Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Is Prime95 just brutal on Skylakes? It caused like 20C higher temperatures than any other stress test.

(I went and bought a 6700k, trying to OC it now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yes

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Smol posted:

Is Prime95 just brutal on Skylakes? It caused like 20C higher temperatures than any other stress test.

It depends on the settings you use, but yes prime95 does more than throw "100%" load at the cpu. It's brutal on everything.

It's the best tool for making sure your overclock is stable and not going to have too high of an average temp under stress.

I'd also recommend doing other things while prime95 is running after you think it's stable. While ocing my i7 3770k I ran into a few situations where it could run prime95 for 24 hours+, but if I tried to watch a youtube video while prime95 was going or browse websites prime95 would crash or I'd blue screen. Getting the voltage settings just right was a pain.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 7, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Boiled Water posted:

For docks to really take off they really have to be more enticing than building a small gaming box, which currently looks unlikely all things considered.

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I guarantee you that if they stopped overbuilding their EGPU enclosures, they could get prices down and that would be enticing. When I say overbuilding, what I mean is, you don't need 350W set aside for a GPU. Most of the EGPU usage cases aren't going to be top of the line graphics cards, because it doesn't make sense to pair one most likely an Intel 6200U processor. I doubt anyone is going to put a 295X2 into one of these things, so they should build them with the GTX1080 or R480X as the highest card the enclosure is going to accept. That way they can cut down the size, cooling, power supply and price. It is expensive to try accommodate every possible video card, its better for PC manufacturers to try to funnel consumer choices a bit, in order to keep costs down for the majority of the market.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd agree with Intel. It's not like there's a shortage of quad-core laptops, and I think that most people choosing U CPUs don't really want more CPU performance. With Skylake they introduced relatively cheap mobile i5 quad cores too.

Yeah, and the 45W Skylake mobile quads all also have 35W configurable TDP-down. If when designing a system you really need to use less than 35W from the processor, then you should probably stick to the 15W duals because a fast dual with HT is not going to be that far behind a slow 25W quad for most tasks and will cost a lot less due to being smaller. Moreover, many consumer tasks that would really benefit from a quad are games that would also need a better GPU and that will blow out your power targets too.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 7, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, and the 45W Skylake mobile quads all also have 35W configurable TDP-down. If when designing a system you really need to use less than 35W from the processor, then you should probably stick to the 15W duals because a fast dual with HT is not going to be that far behind a slow 25W quad for most tasks and will cost a lot less due to using less silicon. Moreover, many consumer tasks that would really benefit from a quad are games that would also need a better GPU and that will blow out your power targets too.

The joke is that the duals are more expensive than the quads across the board at the moment :v:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Ah, well, today we also get an object lesson that Intel's pricing reflects what people will pay for things more than what they cost to make.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eletriarnation posted:

Ah, well, today we also get an object lesson that Intel's pricing reflects what people will pay for things more than what they cost to make.

CPUs are quite inexpensive in terms of materials and fabrication cost, no? I thought it was on the order of $20 each.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I don't know the cost of materials but I do know that yields are going to generally be worse on larger chips in the same process because you're more likely to encounter a defect as your area goes up. This is a big factor in the early days of a process when defects are more common, but I'm betting that at this point 14nm is pretty well worked out. This is especially true now that they're putting out 22-core Broadwell Xeons, so yields on quad-cores are probably great.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
6700k @ 4.6 temps hovering around 65-75 while stress testing sound about right? No idea what this platform usually does.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Smol posted:

6700k @ 4.6 temps hovering around 65-75 while stress testing sound about right? No idea what this platform usually does.

You are safe till 105c

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not really sure what you're saying,

Essentially: If an enclosure costs $600 sans graphics card and building a whole computer sans graphics card costs me less, then why should I ever bother looking at enclosures?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Essentially: If an enclosure costs $600 sans graphics card and building a whole computer sans graphics card costs me less, then why should I ever bother looking at enclosures?

Exactly.

And considering all whats inside even the most fancy shmancy enclosure so far, there is no reason for it to cost even half that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Boiled Water posted:

I've been saying the same thing, too. But I'm not primarily a laptop user. They need to come down in price, then they will be an attractive option for laptop users.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've been saying the same thing, too. But I'm not primarily a laptop user. They need to come down in price, then they will be an attractive option for laptop users.

