Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
He floated like a butterfly. He stung like a bee. He beat the poo poo out of Joe Frazier. But now he's getting his rear end kicked by a respiratory issue and is reportedly on life support in an Arizona hospital with his family rushing to be by his side: If you want to KO Ali, hop on the next plane to Arizona because there might not be much time....

He was admitted yesterday and was reportedly in fair condition, but has apparely deteriorated rapidly.

I'm very shaken up by this news. It's kind of a punch in the gut.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/03/muhamm...dium=SocialFlow

quote:

Muhammad Ali has been placed on life support — and his family fears that it “likely won’t be long until he passes away,” according to a report.

The boxing legend was hospitalized in Scottsdale, Ariz., for a respiratory issue on Thursday and insiders tell Radar Online that his loved ones are now rushing to his side because it appears his condition has worsened.

“He needs every bit of fight he’s got left to survive,” a source told the website. “Doctors are telling the family that it likely won’t be long until he passes away.”

Another source said Ali’s vitals “are terrible” at the moment and he is currently relying on medical help to breathe.

His rep told the Associated Press on Thursday that the respiratory problems that the former heavyweight champion was facing had been complicated by the Parkinson’s disease he was diagnosed with in the 1980s.

The spokesman said Ali was being treated at an unidentified hospital and was in “fair condition” and that a brief hospital stay was expected.

But it appears that things got more serious overnight.

“His children are all extremely concerned and dropped everything to be with him,” a source told the Daily Mirror. “They fear the worst.”

Ali has been hospitalized numerous times in the past, most recently in early 2015 when he was treated for a severe urinary tract infection that was initially thought to be pneumonia.

He has looked increasingly frail in public appearances, including April 9, when he wore sunglasses and was hunched over at the annual Celebrity Fight Night dinner in Phoenix, which raises funds for treatment of Parkinson’s.

His last formal public appearance before that was in October, when he appeared at the Sports Illustrated Tribute to Muhammad Ali at The Muhammad Ali Center in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, along with former opponents George Foreman and Larry Holmes.

Ali has suffered from Parkinson’s for three decades, most famously trembling badly while lighting the Olympic torch in 1996 in Atlanta. Despite the disease, he kept up a busy appearance schedule until recently, though he has not spoken in public for years.

Doctors say the Parkinson’s likely was caused by the thousands of punches Ali took during a career in which he traveled the world for big fights.

An iconic figure who at one point was perhaps the most recognized person in the world, Ali has lived quietly in the Phoenix area with his fourth wife, Lonnie, whom he married in 1986.

News of his hospitalization brought well wishes from boxers and others on Twitter.

Did anyone have Ali in the Death Watch thread around the beginning of the year? If so, it looks like you're probably winning.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Joe Frazier says lol

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

quote:

---------- ADVERTISEMENT ------------

:cry: nooooooooooo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
mods knew

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
The Liston fight was fixed!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmHVWpJi54M

oh im so pretty :swoon:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I heard muhammad ali was a mmuslim

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

JakeP posted:

I heard muhammad ali was a mmuslim

yes he ws a musaloon

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
moon....god?

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
tyson, its time to take the title

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

theyre gonna have to update that will smith movie about him

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm from a universe where he died ten years ago

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

2016 sucks

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Thought that was this universe til I saw this thread.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He was the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson of his time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Me too man.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It comes up all the time. Who would have beat Muhammad Ali at his prime?

Degenerative disease.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

this brings back so many memories

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hXF-ule0pw

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/latimespugmire/status/738860867102482432

Zeluth posted:

It comes up all the time. Who would have beat Muhammad Ali at his prime?

Degenerative disease.

death has a record of like 108 billion and 0

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I was unaware the Muhammad Ali was still alive so I am not sure how too feel about him possibly dying?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

people have cheated death plenty of times

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Node posted:

people have cheated death plenty of times

Father Time is undefeated. :colbert:

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
I honestly did not know he was still alive. Good for him!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Illavick posted:

I honestly did not know he was still alive. Good for him!

Apparently not for much longer.

He was able to beat up some very large, dangerous men, but some pussy cold is going to kill him. Weak.

Sources say the family has been told "it could be hours."

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 4, 2016

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Who?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLWAZhTFsQ

Ali was a great troll

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Foreman? Where George Foreman? I'll gently caress him up

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
That sitcom he was in with Susan Saint James in the early 1980s really helped shape my preteen years. (Especially that Ari Meyers...yow!)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Retail Slave posted:

He floated like a butterfly. He stung like a bee. He beat the poo poo out of Joe Frazier. But now he's getting his rear end kicked by a respiratory issue and is reportedly on life support in an Arizona hospital with his family rushing to be by his side: If you want to KO Ali, hop on the next plane to Arizona because there might not be much time....

He was admitted yesterday and was reportedly in fair condition, but has apparely deteriorated rapidly.

I'm very shaken up by this news. It's kind of a punch in the gut.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/03/muhamm...dium=SocialFlow

Did anyone have Ali in the Death Watch thread around the beginning of the year? If so, it looks like you're probably winning.

I thought he died in the 90s

Fat Jesus posted:

Joe Frazier says lol

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Don't think he's going to win "The Coma in Arizona."

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Who is the current champ in boxing these days. Seems like everyone is more focused on cage fight cuddling.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Edgar posted:

Who is the current champ in boxing these days. Seems like everyone is more focused on cage fight cuddling.

depends on the weight class

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
did you ever thing realize that 'muhammad' sounds a lot like 'more ham man'? really makes you think - maybe we are not so different after all. well, peace be upon you regardless, namaste

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
he's been dead since the 80s, his empty shell has been paraded out for a while though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kuato posted:

he's been dead since the 80s, his empty shell has been paraded out for a while though.

brain damage from the rope a dope will do that to ya

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Trump's plan to rid America of Muslims is starting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I used to gently caress around with a chick named Ali. That's my Ali story.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kuato posted:

I remember when he lit the cauldron at the Atlanta Olympics. I also remember being seriously concerned that he was going to drop the torch and immolate himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I used to gently caress around with a chick named Ali. That's my Ali story.

did you rumble in her jungle

• Locked thread