Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm honestly not a huge fan of I Swear and I found the credits sequence rather lacking.

Whereabouts of Light is a much better ending theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Personally, my bet as to why there wasn't an apocalypse from the Liber Ark falling is the same reason why the Arseille didn't crash and burn--the flight field dissolves more slowly once it isn't being powered anymore, and it set itself down relatively softly.

The whole thing fell apart still as it descended, but that's more because a giant superstructure floating in the air is now properly subject to gravity and collapsed under its own weight.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Now I really want to see what a dragon lawyer looks like.
I have a feeling that the Ace Attorney franchise will get to that eventually.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Stephen9001 posted:

Hmm....

Either you already knew this was going to happen, or you are very good at guesswork. Still, I hope I'll eventually get to see what exactly happens in the future, even if Estelle and Joshua's quest in particular is over.
The latter, but it was very elementary in this case. I considered the chief factor:

A. That SC would not pull the downer ending of Estelle & Joshua dying at the end,
and
B. That SC would also not pull a 'but they were never found' chekhov's protagonists on the bodies since this is the END of SC's tale.

Then it was merely a matter of going down the likely suspects:
The Arseille can't do it, it's messed up and would have to brave the wreckage.
The Bobcat can't do it because it's nowhere near as awesome as the Arseille and it'd have to do the same stunts.
Loewe's actually dead so he can't come out of nowhere anymore.
Cassius Bright still exists though but he lacks a means to get to them in time since the Army's aircraft aren't any better than the Bobcat... Waitaminute, he knows a Dragon. A Dragon could do it.

Thus...

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

So...there are other dragons? Presumably finding Ragnard is nearly impossible if he just flies constantly (I forgot his top speed but presumably it'd be limitless or at the very least far beyond even the Arseille's capabilities), which would explain why we don't see any other dragons....or have they all left already? I dunno....but it still kind of feels like a cop out just so that Ragnard doesn't spill the beans (because, presumably, I'd say there's a high chance he knows A LOT of information which would be very helpful....but oh well)

Considering Ragnard himself said that he was waiting and watching for something to happen with the Shining Ring and that Dragons are the sorts of creatures of a given power level that if there were a significant number of them they'd rule the world then it's reasonable to assume that there is at least one Dragon per Septterrion device.

Which would make 7 Dragons.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im pretty sure it's mentioned more than once he's the last of the dragons. the game also implies other ancient beings, but they're probably like giant sea slugs or something instead of dragons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The last dragon in Liberl, or the last one in all the world?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

OddObserver posted:

I've just took the whole "true answer" thing as the Goddess really liking Estelle's friendship speech.

I dunno. I mean, what if that was originally supposed to do what Weismann was going to turn it to? Like, the Shining Ring was there so people could turn away from it. By refuting the Aureole on its own terms - beating someone up who wanted it to protect him - humanity proved it could do more for itself than the Aureole could.

...yeah, that's super reaching.

Did not see gettin' bailed out by the dragon, but if any force could do it, that's the one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-The Dream Continues-

Karin, I'm back.
Here, this is from Loewe.

It's so good to see that smile, Joshua. I bet Loewe likes it, too.

Yeah...
Loewe and Karin were as close as I've ever known two people to be...
They wanted to be together forever, I think. And now they are.
Yeah...
Hey, can I say hi to Karin, too?
Of course.

Um, hi, Karin. Nice to meet you.
I'm Estelle! Estelle Bright. I'm...well, for a little while I was sort of trying to be his replacement sister without knowing it...but I couldn't really replace you.
I guess now I'm, um, his girlfriend.

You 'guess'? That's terrible.

S-Sorry...Still not really used to it...It's kinda, y'know...embarrassing.
Oh, for the...
*sigh* It's still so very you, Estelle.
So very what? Do I detect an entendre, buster? Y'know, when nobody else is around, you can sure be--

Er, sorry, I was in the middle of saying hello, wasn't I.
Um, so, I wanted to say hello, and come with Joshua to see his original home. I'm...I'm looking forward to what's to come for the two of us.