As primarily a laptop user I don't see the appeal. It's the same thing that should be nice about gaming laptops. However, as stated in the SH/SC thread on laptops: Gaming on the go is a unicorn. I mean sure some people just wanna chase that dragon but for most people reality sets in before buying it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also with new laptops like the Asus Strix and Gigabyte Aero coming into play in the 14-15" range that are near ultrabook size while having the power of those 17.3" beast of the past, especially when the Nvidia mobile (or desktop even) 1070/1080 build start dropping, the Ultrabook + Dock setup looses its appeal.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

As primarily a laptop user I don't see the appeal. It's the same thing that should be nice about gaming laptops. However, as stated in the SH/SC thread on laptops: Gaming on the go is a unicorn. I mean sure some people just wanna chase that dragon but for most people reality sets in before buying it.

If gaming laptops weren't huge, gaudy monstrosities, there would be plenty more of them in consumer hands. But the appeal of an ultrabook and eGPU combo is that you're productive on the go, and can game at home. It won't be quite the top level gaming experience, but better for many consumers than owning two machines. I don't think there will be a high percentage of users taking their eGPU with them when they go somewhere but, there are enough docking stations out there to tell you that this is some what of a big deal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Subjunctive posted:

CPUs are quite inexpensive in terms of materials and fabrication cost, no? I thought it was on the order of $20 each.

I don't think so.
Intel's gross margin is in the low 60% range, meaning their cost of goods sold is in the high 30% range of revenue.
On average, a part selling for $200 (wholesale) would cost $60ish or so in materials/fabrication cost. Of course, they've got different profit margins across different product lines, probably some with margins above 60% and probably some below 60%.

That's not even considering what it costs to invent, develop, market, sell, and support the product, which is about another half of the gross profit.

http://www.intc.com/results.cfm

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Subjunctive posted:

Sand is cheap, fabs are not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rare metals often sourced from locations with endless war, monstrously toxic chemicals with expensive storage and disposal, delicate multi-million-dollar fabrication gas chambers or etchers or whatever else in rows upon rows upon rows...

If you ever get a chance to tour a fabrication facility's floor, take it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PCjr sidecar posted:

Sand is cheap, fabs are not.

The actual cost of fabrication is cheap. The cost of developing a new node and building a fab for it is monstrously expensive, just like it's monstrously expensive to design a CPU and get litho masks made for it.

The first hamburger costs a million dollars, after that they're fifteen cents.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Smol posted:

The newest versions of P95 use the new avx instructions which apparently transform skylakes into space heaters. I have read that it is better to use v26.6 for more reasonable temps since few real world situations utilize avx 2.0 or whatever it is that drives skylake to run crazy hot. This resulted in a ~20 degree drop for me at 4.7GHz and 1.32V on my 6700k.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
AVX instructions cranking the heat up to 11 isn't just a Skylake thing, either, all the chips that support AVX throttle down more when using them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What uses AVX instructions in real-world workloads?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Finding prime numbers of 2n-1 form? :downs:

Seriously though, is prime95 a good benchmark for any kind of performance other than thermal load?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 9, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Now considering AVX is the new Intel Instructions for "stuff" wouldn't it being used at that level be the chip getting hot because it is actually working hard (If say it was ever used for something like encoding)? How efficiently it is working is another test I guess.

Also on my cooler note, turns out I was just running the H100 on level 2 instead of 3 so once I could reach in and hit the button on the pump, level 3 is a good bit louder, but dropped my max temps from 80Cish to 68ish so far.

Now nothing in my case should go above 70C at load which makes me happy even though I'd like something quieter.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

Libyuv, used by hangouts and chrome for software encode/decode will use it if it's available, and fall back to ssse3 or sse2 if necessary.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Libyuv, used by hangouts and chrome for software encode/decode will use it if it's available, and fall back to ssse3 or sse2 if necessary.

Interesting. I thought that recently there had been a huge push to use dedicated h264 / h265 / vp9 hardware encode / decode. I guess that Intel stuff doesn't have hardware VP9 encode and google loves vp9, so software encoding still matters.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Twerk from Home posted:

I think PSCX2 will use AVX if you tell it to.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Potato Salad posted:

Rare metals often sourced from locations with endless war, monstrously toxic chemicals with expensive storage and disposal, delicate multi-million-dollar fabrication gas chambers or etchers or whatever else in rows upon rows upon rows...

If you ever get a chance to tour a fabrication facility's floor, take it.

