Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like James. What's interesting about him is how he tries to overcompensate for his inferiority complex that he has from literally being buddies with gods. The general called him out as surrounding himself with important people to try and convince himself he was important, and James was really shooken by it. And he's been a good moral center, calling out the gitmo stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mortanis posted:

Nah, even in the pilot when Kara reveals herself to be Supergirl he's all "Oh THAT is why you haven't fallen in desperate love for me".

Dude's just good with computers... and sewing machines.

Some of us took home ec instead of shop class ok?!!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dude's legit cool as hell.

Too bad the Cisco web series is some garbage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Something that bothers me about the season one episode where they think they've caught the Reverse-Flash - they trap him in Cisco's force-field, unaware that it's a hologram, and then he breaks out and beats up Thawne/Wells. Later on, in the Weather Wizard episode, Cisco asks him how he was in two places at once and Thawne demonstrates his speed mirage trick. How did that work in the aforementioned scene? Was he switching between Thawne/Wells and costumed Reverse-Flash to beat himself up?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Supposedly, yes. It's a trick Flash himself has done in the comics before.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. I'm not sure how exactly it's meant to work (speed force, probably) but I guess Reverse-Flash, even if went back and forth a lot with regard to how fast he could go, was meant to be a lot faster than Barry for most of season one.

As far as speed tricks go, I think it's actually more impressive than going back in time. At least there you can say he goes so fast he breaks the "time barrier" or whatever; he's not having to switch in and out of a costume while punching himself in the face. :v:

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough. I'm not sure how exactly it's meant to work (speed force, probably) but I guess Reverse-Flash, even if went back and forth a lot with regard to how fast he could go, was meant to be a lot faster than Barry for most of season one.

As far as speed tricks go, I think it's actually more impressive than going back in time. At least there you can say he goes so fast he breaks the "time barrier" or whatever; he's not having to switch in and out of a costume while punching himself in the face. :v:

It all depends on how brightly lit he was. If he could get 20x spots on himself and be in each position 1/20th of the time, he'd have 9/10ths of the time to move and switch costumes. It'd just look weird because of the lack of blur, but you'd definitely write that off. The real question is, how'd he get those lights set up without anyone noticing?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

greatn posted:

I like James. What's interesting about him is how he tries to overcompensate for his inferiority complex that he has from literally being buddies with gods. The general called him out as surrounding himself with important people to try and convince himself he was important, and James was really shooken by it. And he's been a good moral center, calling out the gitmo stuff.

I like James for this reason as well. Also I think the Flash parallel is cute, and Winn is a total nice guy creeper that makes my skin crawl.

I hope they give Iris/James stuff to do in the crossovers. It would be cool to see them do some investigating together and bonding over what it's like to be in love with two very powerful nerds. He'd be a much better mentor than other dude that got shipped off with Patty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Winn was a nice guy creeper, but grew out of it in the second half of the season, which I think was the show runners course correcting.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thanks to whomever it was that recommended Supergirl. Some parts seem to be written by someone who considers dark corners of tumblr to be a religion, but if I skip through those there's a pretty enjoyable show there with some cool scenes, cheers.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

greatn posted:

I think Winn was a nice guy creeper, but grew out of it in the second half of the season, which I think was the show runners course correcting.

I know that he has improved but he's never really grown out of it and I can see it looming overhead just waiting to be brought back up again, if that makes sense.

Its like when you tell a guy, No, Let's just be friends, and things are cool for awhile and you think thats in the past but lo and behold that poo poo comes right back up.

Especially now that they are on the CW and love triangles are their bread and butter and every fanboy racist can't wait to push the white leads together. (Go ahead, ask me about racism in the flarrow fandom because it's insane.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We're in the Flash thread, we don't need to.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Flash thread, ain't gotta argue poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MiddleOne posted:

Flash thread, ain't gotta argue poo poo.

postforce

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought that it was pretty clear that the reverse flash in the forcefield was a hologram. Cisco turned it on in another episode and got murdered for figuring it out.

Basically all Thawne had to do was get pretend beat up, which is pretty easy when you can move at what is apparently light speed for the plots sake. He smashes himself a few good times and that's the end of it. All while no one can actually see how fast he's moving. I can't remember if Barry was in the room, but if he was then arguably he should've been able to perceive it, but at some point this is a comic book show.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah I don't get what the endless debate about that scene is... he was never in two places, the man in the yellow suit was always a hologram.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just realized that, going by the comics version of Flashpoint, when Barry gets back to a non-hosed up timeline, Wally will be ginger.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah, that would just be a different Wally West...like, just someone else in the same universe and with the same name. His distant cousin or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pile of brown posted:

Yeah I don't get what the endless debate about that scene is... he was never in two places, the man in the yellow suit was always a hologram.

