Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Passed GMON: https://www.sans.org/course/continuous-monitoring-security-operations

There are only 335 people with it, because nobody knows or cares about that cert I imagine. Work pays for it so sure.

That makes GCIH, GSEC, and GMON so far. I take the course for GCFE next week at SANS Fire in DC. Anybody else going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

internet jerk posted:

Passed GMON: https://www.sans.org/course/continuous-monitoring-security-operations

There are only 335 people with it, because nobody knows or cares about that cert I imagine. Work pays for it so sure.

That makes GCIH, GSEC, and GMON so far. I take the course for GCFE next week at SANS Fire in DC. Anybody else going?

Did you take 511 in-person? If so, any thoughts on the defend the flag CTF?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Doug posted:

Did you take 511 in-person? If so, any thoughts on the defend the flag CTF?

I did, this was back in...March 2015? There was no cert at the time. Eric Conrad was the instructor. Honestly I don't recall much but I do remember not finding it that interesting to be honest.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

internet jerk posted:

I did, this was back in...March 2015? There was no cert at the time. Eric Conrad was the instructor. Honestly I don't recall much but I do remember not finding it that interesting to be honest.

Ah, yeah I think the CTF is fairly new. I was never much interested in the course/cert but that part at least seemed vaguely interesting. Enjoy SANSFire though. Unfortunately my work is too cheap to shell out for SANS and my boss has some kind of beef with them and claims the classes/certs are useless. :rolleyes:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sticking my nose in the CEH book because Governments love to see those letters. This poo poo is mad boring guys.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The official cisco press CCIE R&S books make me want to claw my eyes out.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sticking my nose in the CEH book because Governments love to see those letters. This poo poo is mad boring guys.

Mad boring as in Security+ level boring, or boring if you know specifics about Kali Linux/basic pentesting?

I always thought CEH would be cool to have as an addition to my sysadmin portfolio but never really delved hard into hacking or any kind of penetration testing. Closest I got was trying to spoof credit card #s on BBSes back in the day with my parents getting a nasty phone call or two from sysops.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

MJP posted:

Mad boring as in Security+ level boring

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this really dull. I'm scheduled to take it on Friday, and some of this material is making my eyes glaze over.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

you ate my cat posted:

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds this really dull. I'm scheduled to take it on Friday, and some of this material is making my eyes glaze over.

I really like security but the sec+ every time I am like "hey I need to finish this material and take the cert" I get miserable and irritated. Honestly I'd love to just skip it and go for the next security cert because it's interesting at least.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly if you've worked in IT for a couple of years and have a passing interest in security concepts, it'll probably take you 2-3 weeks maximum to "learn" the "material" of Sec+. It's basically all acronyms, common sense, or stuff you'll have naturally learned already.

I should probably stop making GBS threads all over the cert though since I have it. :ohdear:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Honestly if you've worked in IT for a couple of years and have a passing interest in security concepts, it'll probably take you 2-3 weeks maximum to "learn" the "material" of Sec+. It's basically all acronyms, common sense, or stuff you'll have naturally learned already.

I should probably stop making GBS threads all over the cert though since I have it. :ohdear:

It's real easy

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

That's it exactly. I don't feel like I'm learning much, just memorizing a mountain of acronyms and terms to pass a test. All the stuff I could be learning, I pretty much already know.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

you ate my cat posted:

That's it exactly. I don't feel like I'm learning much, just memorizing a mountain of acronyms and terms to pass a test. All the stuff I could be learning, I pretty much already know.

Nah, it's really not that bad. Memorize the port chart. Skim the section on smishing vishing pharming and phishing.

Just make sure you have all the warchalk symbols memorizes!
No, don't actually memorize warchalking symbols, they don't test on them. Learn hobo signs instead, it's more practical.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
ahahaha warchalking, I forgot all about that.

The extent of my "studying" for Sec+ was reading the book cover to cover in 3 days without any note taking, and the only thing I actually studied to commit to memory were the common port numbers. I had no business passing that exam. I don't even work in IT so I had very few personal experiences to draw from. I'm not trying to gloat or anything, I'm trying to show just how easy that test is. I'll go as far to say that it was easier than the A+.

