Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

originalnickname posted:

Do you have a G-Sync monitor? I mean, I don't know anyone who thought that was going to be a real thing.. I thought it was going to be like those shutter glasses they used to package with those original 120hz monitors, turns out I was probably right?

Hopefully by the time I need (want) to buy another monitor it'll be some 144hz 30" ips for a not-stupid price.

On the topic of g-sync, I find that I get insane input lag whenever I turn on any form of vsync, how is the input lag with the g-sync and freesync stuff?

Input lag should be about as low as it'll get since the frames get displayed as soon as possible without tearing. It won't be as low as the top part of a torn frame because it waits for the whole thing, but it's otherwise excellent, and the latency should be more constant, which is nice for smoothness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

xthetenth posted:

Input lag should be about as low as it'll get since the frames get displayed as soon as possible without tearing. It won't be as low as the top part of a torn frame because it waits for the whole thing, but it's otherwise excellent, and the latency should be more constant, which is nice for smoothness.

Good to know that these aren't just gimmicks.. I haven't personally been able to check out a real for-true gsync or freesync setup but my bullshit alarm was going pretty hard. Glad to hear that it's a real thing, nothing aggravates me more than a slow mouse/mouselook...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

As long as there are AIB cards available at MSRP and some decent ones (EVGA SSC, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte Windforce non-G1, etc) below the FE on launch day my expectations will be satisfied. I understand the top-end products (EVGA FTW/Classified/Kingpin, MSI Lightning, etc) will be above the FE but if it's going to be priced as a premium product it needs to be priced comparably with other premium cards.

I don't really think that's gonna happen though, they just don't want to be seen launching at a $700 MSRP and they're pulling a shady trick.

:laffo:

The MSI GTX 980 Gaming was $30 over MSRP, the EVGA GTX 980 SC(not even SSC) was also $30 over MSRP, I can't find a price for the Gigabyte Windforce but I remember all the AIB cards being over MSRP back at launch.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

originalnickname posted:

Good to know that these aren't just gimmicks.. I haven't personally been able to check out a real for-true gsync or freesync setup but my bullshit alarm was going pretty hard. Glad to hear that it's a real thing, nothing aggravates me more than a slow mouse/mouselook...

Yeah, GSync is real and highly effective. I still don't have to like vendor lock-ins, which are numerous on NVIDIA products. If you want GSync, CUDA, SHIELD functionality, etc you have no choice but to use NVIDIA products.

Yeah, it's "goony"and uncool to care about stuff but anticompetitive behavior by a de-facto monopoly is lovely as hell, even if it's just computer parts. The x86 lock-in is lovely as hell too.

Yeah, nobody needs computer parts, stop complaining about anticompetitive behavior, yadda yadda. If it ends up being $700 I'll just keep my current card.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 19, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
this was the perfect response to what was essentially a "chill out" lol

for example, I am legitimately angry at AMD, but all I said was AMD touched me as a child

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I was willing to trade $100 for getting a 1080 a month earlier but after the weak power delivery came to light I can wait. I'm gaming at 4K on a 970 which can really struggle in some games and madVR, even if it is surprisingly competent for the games I tend to play the most.

My wounds from AMD's pre-GCN drivers still haven't healed but NVIDIA has been doing their best to erode my goodwill to the point where I'd consider AMD again. I'm NVIDIA locked, though, because of some CUDA dependencies but if I really, really felt passionate about it I could work around those.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 19, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it doesnt even have to be a huge investment. Im gaming on a gsync acer refurb that was $240 for a 24" 144hz.
Thats pretty much the same price as a new non-gsync 24" 144hz

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The MSI GTX 980 Gaming was $30 over MSRP, the EVGA GTX 980 SC(not even SSC) was also $30 over MSRP, I can't find a price for the Gigabyte Windforce but I remember all the AIB cards being over MSRP back at launch.

30 is not bad...100 is.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

MSRP is going to be the cheapo plastic blower, and that's all I really expect anyway. But I do expect there to be some decent premium cards under $700, since the FE was advertised as being priced in the middle of the pack for premium cards - some cards above and some cards below.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MSRP stands for manufacturer's suggested retail price. It doesnt mean what you the consumer thinks its worth.

Nvidia is not selling anything over the MSRP, they are not price gouging because of a shortage.

We still need to see more prices from the other companies before deciding how bad the $100 is.

