Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ablative posted:

Admittedly Tatooine was colonized about a hundred different times throughout history for its mineral wealth. And then the colonies were lost because of the Raiders, the fact that the dust storms cause most of the mineral wealth to corrode rather quickly, or heatstroke.

I have no excuse for Hoth, though.

Hoth is a starship graveyard. Something about the place makes it easy for ships to go down there, which means there's a lot of salvage. Which meand more people fight over it, and their wreckage makes MORE salvage, et6 cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Bruceski posted:

Hoth is a starship graveyard. Something about the place makes it easy for ships to go down there, which means there's a lot of salvage. Which mean more people fight over it, and their wreckage makes MORE salvage, et cetera.

Hoth was a Jakku?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IronSaber posted:

Hoth was a Jakku?

Yeah, if I remember EU stuff correctly. The magnetic science-gibberish which let the Rebels hide from Imperial scans (along with the remote location) also screwed up navigation.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Coolguye posted:

Low Chaos Update

Light at the End
: Youtube Polsy

Hey, just catching up on all the videos in this LP and Light at the End is absurdly easy if you upgraded Blink. When you first arrive you can swim to one of the islands you passed from where Samuel dropped you off and Blink up to one of the giant cables running overhead. You can take the cable over the entirely of the first section of the map, and from there you can run around the top of the inner wall to the gatehouse for the second wall of light. From the top of the gatehouse you can Blink to a small platform with a guardrail above the second wall of light and go over the top of the building.

Edit: Scratch that, you don't even need to upgrade Blink. Totally doable on a Mostly Flesh and Steel run

grack fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 30, 2016

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In fairness, most of the game is hilariously easy if you're willing to just skip everything. There's very, very few obstacles which can't be solved just by blinking past everything, only stopping to stab a target or pull some whale oil out of a wall of light.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It depends on your goals. If you're going for Low Chaos I think it's perfectly reasonable to use the environment to your advantage. In the final level the developers specifically added a path to get on top of the first set of cables so why not use it?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
There's a set of cables inside the wall wrapped in barbed wire, that you can't get a solid foot on and will cheese-grater the hell out of you while you touch them. That's the only such thing I remember seeing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Outside the wall, there's a pair of cables anchored on the little stony outcroppings in the water. There's a way to get to one of them with Blink and a little swimming.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Star Wars tech is basically stagnant but evolves horizontally. Like they have the same poo poo but they just end up doing it differently because it's basically peaked and plateaued. Also because Star Wars is more science Fantasy than science Fiction. It's more symbolic and appearance oriented than anything.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Uh, they increased the size of the death star from a small moon to an entire planet? So much for stagnant tech. :rolleyes: :smug:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

SpookyLizard posted:

Star Wars tech is basically stagnant but evolves horizontally. Like they have the same poo poo but they just end up doing it differently because it's basically peaked and plateaued. Also because Star Wars is more science Fantasy than science Fiction. It's more symbolic and appearance oriented than anything.

Warning: techwank blather from a massive nerd who is probably not properly qualified to speak on such things, perhaps even just for fiction:

Well, it's not stagnant if it develops at all. It's just dynamic in a less interesting fashion. Technological depth is your bleeding edge new stuff- to us, robotics, cybernetics, 3D printing, graphene production, whatever. However, all that sort of cool stuff is useless without development in making it broader in scope, more reliable, and more scalable. Increased scope in particular requires more and more basic resources, especially energy.

(Ignoring issues of SW canon:)
The main thing that changes though most of Star Wars is how much general "power" is available. Ancient lightsabers worked on batteries that could only last a few minutes and required a power backpack and heavy cable. Old lightsabers (KOTOR, etc.) lasted well, but could barely slice through a metal-plate door without a minute or two of cutting, and a sword merely woven/alloyed with lightsaber-resistant material would suit battle with Sith. Later lightsabers could output more energy indefinitely, able to instantly cut basically anything non-resistant. Some energy engineers clearly are making some sort of progress on the low levels of technology, increasing convenience for known tech, but creative application is lacking.
There was a time when great things were done without such advances by harnessing the Force as an endless energy source, and thus there is ancient hyper-tech with greater "power" requirements than the community at large can support. These people also seemed to have a lot more weird ideas on how to go about things, especially FTL travel, and later civilizations picked the best that they could adapt to their "power" and stuck with them. In short, everyone's already tried a lot of the cool stuff, and the chaff has been removed over millenia. Outside of superweaponry and numerical/scale upgrades, there's just not many challenges to overcome.

