Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

8 track betamax posted:

I want to watch people play this so I can keep nursing this boiling rage

patton!!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

8 track betamax posted:

I want to watch people play this so I can keep nursing this boiling rage

this but unironically

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Well I'm not going to let you bunch of Debbie Downers spoil my excitement for the game, I tell you what.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I was very unironic in my post :twited:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I meant ironically

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

criscodisco posted:

Well I'm not going to let you bunch of Debbie Downers spoil my excitement for the game, I tell you what.

Lots of people just get really upset when all games aren't walk down a hallway with a gun for three hours

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I wonder if planet names have to be unique? If not I'm naming every planet "planet gay. so what".

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Germstore posted:

I wonder if planet names have to be unique? If not I'm naming every planet "planet gay. so what".

They don't. They use an expletive filter but I doubt gay will be in there considering the whole Xbox thing. I don't know about punctuation though, so it might have to be PLANET GAY SO WHAT

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
oh boy a full priced procedurally generated game

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Noctis 4EVA

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

chaosbreather posted:

Lots of people just get really upset when all games aren't walk down a hallway with a gun for three hours

hehe yeah only a dumbass who loves cod could hate this innovative piece of art !! :grin:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
actually this game should be called 'no man or woman's sky'

why aren't we getting mad about that?!?

edit: 'or other'

Dig Pick
Sep 5, 2008
I was super excited for this game when I saw the first video. Shooting animals? Cool. Exploring planets? Neat. Naming things after genitalia? Fun! Taking off into space? Awesome! Space Battles? Double Awesome!

Then I found out that there's no building. Huh, I thought that was the main reason people played games like this. Then they mentioned that there was no multiplayer. gently caress, why? Then I found out that each planet reverts back to how it was after you leave. gently caress you.

I thought the game was about exploring and every once in a long long while bumping into evidence that another player was there, and also being able to leave your own mark. If the only mark I can leave is being one of the 100% of people who name everything "Dickbutt" then what the gently caress. I want to carve a massive penis obelisk out of the biggest stone I can find, so that years down the road some child and his mother will stumble across this and she will beat him senseless for having seen genitals.

I'll keep an eye on the game, if it ever goes on sale for $20 then I'll absolutely buy it for nights when I'm too drunk or stoned to play something competitive. Maybe if the consensus is that the game is absolutely amazing I'll shell out the $60, but I can't imagine that happening.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No Xim's Sky

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Dig Pick posted:

I was super excited for this game when I saw the first video. Shooting animals? Cool. Exploring planets? Neat. Naming things after genitalia? Fun! Taking off into space? Awesome! Space Battles? Double Awesome!

Then I found out that there's no building. Huh, I thought that was the main reason people played games like this. Then they mentioned that there was no multiplayer. gently caress, why? Then I found out that each planet reverts back to how it was after you leave. gently caress you.

I thought the game was about exploring and every once in a long long while bumping into evidence that another player was there, and also being able to leave your own mark. If the only mark I can leave is being one of the 100% of people who name everything "Dickbutt" then what the gently caress. I want to carve a massive penis obelisk out of the biggest stone I can find, so that years down the road some child and his mother will stumble across this and she will beat him senseless for having seen genitals.

I'll keep an eye on the game, if it ever goes on sale for $20 then I'll absolutely buy it for nights when I'm too drunk or stoned to play something competitive. Maybe if the consensus is that the game is absolutely amazing I'll shell out the $60, but I can't imagine that happening.

you have some strange ideas man

you have eighteen billion billion earth sized planets to explore and you want to revisit one spot on one of them? you feel like you should be able to make a mark, on all that? you think a child will luck into even being on the same planet as your rock penis let alone the same patch of land, despite the odds of them spontaneously teleporting through quantum effects into your bathroom would be higher?

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like maybe that's too many planets.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

this game seems heavily inspired by elite and so I assume the primary form of combat is failing to rotate your ship correctly when you're trying to dock with a rotating space station and exploding into fiery wreckage

MiracleWhale fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 25, 2016

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I have it on good authority that once you get to the galactic core your body gets transformed by alien technology into a gigantic Planet Eater Spaceworm as big as a sun and every time you eat a planet you grow. if you can wrap another player in your hellish spaceworm plasma tube they explode and if they're playing in vr their view spins so rapidly they puke all over their couch. at the upper right of the screen is a counter reading "trillions of life forms massacred" and every time you massacre another trillion your spaceworm does the macarena

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

MiracleWhale posted:

I have it on good authority that once you get to the galactic core your body gets transformed by alien technology into a gigantic Planet Eater Spaceworm as big as a sun and every time you eat a planet you grow. if you can wrap another player in your hellish spaceworm plasma tube they explode and if they're playing in vr their view spins so rapidly they puke all over their couch. at the upper right of the screen is a counter reading "trillions of life forms massacred" and every time you massacre another trillion your spaceworm does the macarena

that seems pretty likely. it is the burnout guys, after all

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Goons mad about another spaceship game.
Who knew?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Other than the mods.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you know whats cool you can just literally walk into the forest in most directions and find places that people never have been too like just start bushwhacking in a place thats been undeveloped

but tell someone where you are going and bring adequate gear and have a plan because the drat forest is a big uncaring place

