Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
got a Focus ST a while ago and getting stuck behind a slow driver on a windy country road is probably the form that my time in Purgatory will take after I pass on to the next life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

RFC2324 posted:

As far as cell phones, I think the already existing laws just need to be enforced. Its hard to take them seriously when you see people nearly hit a cop because they are on the phone, and the cop just shrugs and goes to buy more donuts.

I've literally seen the chief of police rolling around town on his cell phone in his special marked chief SUV. In Florida being on your cell phone is a secondary offense, so you can't be pulled over for being on the phone. You can be ticketed for being on the phone if they pull you over for something else though, like not wearing your seatbelt or speeding.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I've literally seen the chief of police rolling around town on his cell phone in his special marked chief SUV. In Florida being on your cell phone is a secondary offense, so you can't be pulled over for being on the phone. You can be ticketed for being on the phone if they pull you over for something else though, like not wearing your seatbelt or speeding.

In my current town the Chief of Police and the only judge are married. This town is so crooked.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

Interesting. Wish what I saw was that ambiguous: I saw either people making a right honking at left turners moving into a completely different, legal lane, or right turners honking at people making legal u-turns that had to go over into the rightmost lane a little.

Still good to know, though, thanks

You should also be aware that in some other states you are mandated to turn into the nearest lane and make lane charges afterward, so California is actually very lenient about this. It amounts to the same driving in practice but I prefer the way other states phrase the rules because it makes it apparent that a bad lane change is the issue, not a turn into a different lane, whereas the California way of putting it confuses people with a green arrow who think they have rights to any lane they want. The reason other states have it this way, of course, is that there's sometimes no way for a right turning person to know if the left turner has a green arrow or not (sometimes it's obvious but if it's just one car making a left how do you know unless you've memorized the sequence at that intersection?), and right of way is useless if both people aren't able to know who has it.

I would not honk at someone turning left into my lane when I was turning right unless they didn't see me there (but in that case I wouldn't turn to begin with -- I jam into the right lane all the time when other people want to go into it on their arrow and have a free lane to do it into but I always do it in such a way that I either have eye contact so I know they know I'm coming or so I'm in between cars so I have a good shot to make room to avoid them swinging into me), I would probably honk at someone swinging into my lane on a U-turn if they weren't obviously doing it timed behind it in front of me.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 7, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The worst is when someone switches to an empty lane when approaching a red light and then they don't go when the light turns green.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The worst is when they don't go when the light turns green.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Sheep-Goats posted:

You should also be aware that in some other states you are mandated to turn into the nearest lane and make lane charges afterward, so California is actually very lenient about this.

... is this not the way it is everywhere?

I mean CA is lax about things like that but that's just because it is CA. We roll at stops too, that doesn't mean it is legal.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Interesting. Wish what I saw was that ambiguous: I saw either people making a right honking at left turners moving into a completely different, legal lane, or right turners honking at people making legal u-turns that had to go over into the rightmost lane a little.

And for what it's worth, this sucks and it isn't just fine. What happens if the person going straight changes lanes right when you decide you can sneak into a farther lane because hey no one there.

Seen two accidents happen like that.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 7, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lordblytzkrieg posted:

this is because cops prefer to use their cells to communicate with eachother instead of the radio since dispatch transcripts are all recorded and available for law talkin guys and sometimes the public to read

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Roylicious posted:

I mean CA is lax about things like that but that's just because it is CA. We roll at stops too, that doesn't mean it is legal.

And for what it's worth, this sucks and it isn't just fine. What happens if the person going straight changes lanes right when you decide you can sneak into a farther lane because hey no one there.

Seen two accidents happen like that.

Nobody was going straight in the scenarios. Hard to explain without diagrams: either person making a u turn and person 90 degrees to their left making a right turn, or person making a left turn and person going the other direction making a right

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

How does honking indicate intention?!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You should only ever have to brake to stop for signs or signals or to not hit people who are driving wrong. You shouldn't ever have to brake when you're just driving. You should be able to look at what's coming along the road and adjust your use of the gas pedal to traverse any section of the road at an appropriate speed. A good fast speed, or at the very least, one that keeps up with traffic.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Darth123123 posted:

How does honking indicate intention?!