I interned at a plant that built steering racks in highschool. The hermetically sealed cell that built stuff for the (then-super secret, hadn't-been-revealed-yet) Camaro was awesome. I can only imagine the PPE requirements to work in a fab.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

havenwaters posted:

I think PSCX2 will use AVX if you tell it to.

I looked up someone's tests and you can use it but there's not much benefit over SSE4.1.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 9, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SuperDucky posted:

I interned at a plant that built steering racks in highschool. The hermetically sealed cell that built stuff for the (then-super secret, hadn't-been-revealed-yet) Camaro was awesome. I can only imagine the PPE requirements to work in a fab.

Well there is also the Intel ARK that shows that the materials used to make said products come from "Conflict Free" locations, so there is that too now.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Potato Salad posted:

Seriously though, is prime95 a good benchmark for any kind of performance other than thermal load?

Prime95 uses FFTs to implement large integer multiplication and FFTs are used in a wide variety of scientific and engineering applications.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MaxxBot posted:

Prime95 uses FFTs to implement large integer multiplication and FFTs are used in a wide variety of scientific and engineering applications.

So basically you can use Prime95 to test your overclocking in a situation where you would not be overclocking.

A while ago I read a comment that you shouldn't use P95 to test your OC and I understood the argument in the way, that if you limit your OC to where Prime95 is stable you will not get full power out of your CPU. You can OC to a degree where P95 is crashing or causing the CPU to thermal throttle, but games or anything else you do would still work perfectly at that stage.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
How does Prime95 compare to using something like IntelBurnTest to set an OC?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Instant Sunrise posted:

How does Prime95 compare to using something like IntelBurnTest to set an OC?

Intel Burn Test itself isn't completely reliable- The 3770k I had was fine running IBT, but would BSOD when encoding a video in Premier.

The reality is that most people's OCs probably have hidden landmines of some form of instability waiting there, because none of us can or care to obviously run the type of tests that are able to conclusively determine full OCed functionality. But if it works most of the time or for any of the programs that we do use, good enough!

Re: AVX, I thought the reason that use of those instructions caused so much extra heat was that it was just a matter of the die space devoted to implementing them- More area with current running through it, more heat cranked out.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For OC Testing I just defaulted to OCCT which seems to have the most reliable results as long as you move the Stop Temps up a bit. Good way to find bad ram too apparently.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

Re: AVX, I thought the reason that use of those instructions caused so much extra heat was that it was just a matter of the die space devoted to implementing them- More area with current running through it, more heat cranked out.

Pedantic response, but generally instructions don't activate their own die space, but get decoded down into execution units. I doubt they have significant additional execution units devoted to only these instructions, but it is quite possible that these instructions allow many more execution units to fire on a set of data at the same time, which would drive power consumption and heat.

*Checks Wikipedia*, yeah, wider bus plus additional operand commands for execution. Yeah, that'd light up more of the execution units.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Potato Salad posted:

Absolutely not, Prime95 SmallFFT is basically a power virus - it runs drastically hotter than any real-world workload, and in extreme cases it may actually damage your processor. Not that I would worry about a 10 minute test run but I wouldn't leave a machine doing it nonstop for hours as a stability test or anything. Thermal throttling will probably catch any problems before they get too bad, but SmallFFT generates a fuckload of heat in some specific units and who knows if the thermal measurement points are close enough to catch a localized hotspot in time? It's just too much of a risky test unless you have a good reason, it's not like there aren't other burn-in programs or benchmarks or whatever.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gwaihir posted:

Intel Burn Test itself isn't completely reliable- The 3770k I had was fine running IBT, but would BSOD when encoding a video in Premier.

The reality is that most people's OCs probably have hidden landmines of some form of instability waiting there, because none of us can or care to obviously run the type of tests that are able to conclusively determine full OCed functionality. But if it works most of the time or for any of the programs that we do use, good enough!

This is totally correct and it really does take some time to be confident that an OC is really totally stable. Not every workload stresses every functional unit to the max (that's probably impossible, actually) and you never know when the combination of unit X and total load Y is going to cause enough ripple or droop or something to gently caress up unit Z. Or, such is my understanding. I actually don't like generating data for archival purposes (things like video encoding or audio recompression) while overclocked.

I've run into it on my 780 Ti, some workloads would barf at 1 GHz while others would happily crank along 200mhz faster.