Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Too bad that chart does not show how AMD is curb stomped on single thread performance even with their 'massive improvement' in generational performance.

I am still rooting for Zen to be competitive, but that chart is marketing bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sout posted:

I know how to apply thermal paste is a hot, strongly debated issue (or something), but I'm curious about the process of removing old thermal paste before applying this new cooler.
The general advice is to use some sort of alcohol and wipes, what's good/cheap for this?
Also if I'm using an anti-static wristband with stuff outside of the case what do I clip it onto?

Literally any alcohol will do it. I'm partial to isopropyl but any ethanol is fine. I use tissue paper to wipe away residue, then rinse with alcohol and let it evaporate. Why use a wristband?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
91% isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

Literally any alcohol will do it. I'm partial to isopropyl but any ethanol is fine. I use tissue paper to wipe away residue, then rinse with alcohol and let it evaporate. Why use a wristband?

Cheers.
I've just been recommended to use a wristband in the past when messing with parts I guess :shrug:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you get a shock whenever you touch a metal surface I too would consider it. If you're not the monster of static then it's not worth bothering.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

sout posted:

Cheers.
I've just been recommended to use a wristband in the past when messing with parts I guess :shrug:

The idea is that the wristband will ground out any static charge you might be carrying while you work so that it doesn't go through components that you're touching instead and damage them. In practice, unless you are somehow actively generating static while working on the computer it's sufficient to touch an unpainted bit of the case to ground yourself at the start before you touch anything else to work on it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 6, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Build all your PCs naked

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Use whatever you have laying around to wipe it up. Papertowel, microfiber, coffee filter. Just watch for any small components that they might catch and yank off (though thats only a real concern if you are using conductive paste or want it to be perfectly clean around the die.

As far as static. Just plug your power supply in, do not turn it on, and touch the psu or case and that will discharge you.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sout posted:

I know how to apply thermal paste is a hot, strongly debated issue (or something), but I'm curious about the process of removing old thermal paste before applying this new cooler.
The general advice is to use some sort of alcohol and wipes, what's good/cheap for this?
Also if I'm using an anti-static wristband with stuff outside of the case what do I clip it onto?

90% or stronger isopropyl and coffee filters, paper towel and tissue paper can leave particles behind. Microfiber should be OK but just use coffee filters.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Man looking back, I didn't even get my 3930K for a sale or anything when I pulled the trigger. $599 + 359 for the 3930K and P9X79 Deluxe back when.

Was a pricey bugger, but man has it served me well and while I am tempted to upgrade all the time, I think I can hold out another 2 years at least. GPU upgrade are the only thing that I can see myself needing as the 980Ti still gets pegged in VR and in Overwatch (with its Res Scaling) trying to hold 90FPS.

Overwatch is just a DX11 game right? Watching my CPU usage as I play has it using all 12 threads to total around 25-30% usage while throwing the 980Ti to 99% load pretty much the entire time. Running into some strange Hard locks that I am trying to decipher as temps are good but it seems I am not the only one on the forums getting them either. Might pull the scaling back to see if it is full GPU load or something causing it or something else.

Give it to Blizzard though to make a pretty cleanly optimized game, and have some random thing about it show me some part of my system may be unstable that nothing else does. (Back in the C2Q 9550 days, World of Warcraft's beta installer was showing errors on the hash checks that revealed that my Ram OC was unstable. After researching it and discovering some OC math I didn't know about, not only did I fix it but made my system even faster to boot. Was the only thing that showed the system as unstable however which was pretty strange).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Paul MaudDib posted:

paper towel and tissue paper can leave particles behind.

While this may technically be true, i wouldn't make a trip to buy coffee filters unless I had them laying around. Tissues and paper towels arn't going to leave any significant particles that would have any effect on anything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mayodreams posted:

Too bad that chart does not show how AMD is curb stomped on single thread performance even with their 'massive improvement' in generational performance.

I am still rooting for Zen to be competitive, but that chart is marketing bullshit.

It reminds me of when, back in 2006 as Apple was breaking out of their lowest share of the computer market since 1977 (they'd dropped to around 2% in the last part of the PowerPC era), they started putting out press releases of how they were growing faster than the Windows PC market!!

