Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

How come nobody told me Hardcore mode owns this much. This fixes like all of the problems I have with the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Because hardcore mode is dumb.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Concordat posted:

Because hardcore mode is dumb.

:saddowns:

It's been a nice break from the usual. I can probably get sick of it, though.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Classic Mode was the best of both worlds but no one runs it in NA anymore.

Kaustik fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 23, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've been digging hardcore because it's less twitchy than the normal mode, and it's kind of nice having less crap on the screen.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hardcore seems nice except the "1 bulet k ills u its so hjardcore!!!!!!!" thing.

Does basically everyone use FLIR in hardcore?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Node posted:

Hardcore seems nice except the "1 bulet k ills u its so hjardcore!!!!!!!" thing.

Does basically everyone use FLIR in hardcore?

Doesn't seem like it. I noticed I have a lot more survivability in certain situations. Players actually miss at range when there are no extra visuals like hit confirm markers or spotting tags. Without minimap, I notice less psychics running in circles shooting people in the back

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Concordat posted:

My favorite gun in any Battlefield thus far, was the VSS Vintorez in BC2, which stat-wise was that game's G3 with a higher rate of fire, a suppressor, lower recoil, faster reload (if you canceled the animation), and a free scope.
The greatest thing about it was that the only people I ever saw using it mistakenly thought it was a sniper rifle and would just sit around with the scope in their face, so it was like I had my own secret OP primary weapon that would never get nerfed because no one used it properly.

I guess I should check out the ACE 52 then.

I loved how magnum ammo and body armor did nothing to the VSS's already outstanding TTK, it let you bring more C4, ammo or sprint speed instead.

The best part about the VSS in BC2 was that it still counted as a sniper rifle. If someone was tagged with it, their soldier would call out sniper and you would know exactly where they were once they break line of sight. With war tapes the VSS was a brutal CQC weapon with wallhacks.

It was fairly respectable at range too, just needed tapfiring.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
So, I've finally decided to jump into BF4 (only a bit late, heh), and was wondering what some good servers/platoons are? Preferably without people ramming helicopters into buildings all the time.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Doesn't seem like it. I noticed I have a lot more survivability in certain situations. Players actually miss at range when there are no extra visuals like hit confirm markers or spotting tags. Without minimap, I notice less psychics running in circles shooting people in the back

Bind the big map to middle mouse on hardcore. People are dumb and decide since there is no minimap or 3d spotting they never need to run a silenced weapon and camp A LOT. Using the big map is free kills all day on hardcore. Oh and classic is 100% better than hardcore if you can find a server running it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

xyigx posted:

Bind the big map to middle mouse on hardcore. People are dumb and decide since there is no minimap or 3d spotting they never need to run a silenced weapon and camp A LOT. Using the big map is free kills all day on hardcore. Oh and classic is 100% better than hardcore if you can find a server running it.

I'll keep that all in mind, thanks.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

xyigx posted:

this man speaks 100% truth, hell I even use my big map in regular servers for poo poo that is farther away like checking if there are any vehicles at far objectives. That and Classic is so much fun but I think there is only 1 server in NA that is a dedicated Classic server and it's not usually very populated :smith:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've had Big Map and Change Minimap Size bound to Mouse4 and Mouse5 ever since Battlefield 2. The map and minimap are so important.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Aces High posted:

this man speaks 100% truth, hell I even use my big map in regular servers for poo poo that is farther away like checking if there are any vehicles at far objectives. That and Classic is so much fun but I think there is only 1 server in NA that is a dedicated Classic server and it's not usually very populated :smith:

Yeah it is criminal how little people play classic. It is literally hardcore with all the issues fixed. Having 100 health means gun balance remains in place and that is the most important part in a fps.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You people need to learn to love the bipod LMG shooting into a hallway endlessly strategy and stop trying to actually play this video game. Come and join me at the Temple of the 24/7 No Explosives Metro. All are welcome in this Holy Place.

All are welcome.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Node posted:

I've had Big Map and Change Minimap Size bound to Mouse4 and Mouse5 ever since Battlefield 2. The map and minimap are so important.

Same here.

I also have love for Classic mode — and fortunately there are even a few populated servers in the EU.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Thinking about it I kind of hope that classic with a tweak or two is the new normal mode. It is a pretty clean skill / gun based game at that point.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hopped on a 24/7 oplock server while waiting for some spots to open up on a good server.

30 seconds in BANNED wtf?

NO SHOTGUNS what gently caress you

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The worst servers ban shotguns. There is a conquest large server that prohibits them, which is baffling.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Chronojam posted:

The worst servers ban shotguns. There is a conquest large server that prohibits them, which is baffling.

