Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

I was looking at jerseys for beer league teams today and it made me kind of sad that I play in a league where everyone wears the same reversible jerseys. Maybe after a couple seasons of stinky socks I'll look into a more legit league with standings and stuff, or do they not normally have those leagues at the D level?

NESHL teams wear whatever the team comes up with, and that is likely your next step after stinky socks.

Also, I'm back in stinky socks for the summer (quincy on sundays, come on down) and now that game one is done, I'm just going to wear a regular blue or white jersey. I think the reversible one has a layer of asbestos between the two jerseys to make sure the heat stays trapped inside. So efficient!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think I need to add a workout/hockey day to my week because I've been getting runner's stomach afterwards.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
What the hell is runners stomach?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

MajorJohnSteed posted:

I play at Chelsea Piers as well. I did the Wednesday night hockey instructionals, for a bit and I've been skating with one of the coaches every week. I just finished up my first season in the lowest level rec league and I'm loving it. I was wondering if there were other NYC/Chelsea Piers goons out there.

Did you find the instructionals worth it? In terms of time and cost I'm not sure how much I can really sign up for at once so I'm trying to decide if it'd be best to do those or just try jumping in to the rec league.

Which coach do you work with? We generally have Craig, who I really like, and a guy who's name I didn't catch early on and still can't quite figure out but he's European and it sounds like Yeebo or something.

Habibi posted:

I'm not a big fan of typical squats, period. It's great if you're a bodybuilder or a strongman competitor or something, but for purposes of athletic performance and injury avoidance, I think there are as or more effective exercises that don't place the same strain on the back, hips, knees, even shoulders.

And while you're probably right that it's mostly a question of technique, I'm going to second some sort of plyometric work for those quick starts. Strength is great, but what you're looking for is explosiveness.

I would agree, in general, that barbell back squats are not the best idea for 99% of people. And for those, the vast majority actually shouldn't be shooting for below parallel, because that final few inches is where most of the difficulties start popping up.

Front squats or safety bar squats, though, are something everyone should add to their workout even if you already do unilateral stuff.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i ate a shoulder in the mouth last night and now I look like I have permanent duckface

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

What the hell is runners stomach?

Bad stomach cramps/The shits afterwards.

Then again I've been reading that your diet during the day helps out a lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diet definitely helps, I'm on a strict regimen of burgers and fries and I never get this so called runner's stomach.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

MajorJohnSteed posted:

I play at Chelsea Piers as well. I did the Wednesday night hockey instructionals, for a bit and I've been skating with one of the coaches every week. I just finished up my first season in the lowest level rec league and I'm loving it. I was wondering if there were other NYC/Chelsea Piers goons out there.

I'm at Chelsea Piers as well, although it's the Stamford, CT one. NBCSN studios are literally attached to the building, I keep hoping I'll see Millbury, Jones, or JR on the ice one of these days

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bewbies posted:

i ate a shoulder in the mouth last night and now I look like I have permanent duckface

Wear a cage, brother. Don't want to sport a hockey grille for an interview.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah bewbies listen to the new goalie

oh I still can't unsee sideways nose from Wednesday. Barf.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 20, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm skating again tonight. I'm gonna get those crossovers to the right if it kills me

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

EvilTwig posted:

NESHL teams wear whatever the team comes up with, and that is likely your next step after stinky socks.

Also, I'm back in stinky socks for the summer (quincy on sundays, come on down) and now that game one is done, I'm just going to wear a regular blue or white jersey. I think the reversible one has a layer of asbestos between the two jerseys to make sure the heat stays trapped inside. So efficient!

The reversible jerseys seem like a cool idea, but they're so heavy. One guy on my team has the normal only white jersey and the eight difference between them is amazing. The first time I wore a generic black practice jersey to a stick and puck after playing in the stinky socks jersey all the time I was almost shivering on the ice because I wasn't used to feeling the 2mph wind as I skated.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Wear a cage, brother. Don't want to sport a hockey grille for an interview.
You can't wear a tinted visor and a cage... priorities.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

An alternative to Chelsea Piers is City Ice in Queens. It's just over the river from Manhattan and the 7 train runs right by it. The quality of the ice in the summer is akin to a swimming pool, however they let you drink beers in the locker rooms, which is a plus.

Also in the winter time if you get a chance, I highly suggest playing at least one season in the adult league at Lasker Rink in Central Park. Playing in the middle of the wooded area under the stars is like living in a Canadian painting. The ice sort of sucks and games are subject to weather conditions, but I still have good memories from it and a swank championship hat with a Trump ice rink logo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a dude I'd never met before at drop-in last night, had a yellow tinted visor. Badass handlebar moustache.. I figured he was the real deal. Then he spent the next two hours shuffling around on the ice barely able to stop. He was also pleasant in a conversation.

