Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i don't really hate subaru all of his faults seem more attributable to deficient writing than character flaws. he mostly wants to do the right thing whatever

Cake Attack posted:

this is why Subaru is going to have a harem and you don't. He's got the right attitude

the maids are totally boning the clown wizard man though

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tamba posted:

Same here.

I bought the first 3 volumes and just finished the first one. So far, the anime has stuck really closely to the source material. So far the only important changes were that the epilogue (Subaru is knocked out, Emilia talks with Reinhart) was a bit longer.
Also all scenes of Subaru dying are kind of :gonk: with him describing how he can slowly feel his life fading, his organs and senses shutting down one by one until he finally dies. Abusing his death-reset-ability really isn't an option with how horrible dying feels, so his decision in the current episode is kind of a big thing.

I remember someone posting the manga version of his second death in the arc, but the third is pretty hosed up too.

Like poo poo what the gently caress yo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wow I guess the manga is doing the arcs concurrently cause each of them have different artists and the second and third arcs are being published simultaneously.

That's a bummer, I thought I could finish the second arc through the manga.

Guess I hafta wait for the anime or just buy the light novels in Korean.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Super No Vacancy posted:

i don't really hate subaru all of his faults seem more attributable to deficient writing than character flaws. he mostly wants to do the right thing whatever

I feel like the writing has been really solid so far, though. I mean, I'd be willing to believe that there's just a writing deficiency if this were glossing over his deaths like a lot of lovely LNs would, but it really, really isn't, and Subaru's on the fast track to crippling PTSD. Compare that to how he does the silliest thing he can imagine immediately before running off the cliff to kill himself, and I think that makes it clear that there's a lot more going on with Subaru than we've been shown just yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Super No Vacancy posted:

look at it this way

the story is the fantasy of a guy with no friends, who's sure that if he could just overcome his fear and lack of opportunity, would be the best and most loyal friend ever. in other words, that the only difference between a loser and a hero is courage and determination

at the same time, there are clear downsides to this approach, and actually living his fantasy has pretty nightmarish consequences.

the show's about evaluating that fantasy. maybe in the end it will validate it, subaru will consistently get his game face on and do the impossible. alternatively, maybe he'll realize that his entire attitude is built on deeper insecurities and it's part of what keeps getting him in trouble.

either way his faults are absolutely attributable to character flaws, it's just that they're character flaws that are so often held up as strengths in a genre like this that it's hard to be sure if they're intended that way

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

the maids are totally boning the clown wizard man though

subaru becomes part of clown wizard man's harem problem solved

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Hisoka only has a harem for little boys and killing though... yeah i guess this is fine

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
No one has more experience than Subaru

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can anyone read Japanese cause I need to know what's up with the next 3 episodes.

quote:

第8話、第9話、第10話 放送時間変更並びに放送休止の可能性について
5月22日から6月5日までの期間、テレビ東京系6局ネットにて「全仏オープンテニス2016中継」が放送されます。

これに伴い、テレビ東京、テレビ大阪、テレビ愛知にてこの期間に放送を予定している「Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活」第8話、第9話、第10話は、当日の中継の状況次第ではそれぞれ放送時間が変更、または放送休止となる場合があります。

あらかじめご了承ください。

If they're gonna be delayed I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the light novels.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Can anyone read Japanese cause I need to know what's up with the next 3 episodes.

If they're gonna be delayed I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the light novels.

Reddit gave me this:

quote:

Due to France Tennis Open, TVTokyo, TVOsaka, TVAichi broadcasts may be delayed or cancelled for the next 3 weeks. The only other outlet is AT-X which airs 5 days later.

Not sure what the variables are that give it a "may".

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WELP time to buy the books.

I guess this arc is volume 2... or 3?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
The one that was just watched was 2. Next one is 3.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

L-O-N posted:

The one that was just watched was 2. Next one is 3.

Coolio.

The manga is still in the middle of the next loop and appears to be monthly so I guess I'm buying volume 3 first and then seeing if I want to buy more.

Also the author is a butcher?????

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Coolio.

The manga is still in the middle of the next loop and appears to be monthly so I guess I'm buying volume 3 first and then seeing if I want to buy more.

Also the author is a butcher?????

It seems Manga 2 covers LN 2 and 3. Manga 3 starts with LN 4.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

e: nevermind

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

WELP time to buy the books.

I guess this arc is volume 2... or 3?

They're not in English. :smith:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I bought volume 3 today instead of ordering it cause I just really wanted to read it and then I get a massive downer.

The top of one of the illustrations pages is sorts ripped and folded.

Blegh.

I should stick to ordering books online from Kyobo, and not actually buying something from their stores.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
Holy christ, I found this series through this thread, thought 'eh, why not? it'll be worth a laugh if it's bad, and the premise is interesting.'

seven episodes later, I'm desperately wanting to know what happens next and loving that they made death the horrifying, painful, and downright PTSD-inducing thing it would be if you kept dying over and over and over. It's literally all I've ever wanted with this type of trope, because normally they just have people shrug it off like 'EH NO BIG I'M FINE I KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO DO' despite death being one of humanity's primal fears, and having to feel that pain and terror over and over....man, I hope it continues like this. I also love that none of the deaths are the pretty affairs you'd expect - they're gruesome and painful, with Subaru often crying right up until he dies. That is how you do a death reset power in fiction - it should be something absolutely horrifying instead of the utter inconvenience it's made out to be in so many stories.

