Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
As promised here is the rear end post:

Here is the 970 rear end. This is a good, solid rear end for the masses. The working mans rear end, dependable, rugged.

Here is the 1080 rear end. You will of course notice the added detail to the crease, the 4K DSR bringing out all the details on Epic settings. An rear end for the elite, the demanding gentleman that knows what he needs in the rear end department.

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Hey Super Jetstream buddy, got mine today and am just done with installing it. Now I'm gonna take it for some rides, hell yeah. :respek:

Aww yeah :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Psy890 posted:

Weird. Looks like actual clocks on ASUS and MSI cards are lower than what was sent out to reviewers.

http://videocardz.com/61121/asus-and-msi-accused-of-sending-modified-cards-to-the-press

Also looks like there will be two STRIX cards, in $430 and $450 variants.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asus-rog-1070/

that first comment kills it:

"Your correct that ASUS cranked out 2 cards as far as I can tell and only 2 as none can be found for sale [...]"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Icept posted:

Here is the 970 rear end. This is a good, solid rear end for the masses. The working mans rear end, dependable, rugged.

Here is the 1080 rear end. You will of course notice the added detail to the crease, the 4K DSR bringing out all the details on Epic settings. An rear end for the elite, the demanding gentleman that knows what he needs in the rear end department.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/ansel/technology

:colbert: not 12 million pixels

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

A 1080 is the go to solution for solid 60+ fps gaming on a 3440 x 1440 ultra wide, right?

In other words: A 1070 won't cut it and would need replacement soon?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 17, 2016

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
A Gigabyte 1080 G1 found its way into my computer, but it's relatively sucking at 3DMark. ~16k in default FireStrike instead of the ~19k most reviews seem to hit. How did I screw this up?
Things I checked:
- nVidia power settings are set to max performance
- During the run it'll hit 99% GPU usage, 97-103% power usage, boost clock of ~1850MHz, temp of 72C. Charts are pretty flat, doesn't look like it's throttling at all.
- Drivers are current, installed with the 'clean install' option
- Overclocking to a boost of 2050MHz added another 300 points, which is like a +2% score for a +10% OC

I mean it's just 3DMark so whatever, this thing flies in every actual game I've tried. But my NUMBERS.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A 980ti will do 1440p for the most part, a 1070 should as well.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

mcbexx posted:

A 1080 is the go to solution for solid 60+ fps gaming on a 3440 x 1440 ultra wide, right?

The gap between the two isn't that big, so they'll likely have a good replacement around the same time. So it's mostly whether you want to pay that extra for the performance difference.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
How much will the Gigabyte G1 1070 be when it drops on Newegg in 20 minutes?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Green Gloves posted:

How much will the Gigabyte G1 1070 be when it drops on Newegg in 20 minutes?

Unless the price goes up for this version it should be $429.99, the price it was at last time before it sold out.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

mcbexx posted:

Personally I would have a 1080 for this resolution, although it's really going to depend on your tastes as both will work acceptably.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Has that gigabyte already sold out I swear it went out of stock before 9.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I never saw it show up in stock.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Personally I would have a 1080 for this resolution, although it's really going to depend on your tastes as both will work acceptably.

I have a 980Ti (boosts to 1450) and a UW 1440P and can't really justify swapping out to a 1080 just yet. Out of the handful of games I've played, Witcher 3 took the largest performance hit but it's still entirely playable on Ultra+Hairworks at 45 FPS.

If the 1080 was available in normal quantities I would probably buy one and sell the 980Ti for $300ish. It's not worth it to me to play the camping game at this point.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anti-Hero posted:

I have a 980Ti (boosts to 1450) and a UW 1440P and can't really justify swapping out to a 1080 just yet. Out of the handful of games I've played, Witcher 3 took the largest performance hit but it's still entirely playable on Ultra+Hairworks at 45 FPS.

If the 1080 was available in normal quantities I would probably buy one and sell the 980Ti for $300ish. It's not worth it to me to play the camping game at this point.

