Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Were they meant to help miners stay aligned without burning out of mining laser range? Or was that a myth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

And the fearsome fit.

Get rid of the mining upgrade - replace it with a module to boost damage (weapon upgrades - check for a lowslot item to boost your guns/drones).
As you're going for all out damage, you'll want a Magnetic Stabiliser I (unless you've got skills for T2).
You may also want to give up on the tank module altogether, and switch to a tracking computer to make sure you hit your target more often (putting more damage on the target).
After that you can consider whether to stick with the AB or switch to an MWD for more speed.

E: if you have the space to fit it a neutraliser or NOS might be worth fitting in your utility highslot.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

frozenpussy posted:

Were they meant to help miners stay aligned without burning out of mining laser range? Or was that a myth

Their purpose was to make hole rolling easier after an earlier patch put ships jumping through wormholes out of jump range back. They are used for mining though. And ratting carriers.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

AAPsel posted:

Their purpose was to make hole rolling easier after an earlier patch put ships jumping through wormholes out of jump range back. They are used for mining though. And ratting carriers.

Really? I haven't heard that explanation before. It kind of makes sense they would let you increase mass after adding the spawn distance drawback, but that mass is only marginally better after an oversized prop.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

frozenpussy posted:

Really? I haven't heard that explanation before. It kind of makes sense they would let you increase mass after adding the spawn distance drawback, but that mass is only marginally better after an oversized prop.

It also doubles the added mass of an oversized prop mod.

Edit: Oh, reading over the introduction post again it was meant to help both miners and wormholers. I guess we're both right.

you feelin fucky fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 15, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

frozenpussy posted:

A 100% increase in mass is not "marginal", especially on rolling BS where you can't fit oversized prop mods.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Oh, that's different. I didn't know it doubled the mass addition of prop mods.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

LemonDrizzle posted:

A 100% increase in mass is not "marginal", especially on rolling BS where you can't fit oversized prop mods.

what's the quotes for

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

mcjomar posted:

Get rid of the mining upgrade - replace it with a module to boost damage (weapon upgrades - check for a lowslot item to boost your guns/drones).
As you're going for all out damage, you'll want a Magnetic Stabiliser I (unless you've got skills for T2).
You may also want to give up on the tank module altogether, and switch to a tracking computer to make sure you hit your target more often (putting more damage on the target).
After that you can consider whether to stick with the AB or switch to an MWD for more speed.

E: if you have the space to fit it a neutraliser or NOS might be worth fitting in your utility highslot.

(if you read my previous post, you'd know this isn't my first character :P) Been playing for over 7 years off and on, I know how to fit ships. Just messing around on a trial. The 'fearsome fit' comment was a joke.

Edit: That being said, when did they start giving new characters all these different skills? Noticed thermodynamics was trained to 1 already. This is my first new character since .. 2009 or so, though.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 15, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ahh, whoops, my bad.

RE: newbie skills, yeah, I think they added that with the last alteration to the newbie skillset, which was (relatively) recent.

When I started it was the "pick a bunch of options and that informs your skills".
Then they changed it up to be "yeah, you'll just get the basics, and a boost in training speed until you get past 1.8m sp".
Now it's "here's a bunch of the basic core skills trained up mostly to t1 level, with a few gaps in there, good luck". I don't know if the skill training speed boost is still in effect (I think not?).
For some reason they've decided to forget that career agents exist though, which I think is a bad move as they give newbies a lot of extra free stuff, and some vague pointers - better than the "opportunities" we've got now though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

LemonDrizzle posted:

Is there any way to fit a capital prop mod to any battleship? (I suppose I could just play around with EFT, but :effort:)

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Is there any way to fit a capital prop mod to any battleship? (I suppose I could just play around with EFT, but :effort:)

No because CCP has no idea how to balance eve CCP took the lazy way out and simply made it impossible to fit cap mods to subcaps. Same way they 'balanced' entosis links, Higgs boson rigs, and sov warfare in general. The CCP of today could never make an eve 2 because they idea of balance modules based on pg and CPU is too hard for them so they just code certain modules so they don't work on certain hulls. It's the parenting equiv of "because I said so"

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ynglaur posted:

Nope, specifically restricted.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Actually that was mean, eve 2 would be very balanced but it would consist of nothing but frigates, have built in matchmaking, all ships would be free once unlocked and the only way to unlock pirate ships would be paying $200

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Right so following some of the advice here I decided to mine in motion to piss off Catalysts, so I set one of my three to orbit the other while the others follow him, 190ms swan dance...

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If you're orbiting that close it will have minimal effect.

Just mine with a procurer with a DCU, shield extender, and Kim/therm hardeners.

If you orbit at 10km off the asteroid and afk I will either a) put my cov ops on the opposite side of the asteroid from you at 10km and warp my squad to the cov ops about ten seconds before you get there, or b) just warp squad to the signature a few times until I get the range I want. All retrievers are dead when they undock.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

bluegoon posted:

Right so following some of the advice here I decided to mine in motion to piss off Catalysts, so I set one of my three to orbit the other while the others follow him, 190ms swan dance...

