Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
poo poo how did I miss the start of this.

Also what's up with Dr. Tot?

Edit: And I start with Summoner, fair enough.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

poo poo how did I miss the start of this.

Also what's up with Dr. Tot?

Edit: And I start with Summoner, fair enough.

Bad Seafood posted:

Somehow completely forgot we were nearly in season for this. I'm excited. Also a little more well-off, so I figured this round I should probably pay it forward.

Tots for Tots

FFV is my second favorite Final Fantasy. My favorite is FFIX. Recently, forums superstar Mega64 ran a pretty good but sadly short-lived LP of the game in which he claimed "No one remembers Doctor Tot," Princess Garnet's royal tutor. As someone who has never forgotten Doctor Tot I was baffled, bewildered, and incensed. How could anyone forget this marvelous, muppet-like man and his truly magnificent schnoz?

Seriously man, just look at that thing.

Anyway, I've since decided to give the good doctor a much-needed boost in popularity. For every person in this thread who beats FFV this fiesta before I do with their main guy named Tot, I will donate $5. I may or may not also change my avatar to Doctor Tot, and keep it for as many days as there are players who beat me. My donation ceiling is a cool $200, meaning up to 40 players can take me up on this offer, but I'll require screenshots of Exdeath's demise at Tot's hands before I start counting out the cash.

This summer, let's remember Doctor Tot.

Has the ceiling been hit yet?

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Has the ceiling been hit yet?

Hes got 12 counted so far, and I think 5 more after the fact.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Trasson posted:

If you're still waiting to execute the second action of Quick, then Sap/HP Leak still ticks down (as inflicted by a Poison Rod/Bio) but time stops for everything else. No other actions are taken, and of course, the status never expires.

Alternative legit plan: Mighty Guard and Hastega, (letting you equip Flame Rings on your attackers to heal from Atomic Ray), and Thundaga Sword with the Chicken Knife and Assassin's Dagger on your Mystic Knight and Blue Mage (You want daggers since they halve the target's evade, taking you down to staggeringly high 53% chance to hit). The Berserker can happily do nothing (well, give it a Rune Axe and !Time 6 and that 4% of the time it does hit will be real nice). Your goal is to pray you get enough strong hits in before the random assortment of BS getting sent your way kills you. You might need to steal a third Aegis Shield. !Time on the Mystic Knight would be useful, as you can Quick for two chances to hit. If all else fails, score some more levels so you can do more damage. As a final vector, get the Wonder Rod, prep it all the way to Thundaga, give your Berserker a Reflect Ring, and then hit Omega with a Reflected Thundaga and then Flare.

Omega's a dick.

Omega down. Thanks for the advice regarding daggers, his evasion was what was making the kill impossible.

Edit: For the record, this is my first time playing FFV, so I'm actually super pumped about the triple crown being a possibility!

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 13, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

dis astranagant posted:

Whipzerkers are good

Holy poo poo, this.

Equip Whips let me solo Shinryu with a Berserker. They're good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

How painful is it to catch monsters with a beastmaster and three zerks?

Or should I just ignore all that and whip forever?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Golden Goat posted:

Kill Zerks before capturing.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So im debating of job fairing my red mage in my Knight, Red mage, berserker, beastmaster run... What should I get if I'm smart?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Black Mage or Summoner would be nice since your team lacks crowd control. Either class would also make the Rune Axe a lot more effective.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Pulled a random reroll on my second Beast Master, so my team ended up as: Beast Master, Monk, Dancer, Ninja. Seems pretty doable, despite the fact I have no magic. My biggest barrier right now is healing - not having hi-potions available yet at the end of world one is the goddamn worst.

For those who have beaten the game before, is this an okay comp? FFV is one of the few in the series I don't have any experience with.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Seems good to me. Dance Ninja dance.

e; good as in beatable, not good as in strong.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

I'm at Omega, with a mystic knight, a time mage, a blue mage, and a berserker. What the gently caress do I do to kill this thing?

Okay, now what do I do with Shinryu? Coral rings and ice shields are a given, what do I need to do? Or rather, what level do I need to be? Shinryu's physical attacks one-shot all of my characters through Mighty Guard at 32.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 13, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

apostateCourier posted:

Okay, now what do I do with Shinryu? Coral rings and ice shields are a given, what do I need to do?

Cast Quick, snap a Venom Rod on his dragony exterior, and wait. :v:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Cast Quick, snap a Venom Rod on his dragony exterior, and wait. :v:

What if I want to kill him legit?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

apostateCourier posted:

Cycle the Wonder Wand around to Berserk, apply Berserk to his dragony exterior, and throw hella phoenix downs. Trying to cast Flash through his 95% Magical Evasion not recommended but possible if you're feeling cheeky.

E: if you also don't consider that "legit" then I got nothing, I don't bother with Meg/Shin unless I can bullshit them somehow. :shrug:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

apostateCourier posted:

Okay, now what do I do with Shinryu? Coral rings and ice shields are a given, what do I need to do?

Shinryu is vulnerable to berserk and blind. Protect will be helpful. Note that !Blue can do all three of those at once, and with Hermes Sandals, you can get a turn before Tidal Wave.

If you're playing a version with the Mirage Vest glitch, you can use that to keep one character in permanent Image status.

EDIT: Or that.

With !Time, you can use Quick to toss multiple Phoenix Downs at a time, in case he's killing you faster than you can revive.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Geo, double zerk, mysknight here. at least i can heal with this team.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

apostateCourier posted:

every strat that kills him is legit.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Komm susser Tot.

