Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I think im going to sit on my sli 980tis till at least the 1080ti or titan as i cant justify the 10-15% performance increase when i have mine in a custom water loop and am only rocking a 1440p 144hz screen and a vive and they smash out everything that i play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are ####x1440 Ultrawides costing these days?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

What are ####x1440 Ultrawides costing these days?

2560x1080 for $500 or 3440x1440 for $600-700. 2560x1080@144Hz is running $750 and 3440x1440@100Hz is running $1,200 new.

Granted, these are prices for 34/35" monitors, which is preferable for 21:9 resolutions.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 30, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
21:9 is 100% the way to go. I have 34" 1080p ultra wide the ppi is low but not terrible, however the ultrawide nature is the best thing ever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As someone who does a lot of CAD work, holy poo poo is 21:9 the poo poo. Number one thing that drafters want when working is real estate, and 21:9 1440p delivers that in spades.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

This is the 1080, i will upgrade to a 1440 one day.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love my 21:9 monitor, but it's 2560x1080.

I can't imagine going to 34", that would be simply ridiculous in size and not fit very well on my desk, methinks.

I forgot that Ultrawides usually cost as much as the next "jump" up in 16:9 monitor resolutions :negative:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I can't imagine going to 34", that would be simply ridiculous in size and not fit very well on my desk, methinks.

I forgot that Ultrawides usually cost as much as the next "jump" up in 16:9 monitor resolutions :negative:

It's only 5" wider and 4" taller.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

the 34um67 i got was on sale for 300 so just keep an eye out.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Still clinging to my antiquated notions of 16:10 supremacy with a 2560x1600 30'' :corsair:

Probably have to bite the bullet and go UHD sometime, no ultrawides for me thanks. I'll have the 4 1080p windows at a time please (something you ultrawide spergs can't do atm).

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Seamonster posted:

Still clinging to my antiquated notions of 16:10 supremacy with a 2560x1600 30'' :corsair:

Probably have to bite the bullet and go UHD sometime, no ultrawides for me thanks. I'll have the 4 1080p windows at a time please (something you ultrawide spergs can't do atm).

16:10 is the superior aspect ratio. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Prescription Combs posted:

16:10 is the superior aspect ratio. :colbert:

There's a Spinal Tap reference to be made here. But yeah, I'm with you - those extra pixels enable me to run games in 1680x1050 windows with room to spare on a 1200p monitor. That being said, 1440p would be fine, too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got 2x 27" 1440p monitors for $450 and I'm pretty sure that's the best value.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Seamonster posted:

:same:
I'm clinging to mine until it dies, and redirecting my monitor budget into head mounted displays.

Which are better than classic monitors in every single goddamn way, except resolution (for now). And even at poo poo resolution, now that I've seen the future I don't want to go back.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Would my i5-2500k 3.30Ghz CPU bottleneck the 1070 at all? I don't need to go above 1920x1080.

I was going to build a new computer, but if I can play all the games (GTA V, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Fallout 4) at ~60fps with the 1070 without changing anything else, that would save me a whole lot of money.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you're not overclocking, it'll probably hold it back a little depending on the game, but you arent going to be crippled or anything.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

Yup, 1070 is the go. Especially when it will likely weigh in at AUD$700 for me :(

With the delay I'll actually build the PC using my 560Ti and then wait for supply chain and hardware revisions to settle down. That lets me dodge any launch day problems, lets the 3rd party cards come out and I can still use the win7 to win10 upgrade on my 6700K before then.

Edit: the 1080 FE are AUD$1200 here ahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :suicide:

Still cheaper than :britain: (which I guess is in turn cheaper than some other places in Europe)..

I think I'll do the opposite of you; stick a 1070 into my current i7-920 rig and see how well it goes. Although I'm in far less of a rush to do so now that No Man's Sky has been officially delayed a couple of months.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Hace posted:

If you're not overclocking, it'll probably hold it back a little depending on the game, but you arent going to be crippled or anything.
I'm assuming it will play a lot better than the HD 6870 I'm using right now, right? As long as there's a marked improvement I'll be happy.

And less noise. I hate the noise that thing makes. I've tried googling it, but all I don't know how to interpret all those numbers. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Muttonchips posted:

I'm assuming it will play a lot better than the HD 6870 I'm using right now, right? As long as there's a marked improvement I'll be happy.

And less noise. I hate the noise that thing makes. I've tried googling it, but all I don't know how to interpret all those numbers. :(

A 1070 will give you so many FPS at 1080p that it won't matter if it's bottlenecked. Seriously, something like Skyrim will be running at something obscene like 300FPS, in fact you could just enable 4k DSR and still get over 60 easy with games that old. Of course if you install an insane number of mods you can get the FPS to drop down a lot but it should be very playable no matter what.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i2500k doesnt bottleneck a well OCed 980ti and that is comparable to a 1070.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
How do you establish if a CPU can bottleneck a GPU? I've got to upgrade, at least, my 6890, but I don't know what to do with my i5-760.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my understanding is that if your cores running the game are maxed but your gpu isnt then your cpu may be holding back the gpu in that specific game. If you are getting poor fps and your gpu load isnt very high then your cpu is probably the issue.

something like a 50% gpu usage with 99% cpu usage and half the fps that other people are getting with that same gpu would indicate a bottleneck.

This assumes a properly optimized game that actually uses all the processing power it has available. Games vary wildly on how cpu or gpu intensive they are.