The image caption is poor, but when driving on narrow curvy roads, it's common practice to honk your horn when approaching a curve. It's to let someone that might be on the other side of the curve going in the opposite direction know you are there :D

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

cheerfullydrab posted:

You should only ever have to brake to stop for signs or signals or to not hit people who are driving wrong. You shouldn't ever have to brake when you're just driving. You should be able to look at what's coming along the road and adjust your use of the gas pedal to traverse any section of the road at an appropriate speed. A good fast speed, or at the very least, one that keeps up with traffic.

ya, but alternatively, have you tried rapidly accelerating and then braking for no reason???

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
lol just lol if you dont take off as fast as possible to beat all the other drivers. This includes the opposite side of traffic if its going straight.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

lol what an easy way to get shot

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cheerfullydrab posted:

One of my cars takes 2+ miles to drop from 50 to 45. Sometimes you need to tap the brake to lose a few mph.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I imagine some automatic transmissions just love to stay in the overdrive gear for fuel efficiency purposes and will sorta keep rollin' yeah

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I bought my car in the Middle East so actually it's set up to continuously honk unless I press the button on the steering wheel.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

What do you do at the first corner

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

not brake? you shouldnt have to brake to slightly turn your wheel a couple degrees

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I drive on a road everyday that's got a steep downhill slope into a sharp curve. The speed limit is 35 (I usually go 45 because gently caress you), and if you don't ride the brake, you'd be doing 60 into that turn.

This is also a road that has an undrepass under train tracks that's at the apex of a U-turn and only has 11' clearance. They put up signs with little orange and white whirly-gig things to grab attention that say no loving semis but once a month a semi goes down the road and gets stuck and the truck driver has to wait for the cops to guide him out while all the other drivers tell him to gently caress his mother and kill himself.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

-S- posted:

not brake? you shouldnt have to brake to slightly turn your wheel a couple degrees

Get off the road grandma

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Cthulu Carl posted:

I drive on a road everyday that's got a steep downhill slope into a sharp curve. The speed limit is 35 (I usually go 45 because gently caress you), and if you don't ride the brake, you'd be doing 60 into that turn..

Then take it at 60, bitchboy

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
supposedly its legal in VA to do that thing where to pull into an intersection when waiting to turn while the lights red

unsurprisingly this seems to be the cause of a lot of accidents

just sit at the stop sign line you mother fuckers

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I imagine some automatic transmissions just love to stay in the overdrive gear for fuel efficiency purposes and will sorta keep rollin' yeah

My '91 Ford was like this. Would go forever with my foot off.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Drunk Nerds posted:

Also, you're bitching about a 2% sales tax hike to improve roadways. Smdh if this isnt a troll. If it makes you feel better consider it a stupid tax for people in your area refusing to understand the above.

It's an already a poor area of the country that also has a lot of homelessness and hunger issues. Anything that raises the price of basic goods for the little guy is quite onerous. In the city's defense, they are clearing up most of the traffic problems, bit by bit. Shame about them cutting the funding they had to help the homeless (a growing number of them teens or slightly older) and then actively driving them into the woods so downtown looks nice.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Relin posted:

supposedly its legal in VA to do that thing where to pull into an intersection when waiting to turn while the lights red

gently caress waiting 6 light cycles.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It is amazing to me that MN made the pull out into the intersection while waiting to turn left thing illegal as when I took driver's ed there (like 15 years ago) they drilled it into our head again and again - TAKE CONTROL OF THE INTERSECTION WHILE WAITING TO TURN LEFT! like they literally yelled that at us every day. then the state patrol goes and makes it illegal lmao what??

They also drilled into our heads DONT YOU EVER loving BRAKE WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT GET THAT poo poo AS FAR LEFT AS POSSIBLE UNLESS YOU HAVE A CLUTCH but most people probably didn't pay attention i guess

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's an already a poor area of the country that also has a lot of homelessness and hunger issues. Anything that raises the price of basic goods for the little guy is quite onerous. In the city's defense, they are clearing up most of the traffic problems, bit by bit. Shame about them cutting the funding they had to help the homeless (a growing number of them teens or slightly older) and then actively driving them into the woods so downtown looks nice.

