Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

kastein posted:

I dunno. I've always just sorta bent them back into shape if I damaged them.

The inner axle dust shields on the other hand I usually throw out along with the brake dust shields.

I'm just gonna bang em back into shape and run with it. Just wanted to check and see if anyone had any other opinions.

Yeah, my passenger side brake dust shield is long since missing due to a PO at some point and the axleshaft shields fell off a while back. The driver side I believe is all factory stuff. Should make the ball joints out rebuild this weekend loads of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Make sure they don't rub on the unit bearing inboard seal and you're good to go, basically.

It's too bad you couldn't have waited a bit to do the axle ujoints, I like to do the brakes, unit bearings, axle joints, and balljoints all at once. Brakes are somewhat negotiable since they are the first thing off and can be done easily later, but the rest? By the time I've dug in far enough to pull a unit bearing, it's two more nuts and some brute force to do the balljoints and ujoint as well.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I just bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado 'Midnight Edition' so I'll be selling my white MJ. I want to build a rally truck and there is no sense in swapping this one to a 2.5 2wd. Gonna sell the white one and buy one thats already slow.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

kastein posted:

Make sure they don't rub on the unit bearing inboard seal and you're good to go, basically.

It's too bad you couldn't have waited a bit to do the axle ujoints, I like to do the brakes, unit bearings, axle joints, and balljoints all at once. Brakes are somewhat negotiable since they are the first thing off and can be done easily later, but the rest? By the time I've dug in far enough to pull a unit bearing, it's two more nuts and some brute force to do the balljoints and ujoint as well.

I have a 2nd set of shafts I'm putting new joints in. I plan on doing the ball joints, axle shafts/ujoints, unit bearings and brakes all at the same time.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

iForge posted:

I just bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado 'Midnight Edition' so I'll be selling my white MJ. I want to build a rally truck and there is no sense in swapping this one to a 2.5 2wd. Gonna sell the white one and buy one thats already slow.

I am seriously contemplating selling my MJ project (1987 2.5/ax4, plus wrecked 2000 4.0 4wd).

The MJ is a southern truck, very straight and rust free (one floorpan has pinhole). I dunno if it's ideal for a rally truck, but it is definitely OEM slow.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

angryrobots posted:

I am seriously contemplating selling my MJ project (1987 2.5/ax4, plus wrecked 2000 4.0 4wd).

The MJ is a southern truck, very straight and rust free (one floorpan has pinhole). I dunno if it's ideal for a rally truck, but it is definitely OEM slow.

I don't know what your timeline is, but I have to sell the MJ before I pick up another one. I have 3 vehicles parked outside my apartment and one in storage. I don't have anywhere to put another one right now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm in sorta the same boat. Shop is full of stuff, and after deciding on this MJ project, we literally bought a farm and it's taking all of my time.

I'd like it gone, but if I don't find a buyer I'll keep you in mind.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Came to a stop in my friends XJ and the grille just kinda...fell forward? It was bizarre

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
about 1/3rd of my MJ's new fuse panel is rewired in. So far the panel looks 90% the same as the original which is good to see since the donor was a 1990 XJ.

After pouring through the year specific wiring TM and separating the bits of the harness pigtail that have no use to me (TCU wiring, the rear window wiper/heater, the broken dash clock, etc) it doesn't seem so daunting.

I'm just hoping the C100 (firewall connector) is still good. It looks like the PO didn't touch it.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Came to a stop in my friends XJ and the grille just kinda...fell forward? It was bizarre

That's awkward

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sandbagger SA posted:

about 1/3rd of my MJ's new fuse panel is rewired in. So far the panel looks 90% the same as the original which is good to see since the donor was a 1990 XJ.

After pouring through the year specific wiring TM and separating the bits of the harness pigtail that have no use to me (TCU wiring, the rear window wiper/heater, the broken dash clock, etc) it doesn't seem so daunting.

I'm just hoping the C100 (firewall connector) is still good. It looks like the PO didn't touch it.

I can't remember how the starter interlock wiring/NSS delete and reverse light switch stuff are different on 88 5spd vs 88 auto, so be extra careful to not screw yourself over with respect to those.

Anything related to TCU power and/or reverse lights and starter wiring that you don't think you need, I would lay aside wrapped in e-tape until you test it. If the starter or reverse lights are DOA afterward, you can figure it out from there.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Anything related to TCU power and/or reverse lights and starter wiring that you don't think you need, I would lay aside wrapped in e-tape until you test it.

this is exactly what I did. Who knows- maybe it will be useful for auxiliary wiring later.

this is the original panel. I was able to salvage the flasher relays and the wiper/jamb buzzer wiring (which was untouched).

