Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think maybe complaining that they brought it up at all is pretty dumb.

There's a lot of other things to pick at for E3 conferences, Ubisoft giving out their sympathy is not one of them.

Hell she even says at that moment that there was no easy or smooth way to say this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I disagree, imo it was a really inappropriate time and place to do so. But at least they didn't make a joke about it I guess.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I guess it's still better than just continuing reading The Pet Goat.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Anyway let's talk about VR Eagles cawing each other to death and other things that felt off about the Ubi conference.

Like Ghost Recon Wildland's weird voice overs that just felt like they should have just recorded people playing it instead.

Also For Honor looks like a neat multiplayer game but the single player stuff they showed has got to be just multiplayer arenas repurposed for a single player section. Like they just banged

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I missed most of the Ubisoft conference but I will have you know I'm very upset about the Serious Sam VR game, not because it exists, but because I will never get to play it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I watched all of it and this is the first I heard of a Serious Sam VR game.

Favorite part of the Ubi conference was when the CEO said Watch_Dogs was a major success.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 14, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_CZosKxig

The Serious Sam game wasn't in the Ubi conference, I don't think. It looks like fun, if you have a VR headset, which less than 15% of people who play video games do or want.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow it looks like one of those many VR games where you stand in one spot and shoot. Cept with a Serious Sam skin on it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Wow it looks like one of those many VR games where you stand in one spot and shoot. Cept with a Serious Sam skin on it.
If there's one thing Croteam does well, it's having charming accents. If there's two things Croteam do well, it's having charming accents and having intricately-rendered screaming things flying at your face that you have to explode. Throw in the "presence" factor of VR, and this looks pretty fun!

And besides, VR seems like an ideal place to resurrect lightgun games.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'd prefer they work a full Serious Sam game with VR instead of Serious Sam's Crossbow Training.

Maybe this leads to a full VR game though which should be good then.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Maybe this leads to a full VR game though which should be good then.
They're working on Serious Sam 4 and Talos Principle 2. This is a side project by a small team with a lot of recycled assets. I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of VR support in Talos 2, at the least, once they figure out how this stuff works.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Talos VR sounds perfect since the game was pretty chill.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Talos Principle in VR is the strongest argument for me to buy a VR device I have heard yet. I would love to experience games like that in actual first-person and not monitor-first person. Not for hundreds of dollars, though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'd play all these wonderful VR tech demos games, just not for 500+

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There'll be a point when I'll buy VR but for a more work-related reason than for entertainment. It will have to get cheaper though and have a few more iterations because there's no way I'm paying a big sum of money to be an early adopter and hear in a year that they finally nailed it and everything released before that is garbage.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/DelkoDuck/status/741503474110767104

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cool car, I like it :D

How is that game coming along? I don't know anything about it other than it is a thing that will exist some day but I hope everything is going smoothly for you!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Palpek posted:

There'll be a point when I'll buy VR but for a more work-related reason

hmmm i'm also an astronaut, cheers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

There'll be a point when I'll buy VR but for a more work-related reason than for entertainment.

Time to become a Let's Player then, it'll only get you to your goal of filing it under work expenses faster

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

customs agent: work or pleasure

me, the let's player: both :grin:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna some day have lots of money and spend it building a cool mansion with a lot of secret passageways, but I can settle for an affordable vr device that lets me explore a virtual reality version of richard garriott's home

e: if I had like notch-levels of dollars I'd totally hire people to just build some myst-style poo poo cause stoneship age and mechanical age own

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CJacobs posted:

Google and Youtube have had a black ribbon next to their logos for the past few days, which is much more classy and tactful than "now I know you're all having fun at this conference about new and exciting technology but let's get serious for a minute"

Most of the conferences just had prior wearing rainbow ribbons and they probably should have just left it at that, any attempts beyond that came off as tacky if well meaning.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

exquisite tea posted:

but I think it indirectly lead to them making better decisions such as the look of Zarya and deflating Widow's butt so it was a net positive for society.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Golden Goat posted:

I'd play all these wonderful VR tech demos games, just not for 500+

It seems so weird to me that the major console developers, along with a handful of others, are just jumping feet first into this VR thing, with hardware that is as expensive as their base customers (or more), when there hasn't been a compelling must-have VR title in the 20+ years of these technology that really rises above "novelty" level, and it looks like even now they haven't bothered to try developing anything that's not ugly gimmicky poo poo before making this huge push.