I also love that it's such a slow (comparatively) process for Subaru, because he starts out cheerful and upbeat, and seeing how he acts in episode seven at the start is just gut-wrenching, along with the added fact that he can't tell anyone what's up. That's a recipe for madness, and I'm interested in seeing if Subaru ends up succumbing to the Witch's game, or somehow manages to finally find the happy ending at the end of it all.

Definitely going to be watching this up til the end - I'm just so bummed out it might be delayed for a bit.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Subarus ptsd flashbacks when he ran into elsa in episode 2 sold me on him not ruthlessly abusing his super power and the show as a whole.

Also I just finished episode 3 and this shits intense as gently caress i love it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's so good.

I was getting really tired of the reincarnation in a different world / stuck in a game / transported to a different world type shows, but this and KonoSuba really changed my opinion.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

So I bought volume 3 today instead of ordering it cause I just really wanted to read it and then I get a massive downer.

The top of one of the illustrations pages is sorts ripped and folded.

Personally this is also something that gives me a massive downer and I've had something similar happen to me when buying light novels from stores.
I used to do online shopping for my light novels but the novels ended up coming damaged one way or another so I decided to switch to good old brick and mortar shopping only to run into the same crap despite trying to scrutinize the books before buying.

The possible airing delay will most likely make me go crazy knowing what's coming.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grausherra posted:

Personally this is also something that gives me a massive downer and I've had something similar happen to me when buying light novels from stores.
I used to do online shopping for my light novels but the novels ended up coming damaged one way or another so I decided to switch to good old brick and mortar shopping only to run into the same crap despite trying to scrutinize the books before buying.

The possible airing delay will most likely make me go crazy knowing what's coming.

Another thing that bugs me when buying directly from the bookstore is that they have these stamps or whatever on the bottom of the book, which means the corner of the wrapping is torn off or whatever, which means the bottom edge of the book gets sorta iffy.

This doesn't happen when ordering. I think.

Ah well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I was getting really tired of the reincarnation in a different world / stuck in a game / transported to a different world type shows, but this and KonoSuba really changed my opinion.

i like that it's just a fantasy world, it doesn't have video game mechanics or institutions built into the setting like most current reincarnation shows

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Cake Attack posted:

i like that it's just a fantasy world, it doesn't have video game mechanics or institutions built into the setting like most current reincarnation shows

How are we supposed to understand how powerful and awesome the characters are if we don't know their levels?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

That plays a part too, but I just really like the MCs.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

I'm still curious as to why the author picked the different-world gig. Right now its functionally equivalent to an MC with amnesia, the only difference being that he has a cell-phone which hasn't been useful up to this point. I can only assume the author did it to make it easier for readers/viewers to associate with him, but perhaps he'll use his other-worldly knowledge to advance in some way (via science perhaps?)

I also fully expect the cell-phone to be the series end-credits by showing all the photos he's taken of his harem waifus.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm still curious as to why the author picked the different-world gig. Right now its functionally equivalent to an MC with amnesia, the only difference being that he has a cell-phone which hasn't been useful up to this point. I can only assume the author did it to make it easier for readers/viewers to associate with him, but perhaps he'll use his other-worldly knowledge to advance in some way (via science perhaps?)

I also fully expect the cell-phone to be the series end-credits by showing all the photos he's taken of his harem waifus.

Did you know that there actually is a light novel about taking a smart phone to a different world.

At least, I assume from the title.

I was lookin' through the light novel section at Kyobo to find Re;Zero volume 3 and came across something.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
See?

Title is literally "In a Different World with a Smartphone".

The original title is 異世界はスマートフォンとともに.

quote:

Oh no, Kami-­sama accidentally killed the Hero by mistake and he starts a second life in a parallel world. Kami­-sama revives his body and he is allowed to take and use his smartphone. He comes across various people while making important comrades and before the Hero is aware of it, he has discovered this world’s secret. He inherits the legacy of an ancient civilization and he goes around the world nonchalantly while having power that matches that of the kings in this world.

Author’s word:
This is the first time I am doing a serialized story.
I do not know how far I can go, but I’d appreciate if you follow me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'd read that. If it were in English. :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I took these photos last year when visiting Kyobo. Look at all these parallel world / game / reincarnation books + SNAFU.

This one features Not!Souma and Not!Erina, and is about cooking to boot. Like jesus poo poo, at least get some original designs.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd read that. If it were in English. :(

Well you're in luck.

It's being translated online I guess.

http://raisingthedead.ninja/current-projects/in-a-different-world-with-a-smartphone/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Re:Zero has just passed Log Horizon on the Narou overall rankings, so the anime seems to be a success.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It occurs to me that I've never seen the Re:Zero ED.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh poo poo, the credits of the 4th short!!!

The thing about the witch's smell was... RIGHT UNDER OUT NOSES.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

That reminds me, new webisode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJpKiQk1PaQ

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Most of that is from from the LN, only that exchange happened during the breakfast in episode 4, not outside in the garden (unless they repeat it later?).

And while we're talking about right under our noses...here's the cover of the second novel:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I finished reading the third arc yesterday and first I have to say I haven't been so hooked into a story in a long long time, just reading for hours and at the same time pausing for minutes to collect my thoughts and speculate, second I have to really say that this author is a fucker. I can't wait to hear who will be doing the voices for the third arc and also how they will be doing the music and directing for some of the scenes in the third arc. If you can I really recommend reading the web version.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So no episodes for a few weeks right?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No, Crunchyroll said the stream shouldn't be impacted

e: source

https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/733800532624674817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010