Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I tolerate Bakugou's really slow progress in changing and general lack of personal depth outside of his Deku issues and anger (him literally being at least mildly angry 100% of the time is actually kinda grating really- how has he not had a loving stroke?) because it really hasn't been much time in the story (~3ish months since the start of school) and I kinda trust Horikoshi to do something interesting with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's important to remember that there's a clear dividing line between UA and the rest of the world. Until he joined, Bakugou was basically a child-god, and treated accordingly. Now he's just one of dozens of very talented students, he's got a worse attitude than pretty much any of them, and neither his classmates nor his teachers are especially prepared to put up with his poo poo. Remember that All Might didn't keep the fight going for Bakugou. He did it for Midoriya.

It's not exactly accurate to say he's "just one of dozens." Even among his new peers at UA he pretty consistently tends to stand out as one of the top 3 in most areas where performance or rankings are applicable. He just has tougher competition now, and he's not always guaranteed to get #1 in everything anymore like he used to be. That fact isn't necessarily what bugs him. It would spur him on to do better and he'd probably still be an irritable jackass to his classmates, but it's Midoriya specifically that's pushing all his buttons, just because he viewed Midoriya as the absolute lowest of the low, and now thinks he's had the wool pulled over his eyes all this time, so he's pissed about it.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 16, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TriffTshngo posted:

It's not exactly accurate to say he's "just one of dozens." Even among his new peers at UA he pretty consistently tends to stand out as one of the top 3 in most areas where performance or rankings are applicable. He just has tougher competition now, and he's not always guaranteed to get #1 in everything anymore like he used to be. That fact isn't necessarily what bugs him. It would spur him on to do better and he'd probably still be an irritable jackass to his classmates, but it's Midoriya specifically that's pushing all his buttons, just because he viewed Midoriya as the absolute lowest of the low, and now thinks he's had the wool pulled over his eyes all this time, so he's pissed about it.

There's more to it than just Deku; not to go into spoilers, but the next major arc and particularly the one after that (which I doubt the first season of the anime will cover unless I'm misremembering and it's getting two cours, not one) have him develop quite a bit for reasons other than Deku. He remains pretty angry and a dick, but he mellows out a bit and grows over time as it goes on. (I'm rereading the series now because I went to check something, and I actually forgot some of Bakugou's development in that stretch.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Haha boy if people are having this severe a reaction to bakugo's attitude it'll be great when a certain hero shows his stupid face

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

Haha boy if people are having this severe a reaction to bakugo's attitude it'll be great when a certain hero shows his stupid face

If you're talking about who I'm thinking of, we won't get to him until season two. Hoo boy, though, when that happens... What a fucker.

That said, one of my favorite characters, who is also quite an rear end in a top hat, should be making their debut next episode. I'm looking forward to that, even though it'll probably be really short depending on how they convert the coming chapters into episodes.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I must say I cannot pinpoint who - OOOOOOOH. poo poo.

Right.

It's so hard to think of him as a hero.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I gotta say, I like how you can tell their personalities even with just a single frame.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, I really appreciate how expressive they made Hagakure compared to the manga

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Dat leg pop.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Iida's VA is spot on

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Bakugo is spot on for a classmate I was friends with in primary school, so it's incredibly satisfying seeing that type of guy dealt with in this way.

Like, it's stunning how much detail that character had to emulate this rear end in a top hat.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Personally, I find bakugou way more entertaining because he's an rear end in a top hat, and I hope there's more characters who aren't morally perfect in the future

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ninjewtsu posted:

Personally, I find bakugou way more entertaining because he's an rear end in a top hat, and I hope there's more characters who aren't morally perfect in the future

How do you feel about peak human perviness?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm glad the short lil dude is still fixated on his partner's chest.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

How do you feel about peak human perviness?

Oh, I forgot about him; when Invictus posted earlier I thought of a certain other character, but that person (who will show up this season) sucks in different ways. Not nearly as utterly awful ones, but ones that will probably get reactions from the thread. He might be who Invictus was talking about instead, come to think of it. We'll see, I guess.

ninjewtsu posted:

There are some interesting moral things going on in this, even among the heroes and, actually, the villains. Most of it is in material that I don't think's going to make it into the first season of the anime, but the series does interesting things in this area.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 16, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I like Bakugou a lot because the story refuses to soften up his character. Horikoshi said at one point that he was originally written as a typical golden-boy archetype, cheerful and optimistic to the point of obnoxiousness ("It's okay that you messed up! Anyone can do better if they try!" etc etc), but it's way more interesting to have him in that constant state of gnashing fury at everything and everyone always, himself included. Under all of Bakugou's antagonism is a red-hot vein of self-loathing, because his impossible standards apply to him as well and he's eternally pissed at the world for not falling in line with his expectations and at himself for not being to surpass everyone anyway.