Please send me 1080's for defending your e-honor Nvidia

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think the idea behind the FE having a higher price is because Nvidia stated that they usually have the reference board out first to market at the lowest price and discontinued selling it on their own.

This likely caused some friction with their vendors, after all, they're already paying Nvidia for the chips, and Nvidia are likely to make more from the AIB partners than from you or me.

So now, in an effort to avoid crowding out their partners, they're adding a premium to the reference board and will have it always. That way when shortages happen, there will always be a source. It'll be more expensive, but you can have it now from Nvidia or have the MSI version from Newegg in a couple of weeks.

I think they're trying a convenience/availability business model rather than their usual snipe the early adopters model to recoup R&D/marketing over the lifetime of the product rather than in the first quarter of its life, nothing more.

They could have said it in more flowery words, though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

MSRP is going to be the cheapo plastic blower, and that's all I really expect anyway. But I do expect there to be some decent premium cards under $700, since the FE was advertised as being priced in the middle of the pack for premium cards - some cards above and some cards below.

Well, I hosed up. :doh:

When I read your post I did not see the "and" and "below FE" in that sentence so I thought you had said that you wanted the good AIBs to be at MSRP or the MSRP was a shady trick. Sorry, Mea Culpa and all that.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Haha the thing is even called a Founders Edition, of course they're milking early adopters while there's no competition for a couple of months

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

-Spiffy- posted:

A) that makes basically every tech product a paper launch. Why don't people scream about iPhone paper launches?

B) you have myriad choices for your vendor lock in products. You just can't buy the very newest thing, right now.

If that is what people are upset about then boy its the firstworldest of problems and you need to take stock of your priorities.

It's just run-of-the-mill gamer entitlement.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's okay when the games industry does it

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's okay when the games industry does it

What are "they" "doing"? I still don't understand.

A company, a soulless money making entity, has set the absolute highest price it thinks people will pay.

What exactly were people expecting that disappointed them so much?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
*Whoop Whoop* Pull up *Whoop Whoop* Pull up *Whoop Whoop* Terrain, Terrain *Whoop Whoop*

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Urrrm I forgot to cancel my ebay auction for my 980Ti and it has sold for £390-ish. Just after I decided I would wait and save my money for the 1080Ti.

Will it be likely we'll get a 1080Ti? Gotta try to now decide if I want to go send this off and pay the £200-250 extra for a 1080 then skip the Ti or apologise to the buyer (I know what a dick) and stick to my guns which is feeling like it might be the best idea if theres 1080Ti in a year which is about 30% better again like the Ti was to the 980.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Wait, so are the blowers on the founders editions going to be shite or good on the noise/cooling front? I'm using a mini-itx Corsair 250d and was gonna get a 1070 for 1440p. It's possible a regular ol' fan design will fit and be better, but people seem to have been reccomending blowers for this form factor.

And is this stuff about power relevant for the 1070?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rookoo posted:

Wait, so are the blowers on the founders editions going to be shite or good on the noise/cooling front? I'm using a mini-itx Corsair 250d and was gonna get a 1070 for 1440p. It's possible a regular ol' fan design will fit and be better, but people seem to have been reccomending blowers for this form factor.

All of the reviews are saying it's on the surprisingly quiet side of things.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rookoo posted:

They are really pretty good blowers. You may want to see what a model with better power delivery can do overclocked and/or if anyone comes out with one that has a liquid loop (if it would fit), but it may be better for you. Of course your case airflow may be really good and able to clear out an open design's heat, I don't know that case.

-Spiffy- posted:

What are "they" "doing"? I still don't understand.

A company, a soulless money making entity, has set the absolute highest price it thinks people will pay.

What exactly were people expecting that disappointed them so much?

I was expecting the company's customers to react poorly and pay less. I get pretty disappointed when people just shrug it off and say "that's just what a company does" and forget that in that model what a customer does is stop paying and/or communicates that the product is not a good deal. Also, don't forget that this is in theory a commoditized market. People are theoretically turning money into frames per second. NV's trying to introduce apple style luxury pricing like the semi-monopoly you noted they are, and that's not popular.

At the end of the day though, if customers don't get to complain at a market going monopolistic, loving pack up capitalism because we're not cut out for it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Do not criticize the Product. You love The Product. You will buy The Product at a premium set price.