Fighting NED with Geo/Zerk x2/Dragoon was a painful experience, compounded by me having the worst luck with Grand Cross ever, with somebody ending up dead/statued/zombified every time he cast it.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Bufuman posted:

20+ tries on Sandworm at level 42 with Death Sickles got me a couple near victories, but as the saying goes, close only counts in horseshoes and grenades.

So I tried switching to the Main Gaunche and 3 Ogre Killers to see if taking less Gravity counters would work out better.

First loving try. Couldn't believe that poo poo.

Wow! I'll remember that when i try the 4zerker again (so, never). Well done! My team was using the powers of 4 death sickles and emulator fast forward.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kashuno posted:

every strat that kills him is legit.

Fair enough. Did the quick leak kill.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay, final party is:

Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster aaaand...

Dancer!

Not the bestest Earth job but it barely matters right now, doesn't it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Run is finally over. Omega's impossible and I'm not gonna try but Shinryu can be brute forced with any tin can class and a ridiculous amount of grinding.

That's the setup. That's the first time shields have been in use since shortly after Karnak, when I ground out elixirs and abp in the ship graveyard world map room. I ended up grinding out a third ice shield and some more bone mail because this run went full retard. You only have to worry about evil eye, physicals and maelstrom + lightning. Team is level 67 so the berserkers could eat a physical and live. Could probably have gone fuller retard with thor hammers in the back row but I was hating myself enough as it is.

Mah deeps. She has berserk set since she's often the first to drop. Lennaninja was a great help in Ronka and early world 2 making GBS threads out scrolls and stayed in her spot on pure inertia.

Kitty!

Probably not doing another chaos no750 any time soon. Also probably not doing anything so stupid as to get Twintania's Titan Axe with a solo character who couldn't survive Gigaflare again.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

I think I'm ready for Shinryuu.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Golden Goat posted:

The worst part about three zerks with Beastmaster is you can Berserk Shinryu but not blind him. I'm so glad I got Dragoon on my last roll. Well I mean, in the sense that I was glad it wasn't a third zerk.

The only down side is that I'm going to need to get two Dragon Whiskers, since that's better than anything else I can give my non-Rune Axe Berserker at NED.

Kashuno posted:

Seems good to me. Dance Ninja dance.

DANCE! DANCE!

Though I guess technically the ninjas themselves aren't dancing in that, but still the first thing I think of regarding ninjas and dancing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I never had a run without a solid healer, but what are the options for Samurai, Geomancer, and Knight? I have a fourth class pending from Chaos Earth, but I just finished the library so it might still be a little bit away before I get that (and use Samurai).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Knight has a great healing spell called Hi-Potion

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kashuno posted:

Knight has a great healing spell called Hi-Potion

What towns in world one sell hi potions? Regular potions are not even worth using in battle since they are so weak.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The only source of Hi Potions at that point are steals, to my knowledge. It's why Thief isn't all that bad.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

What towns in world one sell hi potions? Regular potions are not even worth using in battle since they are so weak.

I don't think anywhere in world 1 has them. Regular potions are absolutely worth using when your other options are nothing. You can also farm elixirs if you want to grind for a while

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I caught two Aquathorns for the battle against Gilgamesh on the ship.

This proved pointless, since as soon as Enkidu showed up, my next two attacks were my Berserkers killing them with the Death Sickle's proc.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

AlphaKretin posted:

The only source of Hi Potions at that point are steals, to my knowledge. It's why Thief isn't all that bad.

You can occasionally steal Hi-Potions from Headstones on North Mountain, but they mostly have Silver Specs, which at least you can sell for an amount of money once they pile up. I did a bit of farming there, and some at the Ship Graveyard for a couple Elixirs to hang onto for those "oh poo poo we're gonna die" moments.

The Adventures of Team Still New at This (Thief, Summoner, Ranger)

Sandworm, Round 1:
"I moved, idiots. Eat Gravity. Also choke on sand and die."

Sandworm, Round 2:
"Ow my head, you hit me so hard your loving rod broke what is wrong with you wait is that Ifrit"

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
With that team, you're gonna want some elixirs for Soul Cannon anyway. Geomancer is almost useless in that fight, so you're down a damage dealer, which means you're probably gonna eat multiple Wave Cannons.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You can occasionally steal Hi-Potions from Headstones on North Mountain, but they mostly have Silver Specs, which at least you can sell for an amount of money once they pile up. I did a bit of farming there, and some at the Ship Graveyard for a couple Elixirs to hang onto for those "oh poo poo we're gonna die" moments.

The Adventures of Team Still New at This (Thief, Summoner, Ranger)

Sandworm, Round 1:
"I moved, idiots. Eat Gravity. Also choke on sand and die."

Sandworm, Round 2:
"Ow my head, you hit me so hard your loving rod broke what is wrong with you wait is that Ifrit"

Meanwhile, with Team Berserker....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7j9MZweQlo

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I just noticed this now, there's a pledge on the board for $500 for each runner that kills Omega & Shinryu. Definitely worth the effort.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

I just noticed this now, there's a pledge on the board for $500 for each runner that kills Omega & Shinryu. Definitely worth the effort.
I think that was for the official run

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

apostateCourier posted:

I think it was just for THE RUN

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

apostateCourier posted:

That was for The Run at the start of the Fiesta. No making someone literally bankrupt for charity, sorry. :shobon:

I'm sure there will be SOME people making donation clauses for every player triple-crown, though.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Aw. Pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Random seed generator rolled you a "frowny face," I see

• Locked thread