Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Seams posted:

that wrestler you like and who you think is good? guess what, he's actually bad.

psp.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Cavauro posted:

caught red-handed

ok

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I wish not every wrestler had to have feeding elbows/punches/forearms/clotheslines as part of their comeback

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I wish not every wrestler had to have feeding elbows/punches/forearms/clotheslines as part of their comeback

It's really annoying for Reigns. He does the same setup (corner taunt, run) for his signature punch as he does for his finishing spear

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Not to dogpile on Ambrose, but his gentle pushes at the beginning of his comback are really bad

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Chris James 2 posted:

It's really annoying for Reigns. He does the same setup (corner taunt, run) for his signature punch as he does for his finishing spear

His signature corner clothesline move looks like dogshit too

however that Crucifix powerbomb on AJ was awesome

basically the big power guy should do more big power moves instead of moves that are just like his finishers except shittier

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Whoever wins MITB this year is going to cash in on Roman Reigns and lose, I can feel it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Whoever wins MITB this year is going to cash in on Roman Reigns and lose, I can feel it.

At least Bray Wyatt will have a briefcase this time. Technically he'll have won something for once

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Chris James 2 posted:

The theatrics for the Superman Punch need to just go away. He hits that thing out of nowhere all the time anyway, that fist cock is asinine, and you'd probably make the spear theatrics look better just by lack of a competing element.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I love Ambrose and think he's smart to ease up on the ring work and go heavy on the character work. letting him originate a match is a pretty clear indication that he ain't ever getting a sniff of the big belt

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ambrose should replace his personality with thumbtacks imo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

At least Bray Wyatt will have a briefcase this time. Technically he'll have won something for once

He's already witnessed Roman's weakness to briefcases firsthand.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The_Rob posted:

I was just thinking about this, why does WWE always go for a small child audience. I feel like appealing to 13 year olds would be way better, because when I think of when my tastes in media really started to formulate and stick with me was my teenage years. When your a kid you kind of just move on from interest to interest as a teen you become obsessive, and will probably be a long term fan.

Going back to this, the main reason is that its easier to write for a small child audience. For the most part small kids all have pretty similar tastes and interests which rarely shift from generation to generation. As kids get older you have to touch a wider range of interest bases, and you have to be more contemporary and modern. It's significantly more challenging for advertisers for example to advertise to teenagers and make it seem authentic for them than it is for them to advertise to kids. Same follows with lots of other creative media pursuits.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

sasha banks is way better than becky lynch

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Seams posted:

that wrestler you like and who you think is good? guess what, he's actually bad.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Rowdy Ringsports - that wrestler you like and who you think is good? guess what, he's actually bad

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Vince figured out a long time before Dreamworks did that if you put stuff in kids entertainment for the adults that they'll gravitate towards it. I dunno how many of you in this forum have kids but there's a reason Disney is so ubiquitous- it's pretty much the only game in town for kids until they are 9 or 10. WWE is generational and cyclical in that kids watch it with their parents and then with their own kids- it makes sense to write for that. Yeah, it's got some stupid moral messages and everything is solved with violence but it's pretty sanitized and justified within the context- there isn't a lot of entertainment like that out there.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Ostentatious posted:

sasha banks is way better than becky lynch

Just ask Sasha's best friend. He's a doctor.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Rollins non-turn really soured me on that show badly but to be honest after digesting it the show as a whole wasn't bad. Well I mean, even at my saltiest last night I mentioned how all the right people qualified for MITB which is wholly true. Also AJ ditching The Club is probably a good thing for lots of reasons. The shame is that I think literally all of WWE is good right now and booked well EXCEPT the main event which is so soul-crushingly oppressive and bad that it tends to sour me on the product as a whole. It's an inverse Attitude Era.

And for those of you saying boycott, I don't WANT to. I enjoy the product enough and there are enough guys I want to see to warrant continued support of the product. I'm in a no-win situation. Also for as much as I loathe Seth being heel, I do understand the argument that WWE needs a top heel right now. That's 100% true, and credit to Seth for continued amazing work. It just loving sucks.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Efexeye posted:

Vince figured out a long time before Dreamworks did that if you put stuff in kids entertainment for the adults that they'll gravitate towards it. I dunno how many of you in this forum have kids but there's a reason Disney is so ubiquitous- it's pretty much the only game in town for kids until they are 9 or 10. WWE is generational and cyclical in that kids watch it with their parents and then with their own kids- it makes sense to write for that. Yeah, it's got some stupid moral messages and everything is solved with violence but it's pretty sanitized and justified within the context- there isn't a lot of entertainment like that out there.

But the audience isn't kids. The main audience are people in their 40's.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Not to dogpile on Ambrose, but his gentle pushes at the beginning of his comback are really bad

I love Ambrose with my entire soul and think the lariat and ESPECIALLY Dirty Deeds get too much poo poo (Dirty Deeds owns) but this is 100% the truth.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wait till after MITB to "boycott" anything, or at least wait until Balor/Nakamura come up and do a thing. only bad thing that I disliked post-Mania really was the ending of the xtreme rules match with A Tackle but everything else has been way better than it was before Mania

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

This is the main thing I hate about Reigns. His finish has the same setup as another major move he does and it's loving weird.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Sasha.. Becky.. Maybe they neeeeeeed to find some TITS!!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Today I was talking to a friend I made here in Japan who only recently became a wrestling fan because of The Shield. I was explaining to her about why I had also loved them as a unit and all the different reasons I loved to see Roman, Seth and Dean on my screen. But after the conversation was over it caused me to realize that instead of a WWE where Roman is super cool, Dean is a crazy killer and Seth is an amazing superhero, I watch a WWE Roman is unlikable, Dean is a loser and I can barely muster any enthusiasm for Seth because they immediately set him up to lose his return storyline. And most damning, I don't even want the Shield itself to come back because I know as things are it will be inevitably poisoned because of what has happened to the three guys who made it up.