Thank you, Estelle.
I'm sure Karin is very happy.

Haha...I hope so.
I know I'm still sort of a dunce, and not the most reliable person ever...I have to admit I'm a bit worried what I'd do if she ever thought, 'You're not good enough to be Joshua's girlfriend, Estelle Bright! Shoo!'
Haha. I think you're overthinking it a bit.
If anything, I think Karin would have loved you. You two would've been a nice contrast, in terms of personality.

Haha, you think so?

...And there goes my entendre radar again, mister. So you're saying I'm not as strong deep down or as calm and quiet as your sister, right?
Uh-um, no! I really do think you're strong deep down, actually.
Calm and quiet...Well, not exactly like Karin, no.

Geh...
But I'm not complaining. Always bright, optimistic, and shining like the sun.
That's the girl I fell in love with.

Ah!

Wh-Wh-Whaaaat was that...? You know how to go for the jugular with the embarrassment, you know?
Sorry, did you not like it?

Of course I LIKED it! That is so not the issue here!
I don't...quite get the problem, I guess...
*sigh*...Okay we've said our hellos, so let's be off! I can see Karin rolling her eyes at us from the cloud tops.
Oh...Yeah. I guess.
Hm? What is it?

Are you...really sure about this? You really want to leave Liberl and follow me?
Oh...
My journey to atone for the sins I committed in the society's name is my problem. So is my desire to strengthen myself and live up to Loewe.
I'm still not sure...if I want to wrap you up in all this.

Oh, for the love of...You always miss the important part.

Hm?

Ragnard said it, didn't he? This whole mess was just the beginning. Besides, I SERIOUSLY doubt the society's plans are all played out.

And when those snakes strike from the grass again, I want to be even stronger than Dad. You're not the only one who has someone to live up to.
Stronger than Cassius...That's a tall order.

Well, go big or go home, right?

Plus, I made that promise to Loewe. And I really want to see more places beyond Liberl! I'd also like to try and find Renne, if we can.

And...

Estelle?
AND. C'mon, Joshua, do I really need a reason to be with you?
Oh...
No...Of course not.
You're all the reason you need, all by yourself.
Exactly!
See, Joshua, what would you do if I wasn't around to point things out to you?
Haha. You're right, I'd be doomed.

I'd like to close once again with some vital gameplay stats.

Total last-second heroic rescues: 28
Total impassioned speeches about the power of friendship: 30
Total Estelle Stares: 239

Let's go, Estelle. I have no idea where this path will lead us...But I'm sure something awaits us at the end.
Yeah! One step at a time! We'll walk it together until the end!

Thanks for reading.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 17, 2016

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I do really, really like that little ending bit. Joshua and Estelle making good on some promises. And Estelle, of course, being a dork with her "hellos" to Karin. Ah I can't help but love Estelle, she's the best. :3:

When I first completed FC, the ending got me pumped for all the cool stuff that'd be in store for SC. It was a real shocker of a cliffhanger, and left some high expectations. And I was oh so happy to see SC not only live up to my personal expectations, but also surpass them thoroughly. Love this game, it's easily one of my favorite games of all time, and it has been an absolute blast seeing you LP all of it, Really Pants. Great job!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, at least Estelle acknowledges that it's kinda weird for her to be Joshua's "replacement sister" and then his girlfriend.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Well, Joshua never saw Estelle as a replacement sister, since the thought felt disrespectful towards Karin. It was just Estelle who felt like that for a while.

I really love Estelle's sprite gesticulating all over the place during this last little scene. It would have been fun if Estelle's sprite reflected her mood in all scenes she had since I kinda envision that Estelle hardly ever standing still whenever she's talking (or even when she's not talking), but that probably would have been waaay too much work for a little feature.

Really good job with the LP. It's been a massive project, but it was fun to follow and it'll be handy to keep on hand in case I ever need to look something up.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Speaking of the series, I did not expect someone like Linkara to review this game. http://channelawesome.com/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-at4w/ Then again, he only did so as a Patreon reward.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:3:
Never change, Estelle, never change.