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 20, 2016

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Sandbagger SA posted:

I had a blue 92 pioneer that looked just like that only in awful shape. I kinda wish I kept it sometimes.

I did the swap. Is your ax15 the internal or external slave?

This is an external slave right?

Any advice on what I'm in for with the swap?

Couple more photos

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I finally got my XJ lifted, 2.5 inches with a set of 30s under it. I'm pretty pleased with the configuration - the tires perfectly fit in the wheel wells and it looks pretty rad. Better than that, it rides really loving nice now. I need to get my backbone ordered and on it and I am set.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
So I got my novak cable shifter installed and switching to 4wd is super smooth now, and it hasn't popped out of 4Lo once.

Has anyone had issues with Quadratec? This cable shifter was my first order from them and it came used instead of new. Greasy fingerprints on the instructions, a broken grommet, some screws were still in the nutserts going the wrong way, even the box had someone else's label scraped off and taped over. Not what I was expecting from these guys. In the end I got it all installed correctly though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I did not realize my jeep came with air brakes.

https://youtu.be/OIDDlyxesY0

I was vacuuming out the old brake fluid, and it was like this on all four corners. I dumped probably half a big bottle of brake fluid on the rear passenger side alone. The jeep seems to stop okay, pedal isn't spongey and doesn't sink. Any ideas what's going on here?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Safety Dance posted:

I did not realize my jeep came with air brakes.

https://youtu.be/OIDDlyxesY0

I was vacuuming out the old brake fluid, and it was like this on all four corners. I dumped probably half a big bottle of brake fluid on the rear passenger side alone. The jeep seems to stop okay, pedal isn't spongey and doesn't sink. Any ideas what's going on here?

Possibly air coming in around the bleeder or hose because one of them is loose?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You gotta hold those cheap plastic needle things in place by hand to maintain anything resembling a seal. Or use a small piece of (appropriate) hose to fit over the bleeder nozzle on the vehicle and over the needle thing. You'll still see some air probably, because it might be able to get in around the threads of the bleeder itself, but it will be noticeably less.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 21, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You know what, it has to be air coming around the threads of the bleeders themselves. I only opened them 1/4 turn, and the bubbles and the fluid both stopped when I closed the bleeders. I had the vacuum cranked kinda high, I guess.

Motive power bleeder time? Maybe next time I have $50 kicking around.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

You know what, it has to be air coming around the threads of the bleeders themselves. I only opened them 1/4 turn, and the bubbles and the fluid both stopped when I closed the bleeders. I had the vacuum cranked kinda high, I guess.

Motive power bleeder time? Maybe next time I have $50 kicking around.

Put never seize on the threads. Lots of it. Not only does that stop it from sucking in air when you vacuum bleed but you'll actually be able to bleed again next year.......

And my opinion is always to pressure bleed if possible. Motive is a good choice. Mine has served me well.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Comanche Update:

I completed the fuse panel wiring in the MJ. I went to start it and it wouldn't turn on.

It turns out that at some point, the fuseable link wire for the ignition went to poo poo and someone decided to mend it by drawing off a circuit for the headlight delay relay so that it drew power for the ignition from a different fusible link.

I replaced the wire and now it starts, the headlamps and the buzzer work. The dash lights aren't working, though for some reason so I'll have to chase that down.

edit:

LED DASH BULBS :science:

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

This is an external slave right?

That is external slave, yes. It's also more desirable because it's easier to fix if you have any issues with the slave once everything is installed.

I believe you'll have to pull the pilot bushing because the BA-10 has a smaller ID bushing than the ext slave AX15. I found using a gear puller and a slide hammer was a breeze. Some people like to monkey gently caress with dowels and grease or pieces of bread.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 22, 2016

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I had a good rip around one of the local trails today with my kiddo. She had a great time. I discovered that one of my sway bar disconnects wasn't actually bolted on at the top when I removed it. Not sure if it worked its way loose or if its been like that since I bought it from the previous guy :shepface:

With the new flares and without the rocker guards I'm getting quite a different spray pattern now up the side.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

It drives soooo much nicer now. That's nearly all of the suspension bushings save the two in the front axle. One of the two motor mounts was completely broken and the other one was close.
I can now hear a tick/knock from the passenger seat. I am thinking wheel bearings or u-joints.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Sandbagger SA posted:

LED DASH BULBS :science:

Future Sexxxy

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Here's a head scratcher for those of you who have done Cherokee/Comanche dash wiring.

the male receptacle up top is the C120 connector which links the wiring from the heater resistor to the dash harness. The female one below that is ROUTED THROUGH THE loving HEATER DUCT is the wiring from the dash harness. Some chucklefuck jammed the female bit into the duct so now it's nigh impossible to get out without entirely tearing apart the dash.