And it's like, yeah, it's easy to post very good percentage growth when you're finally crawling out of rock bottom!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

While this may technically be true, i wouldn't make a trip to buy coffee filters unless I had them laying around. Tissues and paper towels arn't going to leave any significant particles that would have any effect on anything.

Exactly. I use this and usually just damp it with a little water to get the majority of the grime off from old stuff before using some alcohol to clear up anything that may be left. Outside of that, anything left behind is splitting hairs. Some good TIM should work just fine even if the surface isn't lapped clean as some would make you believe.

Though I have switched to IC Diamond from using AS5 for all the years past. Not sure how much improved it is, but it seems to look better after a long period than the AS5 does when you disassemble.

I do think I need to upgrade from my H100 to something a bit better though. It cools good enough, but I feel they have made some vast improvements to the closed loop coolers since I got mine back in 2011. That and the stock fans for it are loud and uncontrollable without clicking the button on the pump physically, or buying that Corsair control crap they required with the first gen H series. Is the H100i worth it or are there better 240 kits out there that would fit in the same space?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Got mine for about $150 earlier this year. A complete PC, that is, as an upgrade for a C2Q system. Still running strong with a GTX650 Ti Boost :v:

Aanyway looks like Intel's hosed now:

Is that for real? Is there anyone who won't know that even with those growths, AMD is (maybe) catching up to previous generations?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

fishmech posted:

It reminds me of when, back in 2006 as Apple was breaking out of their lowest share of the computer market since 1977 (they'd dropped to around 2% in the last part of the PowerPC era), they started putting out press releases of how they were growing faster than the Windows PC market!!

And it's like, yeah, it's easy to post very good percentage growth when you're finally crawling out of rock bottom!

This is the year of the Linux desktop

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

canyoneer posted:

This is the year of the Linux desktop
Yep

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xarn posted:

Is that for real? Is there anyone who won't know that even with those growths, AMD is (maybe) catching up to previous generations?

Well it's a real AMD slide as far as I can tell. But I posted it ironically of course, it's absolutely obviously ridiculous and I have no idea what they hell they were thinking when they made and showed it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Well it's a real AMD slide as far as I can tell. But I posted it ironically of course, it's absolutely obviously ridiculous and I have no idea what they hell they were thinking when they made and showed it.

I didn't think that you took it seriously, but rather wondered whether it was actual AMD slide, or photoshop/out of context joke, because its too dumb to be serious.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

nothing is too stupid for AMD marketing

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its easy to get huge performance increases when your starting point is poo poo

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Got mine for about $150 earlier this year. A complete PC, that is, as an upgrade for a C2Q system. Still running strong with a GTX650 Ti Boost :v:

you know how it was always the less academically able kids at school who got the 'most improved' sticker? same applies here

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Looking to upgrade my H100 to something newer as it is getting up there in age and with my current 3930K 4.6Ghz OC its hitting the upper 70Cs when encoding, and it's just a noisy bugger to boot. (fans push some air, but are just loud all the time.)

My 500R can fit the bigger 280 H110/115 but what the hell is the difference between the H110i/H110 GT/H110 GTX/H115/ETC. The H110 GT seems to have really good performance and reviews, the GTX is said to be a bit quieter, the 115 is what then? Bigger?

Soo confused. They had the H100/H80/H60/H50 back when I got it and my 500R in 2011, now its just a confusing numbers naming scheme with GT/GTX crap thrown in now. Ugh.

Does anyone have any experience with the H110/H115 here on a 6Core or more?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The H110 GT vs GTX are just two different manufacturers, the GTX has some sort of colored lighting while I think while people seem happier with the long term reliability of the GT, they perform about identically if I remember right. As someone who has tried the H100, H100i and a H110 and went back to a D15, if you have the space in your case for it, look into a Noctua D15 with some upgraded (up to) 3000 RPM PWM fans. It's much quieter than the H110 in normal usage and can cool much better for stress testing when I ramp up the fans.

