Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

Sanders makes Clinton look weaker by staying in the race in much the same way as Ben Carson weakened Trump by staying in. The Clinton campaign already can turn their entire attention towards Trump because she's won. I like Sanders and it would be preferable if he can pressure Clinton into adding some of his popular leftwing policies into her campaign but she doesn't have to.

Unless Clinton actually does get indicted of course, and then imo Trump wins on a campaign of "Bernie couldnt even win his own primary and the main hope of the democrats just got done by the feds,"

By being in the race however he shows the support for his ideas, and Clinton, like Trump, does not have to win only the primary, she has to win the base in the election too, so his being in splits the base support for the moment and makes Clinton's policies look weaker with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Stop staring into the Abyss, UKMT.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty much. Some people are not picking Hillary over Trump in head-to-heads because they are Bernie supporters and don't want to boost her numbers high enough for talking heads to go "see, she's more electable - don't vote Bernie" - by pretending they wouldn't vote for her in the general they're artificially inflating Bernie's popularity.

Of course, Hillary supporters are most likely doing the same thing to Bernie.

And up until Trump won his primary Republicans were doing the same little game about any of the higher-percentage GOPs.

Basically while it's a bad smell, the canary is still fine for the moment.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the whole point of the canary is to protect you from things you cant smell!!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The most mind boggling poll I saw so far was showing that trump had over 20%.support amongst Latinos

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Phoon posted:

the whole point of the canary is to protect you from things you cant smell!!

Exactly. What we're smelling is someone's fart. We don't need to flee yet. :colbert:

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

haakman posted:

I've been doing some reading up on Trump. Yes, to us he looks like a boastful idiotic demagogue.

The man is a great, great salesman. Constantly asking people to think 'beyond the sale'. I'm not even sure what his policies are because at the moment, during the primary, his whole goal was to win (get the sale). Now he's selling, but to a different audience. Scott Adams wrote some great articles about this, even if the provenance of the source can be questionable at times.

Suffice to say, if Hillary gets the nomination, given all the crazy stuff going on with her e-mails, Trump - given how he already proved his ability to deal with opponents - is basically going to be running unopposed. She is utterly, utterly toxic. This is terrifying, but not because he is a crazy right wing lunatic (the guy was a Democrat - though that doesn't say much) but because I literally have not one loving iota of an idea as to what his presidential campaign is going to be like.

Also, for the avoidance of doubt, GFY Hillary Clinton.

possibly the worst analysis i've ever seen

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Having followed the primaries since like June of last year I've seen much worse.

That said, I'm happy to tell haakman they're wrong. :kiddo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Back to UK topics, I'm starting to miss the days when you could expect Daily Sport calendars in site offices rather than the Daily Mail Royle Babby calendar set.

It's political correctness gone mad.

(Really there's a lot of things I'd prefer to either. Most things except maybe "customs of the peoples of the world, annotated by Nigel Farage".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got my mum a naked farmer calendar which is pretty good.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
At least 5 people I know have the Warwick Uni naked rowers one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Julio Cruz posted:

At least 5 people I know have the Warwick Uni naked rowers one.

They're poo poo at the sport in case you wondered

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They're poo poo at the sport in case you wondered

Are they a bit common?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Are they a bit urban?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pissflaps posted:

Are they a bit common?

The two aren't correlated afaik so you can't really tell from results alone

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The two aren't correlated afaik so you can't really tell from results alone

Do Oxford and Cambridge have rowing clubs that perform well competitively?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
pissflaps can i please have the full list of sports that working class people aren't allowed to do, i want to make sure that i'm not being a class traitor

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Back to UK topics, I'm starting to miss the days when you could expect Daily Sport calendars in site offices rather than the Daily Mail Royle Babby calendar set.

It's political correctness gone mad.

(Really there's a lot of things I'd prefer to either. Most things except maybe "customs of the peoples of the world, annotated by Nigel Farage".

People still buy calendars?
It's like wrist watches, when you have a mobile why bother.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
http://www.itpro.co.uk/public-sector/26637/another-1000-innocent-people-listed-in-biometrics-database

quote:

A correction has been published by the government, explaining that 53 per cent of the 9,600 individuals on counter-terrorism databases have never been convicted of a crime. The original report said 53 per cent of 7,800 people were innocent.

