Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Utgardaloki posted:

you're all a bunch of sweaty tryhards.

the most you ever need is a good old baseball bat with some nails in it, and maybe a straight razor when you're feeling really classy.
im pretty sure the guy whos running around at people dodging gunfire with a baseball bat in their attempt to kill people is gonna be sweatier than a person just pulling a trigger

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't care so much about that since I think Benny's whole deal is that he'll gently caress you over. But dude really needed some closure if you rescue him from the Fort. Idealliy you should find him as a farmer on some remote location on the rear end-end of the map.
there's actually a cut encounter where benny ambushes you with a stealth boy if you rescue him in the fort
because benny never stops trying

a lot of the 'lil bits of cut/unused dialogue are great
see arcade's cut reaction to being ignored by the follower who asks you to bug house's place
https://tcrf.net/images/f/f2/FNV-vdialoguea_greeting_001611c6_1.ogg
https://tcrf.net/images/8/81/FNV-vdialoguea_greeting_001611c6_2.ogg

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
IIRC it's deliberately open-ended as to what the Courier knows or doesn't know, and asking questions about different locations/factions can be seen as either legitimate ignorance or an attempt to gauge another character's take on the subject-the Courier might very well know who the Legion and NCR are, but wants to know what the local take on the situation is. It's really up to the player to decide how much they know.

For the record, though, it's almost guaranteed (barring your own personal backstory you want to insert on your character) that the Courier came through the Mojave Outpost-the Long 15 is the primary (and only, since the Divide exploded) route into the Mojave from NCR territory. From there, they probably continued taking 15 north up until they got ambushed in Goodsprings, and either snuck past the Powder Gangers or simply got lucky and avoided their patrols.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Fereydun posted:

im pretty sure the guy whos running around at people dodging gunfire with a baseball bat in their attempt to kill people is gonna be sweatier than a person just pulling a trigger

there's actually a cut encounter where benny ambushes you with a stealth boy if you rescue him in the fort
because benny never stops trying

a lot of the 'lil bits of cut/unused dialogue are great
see arcade's cut reaction to being ignored by the follower who asks you to bug house's place
https://tcrf.net/images/f/f2/FNV-vdialoguea_greeting_001611c6_1.ogg
https://tcrf.net/images/8/81/FNV-vdialoguea_greeting_001611c6_2.ogg

I love it. Thinking about it, I never really used Arcade all that much. I need to do a doctor-bro run of the game so I can get all his reactions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Garrand posted:

I love it. Thinking about it, I never really used Arcade all that much. I need to do a doctor-bro run of the game so I can get all his reactions.

Unlimited companion mods are the poo poo because you gradually grow a huge following of incredibly random, wildly different best friends and pets following you everywhere.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

IIRC it's deliberately open-ended as to what the Courier knows or doesn't know, and asking questions about different locations/factions can be seen as either legitimate ignorance or an attempt to gauge another character's take on the subject-the Courier might very well know who the Legion and NCR are, but wants to know what the local take on the situation is. It's really up to the player to decide how much they know.

For the record, though, it's almost guaranteed (barring your own personal backstory you want to insert on your character) that the Courier came through the Mojave Outpost-the Long 15 is the primary (and only, since the Divide exploded) route into the Mojave from NCR territory. From there, they probably continued taking 15 north up until they got ambushed in Goodsprings, and either snuck past the Powder Gangers or simply got lucky and avoided their patrols.

According to the wiki, the NCRCF uprising only happened maybe a month before the Courier got shot. It is certainly plausible that Primm wasn't under Powder Ganger control when s/he passed by the first time. The Powder Gangers would have needed to spend a couple days securing the prison, and some of the dialog suggests that they spent some time just banditing in the area before the response of the locals made it necessary to take over Prim. For that matter, the Powder Gangers were in the process of taking over when the player first sees them, which was at least a week after the Courier passed by there.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

The one source I can find giving a date to the uprising is a single character at the 188 who says she had to flee primm "a month ago" because the powder gangers had started taking over, implying that either the uprising was a little while before that or that the factions split and went separate ways just shortly afterwards. Still well before the courier went up that direction.

It's just impossible to nail down exact dates like that in a game like fallout if it's not explicitly stated in a log somewhere.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Unlimited companion mods are the poo poo because you gradually grow a huge following of incredibly random, wildly different best friends and pets following you everywhere.