I guess maybe they're just trying to fleece rubes as much as they can before the bottom falls out?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool car, I like it :D

How is that game coming along? I don't know anything about it other than it is a thing that will exist some day but I hope everything is going smoothly for you!!
Well, I'm not Delko Duck, Hugh Myrone or Chase Pettit, if that's what you're implying. I just really like Delko Duck's stuff. The physics in Drift Stage got fixed and there's a new alpha build for donators out. It plays real nice; you get a cool little speed boost when you execute a drift correctly, so even turns where you could take them without drifting, the boost might get you drifting anyway.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 14, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

AR and VR both have a lot of interesting practical applications, it's just that consumer versions tend to be either cost limited or in the case of games unable to deal with real world movement.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Golden Goat posted:

Like Ghost Recon Wildland's weird voice overs that just felt like they should have just recorded people playing it instead.

that was a cgi fake trailer so they couldnt do that

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

that was a cgi fake trailer so they couldnt do that

I mean more like have them sound like actual players instead of this weird super fake military squad who also happen to be playing the game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
There's a playable teaser/demo for Resident Evil 7 on the PS4 right now. I played a little bit before work and it seems pretty cool. First-person horror adventure, crouching to find switches under things, no mention of B.O.W.s. I approve of the new direction, and I'm excited to see what it's like in VR.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I saw people leap to the assumption that RE7 would have ghosts and stuff based on its resemblance to PT, but after the trailer, it's pretty clear that it's more of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre/The Hills Have Eyes situation. Creepy cannibals in the woods, probably monsters involved, and who knows, maybe even the T virus. I fully expect this'll fit right into the established RE universe, just, y'know, more atmospheric and less action.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Old resident evil is so much better than 4-6. They responded to the community requests to go back to old school design re by making it first person and vr. gently caress that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm not sold on the first-person part yet. What the actual game seems to be about seems like an RE universe take on classic slasher horror, but the first-person thing, eh. I know first-person horror is in right now, but Capcom's also kind of late to the party on that if that's the reason they're doing this first-person. Well, that and VR compatibility.

Pretty sure you can find a picture of a helicopter with the Umbrella Corporation's logo on it in the demo, too.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I would like to play a horror game with Capcom's full backing that goes back to the reason we call it "Resident Evil" more than I would want to play a game that was styled after the first few RE games. I don't want fixed camera angles, tank controls, and loading screen doors. I want new experiences in a new medium, where I'm back to playing someone who isn't an elite soldier killing dozens of people-zombies, and I'm glad they're trying something bold.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Turns out Resident Evil fans just really wanted tank controls and fixed camera angles instead of more survival horror focused games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The demo mostly seems like gone home but with gross stuff in it which I'm not sure anyone wanted

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resident Evil fans, like any other fans of a series that has been around for years and has gone through many different iterations of gameplay, all want entirely different things and there's no way of pleasing all of them so Capcom might as well do whatever they like.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The camera man angle leaves the glint of hope that it's a spiritual successor to Michigan: Report from Hell.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The only thing I wanted from Capcom is more Ace Attorney and they seem to be delivering on that so they're alright in my book

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked the direction they went with RE4 but couldn't care less about anything since then. I also thought Code Veronica and the GC REmake were like the peak of the franchise, so what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Erata posted:

The camera man angle leaves the glint of hope that it's a spiritual successor to Michigan: Report from Hell.

I hope you get points for sexy shots in that case

• Locked thread