Yeah it's on edge. I had a 980ti with regular 16:9 1440p and I could make use of more GPU, but I didn't need to. I would still prefer a 1080 but its not like a 1070 is gonna suck

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

xthetenth posted:

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the 480 could do that well overclocking,
Me too. I'm skeptical OC's like that will be common but maybe AMD focused so heavily on getting power usage and heat down at stock settings that they left a lot of potential on the plate for enthusiasts to 'pick up' so to speak.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Green Gloves posted:

it didn't show up in stock (yet??? who knows)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

*Global Foundries, which licensed the 14nmlpp from samsung. Who knows if that includes any process or equipment improvements, though...

Same difference, at this point. Between Samsung's version of Copy Exactly and rolling out their higher performance 14nm process, taking advantage of Samsung's more mature process to squeeze out performance where they can is a foregone conclusion.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Literally just showed up

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Got a Gigabyte G1 1070 woohoo. Was about to give up but decided to refresh one more time.

Edit: Its still in stock guys hurry!

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 17, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The Gigabyte G1 1070 came up and I managed to grab one :toot:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

OhFunny posted:

The Gigabyte G1 1070 came up and I managed to grab one :toot:

They must have gotten a pretty good stock, it's been like 5 minutes and it still says in stock!

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Good sign for everyone looking for 1070s from now on I guess.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Free ear buds awww yeah. :whatup:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ijyt posted:

I hate how they had to streamline everything because "it was too complicated before :cry:". I hate how I've had more bugs in two months of use than I've had in the previous two decades. I hate the unnecessary data collection. I hate how useless cortana is.

Cortana is immensely more useful than any other "assistant".

With it on my Android, it reminds me of things I tell it to via location, automagically tracks every order I get (UPS/FedEx/DHL/etc), even shows what test or missed calls I have on Windows 10 if I leave my phone in another room or something.

Overall the main problem with Windows isn't the re-wright of a lot of the UI and underlying code, its the lack of people actually using the features the new OS provides. Mainly once you get used to where things are or moved to, it actually is easier to flip around in the OS than the amount of clicks it took to do the same in Windows 7 (8+ it actually got better).

Now if they could integrate Cortana into VR it would be immensely better than the Vive Cell Phone Connector they have currently. Windows 10 should have a way they could plug into the API but I guess we will see.

Back on topic... I have to resist till the 1080Ti.. I must, I shall.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Icept posted:

What is interesting, is my 980Ti was auto setting Overwatch to 122% res (1440P/90Hz Korean Screen) which ran great but it seemed like pushing my 980Ti that hard or something was causing my comp to hard crash more than once, which appears to be semi common on the forums.

Setting it to 100% didn't drop the GPU load at all (99% most of the time, same as before) but now the crashes have stopped.

I wonder if the Overwatch DSR they are using is bugged somewhere and if I did say 1.5X DSR in the Nvidia CP if it would crash or not.. Hmmm

The 980Ti is just using the ASUS Strix OC and nothing more so its not from any tweaking. Hmm

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FaustianQ posted:

drat...if 1.6-1.7Ghz is achievable on 299$ AIB cards (maybe water), then I guess I'm going to dump my 290X for an RX480 because holy poo poo. I guess this may be why AMD has been so quite, the RX480/470 make the 200/300 series obsolete in entirety, so if you want to get maximum return on the old cards you keep the new cards performance un the wraps, then do firesales on day of release.

Except if it's true and they have a card that strong their marketing team should be fired because shouting to the world "hey for half the price you can get a card that's only about 5% weaker than a 1070" would make a lot of 1070 buyers hesitate and potentially buy the AMD card (or two).

ijyt posted:

I hate how they had to streamline everything because "it was too complicated before :cry:". I hate how I've had more bugs in two months of use than I've had in the previous two decades. I hate the unnecessary data collection. I hate how useless cortana is.