Thanks for the LP of this wonderful game, I kinda hope Cold Steel lives up to this. (Machias and Jusis need to be punched badly at the point I'm at. On the other hand, so did Agate and I ended up liking the jerk)

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
And so ends the LP

Let's see, where to begin

For starters, I'd say that the end is a bit...abrupt I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I like/love the game and all, but the ending still let me down.

I'm probably beating a dead horse (....is that even the right idiom?), but two things

For starters, I'd have thought that, by leaving Loewe's sword at Hamel....isn't it like, too important to just leave anyway? Given that it's from the Divergent Laws (whatever that is really, really are there no explanations?), and at the very least, from the Grandmaster of Ouroboros herself, I'd have thought that Ouroboros would want it back.
(Additionally...let's just say that, as far as I know, Loewe's sword has a name. The question is where does the name come from? Oh well. Maybe some side material, or something, you never know)

The second point about the whole Liber Ark crashing in Valleria Lake thing, a thought that just occurred to me was that, I know Valleria Lake is huge and all, but I'd have imagined there would be some contamination of some sorts. This one is probably a joke to handwave though, so I'm probably trying too hard. Orbal tech is probably convenient enough that it doesn't need anything that would pollute any water body upon a crash, no need to worry about fluid spills or contaminated water.

That said folks, I do wonder when we'll see a Third LP. I wouldn't necessarily mind doing so, except that I suck and I don't really think I know enough about the game to do a LP anyway.....plus I'm still fairly sure there are other people who can do a better job than I ever could.

See you folks in the Cold Steel LP, whenever it comes up then

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Pretty sure Loewe's sword is retconned to be broken in later renditions of this scene, so I guess someone at Falcom realized it might not be a good thing to have it just lying around.

Anyway, thanks for the great LP! These games pretty much got me to fall back in love with the JRPG so following this thread has been really quite enjoyable.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Usually whenever I see LPs of games on this big of a scale, I expect them to be completed in like a year and change. This was a fast one to me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Omobono posted:

:3:
Never change, Estelle, never change.

That's the beauty of these games. She doesn't. By now, most videogames would have the protagonist be some flawless, fully matured hero. Estelle is anything but. She's learned, yeah, and she's gotten undeniably more skilled, but at the end of the day she's still a loudmouthed dork.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HR12345 posted:

Speaking of the series, I did not expect someone like Linkara to review this game. http://channelawesome.com/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-at4w/ Then again, he only did so as a Patreon reward.
Good old channel awesome still keeping the video size options limited to full screen and "postage stamp".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

Thanks for the LP of this wonderful game, I kinda hope Cold Steel lives up to this. (Machias and Jusis need to be punched badly at the point I'm at. On the other hand, so did Agate and I ended up liking the jerk)

Those two pull their heads out of their asses fairly early on.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like how Estelle has five/six new sprite animations that we only ever see in this scene because I dunno, Falcom didn't have anywhere else to put them? :v:

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
This was a well done LP of a very charming game. Good job and thanks for showing it off!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Great job, Really Pants. This was a wonderful LP to follow.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That's the beauty of these games. She doesn't. By now, most videogames would have the protagonist be some flawless, fully matured hero. Estelle is anything but. She's learned, yeah, and she's gotten undeniably more skilled, but at the end of the day she's still a loudmouthed dork.
Correction: A loudmouthed dork with a very large stick.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
There are two things about the ending that bug me. One is the Cassius ex Machina at the end, which is so convenient it feels like a cheap trick even though, technically, all the elements involved make sense in a vacuum.

