Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What's the World 600/All Star race weeks like?

Do the locals get all excited for it like Indiana natives for the "500" or what? I'm asking sincerely because I've always wondered how the show is down there.

(I'm familiar with Humpy Wheeler's bad rear end pre-race stuff...just wondering if there's anything more?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

Man I've been told in that video. Who was that aimed at? Also :lol: being a vaper.

he joined yesterday and posted that today, unprovoked and totally separated from anything else going on, it was great

rip in piss random dude, we hardly knew ye

e- dude is still posting awesomeness distilled, why I do not know

someone buy him an account

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 19, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FuzzySkinner posted:

Do the locals get all excited for it like Indiana natives for the "500" or what? I'm asking sincerely because I've always wondered how the show is down there.

(I'm familiar with Humpy Wheeler's bad rear end pre-race stuff...just wondering if there's anything more?)

Went to the 600 for five years between 1998 and 2002. I can't compare it to Indianapolis on Memorial Day weekend as I've never been, but Indy in May probably generates more local excitement than Charlotte does.

It's just something that happens in town that weekend. Some people get excited, others probably don't.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

People don't "get excited" in Charlotte.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Peanut President posted:

People don't "get excited" in Charlotte.

Unless you bring up bathrooms, apparently.

It's not really anything much special compared to most races. If you want a race with some "excitement" and a bit of life around festivities, Dega or Daytona are where to go.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The 600 is a loooong race to sit through, especially if it's a hot and sunny day. Last one I went to was the rain shortened one that they restarted Sunday and then called for rain again.

It was a poo poo race and I've held it against Charlotte ever since.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

I live 20 minutes from the track and while I'm more of a drag racing fan I can enjoy any sort of automotive related fun. The locals are sort of split. Many embrace it (it is Earnhardt country around here after all), a lot of the typical Charlotte banker types hate the crowds and the traffic issues on the north side of town during the "10 days in May". Its nothing for them to shutdown the uptown streets and drive NASCAR cars around the city. The Thurs/Fri/Sat between the races they have a "Speed Street Festival" in town as well.
I worked three races as an usher last May at the track and I thought the racing was poo poo. I hate the 1.5 mile ovals. I hope the aero stuff makes for better door to door racing this year.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

the_worm_ posted:

I hope the aero stuff makes for better door to door racing this year.

this is a great way to let everyone in the thread know you haven't watched a race or pay much attention at all after a third of the year is done, lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mischief posted:

The 600 is a loooong race to sit through, especially if it's a hot and sunny day. Last one I went to was the rain shortened one that they restarted Sunday and then called for rain again.

It was a poo poo race and I've held it against Charlotte ever since.

I went to that "race" and left before it got restarted on Monday, and to add insult to injury, I missed a d-root win.

At least the Indy 500 sucked rear end that year so I didn't miss much else

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We had free suite tickets so we went both days for the free food and beer.

The pre race was fun that year, the Chinook they flew in was hilariously close to our seats. I probably could have thrown a rock and hit it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://www.kevinharvick.com/news/harvick-signs-long-term-contract-extension-with-stewart-haas-racing

So much for those Hendrick rumors.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

this is a great way to let everyone in the thread know you haven't watched a race or pay much attention at all after a third of the year is done, lol

I watched the last hour of Dover while waiting on FS1's NHRA coverage. :shrug:

It was great racing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

the_worm_ posted:

I watched the last hour of Dover while waiting on FS1's NHRA coverage. :shrug:

It was great racing.

I'm just pokin' fun, but yeah the consensus pretty much is we don't have to wait to make the call, Brian France and NASCAR went fuckin' yard on this one

The worst race this year would have been top 5 last year

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jeff Gluck's been running Twitter polls on the quality of the races this year, which I've found pretty telling (in a good way!)

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/732578750068629504

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Dover and Fontana over Bristol and Talladega...

It's a strange new world, fellas.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I never thought I'd say it, but I wouldn't mind a second Fontana race nowadays. The races there have been solid the last few years.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

I never thought I'd say it, but I wouldn't mind a second Fontana race nowadays. The races there have been solid the last few years.

Yeah the racing has been great this decade. Just took many years to get the track from a single groove to drive everywhere.