Yeah you and kero got them banned on that sever lol. It was on a round where you both had a absurd number of kills. I remember it because it was goon on goon violence. You would hear someone say "wtf who would put a claymore all the gently caress out in the middle of nowhere and kero would just start giggling. But since it was goon vs goon there were actually people blowing up your MAA, so you shotgunned a lot of mans including a very salty admin.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

my favourite is pistol only servers that ban the Shorty and the Mare's Leg. Pistol only servers get kind of boring because 95% of the players only ever use the G18

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my favorite pistol is the REX

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
top 5's and a good server imo

SRR is when i first started playing
870 is well i mean the best gun so
m240b same as 870
PDW-R remains my favorite gun but 99% of those kills were from release to 2nd? dlc so it was waaaaay better at hipfire than it is now. I mean that thing was a loving beast
c4 is good bit im sad im bad at it

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

verbal enema posted:

top 5's and a good server imo

SRR is when i first started playing
870 is well i mean the best gun so
m240b same as 870
PDW-R remains my favorite gun but 99% of those kills were from release to 2nd? dlc so it was waaaaay better at hipfire than it is now. I mean that thing was a loving beast
c4 is good bit im sad im bad at it

I want to say don't get cozy with the SRR/Intervention because of the low bullet drop.

I say as my top gun is still the starter sniper.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

widespread posted:

I want to say don't get cozy with the SRR/Intervention because of the low bullet drop.

I say as my top gun is still the starter sniper.

no i have like 800 hours thats what im sayin

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In continuing PDW adventures hahaha the Groza-4 is terrible. It has the damage but nothing else.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Why are there like 3 identical revolvers

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Because Danger Close is bad at differentiating the guns.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Because Danger Close is bad

Agreed on this point

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

So I found out an easy way to get AA mine kills. And I do mean easy, all you have to do is set an AA mine in a certain place.

You know Hangar 21's pod launchers? Turns out the pods are considered air vehicles, which will set off the AA mine, and the AA mine will kill pods and their occupants in one hit.
Every so often on that map I would head on up above the hangar onto the roof to get some easy kills on the oblivious snipers up there, and before I left to go do something useful, I would leave an AA mine in the top center. I was expecting to suprise a jet pilot, but instead I killed a sniper trying to access the roof by firing the pod launcher straight up.

I haven't tried setting them near the pod launchers at the base of the map, but I expect it would work there as well.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Concordat posted:

So I found out an easy way to get AA mine kills. And I do mean easy, all you have to do is set an AA mine in a certain place.

You know Hangar 21's pod launchers? Turns out the pods are considered air vehicles, which will set off the AA mine, and the AA mine will kill pods and their occupants in one hit.
Every so often on that map I would head on up above the hangar onto the roof to get some easy kills on the oblivious snipers up there, and before I left to go do something useful, I would leave an AA mine in the top center. I was expecting to suprise a jet pilot, but instead I killed a sniper trying to access the roof by firing the pod launcher straight up.

I haven't tried setting them near the pod launchers at the base of the map, but I expect it would work there as well.
The anti air launchers work for that as well.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Yes, but they don't go off the instant the pod gets launched like the AA mine does. And they aren't as notoriously difficult to get kills with either.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I can't wait to try this. I have a few AA mine kills, but this sounds hilarious.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Why are there like 3 identical revolvers

They're not identical, the Unica 6 is extra bad. Had to balance it for its 1 in 10,000 chance to have a unique reload animation I guess.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of Final Stand maps after learning that the minigun drone gets its batteries recharged if you land it and pick it up again that thing has become a lot more fun to use. On Hanger 21 or Hammerhead where snipers are just sitting pretty right out in the open it's a blast to send it up, fly it over to a herd of wookies, kill them, and fly it back again - only to send it back a minute later and kill the exact same snipers.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of Final Stand maps after learning that the minigun drone gets its batteries recharged if you land it and pick it up again that thing has become a lot more fun to use. On Hanger 21 or Hammerhead where snipers are just sitting pretty right out in the open it's a blast to send it up, fly it over to a herd of wookies, kill them, and fly it back again - only to send it back a minute later and kill the exact same snipers.

Never saw this one before. I'm intrigued.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Never saw this one before. I'm intrigued.

Pretty simple. Grab the drone, get somewhere safe, send it out. When the battery is just about half gone bring it back to where you're hiding and press E to "get out" of it. Pick it up, deploy it again, and it'll have a full battery. The gun on it may be weaker then a PDW at 100 meters but most prone wookies won't notice it so just get right on top of them.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Is it worth getting the DLC for this game if I enjoy playing it?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

drkeiscool posted:

Is it worth getting the DLC for this game if I enjoy playing it?
Yes. You can wait for Premium to go on sale and get it all for $20, which it does with some frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Good to see that we still have what it takes to win Battlefield games without doing anything besides typing in chat.

• Locked thread