Currently using a overclocked 5820k with a D15 with 3000 RPM temperature controlled fans that I never hear move above 800 RPM in anything but prime95, including video encoding and games simultaneously.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

mobby_6kl posted:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Overwatch is just a DX11 game right? Watching my CPU usage as I play has it using all 12 threads to total around 25-30% usage while throwing the 980Ti to 99% load pretty much the entire time. Running into some strange Hard locks that I am trying to decipher as temps are good but it seems I am not the only one on the forums getting them either. Might pull the scaling back to see if it is full GPU load or something causing it or something else.

I was going to reply to just the graph post, but now I can resolve another issue at the same time!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sincx posted:

25% increase from Haswell to Skylake seems REALLY generous. I thought it was more like 10-15%?

If even that. In a lot of gaming situations it's within a few percent.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

sincx posted:

25% increase from Haswell to Skylake seems REALLY generous. I thought it was more like 10-15%?

Just keep in mind they are comparing laptop chips, not desktop. Not sure how big of a difference that is going to make, but they haven't included anything involving actual battery life, even if all the chips on both sides are rated for 15W TDP. Plus, if they're still garbage for single thread performance, but they've improved in whatever bullshit benchmark that doesn't simulate real world work loads, then none of this matters. I believe Intel has been sacrificing total performance gains for extended battery life.

Also don't forget AMD has had no answer to the Ultrabook or Macbook for years. I'm not dismissing them completely, but I want to see real data before I even start to believe.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 7, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

I was going to reply to just the graph post, but now I can resolve another issue at the same time!

That was pretty good. 2* :golfclap:

On that note, I turned the scaling from 122% down to just 100% (for 1440P) and it seemed to drop the load on my 980Ti into the 80% range and so far no crashes. Might be time for a new PSU or possibly the PCI-E 3.0 Hack for the X79 (for SB-E Chips) could be making it just unstable enough to crash it. Hmm

Also while AMD may not have a competitive dual core Ultrabook competitor and their single core workloads are lower, if they can bring up that performance gap while remaining quad cores in mobile, couldn't that give them an edge in multitasking/multicore workloads over the Intel U chips?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Carrizo-H is already competitive in multi core workloads, it's just the things notebook users care about are largely singlethreaded, hence the problem

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also while AMD may not have a competitive dual core Ultrabook competitor and their single core workloads are lower, if they can bring up that performance gap while remaining quad cores in mobile, couldn't that give them an edge in multitasking/multicore workloads over the Intel U chips?

Do you mean offering a quad at the sub 15w U series chip level or something? Trying to beat a U series chip at multithreaded workloads seems like the most pointless exercise ever, because no one that needs something like that would be shopping for a U series equipped laptop in the first place? They'd just get a real quad core.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Do you mean offering a quad at the sub 15w U series chip level or something? Trying to beat a U series chip at multithreaded workloads seems like the most pointless exercise ever, because no one that needs something like that would be shopping for a U series equipped laptop in the first place? They'd just get a real quad core.

True for most cases, however as I posted in the GPU thread, with a U series chip in a "Gamer Ultrabooks" Being a thing that may/may not gain some momentum. New games are becoming more and more multi core hungry so it might be a niche AMD could bite into if they can gain some performance ground on the single core area as well.

Also as I work in an office with pretty much exclusive U series i5 laptops being used, a Quad Core would be an immense blessing for most everyones workload outside of just multi tab browsing. However AMD will never grace this place but I imagine other places might have similar work hardware...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Man I'd go nuts with a U series laptop for my work machine, that sucks (Of course, my *actual* work laptop is an Arrandale i5, sooo.... At least my desktop is a normal haswell quad?). I doubt any offering AMD introduces is going to change the choices that lead OEMs to favor these lowest power mobile chips in everything but "workstation" machines though.

e: Obviously we need laptops with Xeon E3-1565L v5s in them. Same cores/speeds as a mobile i7-6820HQ, but only 35w TDP instead of 45w. There are even desktop Xeon Quads with 25w TDPs. The Xeon SKUs get all the cool options.
e2: Man the u series chips really are terrible deals unless you must have nothing but battery life, god drat. The i7-6600us in various configs are about 400$ a pop, more expensive than the i7-6820HQ, and within about 15$ of the Iris Pro equipped mobile quads. Both are ~100$ more than the desktop chips too.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 7, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Can't wait for some idiot to drop $2k on a Razer Blade and another $1300 on a Razer Core and a 1080 only to realize his laptop has a U processor.