The other is the corner the writers painted themselves into with Loewe's death. We've seen some really glaring cases of improbable survival: Oh good, this person isn't dead, just beaten to the point of unconsciousness! Everything will be fine! How fortunate no one suffered lasting injury from this rain of massive debris! So when it comes time for Vader Loewe to facetank Palpatine Weissman's lightning arrows, we have a dilemma. If Loewe lives, it feels cheap because it's another in a series of consequence-free injuries that suggests they're unwilling to commit to real stakes. On the other hand, if he dies, it's such a departure from established pattern that it seems like a transparently Whedon-calibur grab for the ol' heartstrings. Can't have an emotionally damaged ex-assassin make it out of a story without more trauma for the heroine to heal, after all!

But at the end of the day, if that's all I have to complain about that's still doing pretty good by most game standards. And it really is glorious seeing Weissman convinced he's going to get away, only for Kevin to show up and bring home the bacon. The salty, salty bacon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wonderslug posted:

There are two things about the ending that bug me. One is the Cassius ex Machina at the end, which is so convenient it feels like a cheap trick even though, technically, all the elements involved make sense in a vacuum.

Cassius Bright Saves The Universe is another long-established pattern. He saved Liberl in the Hundred Days War, he saved Estelle and Luke at the beginning of FC, he then spent the rest of that game saving Erebonia's Bracer Guild before coming back just in time to save Estelle, Joshua, and everyone else from the Reverie underneath the castle.

quote:

If Loewe lives, it feels cheap because it's another in a series of consequence-free injuries that suggests they're unwilling to commit to real stakes.

The real problem with Loewe surviving is: what the hell would he even do? He's done something to piss off just about everybody on the continent. Estelle and company might be willing to plead Loewe's case before the Queen now, and she's pretty kindhearted in general and especially towards Hamel survivors, but I don't think it would be enough. Even if he did win clemency in Liberl, he'd still have Ouroboros and tons of other people constantly gunning for him. He'd pretty much have to vanish forever.

On top of that, Loewe is supposed to be the most powerful swordsman that has ever sworded a man. Him living would be a repeat of the Cassius problem, where there's a character who can single-handedly solve all the troubles and the writers have to keep thinking of ways to keep him out of the picture.

Speaking of, I'm curious how they handle Cassius in Third Chapter.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 4, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Good LP! The rampant huge gifs seizing up Firefox aside (most of those gifs were worth it) it was a good time.

The Doomhammer posted:

Pretty sure Loewe's sword is retconned to be broken in later renditions of this scene, so I guess someone at Falcom realized it might not be a good thing to have it just lying around.

Anyway, thanks for the great LP! These games pretty much got me to fall back in love with the JRPG so following this thread has been really quite enjoyable.

That's the first thing I thought of when Joshua plonked it down there.
'Uhhhhhh you're just leaving a sword that was impossibly made right there where any shmuck can just walk up and have a theoretically god-slaying sword in their hands?'

At least when others do it (chief example being Athena's Sword from Lunar:SSS) they embed it in the tombstone and seal it with usage clauses (EG: you must be this awesome to draw this sword.)

Glad someone realized it at least even though they really should have thought of that here.

Really Pants posted:

The real problem with Loewe surviving is: what the hell would he even do? He's done something to piss off just about everybody on the continent. Estelle and company might be willing to plead Loewe's case before the Queen now, and she's pretty kindhearted in general and especially towards Hamel survivors, but I don't think it would be enough. Even if he did win clemency in Liberl, he'd still have Ouroboros and tons of other people constantly gunning for him. He'd pretty much have to vanish forever.

Speaking of, I'm curious how they handle Cassius in Third Chapter.

This is why I don't mind Loewe dying. It's the most logical way for him to vanish forever, especially after you had a big old fight with him, plus a cinematic fight scene, plus him pulling a heel-face turn and getting blasted and then having that done to him again where he makes himself useful at a key moment. I mean, that's a lot of hurrahs. If he didn't die he'd have to be more crippled than Cassius in order to still stick around and he'd still have a perpetual target on his back from being high up in Ouroboros.

Since the game isn't set in Liberl it's likely he'll get a few references, maybe stick some long-range fingers in the pie or so, but I doubt he'll actually be there in person.

