Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well Iwata said he will strongly consider making the next system region free, so wet just have to hope he has enough influence in the various meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Well Iwata said he will strongly consider making the next system region free, so wet just have to hope he has enough influence in the various meetings.

:smith:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If the NX doesn't have achievements Nintendo is dead

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Katana Gomai posted:

Doomed, even, so doomed.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Katana Gomai posted:

gently caress you!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Delays wouldn't be a huge issue if region locking weren't a thing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Katana Gomai posted:

They should do the unthinkable and tie achievements to financial rewards.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Iwata is credited at the end of Kirby: Planet Robobot. :smith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I also hope the NX has achievements
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Bb64RMU2Q

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I un-ironically do. I like cheevos :-(

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Xenoblade Chronicles X pops "Achievement Unlocked" on my screen so long it's almost spammy.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Trophies are the best and Nintendo clearly knows this since so many of their games include some sort of achievement system. Just make it account-wide already, and add some lovely trophies to the VC releases, too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
More than trophies, the NX needs a party system and voice chat.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Put the trophies on miiverse Nintendo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Put the trophies on miiverse Nintendo

But Hyrule Warriors already does this :confused:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Clearly I need to buy that immediately, then.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think stamps were supposed to be Nintendo's answer to trophies/achievements. I know I went hog wild with the lucky cat Mario stamp you got for beating Champion Road in 3D World.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

greatn posted:

The fact that you can just bypass the region check with homebrew means it's purely baked into the firmware so I'm pretty sure they could disable it in a firmware update to the 3DS, if they weren't idiots. :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

The fact that you can just bypass the region check with homebrew means it's purely baked into the firmware so I'm pretty sure they could disable it in a firmware update to the 3DS, if they weren't idiots. :(

It's not as simple as that, actually. It's been shown that certain games behave rather weirdly when running on different systems. Check the compatibility page of the old hack regionthree to see some examples.

Additionally, DLC and patches are forced to the specific region's eShop so that wouldn't work at all without some major eShop restructuring, technically and legally (other company lawyers would throw a fit).

Iwata knew they had hosed up, which is why he mentioned they would consider not loving it up again on the next system because it's not as easy as switching a flip right now and, bang, region free without issues.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's probably legal and trade issues. They have it set up one way and to change it they'll need to change arrangements and contacts.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Region locking sucks and is always, always a move that benefits companies more than consumers. My DS library has a ton of games from both Japan and America, and I really resent that I don't have that option with the 3DS.

But seeing how piracy ran rampant through the DS generation I suppose a corporate backlash was inevitable. As far as I know 3DS piracy only exists on firmware from several years ago and the scene is a fraction of the size it was on the DS, so I guess they achieved their goal.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Region locking had nothing to do with the 3DS' better anti-piracy features. For one thing, its firmware is upgradable, which the poor DS had no means to do. Nintendo started region locking their portables with the DSi, when they introduced what would later become the eShop, but back then was just the DSiWare store.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not to derail but I just want to say that Rhythm Heaven is seriously good and fun.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

No one is allowed to talk about Rhythm Heaven until October 21st

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Help Im Alive posted:

No one is allowed to talk about Rhythm Heaven until October 21st

I sure do like Rhythm Heaven

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Slur posted:

I sure do like Rhythm Heaven

I played it for two hours before work today!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Inzombiac posted:

I played it for two hours before work today!

Did you enjoy your Rhythm Heaven experience?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Slur posted:

Did you enjoy your Rhythm Heaven experience?

Quite a lot. I'm glad I don't have to wait until some impossible time like October.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Glad someone else gets it.

loving lol that you think this is a legitimate point. what is the possible reason for the delay? how much dialogue does rhythm loving heaven have to translate? they're not gonna make each song region-friendly.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It feels great to be in America, where a man is free. Free to purchase and play Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

God bless Reggie Fils-Aime and the United States of America

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Nintendo is region locked because of the online store. They don't want the customers getting confused and getting the wrong language or game. It's paternalistic Japanese corporate culture of playing it safe.

Also I suspect there is also the line of thinking that Japanese consumer buys a Japanese system to play Japanese language games and that's that.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Yeah being free in America is great. I'm free to not buy Rhythm Heaven because it's available instead of being unable to buy it because it's simply unavailable!

Freedom!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

Nintendo is region locked because of the online store. They don't want the customers getting confused and getting the wrong language or game. It's paternalistic Japanese corporate culture of playing it safe.

Also I suspect there is also the line of thinking that Japanese consumer buys a Japanese system to play Japanese language games and that's that.

This is patently wrong. I can go on the eShop right now and buy a Pokémon game in Italian, German, Spanish or French. They're all distinct versions, each with their own price tag and it's very easy to buy the "wrong one" if you just look at the cover in a glance, because the descriptions for the Spanish version are still in your native language wherever you're from.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hadji murad posted:

If Sony and MS can segregate the online stores by region so can Nintendo. In theory.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Party Meiser posted:

Yeah being free in America is great. I'm free to not buy Rhythm Heaven because it's available instead of being unable to buy it because it's simply unavailable!

Freedom!

I disagree with your choices but I will fight to defend your right to make them :patriot:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm annoyed about the region-locking as well, because I often want to play games in Not-English but the North American version will only allow English and Spanish (because the millions of French-speaking North Americans don't count, I guess). I'm looking forward to the 3DS releases of Dragon Quest VII and VIII in the West, and I am really hoping that the NA version has English/French/Italian/German/Spanish options like DQ IV, V, VI and IX did for the DS. If the NA version only has English and maybe Spanish I wouldn't be able to import a potentially multilingual European version unless I want to buy another 3DS (I don't).

I'm not sure about anything, though. It took a lot of begging to get Enix to bring those ports to the western hemisphere and they may well have just put them only in English regardless of region. Both games, but especially VII, are loaded with text to translate and what kept them from porting them for so long was the huge cost of translating all of that text. I could hardly blame them if they just said "Let's put this in the potentially most profitable language and then call it a done deal, lads"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sudden Javelin posted:

how much dialogue does rhythm loving heaven have to translate?

A lot more than you'd expect actually in this entry

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Translating programs can be pretty difficult past just the "translating text" stage (not that most of the problems in the video apply to a fixed script)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The EU version of Rhythm Heaven DS has new French/Italian/German/Spanish versions of each song but they'll never do that again.

Here's a side-by-side with all the different versions of the staff roll tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcrJIN7fcBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The EU version of Rhythm Heaven DS has new French/Italian/German/Spanish versions of each song but they'll never do that again.

Here's a side-by-side with all the different versions of the staff roll tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcrJIN7fcBA

I'm not the biggest fan of j-pop, but the Italian and German versions sound pretty boss.