I'm not sure what else you were expecting from a thread where half the people went "i'm gonna buy founders edition!!!" though

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

How is it a monopoly? Will there not be a whole bunch of different competing designs for the 1080/70? Nvidia themselves have said that AIBs are free to release and sell their own designs on exactly the same dates that Nvidia starts selling the FE. A lack of competition because competing companies don't have their product ready yet is not a loving monopoly.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Found this:

quote:

Just got a reply from one of the retailers in Denmark about the availability of 1080/70:
Nvidia has placed an embargo on 10xx cards - because of that, no one may have it on their website until may 27 for 1080 and june 15 for 1070. No pre-orders may be placed.
That means, that only from the release dates is it possible for us to open up for orders, and order the cards ourselved at various suppliers.
Priceing, that we do not know yet... it may vary from dealer to dealer depending on which prices we are offered.

People corroborating this. https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4k1ln4/info_from_retailer_regarding_10801070/

I wonder if we'll see any of the 3rd party non-reference products announced prior to the 27th. Maybe they won't be unveiled until computex. It will be weird if they just start popping up for sale on the 27th!

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
See I was under the assumption that when the FE preorders went up tomorrow (? I have it in my head that its this Friday) the other third party ones might be able too also.

I've still not told this ebay guy, I'm getting more and more tempted just to send the card off and pick up a 1080 :retrogames:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

980s (and 970s to a lesser extent) were absolutely priced way up in every retail channel on launch, because yea, that's what retailers do when there's high demand.

All the nerdrage about the NV reference cards is pretty stupefying because it is not at all different from what they've done in the past, aside from the bizarre choice to actually advertise it this time. (A coworker of mine, welllll after the initial 980 launch, bought one of the very overpriced Nvidia reference 980s sold at bestbuy, because... ???)

I don't know why anything thinks this launch will be somehow different from past ones. There'll be a ton of retail markup on the initial huge rush which will probably die down after a month or two. Specialty boards like the G1 gaming/EVGAs billion flavors/MSI Golden something something will continue to sell for slightly higher prices. Dumb people will buy the deliberately overpriced reference cooler cards. There will probably be a minor price cut when whatever AMD makes gets launched.

This has all happened before.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

xthetenth posted:

I was expecting the company's customers to react poorly and pay less. I get pretty disappointed when people just shrug it off and say "that's just what a company does" and forget that in that model what a customer does is stop paying and/or communicates that the product is not a good deal. Also, don't forget that this is in theory a commoditized market. People are theoretically turning money into frames per second. NV's trying to introduce apple style luxury pricing like the semi-monopoly you noted they are, and that's not popular.

At the end of the day though, if customers don't get to complain at a market going monopolistic, loving pack up capitalism because we're not cut out for it.

Uh, customers only stop paying if they have somewhere else to go. It's not Nvidia's fault they're currently the only game in town. You still have the option of waiting for Polaris, you still have the option of going to an Nvidia partner.

But if you want Nvidia reference and you want it first then you have to stump up the cash for wanting those things.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It really seems like this avatar might better suit a few others in this thread than me...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You all have the options of not buying it, which you should do if you feel so strongly about it. Worst comes to worst you'll have to turn some settings down.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
There are things to dislike nvidia for, but that animosity spreads to everything. I personally dont like the "founders edition", but I dont particularly like any reference nvidia cards as far as I can remember. I also think its a cash grab of sorts rather than primarily being uncompetitive with aftermarkets (and if so you can do both of these things at the same time anyway). But I mean... thats all there is to it, its not worth getting angry about. I'm not talking about anybody here either that I've seen, just when I accidentally look at comments elsewhere it gets mindbending. There is something special about the incredible white knighting over video cards and that goes for fans of both sides.

Founders edition, potentially lame? Yeah. Will it make the whole release lame? Probably not. Now, if the release comes and goes and all we have are founders edition cards to buy forever, then its time to get salty, but until then I dont see the point in predicting there arent going to be any other cards. There is no precedent for this or even a suggestion its going to happen.

And I can't tell off people who even buy these things because they really want it either. If you want a card now you want it now... a $100 probably isn't going to make you starve if you're buying a $700 card to begin with and you'll just have to suck it up andn dont complain when aftermarkets get another 3.23123% OC headroom for less money.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

Urrrm I forgot to cancel my ebay auction for my 980Ti and it has sold for £390-ish. Just after I decided I would wait and save my money for the 1080Ti.