The number of people on the databases is kind of irrelevant though, what really gets me is that none have ever been convicted of any crime at all. Like, anything, ever. I swear, the only reason there hasn't been legal action is because, naturally, the names of the people on the database are secret. It's a blatant violation of human rights, surely?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
my mum does, but she's old and is probably used to writing things on a calendar instead of putting a reminder on her phone

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because faffing around with my phone is harder than just grabbing a pencil and scribbling illegibly. Also the calendar is always visible.

I may have grown up with them but computers just aren't a good substitute for having a bit of paper with stuff written on it stuck somewhere visible.

Also not good for taking notes on.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

IceAgeComing posted:

pissflaps can i please have the full list of sports that working class people aren't allowed to do, i want to make sure that i'm not being a class traitor

When have I said working class people aren't allowed to row?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

schadenfraud posted:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/public-sector/26637/another-1000-innocent-people-listed-in-biometrics-database

The number of people on the databases is kind of irrelevant though, what really gets me is that none have ever been convicted of any crime at all. Like, anything, ever. I swear, the only reason there hasn't been legal action is because, naturally, the names of the people on the database are secret. It's a blatant violation of human rights, surely?

Hahahaha I love that. "The government do not wish to imply that merely not being convicted of a crime is an indicator of innocence."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/didsbury-costa-coffee-terror-attack-11394396#ICID=FB-MEN-main

A man broke his arm DIVING out a coffee shop’s first floor window after mistaking schoolchildren shouting and banging trays for a terror attack.

The man was among many customers thrown into panic at Costa Coffee in Didsbury village during the disturbance on Wednesday afternoon.

People sitting on the first floor of the cafe are reported to have ‘freaked out’ when they heard shouting and several ‘gunshot-like’ bangs.

Eye witnesses said the man, believing the premises to be under siege, clambered out of one the front windows head-first before running to a nearby bank to call for help.

Other customers upstairs said they, too, thought they were under attack.

One lady at Costa said customers thought an attack was happening

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

happyhippy posted:

Because it's a cheap way to back-up important appointments, especially when you regularly forget where the gently caress your phone is or haven't bothered to charge the bloody thing for a week.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol loving hell, how embarrassing to jump out of a window because you're scared of children

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

happyhippy posted:

Watches feel nice on my wrist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Watches look smarter than pulling out your phone and gawking at it like a tit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

I still wear a wrist watch because it's a lot quicker to check the time than pulling a phone out of my pocket. I don't have a paper calendar.

They're pretty much an expected feature of workshops and site offices though, because you can scribble 'Closed' or 'Tom on hols' and a couple of arrows a lot faster than you can log into the team enabled shared Google calendar and tap in a note.

And it's expected for them to be from a newspaper or one of the suppliers, just not the Daily Mail and not Royle Babby.

Jippa posted:

A man broke his arm DIVING out a coffee shop’s first floor window after mistaking schoolchildren shouting and banging trays for a terror attack.

The man was among many customers thrown into panic at Costa Coffee in Didsbury village during the disturbance on Wednesday afternoon.
Is Didsbury really busy enough/close enough to Manchester for them to bother?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Luddites! All of you!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will stop using a calendar when I am booj enough to have a tablet bolted to my wall devoted entirely to being a calendar.

Otherwise I will spend a fiver to get some naked men and some paper nailed to the wall.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sometimes I pull out my phone and check the time on it, then remember that my watch does that too and check that. Just in case.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

I shouldn't think so.

You have too much faith in the public.

El Scotch posted:

Stop staring into the Abyss, UKMT.

Maybe I would if it wasn't following me everywhere.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Labour need to get back into the media savvy game and start calling them the workhouse party.

Work and a house!? Sign me the gently caress up to the tory party

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Is Didsbury really busy enough/close enough to Manchester for them to bother?

I can tell from this comment that you haven't seen the following "news" "story": Police officers in rural areas fear they would be "sitting ducks" in the event of a terrorist gun attack in the UK.

I for one don't believe a word of it, as it's well known that everyone and their mum's packing out in the countryside (a moot point anyway because like you say, what is there to bomb out there? The article seems to think the answer is heavy industry (fair play to the terrorists if they can find any left) and nuclear power plants, which it mentions are specifically guarded by armed officials but then does some wordplay to pretend they're not)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 27, 2016

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Didsbury is hardly rural, it's the suburbs where students used to live in dingy flats. Now it's the domain of wine bars, hotels, restaurants, young executives and posho's due to fast internet and quick transport in and out of the city centre.