Makes combat lame though. And god help you if you walk into a narrow dead end.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Getting shot in the head has historically had negative effects on memory as well.

But yeah rope kid has pointed out that just because the Courier is asking about something doesn't mean they're ignorant of it. It'd be kind of hard to work in that area without having an inkling of what things like the NCR are.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

alot of the early dialog where your asking people about the ncr is the courier going "What's your take on the NCR?"

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, I just learned on my latest playthrough that when you're clearing out the booby trapped bottom floor of Harland's room, you can slip behind the desk the exploding computer is on, access it's back panel, and disarm it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Canemacar posted:

So, I just learned on my latest playthrough that when you're clearing out the booby trapped bottom floor of Harland's room, you can slip behind the desk the exploding computer is on, access it's back panel, and disarm it.

What's on the terminal then? Anything good?

Roobanguy posted:

alot of the early dialog where your asking people about the ncr is the courier going "What's your take on the NCR?"

Even the Legion you can have an inkling about. Most of the Legion questions are offered like the Courier could be aware of their presence, but also being surprised at how far they've pushed into the Mojave since the first Hoover Dam fight went down.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Clearly the best weapon is Maria. with the mod to give it fire bullets

I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy

Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame

God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Little torn between Maria and ALSiD for a preacher. Maria has the imagery, but ALSiD is made and wielded by (in)famous Mormon.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GuyUpNorth posted:

Little torn between Maria and ALSiD for a preacher. Maria has the imagery, but ALSiD is made and wielded by (in)famous Mormon.

Too bad you can't dual-wield.

But I went with a Hispanic Catholic priest, so Maria was obvious. Also Captain America used the M1911 and Tommy gun, so I wanted to get away from .45 Auto.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Maria is also stylish enough. A Light Shining in Darkness would be better as a full-size 1911, since the compact size makes it seem a bit stubby. Maria has nicer lines.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's on the terminal then? Anything good?

Booby-trapped terminals don't have anything on them, IIRC. You saw them a lot in Fallout 3, I think the one in the Repconn basement is the only one in New Vegas.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Byzantine posted:

Clearly the best weapon is Maria. with the mod to give it fire bullets

I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy

Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame

God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it.

Where did you get that priest robe?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Covok posted:

Where did you get that priest robe?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42393/

It looks good, but it clips the Pipboy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Having just done so, I can confirm that "Use mods to get all the companions at once, turn them essential, and destroy the Fort" is something that everyone has to do at least once. It turns into a hilarious bloodbath, especially when you spot the formation of troops below Caesar's tent and unload a Laser RCW into them.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Any tips for a guy planning to go heavy on guns? Last time I did that I ended up spending way too much money on a pistol that used some kind of rare ammo that I never had enough of.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Any tips for a guy planning to go heavy on guns? Last time I did that I ended up spending way too much money on a pistol that used some kind of rare ammo that I never had enough of.

Start crafting your own bullets ;)

(Handloader helps if you do this)

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 7, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Junk_Rounds

and in general make sure you break down all the ammo for guns you won't use and turn it into bullets you want

chitoryu12 posted:

Having just done so, I can confirm that "Use mods to get all the companions at once, turn them essential, and destroy the Fort" is something that everyone has to do at least once. It turns into a hilarious bloodbath, especially when you spot the formation of troops below Caesar's tent and unload a Laser RCW into them.

Yeah I've never had to cheat, I just charge in with boone or maybe power armored veronica. I like explosives for the drill field area in the back. The only hard part is killing everyone in caesar's tent in the 5 seconds before they punch you to death

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 7, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Better ammo is generally rarer, I'll bet you got a hunting revolver or a sequoia which use .45-70 ammo which is hardly anywhere to be found. A 12.7mm pistol or a .44 would get a lot more use, though a 12.7mm would take time to build up a good store. The best guns in general to go for are probably ones that use 5.56mm, that stuff is everywhere.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Also for guns, remember that Bradon or whatever his name is (the supply guy at Hoover Dam) and the Khans trader (in the basement of the house right before the canyon) both carry a lot more ammo than most of the other traders.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Goatfather posted:

Yeah I've never had to cheat, I just charge in with boone or maybe power armored veronica. I like explosives for the drill field area in the back. The only hard part is killing everyone in caesar's tent in the 5 seconds before they punch you to death