Can't you just turn off the data collection and hide cortana?

HalloKitty posted:

No, 1070 generally scores above a stock Titan X.
Overclocked 980 Ti probably runs right there with the 1070, but you also get another couple of gig of vram on the 1070, along with the hope of driver support further into the future, and of course lower power usage.

And you can potentially overclock the 1070, even if it's not by much? I don't know if I'll try overclocking my gigabyte g1 1070 when it gets here.

Lungboy posted:

I hope the 480 launch in 12 days is nothing like this NVidia farce.

It's going to be as bad if not worse. I doubt AMD magically has a lot more cards in production than Nvidia and they're selling card that are going for the major bulk of the market.

Green Gloves posted:

At the midnight launch I got the page to load probably 30 seconds before 9PM PST and added it to my cart while it was still listed as out of stock. I suspect this is happening in most cases since people will preload the page so if it goes live even 20-30 seconds before 9:00 those people will have theirs ordered by the time 9:00 hits.

Grats to the people who managed to order ones. :buddy:

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Free ear buds awww yeah. :whatup:

glad to hear everyone seemed to have snagged one. got one too :getin:

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Was also able to grab a gigabyte just now :420:. Finally will be able to use my ultrawide properly

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Congratulations to everyone who managed to get a card, hope this means supply is easing up.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EdEddnEddy posted:

Cortana is immensely more useful than any other "assistant".

With it on my Android, it reminds me of things I tell it to via location, automagically tracks every order I get (UPS/FedEx/DHL/etc), even shows what test or missed calls I have on Windows 10 if I leave my phone in another room or something.

Overall the main problem with Windows isn't the re-wright of a lot of the UI and underlying code, its the lack of people actually using the features the new OS provides. Mainly once you get used to where things are or moved to, it actually is easier to flip around in the OS than the amount of clicks it took to do the same in Windows 7 (8+ it actually got better).

Now if they could integrate Cortana into VR it would be immensely better than the Vive Cell Phone Connector they have currently. Windows 10 should have a way they could plug into the API but I guess we will see.

Back on topic... I have to resist till the 1080Ti.. I must, I shall.

So...the same things Google does?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

thats not candy posted:

Was also able to grab a gigabyte just now :420:. Finally will be able to use my ultrawide properly

Same here just ordered the 34um95. What are you using?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Green Gloves posted:

Same here just ordered the 34um95. What are you using? :highfive:

:whatup: The dell u3415w. Bought it for ~800 last summer and have been driving it with a 970, so this is a much needed upgrade.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

So...the same things Google does?

Cortana is working even on accounts that are not on my Hotmail/Outlook. Googles only works on Gmail unless you import/forward your e-mail through it. So Maybe? But so far Cortana has been winning that battle with less full integration.

And her jokes are better. :colbert:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's going to be as bad if not worse. I doubt AMD magically has a lot more cards in production than Nvidia and they're selling card that are going for the major bulk of the market.
Polaris 10 is a much smaller die and uses GDDR5 and is launching about a month later than the 1080/1070. Magic has nothing to do with it. It'd be shocking if they didn't have good or even great supply of cards at launch.

The fly in the ointment is if demand is so high they sell out anyways.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
SLI HB bridges are out!

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

thats not candy posted:

:whatup: The dell u3415w. Bought it for ~800 last summer and have been driving it with a 970, so this is a much needed upgrade.

I almost bought a refurb u3415w for ~570 a few days ago but it went out of stock after sitting in my cart for awhile. Got a pretty deal on 34um95 though. 980 to 1070.

I really want to see a review for this card soon.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It would be cool of Newegg to at least make the "add to cart" and "auto notify" buttons different colors and/or shapes

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tell me that this only looks boring as hell because of what Nvidia has done.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Tell me that this only looks boring as hell because of what Nvidia has done.

It looks fine, I like the simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Simplicity is fine, but I expected custom PCBs and coolers, not reference with a sticker.