Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm looking for a good boxing game, PS4 or PC. I played the (latest?) Fight Night for the PS3 to death and want something like that. Ideally, I'd create a boxer and go through his career, but it's not required if the gameplay is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a good junk-food game for Windows. Something I can pick up and play for half an hour at a time and get my fix. Lowish system requirements so I can run it in a window while half watching livestream on the other monitor. Right now I have Binding of Isaac Afterbirth for this, and I feel I need to diversify for my own sake. Prior to Isaac, it was Spelunky HD.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Downwell.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a good boxing game, PS4 or PC. I played the (latest?) Fight Night for the PS3 to death and want something like that. Ideally, I'd create a boxer and go through his career, but it's not required if the gameplay is good.

Fight Night owns the genre, sadly, so I'll make some weird suggestions:

The UFC games are solid as hell and worth playing. More complicated than Fight Night or boxing in general, but really in depth create a fighter and career stuff.

There's a sport management type game called Punch Club that was really fun, you don't control your fighter in the fights, but you do his training regimen and decide his available attacks in a fight and stuff. Kinda like River City Ransom meets a Rocky movie... or something?

You ever played Greatest Heavyweights on Sega Genesis? To me, it's the best boxing game of all time, and essentially the blueprint for Fight Night. There's a decently robust create a boxer, and a really fantastic career mode w/stat training and whatnot.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Iznogood posted:

Just bought jets n guns and remember playing it years ago and having a blast. I love shmups but am pretty bad(no bullet hell for me!). I need a relaxed game full of upgrades like jets n guns. Google seems to think there is nothing. So I ask here! What could I play that's like that? I guess it could be some other type of games. I remember liking some flash game turbo tank or something? A tank that could jump. Simple fun crazy.

Does not need to be free.

Take a look at Luftrausers. I think it might be what you're looking for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Seconding Luftrausers, amazing game. The physics and controls are a bit different than any other SHMUP, but that's a good thing. Its a perfect little arcade "one more quarter" type experience. And the music is :krad:

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Agreeing with Luftrausers, although the game has a high score design where enemies get more and more difficult as time goes on and it can't really be beaten. Might be a downside for you, figured I'd mention it.

Also going to recommend Nuclear Throne. It's similar to Binding of Isaac, but feels more actiony I guess. Less like Zelda, more like a twin stick shooter.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fat Samurai posted:

If you ever find a good one for PC, please tell me.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

IMJack posted:

I'm looking for a good junk-food game for Windows. Something I can pick up and play for half an hour at a time and get my fix. Lowish system requirements so I can run it in a window while half watching livestream on the other monitor. Right now I have Binding of Isaac Afterbirth for this, and I feel I need to diversify for my own sake. Prior to Isaac, it was Spelunky HD.

In addition to the downwell recommendation I'll throw in house of dead ninjas and yet another nuclear throne recommendation.

NT is really just an all around great game and everyone should at least give it that free 119 minute steam demo.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Pipski posted:

Take a look at Luftrausers. I think it might be what you're looking for.

Added to wishlist! This one looks really fun.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

IMJack posted:

also throwing in a suggestion for both nuclear throne and luftrausers, i've played an insane amount of both of them

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Good recommendation for large scale modern warfare in an rts? I want to send battalions of tanks backed up by squads of bombers and battleships and poo poo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bob NewSCART posted:

Good recommendation for large scale modern warfare in an rts? I want to send battalions of tanks backed up by squads of bombers and battleships and poo poo

Wargame Red Dragon. On sale right now, be warned that it is actual modern warfare and not just "Tank, plane, bote." Very large scale, very pretty, very detailed, slightly spergy.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wargame Red Dragon. On sale right now, be warned that it is actual modern warfare and not just "Tank, plane, bote." Very large scale, very pretty, very detailed, slightly spergy.

What do you mean by "actual modern warfare"? It looks pretty cool

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

What do you mean by "actual modern warfare"? It looks pretty cool

Realism. They are tanks. They will perform like tanks. Fuel and supplies are necessary. AA lines must be maintained or else everything dies. Smoke matters, line of sight matters, troops will need to be placed in trucks before they can move anywhere at an appreciable pace.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is Red Dragon worth buying if I will probably never play online? I know PvP is pretty robust thanks to the game's complexity but I'm wondering if single player is worth the price.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I enjoy the campaign mode. Its okay. 20v20 multiplayer is pretty crazy fun though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone know of some good games where you can be the worst person ever? I already know about Undertale, Deception, and Planescape Torment.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone know of some good games where you can be the worst person ever? I already know about Undertale, Deception, and Planescape Torment.
Soul Nomad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer if you haven't played it. It gets visceral in similar ways to Torment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alabaster White posted:

Certain renegade options in the Mass Effect series range from petty jerk to History's Greatest Monster. At various points you can commit genocide, get your entire squad killed, sterilize another species, and murder several mission NPCs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oh poo poo yeah, I forgot about Soul Nomad. Excellent choice but unfortunately I already know about it.

e: I guess I should clarify I'm looking for games where you're so awful that you are effectively/literally the antagonist.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 26, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Alabaster White posted:

Oh poo poo yeah, I forgot about Soul Nomad. Excellent choice but unfortunately I already know about it.

e: I guess I should clarify I'm looking for games where you're so awful that you are effectively/literally the antagonist.

Final Fantasy Tactics.