Will it be likely we'll get a 1080Ti? Gotta try to now decide if I want to go send this off and pay the £200-250 extra for a 1080 then skip the Ti or apologise to the buyer (I know what a dick) and stick to my guns which is feeling like it might be the best idea if theres 1080Ti in a year which is about 30% better again like the Ti was to the 980.

Ouch, well it is up to you for sure, however when you can actually get your hands on a 1080 is anyones guess between now and 3 months from now with the way this launch is going.

I am sorta sour from not waiting out with my SLI 780's before getting the 980Ti, but the Ti really has helped me not miss the SLI glitches and inability to do SLI in VR so I plan to hold onto it for a good while until the next Ti drops. In your case, you might have to play the waiting game on the IGP or something unless you have a Frys nearby and can "rent" a GPU for a month. (grab an open box one)

While I loved the blowers on the 780s (They were real vapor chambers then, no VC in the 900 series apparently, but it's back for the "FE" cards... Yay?) The nerfed power systems of the FE cards seem to really make it a bad deal unless you absolutely have to have the card as soon as possible.

What bums me out too, is the Blowers are actually better sometimes than the aftermarket coolers and yet, you will probably never see a reference blower on a fully powered card from any of the 3rd parties. :( That thing runs quiet and keeps cards really cool. My 780's were OC'ed to 1202mhz and never broke past 70C with their reference blowers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul MaudDib posted:

As long as there are AIB cards available at MSRP and some decent ones (EVGA SSC, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte Windforce non-G1, etc) below the FE on launch day my expectations will be satisfied.

This has literally never happened in my memory on launch day. Vendors and re-sellers are going to be buying up the stock and there will be shortages. There always is for a new gen of cards like this.

If there is stock within a couple weeks are you satisfied? Or does it not meet your weird, never-happened-before expectations?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Excuse my ignorance but IGP?

Yeah it might be a better idea to wait out for the Ti and contact the guy today although I do honestly feel super lovely cancelling his order. Whilst I could wait the 3 months and cope fine it is probably better to spend a bit more cash in a year on a better upgrade than save by selling my card now for a decent upgrade that still costs quite a bit.

Esp. as we don't really know what the partner cards will cost.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

Yeah it might be a better idea to wait out for the Ti and contact the guy today although I do honestly feel super lovely cancelling his order. Whilst I could wait the 3 months and cope fine it is probably better to spend a bit more cash in a year on a better upgrade than save by selling my card now for a decent upgrade that still costs quite a bit.

Esp. as we don't really know what the partner cards will cost.

Integrated Graphics Processor. The GPU on the CPU if you have an i5/7 non -E chip and you don't have a backup card to use while the 980Ti is gone. :/

Yea it is lovely but maybe the guy will understand that you kinda screwed yourself on timing and don't care to blow $$$ on the latest and greatest card that will be out, whenever. :/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Blackfyre posted:

Integrated graphics, most Ivy Bridge and later Integrated Graphics Processors can play most things at 720p low / medium details pretty smoothly.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Not following that closely, but I take it the prices of current gen high end cards will fall off an absolute cliff in the next couple of weeks?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've been coasting on the i5-6600k IGP on the new system I built in March while waiting for Pascal to drop and at 1080p I can run most 2-3 year old things at low settings fairly comfortably.

Obviously it varies - War Thunder is a smooth 60 fps with view distance turned up, XCOM 2 is an apalling slideshow, I can't even load Arkham Knight or Fallout 4.

Long story short it's not the end of the world as a stopgap.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Not following that closely, but I take it the prices of current gen high end cards will fall off an absolute cliff in the next couple of weeks?

It's hard to say. What often happens is that they drop somewhat but that they become unavailable before they plummet to "buy one get three free" sorts of prices.
I suspect that the somewhat higher list prices for this generation from Nvidia will keep prices from falling too far.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

At this point, if a OC'd 1070 can run pretty much everything at max in 1440p, I don't really see the point in getting a 1080 unless you have a 4k display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

used yes, new will only last as long as there is stock. They stopped producing cards a month ago. Used is the way to be for last gen stuff though

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

At this point, if a OC'd 1070 can run pretty much everything at max in 1440p, I don't really see the point in getting a 1080 unless you have a 4k display.

I cant even max out everything with a OC'd 980ti, but if a 970 is good at 1440p then a 1080 will seem like blatant overkill