It's also exactly the kind of place where people would cower in terror at the sound of children playing.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

From the Guardian, noted left-wing revolutionaries the IMF proclaim that austerity policies do more harm than good.

quote:

Austerity policies do more harm than good, IMF study concludes

Economists give strong critique of neoliberal doctrine ushered in by Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s

A strong warning that austerity policies can do more harm than good has been delivered by economists from the International Monetary Fund, in a critique of the neoliberal doctrine that has dominated economics for the past three decades. In an article seized on by the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, the IMF economists said rising inequality was bad for growth and that governments should use controls to cope with destabilising capital flows.

The IMF team praised some aspects of the liberalising agenda that was ushered in by Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher in the 1980s, such as the expansion of trade and the increase in foreign direct investment. But it said other aspects of the programme had not delivered the expected improvements in economic performance. Looking specifically at removing barriers to flows of capital and plans to strengthen the public finances, the three IMF economists came up with conclusions that contradicted neoliberal theory.

“The benefits in terms of increased growth seem fairly difficult to establish when looking at a broad group of countries,” they said. “The costs in terms of increased inequality are prominent. Such costs epitomise the trade-off between the growth and equity effects of some aspects of the neoliberal agenda.­

“Increased inequality in turn hurts the level and sustainability of growth. Even if growth is the sole or main purpose of the neoliberal agenda, advocates of that agenda still need to pay attention to the distributional effects.­”
The UK chancellor, George Osborne, announced austerity plans when he took over at the Treasury in May 2010, in an effort to tackle Britain’s record peacetime budget deficit and rising national debt . But his view that paying off the debt accumulated during the deep slump of 2008-09 was vital for the economy’s long-term growth prospects was challenged by the IMF.

Osborne said his austerity programme would give the government more flexibility in the event of a future crisis, but the IMF said taking out this sort of insurance policy would only be worth it if the benefits exceeded the costs.

“It turns out, however, that the cost could be large – much larger than the benefit. The reason is that, to get to a lower debt level, taxes that distort economic behaviour need to be raised temporarily or productive spending needs to be cut – or both. The costs of the tax increases or expenditure cuts required to bring down the debt may be much larger than the reduced crisis risk engendered by the lower debt.”

The economists rejected the notion that austerity could be good for growth by boosting the confidence of the private sector to invest. It said that in practice, “episodes of fiscal consolidation have been followed, on average, by drops rather than by expansions in output. On average, a consolidation of 1% of GDP increases the long-term unemployment rate by 0.6 percentage points.”

McDonnell said: “The International Monetary Fund has summarised what a growing consensus among economists across the globe now think, that Osborne-style austerity economics increases inequality and instability, and undermines growth.

“It’s time for the chancellor to listen to the experts, change course and put an end to his failed policy of austerity with a solid commitment by government to deliver an industrial strategy backed up by patient investment to create the high-tech, high-wage economy of the future.”

The three IMF research department economists – Jonathan Ostry, Prakash Loungani and Davide Furceri – said the benefits of some important parts of the neoliberal agenda appeared to have been overplayed, while the risks from short-term flows of hot money in and out of countries loomed large.

“In the case of fiscal consolidation, the short-run costs in terms of lower output and welfare and higher unemployment have been underplayed, and the desirability for countries with ample fiscal space of simply living with high debt and allowing debt ratios to decline organically through growth is underappreciated.”

They concluded that the increase in inequality threatened to be self-defeating. “The increase in inequality engendered by financial openness and austerity might itself undercut growth, the very thing that the neoliberal agenda is intent on boosting. There is now strong evidence that inequality can significantly lower both the level and the durability of growth.”

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I buy local calendars because they have really nice scenes of the valleys and farming towns :) my mum just buys anything with dogs on it, we have six calendars throughout the house.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Niric posted:

From the Guardian, noted left-wing revolutionaries the IMF proclaim that austerity policies do more harm than good.

Im astonished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I swear that news breaks every year or so and nobody in the media really bothers with it.

• Locked thread