Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any reasonable way to cover or repair seat cracks that doesn't involve getting adhesive all over your pants? My 250 elite has a couple small holes that I'd like to keep from becoming big holes, but I also don't want to use duct tape and wind up with a sticky mess all over my pants :quagmire:

I've re-covered a couple of motorcycle saddles and it's an easy and rewarding job. You need a heavy duty stapler, a utility knife, some seat cover material, and a can of 3M spray adhesive (optional but good to have). My dirt bike saddle was a two beer job on a rainy day, and it looked really good after I was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any reasonable way to cover or repair seat cracks that doesn't involve getting adhesive all over your pants? My 250 elite has a couple small holes that I'd like to keep from becoming big holes, but I also don't want to use duct tape and wind up with a sticky mess all over my pants :quagmire:

Stop wearing pants. :smug:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

predictive posted:

I've re-covered a couple of motorcycle saddles and it's an easy and rewarding job. You need a heavy duty stapler, a utility knife, some seat cover material, and a can of 3M spray adhesive (optional but good to have). My dirt bike saddle was a two beer job on a rainy day, and it looked really good after I was done.

This.

You can get marine-grade vinyl at any good fabric store. Elmer's spray adhesive is usually also available at the same good fabric store and works as well as 3M. You really only need it to help keep things in place while you're stretching the vinyl and to provide just enough stiction after it's complete to keep it from wrinkling.

Here is a video tutorial that I used when I did mine. Came out great.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You can also just get a premade, prefitted new seat cover off eBay or from various MC parts stores (saddlemens is one brand).

I reupholstered my goldwing's saddle with a new cover from eBay, took about an hour to remove the original cover and get the new one on.

E: found the after pic:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 30, 2016

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I added a sticker

It's weird seeing something I made in someone else's picture :3:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

AncientTV posted:

It's weird seeing something I made in someone else's picture :3:

I feel the same way whenever I'm on Facebook and see my son with his "new daddy." loving restraining order.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

stop trying to make fetch a thing

I loving love you guys.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I actually did many things!
First I "washed" it for the first time in forever.
Afterward, I cleaned and lubed the chain.
Following the chain, I installed bar end mirrors. Now I can see and removed those stupid handlebar mirrors.
That allowed me to move my clutch perch and relocate the 12V adapter.
Finally, I adjusted the clutch cable and lever. It's so much better now. Like buttah.

In retrospect, I should've washed it after all that other stuff, but whatever!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Rolled 35 thousand miles. the antique drz that usually can!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

cursedshitbox posted:

Rolled 35 thousand miles. the antique drz that usually can!

Just keep it away from mailboxes and Chichevache.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

Just keep it away from mailboxes and Chichevache.

My radiator is still working!

And my glow-in-the-dark radiator hoses just arrived. :unsmigghh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

My radiator is still working!

And my glow-in-the-dark radiator hoses just arrived. :unsmigghh:

Are they red? Glowing red rad hoses would be the coolest thing ever, but I don't think I've ever seen red glow in the dark stuff. Failing that green would be cool too if you also put some radiation symbols on the clutch and alternator cover.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
And then next time your radiator explodes you can start bawling about a :supaburn: LEAK IN THE PRIMARY COOLANT SYSTEM :derp::toxx:

(I've been watching Red October again)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 2, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are they red? Glowing red rad hoses would be the coolest thing ever, but I don't think I've ever seen red glow in the dark stuff. Failing that green would be cool too if you also put some radiation symbols on the clutch and alternator cover.

Nah, more of a mint. I doubt they even glow, to be honest. It was just serendipitous that they are a color I already liked.

Renaissance Robot posted:

And then next time your radiator explodes you can start bawling about a :supaburn: LEAK IN THE PRIMARY COOLANT SYSTEM :derp::toxx:

(I've been watching Red October again)

Next time?:shepface:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
They make glow in the dark condoms too...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ordered an r6 throttle tube for it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Adjusted and lubed chain. The zrx feels so smooth. I almost took it round-trip to LA, but Lady Chiche decided she wants air conditioning.

cursedshitbox posted:

They make glow in the dark condoms too...

How small?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Handed it in for its 12000km service. I still don't trust myself not to gently caress up the valve adjustment.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

New rear HH brake pads and the Honda spray polish came in.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

:captainpop:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Adjusted and lubed chain. The zrx feels so smooth. I almost took it round-trip to LA, but Lady Chiche decided she wants air conditioning.

How small?

Isn't a motorcycle basically air conditioning incarnate?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not for the poor suckers who have fairings and windshields.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Spun a crank bearing.

It's not 100% dead yet (still turns over and runs), but that way leads to windows in the block. It thumps and rattles and sounds like there's a handful of bolts in the oil pan. Don't think it's worth trying to rebuild, but new motors are a thousand bucks.

I hit 54,000 miles yesterday and got oil and filter for the 3,000 mile change. Oh well, I guess I get to return a gallon of Rotella and an oil filter.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

HotCanadianChick posted:

Not for the poor suckers who have fairings and windshields.

I'm 6', my passenger is 5'. She has a windshield.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not when it's +90f and humid as gently caress. Mesh helps, but only does so much.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also doesn't help when there's traffic. Splitting only does so much.

I know we all scoffed when it was posted but some days I could really go for a tube shoved up my jacket pumping out cold air.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

A fan perhaps, but not air conditioning.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also doesn't help when there's traffic. Splitting only does so much.

I know we all scoffed when it was posted but some days I could really go for a tube shoved up my jacket pumping out cold air.

Honestly the humidity is what kills in the Bay. 87 in San Jose is muggy and hellish. 97 in the Inland Empire isn't too bad once you have a slight breeze going. Under 20 and it sucks.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

sitting in LA traffic is the loving worst. You get 2 seconds of going 10 mph, then you're sitting in place again for another 30 seconds. The sun is down on ya, plus your feet start getting hot from the pavement

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

It's hotter today. :woop:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
117 47 degrees!? How the hell are not dead and/or on fire right now :kingsley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Wrenched from 4-11 yesterday, what a pain in the dick it is to remove the carb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAcjomDPOIg

brap brap

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

But it's a dry heave

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

As a wise person once said, Arizona is a testament to man's hubris.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Replaced oem footrests with PSR so I don't slip off the drat things during a rainy trackday anymore. Moved the rearsets all the way up on the riser plates, only to discover my right rearset fouls the plate with the brake return spring tab, so I had to move them back down :chloe:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I replaced the thermostat. Maybe it's just the warmer weather, but the bike seems to warm up quicker and stay in the middle of the temp range better now.

I still get the rare-to-occasional exhaust backfire out of the left cylinder, it's ceased to rattle me but unlucky pedestrians freak the hell out and it amuses me greatly.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

Ran over a piece a metal last week and finally had time to take care of replacing the rear tire this afternoon.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
what a sad looking garage

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
And yet, I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

Slim Pickens posted:

what a sad looking garage

Ouch. I rent an apartment and just happy to have a private garage to do stuff like this. If you want to donate rad posters by all means I'll take them :)

chicagobutters fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 5, 2016