In show I believe they said otherwise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

When? Did you miss the episode where Cisco activates it and shortly after Wells kills him?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

greatn posted:

For some reason I had it in my head that was him twinning himself, also. I have season 1 on iTunes and I just pulled it up to verify. It was a hologram.

Episode 15, "Out of Time" @ 34:15

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The episode where Cisco pulled up the hologram he did also demonstrates that he could be in two places at once, but you literally wouldn't have seen that without also seeing the hologram. I think he may do the "two places at once" trick in response to some inconsistency Cisco points out, otherwise you totally see a hologram recording, it was basically the big reveal to the team (until it gets immediately erased)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I thought the hologram only did the looped conversation right up until he breaks out of the force field and seems to attack Wells, because when Cisco asks him how he was in two places at once, that's when Thawne demonstrates the speed mirage to explain (in this scene). So I assumed that Thawne was moving impossibly fast to attack himself with his own speed mirage, rather than using a hologram that was programmed to attack him or something like that.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

The original plan for Winn was that he was gay, right? I mean, the scene where he makes different outfits for Supergirl just screams "gay friend" to me. Especially when she comes out in the middriff baring outfit, and she's like "I can't wear this" instead of "gross, you perv", I can't imagine they thought Winn had a crush on her at that point.

I agree with the others that he was her Jorah Mormont from ep 1, but I always felt like they could have made him her gay best friend really easily, without changing a lot about the character.

1) The show seems severely lacking in LGBT representation (unless I'm right about Alex), which weirds me out.

2) Instead of dumbass love triangles, she could have just went full-speed after that good James Olsen dick.

3) While he would have played a little into stereotypes, he could be basically the same character, except he could stop doing that annoying "OH NO I ACTED UNMANLY" thing he sometimes does.

But then again, CBS has always been "TV for the coffin dodger crowd" so maybe the execs thought that having a "queer boy on the tee-vee screen" might make grandma soil her mumu or write an angry letter or something.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hermetic posted:

I agree with the others that he was her Jorah Mormont from ep 1, but I always felt like they could have made him her gay best friend really easily, without changing a lot about the character.

1) The show seems severely lacking in LGBT representation (unless I'm right about Alex), which weirds me out.

2) Instead of dumbass love triangles, she could have just went full-speed after that good James Olsen dick.

3) While he would have played a little into stereotypes, he could be basically the same character, except he could stop doing that annoying "OH NO I ACTED UNMANLY" thing he sometimes does.

But then again, CBS has always been "TV for the coffin dodger crowd" so maybe the execs thought that having a "queer boy on the tee-vee screen" might make grandma soil her mumu or write an angry letter or something.

Plot twist: Jimmy is the one that is gay

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

That's the one.

It's also worth noting that Melissa Benoist can be the complete opposite of cute, too.

I also want to point out how much better Benoist's yelling face is compared to Katie Cassidy's.

Lmao:

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Hermetic posted:

LOL the CW casts tend to be absurdly disproportionate in favor of that sort of representation. Not everyone can be minority twinks with potty room issues dear.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The LGBT population is only like 3% or so in the US.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He can't get with Supergirl because he's super gay for Superman.

teagone posted:

I also want to point out how much better Benoist's yelling face is compared to Katie Cassidy's.

Lmao:

It's because Katie Cassidy is lady Bruce Campbell.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't it like ten? I've heard just LGs are %10 before you even get to Bs and Ts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Isn't it like ten? I've heard just LGs are %10 before you even get to Bs and Ts

You're thinking of lefties.

(There's a bit of a range. Anonymous polls tend to skew higher.)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

Ratio on Earth 3 could be different.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The actual number is REALLY hard to pin down due to things like; it is based on self identifying, do bisexuals in a monogamous opp-sex relationship count, what if you just experimented a little in college, etc.
I've seen the number range from 2% to 20%.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There should be a sandwich restaurant owned and operated by a gay dude called "GBLTs"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Put some quinoa on that sandwich for inclusiveness.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BrianWilly posted:

Nah, that would just be a different Wally West...like, just someone else in the same universe and with the same name. His distant cousin or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5FRPfGiC8

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Whizbang posted:

Put some quinoa on that sandwich for inclusiveness.

And some ingredient that starts with A, but people argue over what it is and it can't be said for sure.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or they both are. I mean, it makes Kara the awkward third wheel, but I'd deal with it for that.

TEAH SYAG posted:

LOL the CW casts tend to be absurdly disproportionate in favor of that sort of representation. Not everyone can be minority twinks with potty room issues dear.

I think you'd be more comfortable on an edgy and rational site called "reddit", dear. :3:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

If the show actually went all-out on the Flashpoint adaptation (they won't), am I the only one who would want to see Ellie Kemper as The Joker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

If the show actually went all-out on the Flashpoint adaptation (they won't), am I the only one who would want to see Ellie Kemper as The Joker?

I would love it, but I don't think they're doing the whole JL flashpoint storyline, this seems very Flash centric.

• Locked thread