Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Geop posted:

I... I didn't know Pete & Darth Maul were the same person :staredog:

Well Darth Maul never talked so I don't think anyone knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

geop gets his revenge on the barrels

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Regarding secret doors, here's a useful note on them: Since most of them are opened by pressing X in front of them like a normal door (notable exception to the pharros lockstone doors as you found out in this same episode), this means that player messages actually can't be placed too closely in front of them. If a message is pointing to a secret door and it's right up against a wall, that means either it's bullshit or the actual secret door is a little further away.

Why Dark Souls 2 changes how you pop open secret doors is well beyond me, but at least this bit of meta-game knowledge should be helpful. Also, I think the only thing behind that missed secret door was the sorceror's starting catalyst.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I think DS2 though it was clever with hidden switches opening hidden doors like one of the Thief games or something, but its more like in Doom with smashing the action key while rubbing you're face against every wall (minus the grunting) to find every secret door. Either way hidden doors are silly, but I'm okay with them when they don't hide entire levels behind them.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I spent like 10 minutes trying to find that catalyst even though I had looked up exactly where it was at. It wasn't until I saw an actual video of someone finding the hidden passages that I stopped randomly swinging at the walls. And yeah, it basically just turned the game into me clearing a room and then mashing my face against the walls pressing x.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i never needed to do that since messages always pointed me to the hidden walls. except the times when the messages were fake :argh:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hostile V posted:

:kimchi: I was not aware. That's great.

Search for any of his pre release interviews for Dark souls 2, man seems to genuinely love this.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think Pate doesn't leave the forest until he gives you the soapstone. You don't even have to survive that bumrush to get it either; my last attempt at it ended very poorly but Pate acted like I survived the encounter and gave me the gift of Jolly Cooperation anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah I don't think Pate knows how undead work, he's all surprised that you got out of it. Yeah no poo poo guy, we respawn.

Another fact: Peter S voiced all the male player's grunts! So basically we're all Pate.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Dabir posted:

Yeah I don't think Pate knows how undead work, he's all surprised that you got out of it. Yeah no poo poo guy, we respawn.

Another fact: Peter S voiced all the male player's grunts! So basically we're all Pate.

Excuse me but I only play my meticilously handcrafted waifu. :colbert:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm actually pretty sure you actually can't hit pharros invisible walls without using a lockstone.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm actually pretty sure you actually can't hit pharros invisible walls without using a lockstone.
You 100% need the Lockstone. It's actually super dumb that you will probably encounter this one way before an actual illusory wall that's at least somewhat obvious, because it led to me banging on every suspicious wall - even ones which actually were illusory - until I finally caved and looked up if the game even had non-Pharros walls. It's not only strange that they changed their activation from roll through them/hit them, the game actively teaches you to hit walls to open them, just, you know, not all of them. There's even another "hit to open" wall later (which is semi-obvious from its texture) to further cement that in DS2, you also only have to hit walls to open them :downs:.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Could you roll through illusionary walls in DkS instead of hitting them? I know that is A Thing in DS3, but I was not aware of it until recently.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

KieranWalker posted:

Could you roll through illusionary walls in DkS instead of hitting them? I know that is A Thing in DS3, but I was not aware of it until recently.
I Tried Rolling in DS3 because I saw people do it in DS1 (never realized it myself), so I'm pretty sure that yes.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You totally can in DaS1.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Sorry for the poo poo quality on the third one, had to just grab the image from the youtube video. Ds1's elite knight is on the top, its pretty similar, it just looks a lot less bulky, in my opinion.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm gonna say it's the colors and how the DaS2 version looks a lot more saturated compared to the relatively muted DaS1 version.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DS2's version makes the wearer look chuftier, to me. That's the main thing that threw me off, when I looked at footage. DS1's armor looks more sleek/trim.

Too many estus flasks; those things are loaded with sugar.

Alternatively, maybe the fact that Goonther has a normal-sized helmet is just throwing me off because THE PROPORTIONS AIN'T RIGHT MAN.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I love me some Esto Cooler.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Geop posted:

DS2's version makes the wearer look chuftier, to me. That's the main thing that threw me off, when I looked at footage. DS1's armor looks more sleek/trim.

Alternatively, maybe the fact that Goonther has a normal-sized helmet is just throwing me off because THE PROPORTIONS AIN'T RIGHT MAN.

Those might both be it, honestly. I do feel like it looked a little better in Dark Souls 1. But, the Elite Knight set still looks pretty good.

As for the video itself; wow they made that area encounter after Pate even worse in SOTFS compared to the base game I'm not sure whether to be upset or impressed at this point. :psyduck:

Good thing you had that upgraded mace. It's really taking these enemies apart. So that will make things much easier compared to what most players may experience if they don't go back and upgrade until after this area.

Also what REALLY surprised me is how many loving bloodstains were in that one little room. Like, holy poo poo. Why there specifically? That isn't even a particularly nasty room or anything.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 8, 2016

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
The hips look wider in DS2 is what I'm gathering.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Geop posted:

You'll eventually run in to one of the many stupidly oversized hats of this game, and all will be well.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Elite Knight set hugs the waist a lot closer in 2 than it does in 1, the skirt has physics and flop about now, and the bigger pauldron doesn't quite just hang on the shoulder so much that it hugs it more rigidly like real armor, so all in all the whole set makes you look a little bulkier than it used to.

