Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Does the strix 1080 still give the best performance out of these new cards? Also, the 1080ti probably wont be out for several months right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

You all need to stop talking about these new gpus. Im getting more and more tempted to replace my 980ti and i only play contageon and CSGO

Seriously, I keep thinking about new monitors and cards and I don't even know what I'd play on them.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Does the strix 1080 still give the best performance out of these new cards? Also, the 1080ti probably wont be out for several months right?

I would be surprised if it was out before 2017.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of gpu box art,

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Speaking of gpu box art,

:effort:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The best performance is pretty much luck of the chip draw - all the videos and reviews I've seen indicate extra cooling, power, etc. don't make a noticeable difference. Jayz had a FE that held a better clock (by a little bit) than the more expensive MSI Gaming X.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sout posted:

Seriously, I keep thinking about new monitors and cards and I don't even know what I'd play on them.

Afterburner is this thread's favourite title.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

The best performance is pretty much luck of the chip draw - all the videos and reviews I've seen indicate extra cooling, power, etc. don't make a noticeable difference. Jayz had a FE that held a better clock (by a little bit) than the more expensive MSI Gaming X.

Yeah. At retail clocks they're much of a muchness, and overclocking ability is luck of the draw on whether you were lucky with the silicon.

In any case, the variation including overclocks seems to be 1-2fps at 4k so there are no trap options.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Speaking of gpu box art,

I'm kind of way into this tbh.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I ordered a 980Ti yesterday, and because I'm impatient I sprung for the $10 overnight shipping from Amazon. Box just showed up, and they sent a freaking 970 instead. I'm thinking it's a sign, I'll just get a refund on this and wait for a 1080.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So if turns out that two rx480's in crossfire outperform a 1070, will any of you switch over?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So if turns out that two rx480's in crossfire outperform a 1070, will any of you switch over?

I don't know if my mobo supports sli/crossfire (it may be able to, I should find out for sure). I don't love the idea of crossfire in terms of power usage and potential for more frustrating tech issues.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've used both SLI and Crossfire in the past, and I'd only ever do it again if I needed more horsepower than the fastest single card available can deliver. I miss the days of my old SLI Voodoo2 12mb cards, when poo poo just worked without (m)any headaches.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

I would never touch SLI/Crossfire, too much of a hassle.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Wouldn't you need to beat the gtx 1080 for it to make financial sense.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
I'm ending my dual card journey now that 1600p can be achieved fairly easily with one card. Purchased a Dell U3011 in early 2011 and moved from 2 x HD 6970s to 2 x GTX 670s and i'm now at 2 x R9 290s to maintain 60+ fps in any modern game. I'll probably be upgrading to a gtx 1080, 1080ti or whatever AMD releases. The noise, heat, and driver issues gets a bit annoying after a while. Plus, most if not all of the indy games usually don't support SLI/Crossfire.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

I miss the days of my old SLI Voodoo2 12mb cards, when poo poo just worked without (m)any headaches.

It's getting worse before it gets better. Expect all Unreal Engine 4 games to have no multi-GPU support whatsoever, with the exception of VR SLI.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah. At retail clocks they're much of a muchness, and overclocking ability is luck of the draw on whether you were lucky with the silicon.

In any case, the variation including overclocks seems to be 1-2fps at 4k so there are no trap options.

That could be the difference between an unplayable 58fps and a glorious 60fps

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don Lapre posted:

That could be the difference between an unplayable 58fps and a glorious 60fps

That's what *sync is for.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I ordered a 980Ti yesterday, and because I'm impatient I sprung for the $10 overnight shipping from Amazon. Box just showed up, and they sent a freaking 970 instead. I'm thinking it's a sign, I'll just get a refund on this and wait for a 1080.

So literally 30 seconds after I initiated a return on Amazon, and setup some nowinstock.net alerts, I was able to snag one of these ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Edition.

I've never owned a ZOTAC video card, but I've got an old ION htpc motherboard of theirs that has been solid for years now, so hopefully I'm ok.

Haha nevermind, just got an email that my successful order was canceled due to no stock. Thanks Newegg!!

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 18, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Enos Cabell posted:

I miss the days of my old SLI Voodoo2 12mb cards, when poo poo just worked without (m)any headaches.

That was when SLI was Scan Line Interleave and the cards took turns rendering lines. Now it stands for Scalable Link Interface (where "scalable" means supporting a maximum of 2 cards) and the cards render alternate frames instead.

On the other hand, I guess they got rid of the loopback cable running between cards?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

That was when SLI was Scan Line Interleave and the cards took turns rendering lines. Now it stands for Scalable Link Interface (where "scalable" means supporting a maximum of 2 cards) and the cards render alternate frames instead.

Modern SLI can also do split-frame rendering (SFR), but AFR is more common.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

LiftAuff posted:

Wouldn't you need to beat the gtx 1080 for it to make financial sense.

Lol yeah. And who knows, it might or might get close. But to actually choose that route ...