Edit: non joke answers - Overlord, War for the Underworld

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Alabaster White posted:

Spec Ops: The Line

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Alabaster White posted:

Arcanum fully supports you being a full on genocidal maniac

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I checked out some videos of that rts recommended and it seems to be a bit too sim/realism based. Looking for something slightly more arcadey or less complex I guess? Doesn't seem like much has come in the genre in the past couple of years.
(Talking about war rts')

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

I checked out some videos of that rts recommended and it seems to be a bit too sim/realism based. Looking for something slightly more arcadey or less complex I guess? Doesn't seem like much has come in the genre in the past couple of years.
(Talking about war rts')

It's actually not as complex as it looks - there's a crazy amount of detail in the stats/simulation, but for the most part it all handles itself. The actual controls are super simple and the scale is such that you never have to micromanage too many units at once (the real big battles you can find videos of are multiple players per team - in those setups you generally just take your own guys and focus on a single objective point rather than trying to cover the whole front).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bob NewSCART posted:

(Talking about war rts')

Wargame is the only video game in my entire life that I've ever sat down and spent several minutes trying to play and I just couldn't figure it out.

its extremely obtuse and very complicated and deep. Its basically not an RTS, its a wargame simulator. Its not for most people and I would have warned you earlier if I had seen everybody suggesting it to you.

Its great for people who want that kind of simulation, but its not really a fun "RTS" for people who just want to play a traditional RTS.

So what you're looking for is basically Command & Conquer.

There haven't been a whole lot of RTS games in the last decade period, much less modern war ones. There's Starcraft 2 and... Company of Heroes 2 and... grey goo and...homeworld... that's about it.

Most are Sci-fi, some are fantasy, very few are modern.

Homeland, Grey Goo, both good but sci-fi, there's HD remakes of Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology, but those are historic/fantasy, I don't really know what to suggest for you dude.

I guess just go grab one of the older Command & Conquer games, maybe Generals?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's actually not as complex as it looks - there's a crazy amount of detail in the stats/simulation, but for the most part it all handles itself. The actual controls are super simple and the scale is such that you never have to micromanage too many units at once (the real big battles you can find videos of are multiple players per team - in those setups you generally just take your own guys and focus on a single objective point rather than trying to cover the whole front).

Don't listen to him Bob! ;)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Alabaster White posted:

Saints Row 2!

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

I'm looking for a bunch of good music/rhythm games. I recall playing a PS2 and Xbox live arcade game where you started out as an orb and attacked and hacked into the core as you progressed through levels and as you leveled up you would turn from an orb into a robot/human, anyone know what it's called and have some suggestions for other cool games?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know but you should play Crypt of the Necrodancer.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rakins posted:

I'm looking for a bunch of good music/rhythm games. I recall playing a PS2 and Xbox live arcade game where you started out as an orb and attacked and hacked into the core as you progressed through levels and as you leveled up you would turn from an orb into a robot/human, anyone know what it's called and have some suggestions for other cool games?

What's your budget? Pretty much every cool rhythm game has its own nifty controller

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zaphod42 posted:

There haven't been a whole lot of RTS games in the last decade period, much less modern war ones. There's Starcraft 2 and... Company of Heroes 2 and... grey goo and...homeworld... that's about it.

Homeland, Grey Goo, both good but sci-fi, there's HD remakes of Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology, but those are historic/fantasy, I don't really know what to suggest for you dude.

World in Conflict might be a good choice...just one problem: you can't buy it on Steam anymore, and I don't know if other sites still have it available in some form.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

John Murdoch posted:

World in Conflict might be a good choice...just one problem: you can't buy it on Steam anymore, and I don't know if other sites still have it available in some form.

https://www.gog.com/game/world_in_conflict_complete_edition

It's also on Steam.

And I have an oddball request. I have some nostalgia for the Atari 2600, as it was my main TV console till I got an N64 in 1998.

Are there any Atari 2600 games or game hacks that make relaxing ocean sounds, wind blowing, etc. with maybe a sunset in the background? I just love the noise of a 2600. For example, the idle helicopter sound from Chopper Command.

edit: Also, recommend a good and relaxing Game Boy/Color, NES, or SNES golf game.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 27, 2016

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

John Murdoch posted:

there's also act of aggression on steam which is a successor to an older game called act of war, but i havent played it so i cant vouch for it at all

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

WiC looks pretty good, but I guess it doesn't really matter wether or not it's modern warfare. I've played sc2 but I don't really like it, homeworld and grey goo are good too?

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

signalnoise posted:

What's your budget? Pretty much every cool rhythm game has its own nifty controller

Willing to shell out whatever, really like the genre want a good collection of them. Finally got back into gaming after a 4 year hiatus I was really rusty.

Also looking to rebuild my MAME cabinet t. So looking for arcade suggestions too. I loving love metal slug and galaga so what are some good Galaga like games with kickass grahics. I grabbed the metal slug collection for PC already. I've got a killer rig with a R9 furry that just sat for like 6 months need to put this thing to use. Also have a fight stick and really want a soulcalibur game.

Also been really enjoying Black Ops 3 zombies I absolutely love the noire style. I've got a PS4 and PS3 if anyone wants to throw some suggestions for anything I missed out on.

Rakins fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 27, 2016

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Zaphod42 posted:

So what you're looking for is basically Command & Conquer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427250/

dumb name, pretty cool game

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Rakins posted:

The game you're thinking of is REZ, and everyone who likes rhythm games / trippy experiences should give it a try. It was released for PS2 and Dreamcast, and is sort of famous because in Japan you could buy a "trance vibrator" that pulsed to the in-game music :heysexy:

Andante fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I just got an Xbone and haven't really been following the new releases. What might I have missed? I plan on getting Fallout 4 and Shadow of Mordor, I'm not really into FPS or racing games. I played and liked the Dragon Age series, would I like Witcher 3?