The thing that makes it so sweet is that so many Legionaries have melee weapons, so it ends up looking like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCtuZ-fDL2E&t=157s

And you end up with really neat moments, like Veronica suddenly appearing from around the other side of a tent to bash a Vexillarius in the face.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Bring a couple of different weapons for different situations and you'll probably never run dry

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Goatfather posted:

Before who punches who to death? :crossarms:

The hard part is making that tent feel like a challenge, when you're already fully doped up on Psycho, Slasher, Med-X, Jet, and a plethora of other combat drugs, and Caesar's bodyguards just keep exploding when I hit them with my Superheated Saturnite Fist.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Better ammo is generally rarer, I'll bet you got a hunting revolver or a sequoia which use .45-70 ammo which is hardly anywhere to be found

Yup.

I got that gun, a hunting rifle, and the silenced 22 so far. I think I'll be okay.

What repair skill level do I need to aim for to make the bullets I will need?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yup.

I got that gun, a hunting rifle, and the silenced 22 so far. I think I'll be okay.

What repair skill level do I need to aim for to make the bullets I will need?
Go look it up

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
70 gets you the Hand Loader perk which unlocks better recipes and makes it more likely to recover casings (when you fire a round the casing will appear in your inventory some of the time so you can craft replacement rounds). You'd only need 25 repair to craft the basic ammo though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

There's so many good guns, you might wanna go for a theme just to narrow it down - Soldier Grunt, Cowboy, Gangster, etc.

The Tommy gun will gently caress people up. Take Benny's suit and a prewar hat, slip some knuckledusters in your pocket for emergencies and start cracking skulls.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks.

I usually let the lottery winner go but I have the four eyes perk and I noticed he had glasses.

:kamina:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rotinaj posted:

Before who punches who to death? :crossarms:

The hard part is making that tent feel like a challenge, when you're already fully doped up on Psycho, Slasher, Med-X, Jet, and a plethora of other combat drugs, and Caesar's bodyguards just keep exploding when I hit them with my Superheated Saturnite Fist.

I figured the Legion hates guns, drugs, and women so I had a run where my female courier used her drug inventory as a checklist and hit everybody with the medicine stick while wearing Vera's dress before getting the achievements on him. Then I frag mine booby trapped Caesar. I think that's a pretty strong counterpoint to Legion ideology, and I've always been fond of the sort of boss you beat by comprehensively refuting their ideology.

I'm tempted to load it back up so I can run a clinical trial on the effectiveness of the medicine stick on brain cancer.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

2house2fly posted:

70 gets you the Hand Loader perk which unlocks better recipes and makes it more likely to recover casings (when you fire a round the casing will appear in your inventory some of the time so you can craft replacement rounds). You'd only need 25 repair to craft the basic ammo though.

get it to 90 and get jury rigging too imo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, cheating or modding to bring all 8 companions removes any threat from Caesar's tent. It's just a firing squad blowing apart everything in front of you.

You really only play like that to make the game easier for yourself.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Thanks.

I usually let the lottery winner go but I have the four eyes perk and I noticed he had glasses.

:kamina:

There's actually a pair of glasses in Doc Mitchell's house, on the desk you face while talking to him directly after waking up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, cheating or modding to bring all 8 companions removes any threat from Caesar's tent. It's just a firing squad blowing apart everything in front of you.

There's a certain appeal to the Legion having no choice under a decently armed squad's guns.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I do that and then crank IWS up to max spawns. Like not for difficulty but just because it's fun as gently caress. I wish the Robco mod didn't crash my game so much because I really wanted to just have an army of robots fighting hordes of ghouls.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've played a crazy amount of New Vegas as a guns dude pretty much exclusively and I've never needed to craft a single bullet, even when I had a shitload of difficulty mods and mods that lowered world loot by something huge like 95%. I had a massive stockpile of looted ammunition in like the first two hours. Am I some kind of looting savant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've played a crazy amount of New Vegas as a guns dude pretty much exclusively and I've never needed to craft a single bullet, even when I had a shitload of difficulty mods and mods that lowered world loot by something huge like 95%. I had a massive stockpile of looted ammunition in like the first two hours.

There are some pretty cool craftable ammo types though. Dragon's Breath and Coinshot shotgun shells come immediately to mind.