Sorry, that whole trend is still loving bullshit. Can the new architectures disable or speedstep individual cores yet? Then we could get big processors that perform well on AC but also have good battery life. Still won't fix the shittastic coolers in ultra-thin laptops, but there is that one design with disconnectable cooling (which totally won't leak and kill everything in like two years)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Xeons and -E series chips can totally disabled cores in the BIOS, but I'm not sure if that's as much a feature of the chip as it is the motherboard/chipset that it's used on?

But yea, using an E series chip and just disabling 2/4/6 of the 8 cores and adjusting clock speeds is something a lot of the benchmark sites do to more quickly simulate performance from different SKUs that they don't have on hand.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can't wait for some idiot to drop $2k on a Razer Blade and another $1300 on a Razer Core and a 1080 only to realize his laptop has a U processor.

Sorry, that whole trend is still loving bullshit. Can the new architectures disable or speedstep individual cores yet? Then we could get big processors that perform well on AC but also have good battery life. Still won't fix the shittastic coolers in ultra-thin laptops, but there is that one design with disconnectable cooling (which totally won't leak and kill everything in like two years)

For gaming and laptops that actually want to do actual multitasking, the Q series chips aren't half bad. Paired with the Laptop or now even desktop GPU's they can be pretty drat capable.

The plug in watercooling looks neato, but is only for those that have to OC or don't care to have more than 1 PC at home I guess. Also those TB3 GPU docks really need to get mass produced out of china or something quick as they are pure markup currently from Razer, etc.

Maybe someday we will get a QU chip or something in these Ultrabooks maybe.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
There are 25W Xeon quad-cores already, so I think the only thing keeping Intel from producing a i5-6***QU chip that can go into an ultrabook is that they don't think there's a sufficient market for it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

EdEddnEddy posted:

For gaming and laptops that actually want to do actual multitasking, the Q series chips aren't half bad. Paired with the Laptop or now even desktop GPU's they can be pretty drat capable.

The plug in watercooling looks neato, but is only for those that have to OC or don't care to have more than 1 PC at home I guess. Also those TB3 GPU docks really need to get mass produced out of china or something quick as they are pure markup currently from Razer, etc.

Maybe someday we will get a QU chip or something in these Ultrabooks maybe.

A new wave of TB3 docks were announced at Computex, unfortunately, only one of them looks like it might be cheaper than the core. They are still overbuilding them both in size and power rating. They add stupid things like quick charge ports, which can take up to 80W. They other thing I didn't realize is the tb3 cable charges the laptop and that needs up to 100W. I wish someone would make one with just a 350W PSU, which would leave 250W for the GPU which would cover 90% of usage cases.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eletriarnation posted:

There are 25W Xeon quad-cores already, so I think the only thing keeping Intel from producing a i5-6***QU chip that can go into an ultrabook is that they don't think there's a sufficient market for it.

I'd agree with Intel. It's not like there's a shortage of quad-core laptops, and I think that most people choosing U CPUs don't really want more CPU performance. With Skylake they introduced relatively cheap mobile i5 quad cores too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eletriarnation posted:

That's almost certainly the case. Who would the market for a half measures chip even be, anyhow? Even "brick" laptops with the full 45w quads can get over 8 hours of battery life now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

VulgarandStupid posted:

A new wave of TB3 docks were announced at Computex, unfortunately, only one of them looks like it might be cheaper than the core. They are still overbuilding them both in size and power rating. They add stupid things like quick charge ports, which can take up to 80W. They other thing I didn't realize is the tb3 cable charges the laptop and that needs up to 100W. I wish someone would make one with just a 350W PSU, which would leave 250W for the GPU which would cover 90% of usage cases.

For docks to really take off they really have to be more enticing than building a small gaming box, which currently looks unlikely all things considered.