Bottlenecks are not a thing that really happens anymore except in poorly made games or 7+ year old systems with a current gen flagship gpu

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 30, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Char posted:

How do you establish if a CPU can bottleneck a GPU? I've got to upgrade, at least, my 6890, but I don't know what to do with my i5-760.

Run kerbal space program. Create a rocket, 500 parts. Launch. Is the timer green? You're ok! Is the timer yellow/red? Your CPU is poo poo!

(don't do this, kerbal has silly physics that make gameplay possible and obviously run on CPU)

e: but this is the general idea as ^^^^ said. If a CPU core is at 100% and GPU isn't at 100% and your game is running bad, you want a better CPU. It's very game dependant, so if you play games like kerbal a better CPU is always a good idea.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Truga posted:

Run kerbal space program. Create a rocket, 500 parts. Launch. Is the timer green? You're ok! Is the timer yellow/red? Your CPU is poo poo!

(don't do this, kerbal has silly physics that make gameplay possible and obviously run on CPU)

e: but this is the general idea as ^^^^ said. If a CPU core is at 100% and GPU isn't at 100% and your game is running bad, you want a better CPU. It's very game dependant, so if you play games like kerbal a better CPU is always a good idea.

Nice, thanks. I'll have to buy a 1070 and see what happens.

Char fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 30, 2016

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008
Welp, a German site reviewed the ASUS 1080 Strix OC. Link (if you like Google Translate or can speak/read German)

Basically, when you don't mess around with the power-target, the card hits it pretty drat quick, the noiselevels are about the same as a Flounder Edition, temps are better (around 73C° out of the box).

I just don't know why there is an 8+6 pin powerconnector, if a FE can hit about the same speeds etc. (but at a way higher noiselevel) with just one 8 pin connector. Overall it feels a bit disappointing to me and canceled the preorder and preordered an EVGA 1080 FTW instead, which is cheaper, and has potential to be better and/or quieter than the ASUS.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

only three of the heatpipes touch the core

never change asus :allears:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
OC that 2500k to at least 4GHZ, even a stock heatsink should hit that with a .05 volt increase. I've been running mine stand with an aftermarket heatsink at 4.4 since 2011.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

repiv posted:

To be fair, the die appears to only span 2.5 heatpipes.

But advertising 5 heatpipes is awesome!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Learning from EVGA's fuckups? heh :smug:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Welp, a German site reviewed the ASUS 1080 Strix OC. Link (if you like Google Translate or can speak/read German)

Basically, when you don't mess around with the power-target, the card hits it pretty drat quick, the noiselevels are about the same as a Flounder Edition, temps are better (around 73C° out of the box).

I just don't know why there is an 8+6 pin powerconnector, if a FE can hit about the same speeds etc. (but at a way higher noiselevel) with just one 8 pin connector. Overall it feels a bit disappointing to me and canceled the preorder and preordered an EVGA 1080 FTW instead, which is cheaper, and has potential to be better and/or quieter than the ASUS.

Hmm, might do the same if the FTW reviews better, but that GPU fan controller would be super useful for my system.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

repiv posted:

if they wanted to they probably could've made all five heatpipes touch, but shrinking the diameter of the pipes would probably make the heat transfer less efficient due to the pressure drop from the venturi effect. marketing at it's finest :henget:

edit: nvm those are just copper pipes with no fluid or flow to speak of

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Muttonchips posted:

Would my i5-2500k 3.30Ghz CPU bottleneck the 1070 at all? I don't need to go above 1920x1080.

I was going to build a new computer, but if I can play all the games (GTA V, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Fallout 4) at ~60fps with the 1070 without changing anything else, that would save me a whole lot of money.

You can trivially OC almost any 2500k. Something like 90% of them will do 4.4ghz without changing anything other than multiplier. Building a new computer would be silly. New GPU makes a ton of sense for you, and the 1070 is an excellent match.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Smithereens posted:

edit: nvm those are just copper pipes with no fluid or flow to speak of

lmao

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Most of the games are rather simple and go pretty easy on the CPU, there are only a few games which really do a lot of stuff that'll bog a current CPU down. (Space Engineers is such a current example) If you play such a game, you usually know already if the CPU is the bottleneck. Don't need a fast CPU for some glorified shooter.

The 1070 looks kinda attractive but I don't think at current prices. Maybe end of the year for me, till then things also will be a bit stabilized and possible kinks worked out. I got this R9 390 way too recent (and still at a good price, all things considered) to be upgrading now. The only thing that slightly annoys me is that the resale value for this card is pretty much in the gutter now. Welp, guess you can't always win.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Crossfire it with a 480! :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Quickest easiest way to see if your card's bottlenecked is to turn the settings up or down. If the framerate doesn't change you're CPU limited and turn those settings up.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Police Automaton posted:

The 1070 looks kinda attractive but I don't think at current prices. Maybe end of the year for me, till then things also will be a bit stabilized and possible kinks worked out.

This makes no sense. Your other card will continue crashing through the floor in resale value until then. You will also lose 6 months of having the 1070 at the prime of its lifespan, and the 1070 will still be the same general price by year's end.

So basically you'll lose resale value on your existing card, you won't save much if any money, and you won't have the card for 6 months that you could have the card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/AMD/status/735902495952777216

Hopefully they'll tell us something concrete about Polaris :ohdear:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Don't see how it's a big deal in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Got my 2 FE's in today and these things are...quieter then my EVGA 980ti's with ACX. I downloaded the new Precision OC and set the temp/power target higher and the fan profile to agressive. Slapped a 65 mhz overclock on it with 50 on memory and the temps haven't gone above 60c yet.