As for Dishonored, we see great strides specifically because there is a new source of power with which to solve extant problems. Ideas which were perhaps already known, but unreachable, suddenly fall within the realm of possibility. To develop vertically, one must have both a new goal and new means, with each being more than a numerical upgrade (breadth).

Related scholarly thing on large-scale technological development, on which basis I wrote the above (to some degree): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I have to admit I haven't read a ton of EU stuff but even so it just feels weird for that universe to be so entirely stagnant for over 3000 years, especially if they revolutionised their energy production methods. :shrug:

In the end it doesn't really matter anyways because the star wars universe was never built to be accurate and realistic and the old EU was a huge mess, every author doing their own thing and one upping each other. Also it's understandable that bioware figured their game just had to look like star wars, even though it's set way earlier.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I always took Star Wars to be a universe where science more or less plateaued and no-one really had the right combination of power and desire except the occasional galaxy screwing sith lord who wanted a bigger gun. The rich already have their palaces and grand spaceships and clone armies, and everyone else shits in a bucket because space toilets are expensive. Perfect space shitters are all over coruscant.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

For a long time I've seen the galactic government in star wars as the Empire from the Foundation series but without a Foundation to get it back on track. It's culturally stagnating, technologically all but inert and constantly threatening to implode under its own weight, with different warlords wresting control of chunks of the periphery. The Jedi are able to keep it running short-term but are unable or unwilling to fix the long-term inertia.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I just find it hard to believe that such an empire could be this stagnant technology wise. A whole galaxy and no one having a good new idea? With so many different races? For over 3000 years? With wars going on?

Also this is a terribly nerdy derail, I'm sorry I'll stop here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
High Chaos Update

A Captain of Industry (part 1):
Youtube Polsy

flacyosh
Dec 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Low Chaos Update

Light at the End
: Youtube Polsy

Could you add this to the list of videos on the front page? The High Chaos videos have been kept up to date, but the Low Chaos videos stop after the video of Orv screwing around on The Loyalists. I don't always read the whole thread, so I missed this for several days because of that.

flacyosh fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 31, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Certainly - sorry, my bad for not updating the OP properly.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Remember, Coolguye, Orv, your LP is vital to state integrity, taking a day off is treason.

I need to go back and play this DLC again all the way through, I left off last time due to some other game releasing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I reserve the right to take the day off when I wake up screaming. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless you are screaming because you missed your socks and stuck your feet in a pair of riverkrusts, no. :colbert:

Besides, making videos is really easy anyway. Just record, do void magic and upload. Simple. Even a granny could do it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I always felt that Granny Rags' gift recipes were a really good example of both world-building and coding, as I've felt that things like detecting when a specific object is in a specific place is a serious achievement, despite it probably just being a matter of defining an invisible hitbox that only responds to a flag set on the specific object. Plus they're all doable on clean hands. The only time I really had a problem with one was on the very last level of the second DLC, where she wants you to swallow three River Krust pearls. Which you may recall range in size from larger than a human eye to the size of a grenade. There's no difficulty in actually doing it as far as the game is concerned, it just seems unworkable from a physics perspective.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I just realised I never got the second part of that dlc, I should get around to that.