Like someone else said earlier, this actually does make him a pretty good candidate for a hero, because his relentless self-improvement and confidence in his own power inspires other people to do better, too. He's just such an absolute shithead that his "heroic" qualities are more or less a happy accident.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ultimately, he lives in a world where heroes like All Might are seen as winners, and villains like what's-his-face slime guy are seen as losers. Byakugo wants to be seen as a winner, so even if he doesn't have a single altruistic bone in his body, he would never intentionally do anything villainous. I guess his problem would be not necessarily realizing when his actions cross that line.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Mineta is one of the best characters.

He has no idea why or how he's there, but he'll lick the honey while he hangs on.

Also his power is actually a lot more useful than he thinks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Roland Jones posted:

He might be who Invictus was talking about instead, come to think of it.
I'm talking about the second place hero.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ochako is extremely good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Ochako is extremely good.

Anime Dr Strangelove lookin good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ochako the best

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Everyone in MHA is the best, in some regard.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm talking about

That's who I originally thought, alright. Yeah, what a fucker.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm really looking forward to how they animate his costume.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NecroMonster posted:

Everyone in MHA is the best, in some regard.

This is true, but some people are extra best.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm tired.

For this space to not be empty though; Bakugou's voice actor showed a lot of range this last ep which is nice. He was kinda too growly before.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 17, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wrong thread mi amigo

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm really looking forward to how they animate his costume.

i really liked some of the char study/extra pages for him. with his costume off he kinda looks like a lovely football coach dad

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Jintor posted:

i really liked some of the char study/extra pages for him. with his costume off he kinda looks like a lovely football coach dad

He ... kinda is a lovely football coach dad. Didn't make it past college, shoving his QB dreams on his kid.

DEAR GOD THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT IS.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Let's stop with the vague manga spoilers guys, it only leads to bad places.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

anyway, i wonder how much they'll cram into the next episode. I'm guessing two chapters.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Except when someone's poor behavior is excused because society gives them a pass, it makes it exponentially worse.

Sure, it takes an initial act of assholery, but then you get to keep doing worse and worse things because who cares.

So bakugou = Trump ?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Oxxidation posted:

I like Bakugou a lot because the story refuses to soften up his character. Horikoshi said at one point that he was originally written as a typical golden-boy archetype, cheerful and optimistic to the point of obnoxiousness ("It's okay that you messed up! Anyone can do better if they try!" etc etc), but it's way more interesting to have him in that constant state of gnashing fury at everything and everyone always, himself included. Under all of Bakugou's antagonism is a red-hot vein of self-loathing, because his impossible standards apply to him as well and he's eternally pissed at the world for not falling in line with his expectations and at himself for not being to surpass everyone anyway.

Like someone else said earlier, this actually does make him a pretty good candidate for a hero, because his relentless self-improvement and confidence in his own power inspires other people to do better, too. He's just such an absolute shithead that his "heroic" qualities are more or less a happy accident.

All this talk about Bakugo's original intended personality and what if the roles were switched has me thinking "What if MHA were Teppu?"

And that has me thinking, "What if we had more Teppu?" and then I get sad.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Mr. Fowl posted:

All this talk about Bakugo's original intended personality and what if the roles were switched has me thinking "What if MHA were Teppu?"

And that has me thinking, "What if we had more Teppu?" and then I get sad.

Why you gotta be like that, man. It will never stop hurting, satisfying as it was. I just want more.

So yeah, as someone who always wanted to read this manga but never had the chance, I am loving this anime and will be reading and following the manga once it ends. I'll miss those glorious swelling musical cues, though. This show makes me feel things.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

What if Teppu had superpowers

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This was one of those fight scenes will see back in top 10 lists on Youtube for the next couple of years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

J. Michael Tatum is Iida and Sonny Strait is Present Mic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Waffleman_ posted:

J. Michael Tatum is Iida

Ok, this is a casting decision I can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bakugou did nothing wrong

• Locked thread