Thanks PO :commissar:

Edit:

Yesterday, I cleaned out jeep camper for the spring. The spare tire I fitted to it is decidedly larger than the one that came off. WHOOPS!

The Wrangler didn't do much.

The Comanche's Stereo and Heat both work and it is glorious! Neither were functional when I bought the truck from the PO.

I also did some cleaning.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 22, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
So I'm about to replace some parts in the rear end (99 wj 4.0 ) and I'm doing the rear speed sensors due to diff fluid ruining them. Does anyone here know of any that are garbage and I should avoid please recommend if not I'm just gonna order some Dorman.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
WELP.

It happened.

I decided to drive the MJ back to my apartment in Kittery last night. I had finally got the radio fixed and the heater working. The weather was fantastic and it seemed like everything was going great.

I got to 5 minutes of where I was going and smoke started pouring out of the heater box. I pulled over and keyed off immediately. Soon fire was shooting out of my heater on the passenger side next to the core.

The heater box was packed solid with about 4 lbs of rodent nest material. Cloth, scraps of paper and bits of plastic. It was kindling and the heater box went up like match paper. The fire was out of control before long.

The fire took a dumpy old laptop, a tool box with some Ryobi power tools, my 9mm handgun (luckily unloaded in a case behind the driver's seat) all of my Comanche specific manuals and my favorite jacket. :smith:

by the time the fire trucks got to the scene it was a column of smoke and flames.

I guess I'm in the market for another truck.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 23, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ohhhh man that sucks! Glad you're OK though... Vehicle fires can be nasty.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

:cry:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sandbagger SA posted:

WELP.

It happened.

I decided to drive the MJ back to my apartment in Kittery last night. I had finally got the radio fixed and the heater working. The weather was fantastic and it seemed like everything was going great.

I got to 5 minutes of where I was going and smoke started pouring out of the heater box. I pulled over and keyed off immediately. Soon fire was shooting out of my heater on the passenger side next to the core.

The heater box was packed solid with about 4 lbs of rodent nest material. Cloth, scraps of paper and bits of plastic. It was kindling and the heater box went up like match paper. The fire was out of control before long.

The fire took a dumpy old laptop, a tool box with some Ryobi power tools, my 9mm handgun (luckily unloaded in a case behind the driver's seat) all of my Comanche specific manuals and my favorite jacket. :smith:

by the time the fire trucks got to the scene it was a column of smoke and flames.

I guess I'm in the market for another truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:(

That one was in pretty good shape, too, aside from the electrical and engine management system. Keep anything you can, hopefully the drivetrain and bed/rear axle/tailgate/gas tank/etc are OK.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're rusting in heaven now, beautiful angel :(

Poor Comanche.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Rust in peace gentle Comanche :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

poo poo. That's lousy for so many reasons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
On the plus side, this motivated me to buy fire extinguishers for all my cars.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Kastein tool box is cursed

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

This.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure it was the PO's wiring or perhaps pre-existing damage to the harness that was reawakened with the newly repaired fuse panel actually powering the dodgy circuits again. Really blows.

... gently caress. Just thought of something else. Did you check what fuses were in each slot on the new panel you installed? I owned my '88 from 2011 till this summer without ever checking on the wiring or fuses and then discovered it had something like half a dozen 40-amp fuses jammed into 5, 7.5, 10, 15, and 20 amp slots by the idiot PO. Fortunately it only melted a bunch of my harness rather than setting the truck on fire though.

... I'm going to pull the fuses for all non-critical circuits when I get home, until I have a chance to look over the wiring more closely. That's the second time I've seen a dash fire from dodgy electricals total an MJ and I don't want to be the third.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the PO's wiring or perhaps pre-existing damage to the harness that was reawakened with the newly repaired fuse panel actually powering the dodgy circuits again. Really blows.

... gently caress. Just thought of something else. Did you check what fuses were in each slot on the new panel you installed? I owned my '88 from 2011 till this summer without ever checking on the wiring or fuses and then discovered it had something like half a dozen 40-amp fuses jammed into 5, 7.5, 10, 15, and 20 amp slots by the idiot PO. Fortunately it only melted a bunch of my harness rather than setting the truck on fire though.

... I'm going to pull the fuses for all non-critical circuits when I get home, until I have a chance to look over the wiring more closely. That's the second time I've seen a dash fire from dodgy electricals total an MJ and I don't want to be the third.

It wasn't electrical. I went all over that harness. Everything had a proper fuse and was spliced properly. I wasn't Kastein level anal but I used the best wire management I could. I only kept fuses in for things that I'd fixed.

The fire started and burned a hole right between the blower and the core. I'm about 99% sure it was caused by the mouse nest.

Astonishing Wang posted:

seriously- did that box come off a mazda pickup?

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Viking funeral :black101: