Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

lol if you don't buy bbq shredding claws just because they're metal as hell

This is all I'm asking for. Decent insulated gloves with a non-cloth surface, that I can use for pulling bones out of hot meat, among other things.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a certain set of gloves they prefer, since Amazon has a bunch with 5-star reviews but a lot of them only have like 2-4 reviews total.

I use a pair of these. They are not real thick so if you are pulling a lot of meat you may have to stop and let them cool off a minute. But for under :10bux: they are great.

edit: vvvvvv Those are what I meant to link in my post and somehow forgot to include the link...

Trastion fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lol if you don't buy bbq shredding claws just because they're metal as hell

This is all I'm asking for. Decent insulated gloves with a non-cloth surface, that I can use for pulling bones out of hot meat, among other things.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a certain set of gloves they prefer, since Amazon has a bunch with 5-star reviews but a lot of them only have like 2-4 reviews total.

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Insulated/dp/B0007ZGURK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

those were goon recommended like 2 years ago.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

those look like something Dexter would wear when he is about to murder you lol.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This was one of the sets I looked at first, but the reviews mention they're too slick and aren't easy to clean.

I also found these, which have some cloth and cost a little more, but have much better reviews and higher heat resistance. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B4H02W8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KXI6D8VLQ7YQ

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you want them nonslick as you're using them to directly handle the meat? Their sole purpose is handling that and that only. The ones you linked would be good for handling a steel or cast iron on the grill.

/e- Look at the orange pair if you want something textured, but you will not want cloth for handling the food directly, pretty gross. The only review I see mentioning that they're hard to clean is throwing them in the wash when you should be able to clean with water + soap only...

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 27, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Wookums posted:

Do you want them nonslick as you're using them to directly handle the meat? Their sole purpose is handling that and that only. The ones you linked would be good for handling a steel or cast iron on the grill.

/e- Look at the orange pair if you want something textured, but you will not want cloth for handling the food directly, pretty gross. The only review I see mentioning that they're hard to clean is throwing them in the wash when you should be able to clean with water + soap only...

So get the orange pair of the Raichlen gloves, then?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It seems to be more of what you want, but there are likely better silicone gloves.

/e- The question is do you want a multipurpose glove or something that will help preserve the integrity of your bark.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 27, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

This was one of the sets I looked at first, but the reviews mention they're too slick and aren't easy to clean.

I also found these, which have some cloth and cost a little more, but have much better reviews and higher heat resistance. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B4H02W8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KXI6D8VLQ7YQ

I have a similar but generic pair that I bought from my grocery store that work great, but how could these possibly be hard to clean? You have them on, and you literally just wash your hands.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Well I still need something to pull the bone out with.

If it takes effort you are doing something wrong.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
These are the best because not only can you pull pork wearing them and not feel any of the heat, they're also great for getting things off the grill or rotating racks of ribs or any other number of at-the-grill manipulations. You're not a robot, why would to try to flip racks of ribs using pairs of metal tongs when you've got perfectly good dexterous mammalgrips? Also you don't have to worry about ribs breaking apart as you pick them up off the grill with tongs because when slightly overcooked them or something. Sure, Bear Claws are really cool but they just shred pork. I even use these as hot mitts to pull boiling stuff off my gas stove, because unlike the cloth mitts, these won't turn into boiling hot deathmittens if you spill boiling water all over them.

On Amazon they are often on sale for under $10. EDIT: And to wash them I just keep them on and wash my hands with Dawn soap.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My cold smoker attachment came in, and so weather permitting I'm going to spend tomorrow smoking eggs, mayonnaise, and potatoes, possibly not in that order.

I can't sleep right now I'm so excited. :dance:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Question for people who have the Masterbuilt cold smoking attachment: Soaked wood chips, or unsoaked? The instructions say to use unsoaked, but I feel like unsoaked wouldn't produce very much smoke.

RadioDan
Oct 30, 2005

I would totally take her violently from behind, leaving her a raw and bloody mess before going home to chillax with an icey cold coke
Did my first ever smoke today. I followed some sage advice given to me and went with chicken first time, as its fairly cheap, so if I hosed it all up then its only a little bit of chicken, rather than €25 o r more's worth of pork. Really enjoyed the whole experience, as did my 7 year old daughter who was reading a book while helping me check on the meat. It took about 4 hours in the smoker in total, with heat mostly at 120 c (250f, I think).

The chicken its self came out really nicely, not too dry, but nicely cooked through. I'd put on a store bought rub that my daughter picked out (hence her interest in the rest of the process, I guess) and left it over night to try and get the taste in there, but I didn't find it had imparted too much flavour below the skin its self. Is this normal for chicken? Should I have cooked it lower for longer? Just wondering if its just a thing with it being "just chicken" and to maybe lower expectations for next time.

Also, I was using this to cook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoker-XL-Smoking-thermometer-Shipping/dp/B011OLD2YE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464564332&sr=8-1&keywords=XL+smoker
It was a gift from my wife and seemed to work OK (to my incredibly untrained eyes). I am kind of hoping to upscale at some point in the near future once she is totally won over to the idea. I think the chicken has helped with this, and after a few more trail chicken runs I plan to try it with some pork.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Question for people who have the Masterbuilt cold smoking attachment: Soaked wood chips, or unsoaked? The instructions say to use unsoaked, but I feel like unsoaked wouldn't produce very much smoke.

I don't have the grill/attachment you're talking about, but just as a general comment: soaking chips does nothing but produce steam and maybe cool down the surrounding coals. By the time your chips are heated enough to give you the smoke you want, all the water has evaporated.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

RadioDan posted:

The chicken its self came out really nicely, not too dry, but nicely cooked through. I'd put on a store bought rub that my daughter picked out (hence her interest in the rest of the process, I guess) and left it over night to try and get the taste in there, but I didn't find it had imparted too much flavour below the skin its self. Is this normal for chicken? Should I have cooked it lower for longer? Just wondering if its just a thing with it being "just chicken" and to maybe lower expectations for next time.

Skin is designed to keep stuff out, so not much will penetrate it. Put some salt and/or rub under the skin if you want the flavor in the meat.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just take the skin off imo, smoked chicken skin is gross. Bone in chicken thighs with the skin removed is the way to go for me. Usually have to remove it manually though as I can never find bone-in skinless thighs at the store.

In other news: ribs tomorrow get hype.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ended up not getting to do any smoking today (although I still might before bed), but tomorrow I'm doing a Boston butt for pulled pork with vinegar sauce and some jalapeno poppers. Gonna be a good Memorial Day! :getin:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Smoking four baby back racks and grinding a few pounds of sausage tomorrow, salute are troops. :911:

RadioDan
Oct 30, 2005

I would totally take her violently from behind, leaving her a raw and bloody mess before going home to chillax with an icey cold coke

Dead Of Winter posted:

Skin is designed to keep stuff out, so not much will penetrate it. Put some salt and/or rub under the skin if you want the flavor in the meat.

Ah fantastic, thanks so much!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Did my first Port Shoulder yesterday. Woke up at 4:30 to get it on the smoker around 5. Dry brined it the nite before and just before cooking added some pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, brown sugar and powered garlic. The temp was a bit of a pain, all the dampers on my WSM were closed and I was still cruising along at 275. I ended up taking off the access door and using some AL foil as a crude gasket and then had some control with the dampers. Anyway, after 11 hrs it was about 193 internal and fell to pieces. Neighbors helped me eat it and it got rave reviews all around.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My pork didn't go on the smoker until around 2:00 PM, so it likely won't be ready until tonight. The jalapeno poppers went in with the pork and finished hours ago. I ate them as a late lunch and they were delicious.

I went ahead and got some fast food for dinner. Not exactly an ideal Memorial Day meal, but at least I still get to smoke something.

I'm really loving this Masterbuilt side smoking box so far! It doesn't necessarily have the set-and-forget capability of the AMNPS, since it needs to be reloaded with wood periodically, but that was never something I cared about anyway. It's a lot easier to use than the AMNPS, it's easier to buy fuel for, and it's more apartment-friendly since the heating element is electric (the AMNPS requires lighting pellets with a lighter, which I'm not technically allowed to have). Plus, unlike the AMNPS, I don't have to scrub the smoking box in the sink after every use to keep ashes from getting everywhere when I bring it inside. My only real issue is that it's kind of annoying to add chips to, because the hole they go into is a little small, but apart from that it's great. Overall 9.5/10 should've bought sooner and would highly recommend!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Smoked my first batch of jerky today!

Came out pretty drat good methinks. I started with four pounds of top round and sliced it kinda thick (a bit more than a quarter inch). I then prepped the brine and let it soak 12 hours. This was made of:
  • 4 cups soy sauce
  • 2 coups blackstrap molasses
  • 1 cup Jim Beam
  • 3 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • a couple shakes of red pepper flakes

I used hickory chips and to cook the meat I started at 185 for 2 hours. I then lowered it to 150 for about 4-4.5 hours and that's the result above! I didn't use a water pan and I kept the vent wide open to try and maximize dryness in spite of how awfully humid it is. I sliced the meat diagonal to the grain as much I could so it's not super chewy but it doens't just crumble either.

I'm excited to try and start experimenting with other flavors and such but I'm really happy with the result.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Yodzilla posted:

Came out pretty drat good methinks. I started with four pounds of top round and sliced it kinda thick (a bit more than a quarter inch). I then prepped the brine and let it soak 12 hours. This was made of:
  • 4 cups soy sauce
  • 1 cup Jim Beam
  • 3 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder

I used hickory chips and to cook the meat I started at 185 for 2 hours. I then lowered it to 150 for about 4-4.5 hours and that's the result above! I didn't use a water pan and I kept the vent wide open to try and maximize dryness in spite of how awfully humid it is. I sliced the meat diagonal to the grain as much I could so it's not super chewy but it doens't just crumble either.

I'm excited to try and start experimenting with other flavors and such but I'm really happy with the result.

Is this your first time making jerky? I've never done it but it's one of my favorite snack foods and I want to make it. I'm going to try this.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yodzilla posted:

• 4 cups soy sauce
  • 1 cup Jim Beam
  • 3 tbsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder

Oh man that looks delicious. I need to try smoking some jerky some time in the near future.

Pro Tip: Beef milanesa cuts, if your store sells them, are perfect for jerky making. They're super lean with almost no fat, and they're sliced thin.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, why didn't you add salt to the brine? That's one of the key things that makes brine brine.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 31, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is this your first time making jerky? I've never done it but it's one of my favorite snack foods and I want to make it. I'm going to try this.

Yep first time! Was really easy and I'm super happy with the results. Since this isn't a dehydrated jerky I'm keeping it in ziplock bags in the fridge instead of just sitting out FYI.

Pro Tip: Beef milanesa cuts, if your store sells them, are perfect for jerky making. They're super lean with almost no fat, and they're sliced thin.

Oh interesting, I'm not familiar with that. I've got a couple of Mexican butchers near me, I wonder if they'd have it.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, why didn't you add salt to the brine? That's one of the key things that makes brine brine.

Brine was a poor choice of words, I should have just said marinade.

e: I probably could have gone a little bolder with the spices honestly. I didn't want to make anything super hot the first time out and it's not bland by any means but I like a good deal of spice. Some people will pepper or otherwise dry-rub the jerky either instead of using a marinade or sprinkle it on before putting it in the smoker

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Did you only smoke them or did you do anything else afterwards? Like put them in a dehydrator or anything?

Looks rockin.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Regardless of how this was prepared... a cup of soy sauce (unless it was low sodium?) per pound of meat sounds like plenty of salt.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My pork has been on the smoker at 225 for about 9 hours. The temperature probe is only showing 169 right now, and it's been climbing slower over the last couple of hours. Is it possible I may have put the probe in a bad spot? Like maybe a little too close to the bone?

I'm wondering if I should pull the pork out soon. It's a 7.7 lb piece of meat, but 10 hours is a little long. A 7 lb pork butt should only take about 8 hours at 225 to reach an internal temp of 200 if my math is right, so mine seems like it shouldn't be taking as long as it is.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

My pork has been on the smoker at 225 for about 9 hours. The temperature probe is only showing 169 right now, and it's been climbing slower over the last couple of hours. Is it possible I may have put the probe in a bad spot? Like maybe a little too close to the bone?

I'm wondering if I should pull the pork out soon. It's a 7.7 lb piece of meat, but 10 hours is a little long. A 7 lb pork butt should only take about 8 hours at 225 to reach an internal temp of 200 if my math is right, so mine seems like it shouldn't be taking as long as it is.

This is called the stall, the only way to deal with it is to

Vulture Culture posted:

just loving leave it alone.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I budget 90 minutes/lb at 250, so I think you underestimated a little bit. I'd take it out, wrap it with a bit of apple juice at the bottom, and put it in a 260 oven in order to finish at a decent hour.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I kinda lied. I actually upped the temperature to 250 about 3 hours ago. It's getting hotter now finally.

I think my mistake was underestimating the length of the stall on a pork shoulder. Also putting it on at 2 in the afternoon.

coronaball posted:

I budget 90 minutes/lb at 250, so I think you underestimated a little bit. I'd take it out, wrap it with a bit of apple juice at the bottom, and put it in a 260 oven in order to finish at a decent hour.

At this point, I'm gonna leave it on until it passes 190 and then take it out. I probably won't go to bed until after 2 AM but I wanna finish this right.

EDIT: gently caress I still gotta make the vinegar sauce. :doh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah your math isn't close. That's a 12 hour smoke at least especially at 225 vs 250-260.

Each piece is different as well

Why did you start at 2pm though?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sellouts posted:

Yeah your math isn't close. That's a 12 hour smoke at least especially at 225 vs 250-260.

Each piece is different as well

Why did you start at 2pm though?

I didn't wake up until 1.

I haven't been getting the best sleep lately.

Anywho, pork is done now and it's delicious. I ended up having to handle it without gloves though because the ones I ordered that were supposed to be delivered in time weren't.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Paper With Lines posted:

Did you only smoke them or did you do anything else afterwards? Like put them in a dehydrator or anything?

Looks rockin.

Nope! Just let it cool and then put them in ziplock bags and into the fridge. I don't have a dehydrator but using the smoker seems like a perfectly viable alternative.

Once cooked, the drying process for the meat is really a combination of:
- a long smoke at a really low temperature (5+ hours at 150)
- opening the smoker vent all the way
- not putting water in the pan

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Sniep posted:

Done a cpl hours ago - but perfect like last time. Love this Traeger.

2 Hours on "Smoke" at about 150°F then and hour at 180°F to finish cooking and good to go! 142°F at thickest parts on both big pieces.

Turned out great without the skins, too, it actually dripped a lot into the trays and I think I'll pre-skin salmon moving forward if it isn't already done before smoking.

Nice! Salmon is by far the thing we've done the most in our smoker. We buy giant filets from BJs and then dry-brine them overnight. We based what we do off of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8au0YcONM

So our salmon recipe is:
  • create a dry-brine that's 4 parts dark brown sugar, 1 part kosher salt, and pepper to taste
  • wash and cut the salmon into serving portions or decent sized pieces
  • COMPLETELY SMOTHER the salmon in the dry-brine. This means making a bed of it in whatever tray you're using and then also completely covering each piece. Get it on the sides in between pieces too. No salmon showing!
  • wrap your bringing salmon in cellophane and let it sit overnight or at least 12 hours in the fridge
  • once brined your salmon should have turned darker and become much firmer and you'll see the sugar and salt has turned into a wet sludge from the drawn out water
  • wash off the salmon completely in COLD water and let it sit out 1 - 2 hours before smoking
  • smoke at 220 for 2 hours with a sweet wood like apple or cherry
And that's it! It's super easy and the fish lasts over a week as long as you seal them up so it's great for a quick meal or on salads. I've done the low and slow method with salmon before but there's some we kind of like about doing the quick, hot smoke because it kinda caramelizes the fish and the skinny pieces come out almost like jerky. Everyone loves that!