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

numberoneposter posted:

you know whats cool you can just literally walk into the forest in most directions and find places that people never have been too like just start bushwhacking in a place thats been undeveloped

but tell someone where you are going and bring adequate gear and have a plan because the drat forest is a big uncaring place

Listen up, bro...I think you're underestimating the lure of being able to stay at home, tap on your keyboard, and see a combination of pixels that no one else will see!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

they are just going to recycle their tech into No Man's Sky 2: Now We Have A Plot

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
When they were coding this poo poo it's like no man tried ! 😂

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Snowmans Die

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Wow look at that procedurally generated deer

welp, guess I'm off to find the next procedurally generated deer, see ya

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Dig Pick posted:

As far as I know there is multiplayer, and it would evolve as time progresses. Marks you make on the planet you discover and your starting planet, I thought, remained there. There's a video of them discussing possibly finding and exploring another player's "base". Every undiscovered planet is a seed, and when discovered it becomes the world you see and you can make marks that remain though it's improbable anyone else will run across them.

Every player has a guide to the center of the galaxy, in a universe with an unknown number of galaxies. It would only make sense that you could travel to other galaxies at that point. There is no end game.

You can upload planet coordinates to the Atlas which will allow friends to travel there if they are in the same galaxy, indicating to me that the center is your commerce hub, where people move in between galaxies. So player/player interaction is possible.

Unless everything I've seen and read is a lie, even wikipedia.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Acid Haze posted:

protip: everything you've seen and read is a lie, even wikipedia and the bible

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Listen up, bro...I think you're underestimating the lure of being able to stay at home, tap on your keyboard, and see a combination of pixels that no one else will see!

i expect this game will be about as interesting as those Mandelbrot set infinite zoom fractals. amusing for 10-20min then fairly repetitive. "oh wow, another weird squiggly shape that no human has ever seen before, how fascinating" :rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foxD6ZQlnlU

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

MiracleWhale posted:

protip: everything you've seen and read is a lie, even wikipedia and the bible

Well I knew about the bible at least. The more you know.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

Acid Haze posted:

As far as I know there is multiplayer, and it would evolve as time progresses. Marks you make on the planet you discover and your starting planet, I thought, remained there. There's a video of them discussing possibly finding and exploring another player's "base". Every undiscovered planet is a seed, and when discovered it becomes the world you see and you can make marks that remain though it's improbable anyone else will run across them.

Every player has a guide to the center of the galaxy, in a universe with an unknown number of galaxies. It would only make sense that you could travel to other galaxies at that point. There is no end game.

You can upload planet coordinates to the Atlas which will allow friends to travel there if they are in the same galaxy, indicating to me that the center is your commerce hub, where people move in between galaxies. So player/player interaction is possible.

Hell, have you seen this thing. When they were coding this hunk of shot it's like no man tried!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

alright goons, let me explain to you how what's-his-name explained how the game works (while drunk as gently caress :cheers:)

based on a video that ign (aka sean murray's dick sucker) posted, :nms: is a game where in order to progress to the center of the gay-laxy (which is pretty loving BIG :btroll:) you must upgrade your ship. In order to upgrade your ship, you have to get certain resources. In order to get these very specific resources, you must locate these resources on generated planets that may or may not contain them, or complete quests for aliens which will require you to understand the alien's language which requires quests of learning the specific language which can be acquired via various structures on planets. you can also break into various buildings and steal resources (which may be part of said quest) or steal it via being a space pirate or whatever. It's not really dependent on getting it minecraft-style. maybe if you suck a couple alien dicks you might be able to progress, though he hasn't said.

you get to name animals in which other players may or may not see. It no doubt depends on the number of players that enter the game. multiplayer is limited to the boundaries that dark souls/bloodborne and journey's style of multiplayer has, which really isn't multiplayer. generating animal names and instances of other players appearing but not interacting with is pretty easy to do on servers compared to stuff like MMOs.

basically this is a procedurally generated advanced sporecraft game with some generated creatures (which are really there for appearance/danger/personal ego for naming them peniscockdongs) in the artistic style of famous science fiction book cover artist Chris Foss. those robot motherfuckers are there just to make things hard.

apparently planets become more complex as you progress and approach the center of galaxy(universe? too lazy to do the math but I've heard both) where you reach a planet rendered as a goatse sphere only to discover that the core of the planet contains a dick pic that sean murray sent to his only love of his life as a teenager which he continues to obsess about to this day.

basically you need to be at the least slightly austistic, or stoned on marijuana in order to enjoy this game

loldongs

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I need space crystals to get my ship moving to warp speed. But I'll need a tractor axe to dig for the crystals. But I'll need to learn how to speak Meepzorp to communicate with an alien to find a diamandium ore deposit to build the tractor axe. But I must locate the codex to learn the language. And I'll need to level up my language skills first.

Each procedurally generated pink planet has a 1% chance of having a codex on it. Darn, this the 36th planet I've flown to in this system -- another blue one.

Crossing my fingers!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

so when does the DLC for ship reskins come out

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

symbolic posted:

so when does the DLC for ship reskins come out

when sean murray loses his virginity

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

but will it have ~fidelity~?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

is there ranked matchmaking 5 v 5 dust planet only no autos

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

is there ranked matchmaking 5 v 5 dust planet only no autos
knife tunns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Mozi posted:

no no sky buy man i