The most complicated question on the exam was "configuring" a standard ACL on a "firewall". Basically all you had to was click on permit/deny from a drop down, and type your source IP/port into two clearly labled fields. In all cases except one they even gave me the port numbers. That one case was TFTP, and if you're a child like me you'll never forget port 69.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

MJP posted:

Mad boring as in Security+ level boring, or boring if you know specifics about Kali Linux/basic pentesting?

Somewhere in between. It covers a really broad range of things but in less depth than any certs in more specific areas would afford you. I'm only getting it because government contracts seem to require it for some crazy reason. That isn't to say it doesn't include an introduction to the entire process of pentesting, because it does, but it certainly isn't PWK/OSCP by any means.

Note I'm not really upset I have to take it as my company is paying for it and I see the value in getting the contracts that require it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Renegret posted:

I'll go as far to say that it was easier than the A+.

Easier than A+ part 1, yeah I'll agree. If A+ part 2 wasn't the easiest loving test you've taken in your professional career I want to know how it's possible to make a test less stressful. It feels like a money grab from comptia to split the material, and by split I mean make up useless bullshit for part 2.

But yeah S+ was weird. I stressed about learning the material. I stressed while i took the test because I had no idea how well I was doing: were the answers obvious or was I missing all the trick questions? Then I saw my score and laughed my way out of the building for letting it stress me out.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I actually had a far worse score for A+ part 2 than I did 1. :shobon: Dunno what went wrong. Net+ I had a pretty decent score IIRC and Sec+ was alright just because I focused on one thing far more than the others and ended up getting more questions for the parts I neglected. Funny how that works. :v:

Now I'm studying for CCENT and looking to take it in 2 weeks. Boy I feel I'll get a lot of questions for ACLs and NAT, my two weakest subjects.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I always say it's the easiest cert you can ever get.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
System Administrator at my internship is currently going to a technical school for her MCSA cert

I

oh god how do I break it to her? :smith:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Depends very much what you mean by 'technical school'. For-profits like ITT Tech and University of Phoenix are mostly gigantic wastes of money but reasonably accredited community colleges (which could also often be called technical schools since they tend to provide degree programs in employment-related skills rather than liberal arts) can be a fantastic deal.

Edit: the confusion isn't helped by the whole technical vs vocational and regional vs national accredication malarky either.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 15, 2016

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

It's been awhile since I took it, do you have to subnet poo poo by hand on the ICND2? I know the ICND1 had plenty of it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

rafikki posted:

It's been awhile since I took it, do you have to subnet poo poo by hand on the ICND2? I know the ICND1 had plenty of it.

I think most of the subnetting here was for route summarizations. I could be wrong on that though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

rafikki posted:

Not really. There might be a few things like "Why can't these two computers talk?" and one of the answers could involve verifying the routing table, which would in turn require some subnetting, etc. But it's nowhere near like ICND1.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Subnetting was the easiest sauce on the test for me.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, I deal with subnets all day every day, but I don't do them by hand. If I'm not sure if they will overlap, I just punch them into a calculator. I learned how to do them by had for the ICND1 but it's been a year and a half since I did that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm taking ICND1 next week. Some of my coworkers are recommending writing out all the subnets before I start, but man, I just find subnetting so easy I feel like I'd save time just doing them by hand as the questions come up.

Haven't really made my mind up yet on how I'm going to do it. I'll probably write them out anyway just as insurance against stupid mistakes from test jitters.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Sheep posted:

Depends very much what you mean by 'technical school'. For-profits like ITT Tech and University of Phoenix are mostly gigantic wastes of money but reasonably accredited community colleges (which could also often be called technical schools since they tend to provide degree programs in employment-related skills rather than liberal arts) can be a fantastic deal.

Edit: the confusion isn't helped by the whole technical vs vocational and regional vs national accredication malarky either.

I was mostly referring to the horror stories about the Microsoft certs I've heard on this thread

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Welp, by some miracle I actually passed the OSCP. Ended up with 85pts including my lab report. Happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From what I can gather about this, MS is giving free vouchers to the 70-743 to upgrade an MCSA 2012 to 2016... except the 743 doesn't seem to be available yet?