It was a really depressing thought.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

beggar posted:

Sasha.. Becky.. Maybe they neeeeeeed to find some TITS!!

Man, I wish your dad had failed to save those tapes and got fired for it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah it's weird Roman has the same setup for like his finisher and two other moves. It's be like if Austin kicked the gut and got on position for the Stunner and then just did a snapmare for some reason.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Today I was talking to a friend I made here in Japan who only recently became a wrestling fan because of The Shield. I was explaining to her about why I had also loved them as a unit and all the different reasons I loved to see Roman, Seth and Dean on my screen. But after the conversation was over it caused me to realize that instead of a WWE where Roman is super cool, Dean is a crazy killer and Seth is an amazing superhero, I watch a WWE Roman is unlikable, Dean is a loser and I can barely muster any enthusiasm for Seth because they immediately set him up to lose his return storyline. And most damning, I don't even want the Shield itself to come back because I know as things are it will be inevitably poisoned because of what has happened to the three guys who made it up.

It was a really depressing thought.

If the Shield ever comes back it'll be because they think they're out of ways to get him cheered

So either this Summerslam, or a random show in 2022 when he's finally done beating all the indie stars they poach into the ground and it miraculously hasn't resulted in applause

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The_Rob posted:

But the audience isn't kids. The main audience are people in their 40's.

yeah but i think i said like a million times or perhaps a billion times before that 40 year olds dont buy playsets and are too embarassed to still like wrestling to buy t shirts, they pirate streams of pay per views

theres a lot more long term spending and purchasing potential in hooking a 7 year old than there is a 40 year old

A Salty Affair
Oct 9, 2012

You know what's worse than the wacky-line? The modified version where Dean does a little half-assed parkour hop off the lowest turnbuckle and then slowly jogs back towards his opponent to deliver a clothesline.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Are there any rumors as to the next Wrestlemania main event? Is a Shield triple threat on the table? Seems like the biggest match they could do without using part timers.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Are there any rumors as to the next Wrestlemania main event? Is a Shield triple threat on the table? Seems like the biggest match they could do without using part timers.

The main event for next Mania usually doesn't crop up until after Summerslam. My money is on Reigns/Cena though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Depends on Taker honestly. If he wants to be there, Taker/Cena's happening. If he's not, I imagine they do Reigns/Cena torch passing.

Rock/Brock's expected

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Rock/Brock's expected

By who?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave's been under the impression it's happening at a Mania for a while. Only reason it didn't happen this past one was because Rock couldn't get cleared for a full match with contact, and it should have been obvious Ambrose/Brock was never a long-term plan to happen at Mania with how poor that turned out. Much like Reigns being champ, it's been an idea (good or bad) all parties have had for so long it's going to happen eventually, and barring any more fuckups/injuries it seems like it'll be next year

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A Salty Affair posted:

You know what's worse than the wacky-line? The modified version where Dean does a little half-assed parkour hop off the lowest turnbuckle and then slowly jogs back towards his opponent to deliver a clothesline.

it's laughably bad and I don't know why he does it so often

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

why's this thread so mean every week lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm always confused when people talk about the Shield 3-way being at WrestleMania. I started watching wrestling at Summerslam 2014, right after The Shield broke up. In the almost two years since then, I think The Shield has been referenced on TV like 5 times. Even when Roman/Rollins was happening, even when Roman and Dean were broing out, it was never talked about in terms of The Shield.

People still seem to be holding out that this one great storyline will finally get a massive blow-off at a WrestleMania, and don't get me wrong, it'd be cool, but I don't know why it's treated as a guarantee. I'm sure a Shield 3-way would be awesome no matter when or where it happens, but I could see that just as easily being at Summerslam or Survivor Series or whatever. Like, I don't have the reverence for the storyline that many of the people who were watching during it do, but I don't think WWE sees it as a huge draw for a Mania either. If they did, I think they would have put literally any effort into continuing to mention and talk about The Shield whenever relevant, instead of just talking about Roman and Dean being friends and Rollins just wanting the championship back.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave's been under the impression it's happening at a Mania for a while. Only reason it didn't happen this past one was because Rock couldn't get cleared for a full match with contact, and it should have been obvious Ambrose/Brock was never a long-term plan to happen at Mania with how poor that turned out. Much like Reigns being champ, it's been an idea (good or bad) all parties have had for so long it's going to happen eventually, and barring any more fuckups/injuries it seems like it'll be next year

I just feel like Rock is never gonna do a full match again at least not while he's an in demand movie star. It's ine thing to do a six second spot but the last two times he's wrestled a real match he got injured. Or maybe it was just one injury. Either way I hope it happens but I wouldn't be surprised if there was always some reason it never actually comes to fruition.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

yea ok posted:

why's this thread so mean every week lol

The WWE made us this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I just feel like Rock is never gonna do a full match again at least not while he's an in demand movie star. It's ine thing to do a six second spot but the last two times he's wrestled a real match he got injured. Or maybe it was just one injury. Either way I hope it happens but I wouldn't be surprised if there was always some reason it never actually comes to fruition.

Oh yeah I agree with that. It seems like there's always a chance it'll happen, I don't think it will but it's expected to. I think the thought is eventually he'll be free/not hurt/not filming the one month they actually need him. I just mostly think if it happens he'll be injured again, and I don't want to see that. The last full match he did he got hurt, and it sucks seeing these guys come back for big moments and break. Another example is Austin who wasn't even in the ring for a full 3 minutes segment at Mania and he got hurt. It's depressing at a point

• Locked thread