the target audience (children who can't afford good games) with something to look at instead.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I tried to come up with a rebuttal but nothing's coming. Chess is good, dammit! That said, playing the game since I was six years old to now, I still cannot consistently beat a computer on "average" difficulty and my Chess.com record is pretty much the same.

I love Sid Meier's games but holy poo poo he loves to slap his name all over everything. According to this, he didn't even come up with the idea for Civ and Alpha Cen was just Dune without sandworms. Still a great game. I do lament never being able to play Gettysburg. Apparently it was highly thought of in its day (somewhere around 20 years ago).

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
mods hear my plea: ban everyone who posted itt, including me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

phasmid posted:

I tried to come up with a rebuttal but nothing's coming. Chess is good, dammit! That said, playing the game since I was six years old to now, I still cannot consistently beat a computer on "average" difficulty and my Chess.com record is pretty much the same.

I love Sid Meier's games but holy poo poo he loves to slap his name all over everything. According to this, he didn't even come up with the idea for Civ and Alpha Cen was just Dune without sandworms. Still a great game. I do lament never being able to play Gettysburg. Apparently it was highly thought of in its day (somewhere around 20 years ago).

He's not wrong about Chess being more math/memorization than actual strategy but that really only applies on the VERY high levels competitively speaking so... he's not actually right in terms of every day play between normal people.

It's a good game, if it wasn't it wouldn't have been around so long. Though it is true that if you read Chess books they are just basically 95% move for move replays of famous games that are meant to just be memorized so you know what to do in a similar situation in your own games in the future.

It's probably not a 'great' game though, in the sense that I'd much rather play something else with some friends most of the time. And it is also true that people who are good at Chess seem to think that makes them geniuses in general which is annoying.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
loving DO IT

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

I mean it was science fiction but I don't think it was much like Dune, it was more like a not-awful version of the Red Mars series (as well as really being Bryan Reynolds' thing more than Sid's).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I also like the game of 'LIFE'. Spinning that disc never gets old.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
There was a board game made based on the Firaxis Civilization license, was that any good?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have 3 cards, 1 is hides, and they are worth 3.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I will punch you in the jaw if you claim that ivory resource. I found it first it's right next to me , come on.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

jBrereton posted:

I mean it was science fiction but I don't think it was much like Dune, it was more like a not-awful version of the Red Mars series (as well as really being Bryan Reynolds' thing more than Sid's).

Oh, they borrowed from a lot of good older scifi, but they had plenty of F. Herbert's stuff (including direct quotations). Never read any of the *color* Mars books, but I heard they were p good. It also took inspo from Verner Venge and others.

Moridin920 posted:

It's probably not a 'great' game though, in the sense that I'd much rather play something else with some friends most of the time. And it is also true that people who are good at Chess seem to think that makes them geniuses in general which is annoying.

I agree with your post, but I still think we should honor the game for being the genesis of modern games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I inherited both the old and new versions from my friends after they left their board game collection with me due to moving cross-country by car.

That said I've only played the new version once a few years ago and remember combat being kinda dumb and little else. Doubt I'll actually play either since they both take forever and if I'm gonna play a long-rear end game I'd rather it be something like Twilight Imperium instead, and if I wanted to play a Civ game I'd play Through the Ages or one of the video games instead.

Neat to have them for novelty, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

phasmid posted:

I agree with your post, but I still think we should honor the game for being the genesis of modern games.

Yeah that's fine. It's not stupid that people ever played Chess. Things improve over time and they have to start somewhere.

But you could also honor the horse for being the "genesis of modern transportation". Yet if someone tried to get a horse for the purpose of riding it to work everyday when they could have a car they'd have to be an idiot. The horse is obsolete and inferior to a car as a method of transport in basically every way.

Chess is the same way. It historically interesting and had an undeniable impact on the evolution of human culture. But next to modern games it just sucks. And much like a snooty Southern California horse owner, the only reason most people put their time into it because they mistakenly think it's a sign of class or intelligence.

• Locked thread