Though personally I always thought it made you look a lot thinner in this one because of how tightly it's cinched to the waist and abdomen.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Steak Eater posted:

The hips look wider in DS2 is what I'm gathering.

shakira shakira

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just love the more saturated blue on the Elite Knight armor. It feels both fashionable and protective, which is why I'm running around as a mage barely making fast roll. (Also because a later NPC has a hat and set I want that I don't have access to yet.)

Nice job dealing with that bumrush. That's a tricky encounter but your mace just tore through them!

Also in my experience, illusory walls seem to open no matter if someone left a message right next to them. It'll open the wall and the message box at the same time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Pate doesn't leave the forest until he gives you the soapstone. You don't even have to survive that bumrush to get it either; my last attempt at it ended very poorly but Pate acted like I survived the encounter and gave me the gift of Jolly Cooperation anyway.

Dabir posted:

I think Pate's more experienced with NPCs than you, since if they die they stay dead.

Although, that's kind of a tough sell too, since, like random enemies, you don't talk either so maybe that's not the case?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

Also what REALLY surprised me is how many loving bloodstains were in that one little room. Like, holy poo poo. Why there specifically? That isn't even a particularly nasty room or anything.

It's a tiny, tiny room and if you don't approach it just right you will get swarmed, have zero room to maneuver, and die. It's deceptively lethal!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

It's a tiny, tiny room and if you don't approach it just right you will get swarmed, have zero room to maneuver, and die. It's deceptively lethal!

On top of that, there's a jump above it, which if you miss will drop you right in the middle of the three enemies.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FPzero posted:

Also in my experience, illusory walls seem to open no matter if someone left a message right next to them. It'll open the wall and the message box at the same time.

I honestly haven't played Dark Souls 2 in a long time, so maybe it got changed with a patch or maybe I'm just misremembering things, but I do recall that leaving a message too close to a secret door would cause the game to shunt it away

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

On top of that, there's a jump above it, which if you miss will drop you right in the middle of the three enemies.

It drives me crazy how hard it is to hit plunging attacks in DS2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

inthesto posted:

I honestly haven't played Dark Souls 2 in a long time, so maybe it got changed with a patch or maybe I'm just misremembering things, but I do recall that leaving a message too close to a secret door would cause the game to shunt it away

Correct. A message can never block you from opening an illusory wall, though it's a common misconception that they can.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The better fact: Peter Serafinowicz is in this game because he's a relatively big-name fan of the series. Dude adores the Souls games.
IIRC correctly he basically started begging the dev Team to be a part of it as soon as they announced they'd started working on it. Was honestly surprised to not to hear his voice again in 3.

Now that Geop has found the first of many creepy trees I'm eager to see his response to the first and most metal boss in the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Geop posted:

It's brought up a few times in this session, but we'll probably have the screen-sharing stuff sorted out by next time.

That'll do, donkey. That'll do. Also as a reference:

because certain invisible walls are activated by X (or A depending on controller), the game is programmed to keep messages away from the invisible wall itself. So if you see a message literally touching a wall it means it's an "attack to disappear" wall or, more probably, it's a troll message.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 9, 2016

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
Most likely a troll message. I don't even think "attack to make it disappear" walls are even a thing any more in this game except for the ones that you have to activate with a Pharros device... unless I am extremely mistaken. I could be. But I'm pretty sure most of them act more like hidden doors instead. Kind of a throwback to the older King's Field games actually. But it enables extremely misleading messages.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

MGlBlaze posted:

Most likely a troll message. I don't even think "attack to make it disappear" walls are even a thing any more in this game except for the ones that you have to activate with a Pharros device... unless I am extremely mistaken. I could be. But I'm pretty sure most of them act more like hidden doors instead. Kind of a throwback to the older King's Field games actually. But it enables extremely misleading messages.

There are like 2 walls in the game that you can just break to find stuff behind.

They're not illusions. You just smash a wall and there's goodies behind it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No illusory wall ahead.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Aishlinn posted:

Sorry for the poo poo quality on the third one, had to just grab the image from the youtube video. Ds1's elite knight is on the top, its pretty similar, it just looks a lot less bulky, in my opinion.

Dark Souls II has some weird butt stuff going on. It's noticeable with a few armor sets. But it's pretty apparent with the Elite Knight set because you know it from the first game and it seems off. It's just that your character's butt looks fat in this and some other sets.

I'm not even kidding. The way the armor morphs to fit the body seems to make it that way. I encourage you too look at characters from the side too when trying out sets. It's more obvious with some. The Elite Knight set is not the worst offender, but one of the more noticeable ones.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 9, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
*wink wink nudge nudge* i'm eager to see geop's response to this entire game

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dark Souls II: some weird butt stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
The fact that I used this phrase completely unironically proves that I spent too much time with the game doing fashion souls.

• Locked thread