Also I completely missed all the granny rags stuff. Huh.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I never did a single one of Granny Rags cooking recipes, it seemed like too much of a bother and just plain creepy.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm not sure what the real in-universe logic is for why poo poo doesn't really change but I always kinda just got the impression that stuff in SW stays the same because it's more about aesthetic and image in varying areas than anything. That and it's never been thought about as like an entire civilization, it's been different games, cartoons, comics, and loving piles upon piles of books, that basically are all trying to be Star Wars, but aren't always aware that there should be some degree of technological difference from being three thousand years in the past.

I'm not actually super on a lot of SW EU stuff, my main familiarity is with the various games, most especially the KOTOR games. Where poo poo is basically exactly the same, because it's a Star Wars game, and having a lightsaber you need to recharge after a few swings. And why would you waste a pile of time and money creating new laser effects or laser guns when people will want to shoot blasters, so just use blasters.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think this ends being explained as basically being a sideways technological development. People do the something different to the same effect, whether because it's cheaper, more efficient, or less resource intensive, or what have you. But it never really changes, because Star Wars is represented by certain aesthetics, and deviating from that, doesn't wholly fit Star Wars. That's not to say there isn't EU material that has different stuff, but at least in my experience, it's more the case.

Also, iirc, Tatooine actually has lovely minerals that are prone to rusting near anything resembling water, so while they're relatively fine on Tatooine, a desert with practically negative humidity, as soon as they go to any place with anything resembling moisture they rust and rot to dust. So it gets colonized, people export minerals, get driven to bankruptcy by Sand People and their lovely product, and a few years later someone else gets the same idea and history repeats itself.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I always reckoned "necessity is the mother of invention", and the high-tech societies in Star Wars have everything they need.

I imagine most of the innovation happens toward the lower-class MacGyvering end of the scale, like this water-powered lamp for areas without electricity.

There's really nothing you could want to do that doesn't already exist, so the struggle is more "How can I get or imitate the device which does this" rather than "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a way to do this".

Orv
May 4, 2011
Star Wars is bad and stupid, is your answer.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Poil posted:

I never did a single one of Granny Rags cooking recipes, it seemed like too much of a bother and just plain creepy.

Dareon posted:

I always felt that Granny Rags' gift recipes were a really good example of both world-building and coding, as I've felt that things like detecting when a specific object is in a specific place is a serious achievement, despite it probably just being a matter of defining an invisible hitbox that only responds to a flag set on the specific object. Plus they're all doable on clean hands. The only time I really had a problem with one was on the very last level of the second DLC, where she wants you to swallow three River Krust pearls. Which you may recall range in size from larger than a human eye to the size of a grenade. There's no difficulty in actually doing it as far as the game is concerned, it just seems unworkable from a physics perspective.

I think the thing I like the most about the Granny Rags stuff is it really reinforces how long she's been around. You might not know when she was in that largely inaccessible room setting up a little cooking nook but you know she's been there, and you know there's probably not a corner of Dunwall and perhaps even the rest of the world that she has not tread. The world-building in Dishonored is just so drat good.

Definitely creepy though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Orv posted:

u forgot to call it shart warz

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think the thing I like the most about the Granny Rags stuff is it really reinforces how long she's been around. You might not know when she was in that largely inaccessible room setting up a little cooking nook but you know she's been there, and you know there's probably not a corner of Dunwall and perhaps even the rest of the world that she has not tread. The world-building in Dishonored is just so drat good.

Definitely creepy though.

Honestly, that little bit kind of made a lot of the Granny Rags stuff in Dishonored more effective in retrospect for me. She shows up a couple of times for Corvo and you see an old apartment of hers and that's grand, but it kind of gives you her origin point and her ending point; there is a tendency to think that she sort of linearly went from point A to point B, which is shrines and runes and then suddenly Slackjaw Stew. With a cookbook and a sidequest it really quickly became a lot more real that no, between point A and point B there were AT LEAST points Y and Z and in a lot of ways those points were a lot more hosed up than point Slackjaw Stew because she not only understands enough about human transmutation to do some occult poo poo with it, she understands human transmutation as it relates to an obscure disease process and the occult properties inherent to whales.

At that point I'm just like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG145xzkAG8&t=15s

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Orv posted:

Basically this.