Fair enough.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

This post confuses me:
- Are you talking about a stop sign or stop light?
- You do realize, we're taking about pulling into an intersection when the light's green, right?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

It is amazing to me that MN made the pull out into the intersection while waiting to turn left thing illegal as when I took driver's ed there (like 15 years ago) they drilled it into our head again and again - TAKE CONTROL OF THE INTERSECTION WHILE WAITING TO TURN LEFT! like they literally yelled that at us every day. then the state patrol goes and makes it illegal lmao what??

They also drilled into our heads DONT YOU EVER loving BRAKE WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT GET THAT poo poo AS FAR LEFT AS POSSIBLE UNLESS YOU HAVE A CLUTCH but most people probably didn't pay attention i guess

I remember my driving instructor (in California) drilling into our heads DON'T SLOW DOWN WHEN YOU WANT TO CHANGE LANES - MATCH THE SPEED OF THE OTHER LANE. Fools that didn't learn this lesson struggle for miles trying to change lanes, vainly hoping someone will slow down to let their visibly slothful rear end in front of them.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Drunk Nerds posted:

This post confuses me:
- Are you talking about a stop sign or stop light?
- You do realize, we're taking about pulling into an intersection when the light's green, right?
i can see how it would confuse due to how i worded it but i mean pulling into the intersection on a left turn at a light (while green/yellow) then sitting in the middle of the 4 way intersection while you wait to turn left, now during a red light

Relin fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 9, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Wizchine posted:

I remember my driving instructor (in California) drilling into our heads DON'T SLOW DOWN WHEN YOU WANT TO CHANGE LANES - MATCH THE SPEED OF THE OTHER LANE. Fools that didn't learn this lesson struggle for miles trying to change lanes, vainly hoping someone will slow down to let their visibly slothful rear end in front of them.

How does that work when you're in a bumper to bumper slow lane but you want to get into the fast moving lame next to you? You gotta slow down until enough space opens up in front of you to let you get a running start.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Yall sound like a bunch of millennial drivers

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

I thought it was but before I posted I checked and in California you are technically allowed to Calhoun into any lane you want on a left turn so long as no one is in the way

This is fine in spirit but leads to people making lefts thinking they have the right to interfere with the traffic flow of people turning right into the near lane when there's a lane they could turn into and not cause other drivers problems.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

i can see how it would confuse due to how i worded it but i mean pulling into the intersection on a left turn at a light (while green/yellow) then sitting in the middle of the 4 way intersection while you wait to turn left, now during a red light

You're supposed to do that dumbass. You have plenty of time to go left once oncoming traffic stops due to their red, as do the two or three people in the intersection behind you. You're loving everything up waiting to turn left from behind the line like a pee drinking woman

Doing this causes no accidents.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 9, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cheerfullydrab posted:

No, you should be using your brake regularly in traffic. If you aren't you're stringing enough slack into the lineup that its going to gently caress up traffic behind you.

If it's night and there's no traffic you can see that you'll hit the red way down the road and just stop giving your car gas. If there's traffic you need to do the speed limit and catch up to it to make volume on the road for other cars behind you to fill.

People who drive the way you do are what causes most traffic congestion to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

No, you should be using your brake regularly in traffic. If you aren't you're stringing enough slack into the lineup that its going to gently caress up traffic behind you.

If it's night and there's no traffic you can see that you'll hit the red way down the road and just stop giving your car gas. If there's traffic you need to do the speed limit and catch up to it to make volume on the road for other cars behind you to fill.

People who drive the way you do are what causes most traffic congestion to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13402-shockwave-traffic-jam-recreated-for-first-time/

thanks thats really interesting and confirms my suspicion that slow rear end idiot fucks are the ones causing all the problems and they should pull the gently caress over or catch a bus

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

darkhand posted:

cars don't honk, people honk
Google's working on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Relin posted:

wait people will just drive into the middle of the intersection even though the light's red? morons.

• Locked thread