A much more effective tactic is to pre-spawn CONCORD. Have a spare character on one account who logs in, undocks in a newbie ship, and attacks one of your characters in the belt to spawn CONCORD. Dock, switch characters to your miner, and now you have a handy police force sitting right on top of you. So long as they're within 150km they'll respond instantly to aggression, and if they warp away you have advance notice of incoming ganks.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Can a revenant fit mining lasers?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
code:
[Procurer, Highsec Procurer]

Damage Control II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

[Empty Med slot]
Kinetic Deflection Field II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
Thermal Dissipation Field II

Strip Miner I

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
You can put anything you want into the empty mid slot - shield extender, an invuln, survey scanner, whatever. This fit has 91.4k EHP against Void, 89.4k against Antimatter w/ my mostly lvl 4 skills. You can swap the second therm hardener for an invuln to plug the EM hole a bit if your belt rats shoot laz0rs. I run Kin/Therm/invuln/survey scanner so I don't pop rocks.

Modulated Strip Miner II fits fine with no issues, but I'm still training the reprocessing skills for them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Reverand maynard posted:

No because CCP has no idea how to balance eve CCP took the lazy way out and simply made it impossible to fit cap mods to subcaps. Same way they 'balanced' entosis links, Higgs boson rigs, and sov warfare in general. The CCP of today could never make an eve 2 because they idea of balance modules based on pg and CPU is too hard for them so they just code certain modules so they don't work on certain hulls. It's the parenting equiv of "because I said so"

That's really a shame. I think the occasional misbalance makes for interesting, emergent gameplay. So long as you're willing to quickly re-balance something, having something out-of-whack for a few weeks isn't a big deal. I doubt the original designers ever intended for over-sized prop mods, but they've made for some very interesting fits over the years, and other than the occasional things like T3s, they've been fairly balanced.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Moddington posted:

A much more effective tactic is to pre-spawn CONCORD. Have a spare character on one account who logs in, undocks in a newbie ship, and attacks one of your characters in the belt to spawn CONCORD. Dock, switch characters to your miner, and now you have a handy police force sitting right on top of you. So long as they're within 150km they'll respond instantly to aggression, and if they warp away you have advance notice of incoming ganks.

I thought pre-spawning concord was considered a banning offense for exploiting game mechanics.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Ambaire posted:

I thought pre-spawning concord was considered a banning offense for exploiting game mechanics.

no, only evading concord killing you once you've engaged them is an exploit.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Yeah, just checked the EVE Support centre, only delaying CONCORD killing you (e.g. hyperdunking with shuttles, abandoned drones) or somehow evading CONCORD is an exploit.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
So if I decide that I maybe might possibly want to play eve again for small periods of time per day who the what gently caress do I join

E: Also I think dickbong has my stuff christ

Enemu fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 15, 2016

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Enemu posted:

So if I decide that I maybe might possibly want to play eve again for small periods of time per day who the what gently caress do I join

groon probably. or hv. or darius. or pl. or GSF, whatever. Hell, rejoin TDSIN, they seem loving terrible though.

Richard's in GROON but apparently AFK

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Ambaire posted:

It's biomassing the throwaway alts to "reset" their sec status that gets people banned.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Enemu posted:

Yeah, pretty sure bong said he has your stuff in a high sec station.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

oh my god dj recruited an actual renter corp into his alliance holy poo poo

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
So did we, but we didn't write an op saying lol we're the true goons gently caress reddit gently caress pubbies

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

So did we, but we didn't write an op saying lol we're the true goons gently caress reddit gently caress pubbies

that's my point.

DJ's alliance: for true goons (tm) and renters too I guess

edit: also if you want to talk about bad killboards god drat ten dollar bond is almost screamingllama tier. "delve is for goons (feeding other delve residents)"

PookBear fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 16, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
:laugh:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

that's my point.

edit: also if you want to talk about bad killboards god drat ten dollar bond is almost screamingllama tier. "delve is for goons (feeding other delve residents)"

:ughh:

Glad I made the right choice and rejoined GW. At least now I can get myself onto multi-billion ISK killmails while also welping everything I undock.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Bloody Pom posted:

:ughh:

Glad I made the right choice and rejoined GSF. At least now I can get myself onto multi-billion ISK killmails while also welping everything I undock.

Goons don't undock, though? (Potential :thejoke: territory here, I know)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ullerrm posted:

Goons don't undock, though? (Potential :thejoke: territory here, I know)

Apparently some do, even if it's just for highsec ganking. There were more than this one but zkill is having CREST issues like everything else apparently https://zkillboard.com/kill/54630047/

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Reverand maynard posted:

that's my point.

i assumed thats what you were getting at, i was explaining for the people playing at home

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
What is a good Gallente ship to gate camp in?

While I wait for Karmafleet to accept (or reject) my application, I'm still in my Corp that organizes gate camps. I'm still using my Caracal but I think I should upgrade to either a Gallente battlecruiser or battleship. Any ships you'd recommend?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
are you dps or tackle or what

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nazareth posted:

What is a good Gallente ship to gate camp in?

While I wait for Karmafleet to accept (or reject) my application, I'm still in my Corp that organizes gate camps. I'm still using my Caracal but I think I should upgrade to either a Gallente battlecruiser or battleship. Any ships you'd recommend?

thanatos

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Eris is the worst of the interdictors, but it's still an interdictor, and those are always welcome for gatecamps.

Magus is the Gallente Jump Destroyer, and is the third most useful ship to have on a gatecamp.

Daredevils and Vigilants require Minmatar Frigate/Cruiser skills, but if you can fly it, those are the second most useful ships to have on a gatecamp. Daredevil moreso, since it's fast enough to burn for a decloak on anybody trying to slip your camp.

e: there's also an instant-locking Keres, which is really useful for the ~40km point and long scram.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
My keyboard has macro functions, to what extent are we allowed to use them? Specifically mining wise?

• Locked thread