Also I'm glad you guys are doing the DLC because I totally forgot it existed and now I also have to play it.

Coolguye posted:

u forgot to call it shart warz

Honestly, that little bit kind of made a lot of the Granny Rags stuff in Dishonored more effective in retrospect for me. She shows up a couple of times for Corvo and you see an old apartment of hers and that's grand, but it kind of gives you her origin point and her ending point; there is a tendency to think that she sort of linearly went from point A to point B, which is shrines and runes and then suddenly Slackjaw Stew. With a cookbook and a sidequest it really quickly became a lot more real that no, between point A and point B there were AT LEAST points Y and Z and in a lot of ways those points were a lot more hosed up than point Slackjaw Stew because she not only understands enough about human transmutation to do some occult poo poo with it, she understands human transmutation as it relates to an obscure disease process and the occult properties inherent to whales.

At that point I'm just like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG145xzkAG8&t=15s

I can't help but feel that when she asks Corvo to deal with those guys she's not being old senile, but playing the role of The Outsider. Granny is bored, and here comes someone interesting, and lets see what he'll do for a shiny trinket. When I first played the game I thought she was just a spooky old witch to kinda show that you're not the only one with the Outsider's influence and to see what his influence can do to people. And now we kinda get the idea that she's been around for a long time, longer than the Outsider implied, and she'll be around a lot longer so long as Corvo doesn't throw her phylactery in a furnace.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Man, now I want a playable granny rags dlc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

Man, now I want a playable granny rags dlc.

Rather than collecting runes, you start with them but must trade them to people to get ingredients.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It bothers me slightly that it is now revealed there are only 8 outsider-touched people in the world. Within Dunwall alone we have Corvo, Daud, Granny, the royal interrogator. The world's supposed to be much bigger than that.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

As I understand it, Dunwall is more or less the biggest, most happeningest city around, so the Outsider might be more interested in people there and not spread so many out elsewhere, and those that aren't there might gravitate towards it when they're especially powerful. Also, consider that he's been doing this for thousands of years, so he probably dumps several together just to ensure maximum chaos.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There is a problem where the world of Dishonored feels a bit too small. There are the Isles, which is supposed to be something analogous to the British Empire except that it's more of a confederation than outright imperial exploitation... and that's it. Pandyssia's a post-apocalyptic hellhole, there are few other markets to trade with. Meanwhile, Britain's industrial revolution was fueled by trade with the Eurasian landmass.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dancer posted:

It bothers me slightly that it is now revealed there are only 8 outsider-touched people in the world. Within Dunwall alone we have Corvo, Daud, Granny, the royal interrogator. The world's supposed to be much bigger than that.

There's also a random boy with a rat and REDACTED. Also in Dunwall. Although it seems from my wiki-whacking that the executioner isn't actually marked by the Outsider, he just learned magic from Granny Rags.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TBH I'm kinda bummed that the only source of magic power is the Outsider or someone given powers by the Outsider. It'd be a lot more fun if there are more gods in this Eldrich pantheon.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, the Outsider specifically says that they're bearing his mark. Dauds many assassins' don't have the mark, but they did learn how to blink. Granny Rags definitely knows a lot but does she just worship the outsider, or is she marked? And considering that some of those people, much like that boy, Daud, and Corvo, have all died, or are all going to die soon, or are at serious risk of an imminent death, that low number doesn't surprise me.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Granny's gloves likely hide a mark but then there's the Cameo being her secret source of power thing. In Dishonored 2 you can see Emily wearing a tell-tale cloth around her hand to hide it. Daud's men can only blink and do that pulling thing, I guess the explanation was that he's 'sharing' his power somehow.

But Granny can summon rats, that's pretty heavy. Windblast too can be considerably powerful.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
We also never hear anything about Granny being visited by the Outsider. Corvo and Daud have both had visions of the Outsider in their sleep. It's unknown if he visits Granny in the same way, or he just enjoys watching her and what she does.

• Locked thread