Unless it's to save the day at the last second again. That's always plausible with him.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Cassius Bright Saves The Universe is another long-established pattern. He saved Liberl in the Hundred Days War, he saved Estelle and Luke at the beginning of FC, he then spent the rest of that game saving Erebonia's Bracer Guild before coming back just in time to save Estelle, Joshua, and everyone else from the Reverie underneath the castle.

And then he saves Estelle from herself in the beginning of SC, saves Leiston Fortress from the earthquake, prevents a nationwide catastrophe by preempting the orbal shutdown by commissioning the creation of the ZFG, prevents the abduction of the Royal family by sending Richard and Cid, saves Liberl from an Erebonian invasion by collaborating with one of their princes, and saved Joshua by pointing him to Kevin to deal with the stigma. Saving Estelle and Joshua from certain death by asking a favor from an ancient dragon seems almost expected at this point.

Sure, some of Cassius's premonitions and timings border on complete silliness, but I'll give the game credit for establishing a central character as having a reputation for being a total badass and then going out of its way to demonstrate it over the course of the game, as opposed to just expecting us to take their word for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alright, I think this is finally ready for the archive, or at least as ready as my hammy fists can get it.

I'd like to close it out once again with some vital gameplay stats.

Total last-second heroic rescues: 28
Total impassioned speeches about the power of friendship: 30
Total Estelle Stares: 239

Thanks for reading and helping me get this done, and thanks especially to SpaceDrake for his insights on the plot and for helping make Trails in the Sky possible in the first place. If any of you have a PS3 and any sort of designs on a Trails of Cold Steel LP, I'll be looking forward to it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Really Pants posted:

If any of you have a PS3 and any sort of designs on a Trails of Cold Steel LP, I'll be looking forward to it.

I'm literally days away from opening a thread. Maybe a week.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Thanks for the lp

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Some Numbers posted:

You tease! :argh:

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Some Numbers posted:

I was a little curious, are you going to be doing a Hard Mode NG+ with only max bonding events/costumes so you can get most of everything in one go, or are you just gonna do a fresh run?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lynkericious posted:

I was a little curious, are you going to be doing a Hard Mode NG+ with only max bonding events/costumes so you can get most of everything in one go, or are you just gonna do a fresh run?

Neither actually, I'm doing a Normal NG+ run with max bonding points and a shitton of cash and sepith.

Also, it's a video LP with two blind co-commentators.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
How about a NG+ with nothing carried over except unlimited bonding points? It's as good as a fresh start except you don't miss out on any bonding scenes.

Edit: Er, nevermind then.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is there anything you would need to know from the other Trails games before going into Cold Steel?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

How about a NG+ with nothing carried over except unlimited bonding points? It's as good as a fresh start except you don't miss out on any bonding scenes.

Edit: Er, nevermind then.

Pretty much, but I also didn't want to be hamstrung by limited finances.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is there anything you would need to know from the other Trails games before going into Cold Steel?

Not really. Knowing what happened in Liberl will help, but Cold Steel happens concurrently with Crossbell.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 17, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

not really. Like ideally you'd have played all of them but you can't so it's a far better idea to just let the game establish itself rather than spoil the skipped games

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Some Numbers posted:

Ha-ha?

Oh well. If you're serious, at least that settles the question of whether to watch the LP or await a proper steam release.

Anyways, good LP, RP. Not pants in the slightest. (Is that still an expression, or am I flashing back to the 1950's?)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

You already know about Prince Olivert, so you should be good to go.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Some Numbers posted:

Neither actually, I'm doing a Normal NG+ run with max bonding points and a shitton of cash and sepith.

A video LP seems like a....unique choice for the game. I imagine you'll be doing a lot of editing, but hopefully it'll be all good still. Cold Steel is a game I'd love to see get a good LP on the site, it's really a lot better than I expected it to be, though Normal Mode will probably make it kind of hard to show off what the bosses can really do. Any reason for that other than you just don't want some of the fights to slog on for too long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's worth having videos just for the voice acting. Cold Steel's voice work is top-notch.

• Locked thread