This destroyed my expectations, to this point anyone with a tint has either been a veteran trying to prove his NHL readiness by stunting on never-evers, or a colossal shitturd. Or both.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
related news: junior and college kids skating with us like doubles the speed and intensity of our games and I'm not sure I like this anymore

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Loqieu posted:

An alternative to Chelsea Piers is City Ice in Queens. It's just over the river from Manhattan and the 7 train runs right by it. The quality of the ice in the summer is akin to a swimming pool, however they let you drink beers in the locker rooms, which is a plus.

Also in the winter time if you get a chance, I highly suggest playing at least one season in the adult league at Lasker Rink in Central Park. Playing in the middle of the wooded area under the stars is like living in a Canadian painting. The ice sort of sucks and games are subject to weather conditions, but I still have good memories from it and a swank championship hat with a Trump ice rink logo.

I live in Jersey so Queens is just too much of a trek for me. Definitely want to check out Lasker, though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

This destroyed my expectations, to this point anyone with a tint has either been a veteran trying to prove his NHL readiness by stunting on never-evers, or a colossal shitturd. Or both.

You know you'd like me if we skated together. I wish I could have been the guy to ruin that expectation.

I wanted to be your first.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts has been at the centre of every fight I've witnessed in his league

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also his post history strongly indicates he is, in fact, a shitturd.

Colossal-ness is yet to be determined.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

xzzy posted:

There was a dude I'd never met before at drop-in last night, had a yellow tinted visor. Badass handlebar moustache.. I figured he was the real deal. Then he spent the next two hours shuffling around on the ice barely able to stop. He was also pleasant in a conversation.

I really want to get a pink tinted visor in an effort to look like the biggest shitturd, but i'm worried seeing everything in pink will ruin my vision. Choices, choices.

Is there a list of things people wear in hockey that makes them look like an rear end in a top hat? I need this for research...

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Grey jerseys to rat hockey

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Red jerseys are pretty bad too. They seem to think it means the jersey works for either bench, but nope, it just means everyone fucks up their first couple shifts before they get used to it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only reason red jerseys piss me off is because i've played too many games where the guys in red have split and end up playing against eachother.

Brilliant, I can either pass to the Russian guy in red on my left charging forward, or the russian guy on the right charging forward. Who's on my team? Nobody knows!

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Red jerseys are pretty bad too. They seem to think it means the jersey works for either bench, but nope, it just means everyone fucks up their first couple shifts before they get used to it.

Here one of the color-coded women's league divisions is Red, so I'm used to pretty much every woman I ever play with owning a set of red and white jerseys and red always being used for dark.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Grey and yellow are the best worst colors to choose at pickup.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One of the first things I did when I started playing hockey was buy a black jersey and a white jersey. gently caress everyone who wears dumb colours to shinny.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Skated against this guy last night. It's rare that I can't look out over a forward, so that was an interesting experience. He tried to come down my side on a half hearted attempt at a breakaway but got shut down. I really wanted him to find a different option for getting into his offensive zone so I started chirping at him, but that doesn't really work on a former professional athlete. We got into it in front of the crease, and now I know what it's like to play against someone bigger than you are, cuz he twisted around and popped me in the head with his elbow fighting for the puck.

Nice guy, okay skater, hard shot. Very similar to when I checked Derek Holland the week before we blew out his knee.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's cool when ex-pro athletes pick up hockey after retirement :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The closest I've gotten to a pro is one of Chelios' cousins.

His shot is pretty bonkers, he goes from looking relaxed to vulcanized rubber missile faster than you can realize he's decided to shoot.

I call him smellios.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
A 7'2", 250+ pound guy flying around on skates sounds absolutely terrifying.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's a mirrored motorcycle visor that's been laying on the side of the highway for a few weeks and every time I drive by it I worry that something's happened to Henrik Zetterberg.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

There's a mirrored motorcycle visor that's been laying on the side of the highway for a few weeks and every time I drive by it I worry that something's happened to Henrik Zetterberg.

that's sellouts

mine is tinted

get it right

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

to be fair i think guardrail started it

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Straight talk... If I could get ahold of a mirrored visor, I totally would

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Two seconds on ebay finds several options so I question your dedication.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Nah, nah, he wants the mirroring effect on the inside.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So back to the lefty righty thing. Should I just get a stick for each and see what works? My puck handling is garbage lefty, and my shot/passing is garbage righty

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're going to be garbage at everything for a while. Use whatever your gut tells you to go with and practice whatever you're bad at until you're not bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Vital Signs posted:

You can't wear a tinted visor and a cage... priorities.

You can get one of those hybrid cage/visor things. Some brief searching makes me think finding a tinted replacement shield for one of those things will be tough to find but you could always get a roll of that do it yourself car window tint and tint the visor yourself at home. It would work I've done a couple motorcycle shields that way.