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 7, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Pictures will be added once I figure out imgur on the iPad.
Fired up the WSM at 9pm Saturday. The small piece on top was done around 7am and I woke my wife up with a big bark piece. Increased the heat from ~225f to ~270f. Big shoulders came off around 10:30am Sunday at ~201f and went straight into a foil wrap and straight into the cooler, wrapped in hot towels. The first shoulder was gone by the time I thought to take pictures but the second I was able to grab a shot before being sent with guests and frozen for future snacking. loving delicious.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 31, 2016

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Edit: ^^^ Your images are broken

Yesterdays ribs went well. I did them completely uncovered for the first time ever, they turned out a little dry on the outside, but the inside was still moist and delicious. Maybe I'll wrap them again.

Half way point. I started spritzing with Apple Cider Vinegar and putting some more rub on when I swap racks, that's what the little powder stuff is you see on the outside.

Finished

Moneyshot.

These were really good, not the best I've ever made, but the bark had a really nice flavor, despite being slightly dry like I said earlier. I think I did actually overcook them a little, as they didn't really cut cleanly and the bones were extremely easy to pull out. They weren't passing the bend test and so I figured they had longer to go. At the 5 1/2 hour mark, they still wouldn't bend, but the pull test removed a bone compeltely lol. I've never had that happen before. Maybe because they were babybacks I don't know. Either way, success! Everyone was happy. Good times for all.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hey guys, longtime lurker first time smoker.

I got a char-griller kamado yesterday, ostensibly for my dad's birthday :v: It's insane, last night I got it to 600 degrees with the vents wide open grilling hotdogs just to test it out and get a feel for it.

Today, I'm smoking a 5.9 lb flat cut brisket. I started at 11:40 am, with the grill holding steady at 225 or so. after 2 hours, the meat's internal temperature was 170, so I wrapped it in foil to preserve the juices. I added more wet chips and shut the vents from 1/2" to 1/4" top & bottom, after another hour the meat temperature is 190 with an air temp of 300.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need the top more open to vent the heat, or what? Should I shut the bottom vent entirely? I looked in the charcoal area, not all the coals are even lit right now and it's putting out heat like a champ.

E: Right now I have a sliver of bottom vent open, and the top vent like 1/2-3/4", and the temp seems to be going down.

E2: elapsed time 4 hours. final internal temp 200-205, grill air temp 325 with bottom vent shut, top vent 3/4". Cooked through, moist, but hardly any smoke ring. Going to let it rest until dinner. Very disappointing first effort :negative:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 1, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bottom is the main control for temp, top is for fine tuning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

Hey guys, longtime lurker first time smoker.

I got a char-griller kamado yesterday, ostensibly for my dad's birthday :v: It's insane, last night I got it to 600 degrees with the vents wide open grilling hotdogs just to test it out and get a feel for it.

Today, I'm smoking a 5.9 lb flat cut brisket. I started at 11:40 am, with the grill holding steady at 225 or so. after 2 hours, the meat's internal temperature was 170, so I wrapped it in foil to preserve the juices. I added more wet chips and shut the vents from 1/2" to 1/4" top & bottom, after another hour the meat temperature is 190 with an air temp of 300.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need the top more open to vent the heat, or what? Should I shut the bottom vent entirely? I looked in the charcoal area, not all the coals are even lit right now and it's putting out heat like a champ.

E: Right now I have a sliver of bottom vent open, and the top vent like 1/2-3/4", and the temp seems to be going down.

I have that exact model. To keep mine at 225 (at the grate, not the lid temp which will be lower than that) I have the bottom closed far enough that you can't even see a sliver, the edge of the sliding thing actually just overlaps or is even with the edge of the opening, and the top with maybe a ¼ inch opening. Like that I can hold it at 225 for hours on end, and it uses almost no fuel. It's important that as soon as you dump your coals that you start closing that bottom vent. If I'm shooting for 225, I start with it half closed, and close it halfway every 25 degrees. By the time it's 200 I just want to see a sliver, and then tighten it down from there as it approaches 225. Because of the way it traps heat, overshooting your temp will take a long time to correct.

Also (because I can't tell if you are) I wouldn't rely on the built in thermometer, in my experience it will always be 25-50 degrees lower than your grate temp.