Expect a little bit of "well I guess crossfire isn't THAT bad" in the near future across the internet

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Subjunctive posted:

Afterburner is this thread's favourite title.

Mine, too.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

I don't think this is a real part of RTGs sales pitch so much as something they threw into the slide deck at the last minute to try and deflate Pascal's perf advantage. As people have mentioned, Crossfire really doesn't seem worth the trouble unless you are already operating at the top end (dual Titans lol) or you already happen to own one of the cards you want to pair. I guarantee you the experience with dual 480s will be worse in most games even if the fps is as good/better because of stutter.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Subjunctive posted:

Modern SLI can also do split-frame rendering (SFR), but AFR is more common.

This is going to come back in the form of explicit multiadapter, but that's inherently going to only work in a limited number of titles because it requires much more careful design and balancing.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Hmm a bunch of overtime pay maybe I should get SLI 1080s wait wait my monitor is only 60fps 1440p ultrawide that's overdoing it hey maybe 4k or 144hz monitors oh poo poo then I'll need a new power supply despite having just replaced this one less than six months ago AAAAHHHH HELP ME I AM THE PERFECT MARKETING TARGET

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It seems to me that SLI support in VR is going to be slow if non-existent in coming since the 10xx has that multi perspective rendering that's probably easier to implement and would give you most of the benefits of an SLI VR setup.

I was able to slap a 200mhz gpu offset and 500mhz memory offset on my Zotac FE 1080 right out of the box with 120% power target. I'll probably try inching it higher later to see how far it will go, but it was sustaining 2050mhz boost clock while playing games. Not too bad for zero effort. Still really can't hear the fan either.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Deuce posted:

Hmm a bunch of overtime pay maybe I should get SLI 1080s wait wait my monitor is only 60fps 1440p ultrawide that's overdoing it hey maybe 4k or 144hz monitors oh poo poo then I'll need a new power supply despite having just replaced this one less than six months ago AAAAHHHH HELP ME I AM THE PERFECT MARKETING TARGET

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Deuce posted:

:homebrew:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The AMD second hand market fire sales have begun. I bought three R9 270X cards for $140 this morning. Two are Gigabyte 4GB models and one is an Asus 2GB model. I will probably sell the 2GB card to someone in my friends/family and use the other two to experience Crossfire for myself before splitting them into a couple of older systems.

Does anyone have experience with Crossfire and Steam streaming? I've heard endless complaining about latency with CF; I am curious if the additional processing (latency) needed for in home streaming makes the situation worse, or somehow improves it with the fps cap. It probably doesn't matter since the PC I would stream to is connected to a 720p (gasp!) plasma TV.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PBCrunch posted:

The AMD second hand market fire sales have begun. I bought three R9 270X cards for $140 this morning. Two are Gigabyte 4GB models and one is an Asus 2GB model. I will probably sell the 2GB card to someone in my friends/family and use the other two to experience Crossfire for myself before splitting them into a couple of older systems.

Does anyone have experience with Crossfire and Steam streaming? I've heard endless complaining about latency with CF; I am curious if the additional processing (latency) needed for in home streaming makes the situation worse, or somehow improves it with the fps cap. It probably doesn't matter since the PC I would stream to is connected to a 720p (gasp!) plasma TV.

I haven't crossfired in a long time but, sell both 270x's and buy a 290 imo..

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I am grabbing a 480 asap to both gain freesync and ditch SLI. Performance gains are way too inconsistent for the costs.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Do they have treatment clinics for gigahertz addictions?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Deuce posted:

Do they have treatment clinics for gigahertz addictions?

yeah it's called "not having money"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Well it wont take me long to get there if I keep browsing NewEgg

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

GPU Megat[H]read - Can't pay the electric bill, spent everything on the GPU.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I haven't crossfired in a long time but, sell both 270x's and buy a 290 imo..

It's a really bad time to buy a 290 since the RX 480 is going to be the same price as a used 290 but be faster and use less power (literally a die-shrunk 290X). Unless you absolutely must have it in the next two to four weeks.

PBCrunch posted:

$140 for a 270X is a garbage price, I paid $150 for a nice aftermarket 280 back in late 2014. Nowadays you should be getting a refurb 280X or even a new 4gb 380 for that price.

Sorry for your loss.

edit: And don't crossfire bottom-end cards, it's GCN 1.0 for god's sake. Just wait a month or at least buy a 390 if you really hate money that badly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 18, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm sure the increased power efficiency will definitely offset the $600 or whatever you spend on a new graphics card. For sure.
You basically can't afford not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a really bad time to buy a 290 since the RX 480 is going to be the same price as a used 290 but be faster and use less power (literally a die-shrunk 290X). Unless you absolutely must have it in the next two to four weeks.

$140 for a 270X is a garbage price, I paid $150 for a nice aftermarket 280 back in late 2014. Nowadays you should be getting a refurb 280X or even a new 4gb 380 for that price.

Sorry for your loss.

If we're gonna dickwave about prices I've got an invoice from my $210 MSI Twin-Frozr 290 new with game bundle from 2014.