Speaking of tracks, Gran Turismo Sport showed off a gameplay trailer and they made a faux-Bristol Motor Speedway but with asphalt. Kind of dorky seeing GT3 cars running around it though but I thought that was cool.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/23SpeedRacer/status/731953597672357888

I don't know what this is a reference to but same.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
SRA continues to own

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

SRA continues to own

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm not sure what brought on that tweet and if there's a backstory, so I'll just say Yes.

God didn't like that they didn't move the Showdown back to Saturday night as He intended, so it'll run tomorrow morning 11am.

Trucks are apparently running tonight with no practice.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://www.thevideogames.co.uk/nascar-heat-evolution-releases-on-september-13-for-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

DMR was extremely hush about the development of this year's game, but apparently they have the old Heat/Dirt to Daytona team working on it. So maybe a decent game coming this year.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm not sure what brought on that tweet and if there's a backstory, so I'll just say Yes.

God didn't like that they didn't move the Showdown back to Saturday night as He intended, so it'll run tomorrow morning 11am.

Trucks are apparently running tonight with no practice.

SRA on the front row!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Slickdrac posted:

https://www.thevideogames.co.uk/nascar-heat-evolution-releases-on-september-13-for-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

DMR was extremely hush about the development of this year's game, but apparently they have the old Heat/Dirt to Daytona team working on it. So maybe a decent game coming this year.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck I don't wanna get hyped but I think I'm getting hyped.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Trucks postponed until tomorrow noon est looks like.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Slickdrac posted:

If this is even half as good as Heat 2002 and Dirt to Daytona were I'll be fuckin' so happy, man. EA's games really took a nosedive starting with 2005 and Eutechnyx's games had a decent driving model but just the worst game built around that model that they could have possibly made.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

If this is even half as good as Heat 2002 and Dirt to Daytona were I'll be fuckin' so happy, man. EA's games really took a nosedive starting with 2005 and Eutechnyx's games had a decent driving model but just the worst game built around that model that they could have possibly made.

First console game I bought was 2006: Total Team Control. :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dig out your PS2 and find yourself a copy of Dirt to Daytona. You won't be disappointed. It rocks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cubey posted:

Dig out your PS2 and find yourself a copy of Dirt to Daytona. You won't be disappointed. It rocks.

I have a ps2 and one game.. dirt to daytona,it looks like poo poo on an flat panel but I'll be damned If it's not fun. When I don't feel like running iracing I hook my wheel to the ps2 and go to town.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone itt was playing that on twitch which was great.

That soundtrack.:allears:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

LordPants posted:

First console game I bought was 2006: Total Team Control. :(

I loved that game. I'd skip qualifying every race and would just race from the back every time

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LordPants posted:

Someone itt was playing that on twitch which was great.

That soundtrack.:allears:

That was prolly me, I streamed both it and Thunder 2003 a great deal a while ago.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

That was prolly me, I streamed both it and Thunder 2003 a great deal a while ago.

What was the name of that super great/horrible song?

Ungratek posted:

I loved that game. I'd skip qualifying every race and would just race from the back every time

I was never any good, I couldn't get used to the push the cars had.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ah man I wanted to see some Spanner Goldenher and all I see is a rerun fake race.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

That was prolly one of the Thunder 2003 songs, all of which aside from Magic Carpet Ride were pretty bad.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

HEY

YOU

GETINTOMAHCAR

MEEEEEE?

YES YOU

GETINTOMAHCAR

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Possibly Chicken posted:

HEY

YOU

GETINTOMAHCAR

MEEEEEE?

YES YOU

GETINTOMAHCAR
Still better than 2004:

:black101:AYE!

:black101:H8!

:black101:EVERYTHIN ABOWT U!

Fake edit:
NASCAR Summer 2016: I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! WHY DO I LOVE YOU?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I haven't played 2004 in so long that I forgot it even had Three Days Grace in it. Man, looking back, the 2000's were really loving awful for rock music.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1cffw02M6Q

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

t. Man, looking back, the 2000's were really loving awful for rock music.

That quote right there is an understatement.

There was a few blips of light here and there (I love "The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance), but god you really had to dig deep past the poo poo that was on the radio at the time.

• Locked thread