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/posts/how-to-upgrade-to-mcsa-windows-server-or-sql-server-2016-for-free

Maybe it's just "here's a voucher for the exam when it's available" but it doesn't quite make that clear.

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005

Renegret posted:

I'm taking ICND1 next week. Some of my coworkers are recommending writing out all the subnets before I start, but man, I just find subnetting so easy I feel like I'd save time just doing them by hand as the questions come up.

Haven't really made my mind up yet on how I'm going to do it. I'll probably write them out anyway just as insurance against stupid mistakes from test jitters.

I would strongly recommend writing out a CIDR-to-netmask/usable/increment table during the end of your "tutorial" time. I also found subnetting very easy, trivial math. I even kind of enjoy working it out tbh, kinda like the satisfaction you get from a Sudoku. However, on my version of the test I got what must have been the absolute maximum of subnetting Qs. I think my test had 47 Qs and I could swear that 25+ required some subnetting be done. Sure, i probably could have finished by doing the work as the problems appeared but it took a lot of pressure off to have the table done. Just be certain you don't make any mistakes building the table...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doug posted:

Welp, by some miracle I actually passed the OSCP. Ended up with 85pts including my lab report. Happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

How much do the PWK labs prepare you for it?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MJP posted:

From what I can gather about this, MS is giving free vouchers to the 70-743 to upgrade an MCSA 2012 to 2016... except the 743 doesn't seem to be available yet?

https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/posts/how-to-upgrade-to-mcsa-windows-server-or-sql-server-2016-for-free

Maybe it's just "here's a voucher for the exam when it's available" but it doesn't quite make that clear.

14 days to complete two more exams? Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

psydude posted:

How much do the PWK labs prepare you for it?

The labs are great preparation for the exam. I'd say the labs run a difficulty from 1-10 and the exam is maybe 6-6.5 on that scale. For reference I got root on maybe 14 or so servers in the lab(less than half) and still passed the exam. However, the labs should not be taken lightly. There is very little instruction really given. There are some basic concepts in the course material, but expect to spend a lot of time doing independent research while in the labs. If I can over-emphasize one point it would be to learn privilege escalation and techniques for finding privesc vulnerabilities. This is often not something you'll find by googling "x software version x.x" as it's really more of a holistic view of the system and exploiting misconfigurations or overly generous permissions.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

14 days to complete two more exams? Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.

Yeah, seriously, the amount of unrealistic expectation in the promo is crazy if you're only one exam in, or haven't started studying for the upgrade exam.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Doug posted:

The labs are great preparation for the exam. I'd say the labs run a difficulty from 1-10 and the exam is maybe 6-6.5 on that scale. For reference I got root on maybe 14 or so servers in the lab(less than half) and still passed the exam. However, the labs should not be taken lightly. There is very little instruction really given. There are some basic concepts in the course material, but expect to spend a lot of time doing independent research while in the labs. If I can over-emphasize one point it would be to learn privilege escalation and techniques for finding privesc vulnerabilities. This is often not something you'll find by googling "x software version x.x" as it's really more of a holistic view of the system and exploiting misconfigurations or overly generous permissions.

Much appreciated. How tiring was the 24hr lab time to comb through?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Much appreciated. How tiring was the 24hr lab time to comb through?

The 24hr lab time was exhausting. I started at 1pm Sunday afternoon, took a break around 8 to go home for a bit of family time, came back at ~9:30, went back home at 12:30, slept for a bit and then came back at 6am and I was pretty much done by 11-12. The most important thing is really just taking care of yourself. I had a couple of big breakthroughs after each of my breaks. The more breaks the better...force yourself to get up, walk around, don't eat in front of the computer, etc. I probably pushed myself a little too far in that regard because I ate very little in that 24hour span and definitely didn't get enough sleep.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Anyone know if the CCNA Collaboration (CICD & CIVND) tests you on using CCP at all?

I really hope that's finally gone away.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It shouldn't.

redi
Mar 29, 2016
Just found out about the new CCNA, Cyber Ops

Looks like it could be interesting. Plus there's a whole scholarship that they're handing out for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Interesting. I wonder how a brand new cert that relatively few people will have heard of, even though it's Cisco, will look on a resume.