Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Let's be clear, the leave campaign was racist.

Most people who voted leave are not racist, although may have been made to feel racist concerns by the racist campaign.

Some people who voted leave are racist out of ignorance (people in former industrial areas who have leaked to ukip).

Some people who voted leave are racist due to bigotry, (edl, bnp).

E: mods work fast, but why was I the first to report the guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

So....anyone like to make predictions as to the timeline to the EU collapsing and Russia taking over the entire continent?

Timeline

October, 2016 or previous: Scotland, Northern Ireland leave Britain, dissolving the UK and leaving England alone.

November, 2016: Global economic meltdown caused by Brexit increases Trump support, lending him to win election. World economy gets worse, USA withdraws from NATO

June 22, 2017: Russia signs Warsaw Pact: Resurgence and commences Operation Bagration v 2.0 and makes it to the Meuse in 4 months, Paris is declared an open city, new communist regime in Vichy.

Red Square, October 2017. Soviet banners fly, Red Army marching through the streets.

You thought Putin was disloyal to the revolution? KGB's ultimate plot fulfilled in only 20 years. Trump is dead, and Europe is Red.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KaptainKrunk posted:

"UGH loving RACIST POOR WORKING CLASS MORONS RUIN EVERYTHING FOR ME AND MY SMART CULTURED FRIENDS!" is exactly the wrong response to have.

well those idiot racists certainly don't deserve any congratulations for crashing the global economy, so what is the best way of engaging these backwoods hicks? In real terms, please, none of this "stop calling racists racists" bullshit. If it means just lying to the world about how xenophobia isn't actually racism then just admit that and be done with it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Woke up in sunny ol' Canada to find out that David Cameron is history's greatest coward. Resignation and buck passing combined in a single milquetoast speech! What a loving weasel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How many loving times do we have to point out that this thread is mostly working class posters.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

idk if a petition has ever achieved anything but there's one for a 2nd referendum that's been getting like 1000 signatures a minute

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

A simple 50%+1 majority was awful for such a huge decision anyway. I'd agree they do it, but some damage is already done. A "lol just kidding" would at least be a few fingers in the dike though

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Pissflaps also predicted "we are stuck with Corbyn until the next general" so, um, could you predict I'll never find a large sack of gold?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

KaptainKrunk posted:

People's lack of sympathy for the working class ITT and elsewhere is exactly why the Left is dead. "UGH loving RACIST POOR WORKING CLASS MORONS RUIN EVERYTHING FOR ME AND MY SMART CULTURED FRIENDS! WHAT ABOUT MY TRIPS TO THE CONTINENT?" is exactly the wrong response to have.

This is right. It isn't even their fault. This shouldn't have been up for vote because the public have been poisoned by eu scapegoating for decades.

This is all on David "put his ham in the Spam" Cameron.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Nah, there's way more damage to come in future, just wait.

E: Congrats vegetables you win a giant flaming turd with VOTE LEAVE stamped on it.

I'm listening to some of these companies, and the vast majority of them are already saying they are going to have to reconsider their UK offices.

No, the damage is done. And will get worse.

Best comparison a friend made

"Hey baby, I'm breaking up with you...."

2 hours later

"I was just kidding! Our relationship is healthy, right?"

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
https://twitter.com/louisa_compton/status/746279848180592640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

of loving course

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looking forward to Brits blaming all their problems on the EU now that they're no longer a part of if.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Namtab posted:

Let's be clear, the leave campaign was racist.

Most people who voted leave are not racist, although may have been made to feel racist concerns by the racist campaign.

Some people who voted leave are racist out of ignorance (people in former industrial areas who have leaked to ukip).

Some people who voted leave are racist due to bigotry, (edl, bnp).

A correct post.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Friendly Humour posted:

Looking forward to Brits blaming all their problems on the EU now that they're no longer a part of if.

This will continute to happen as long as there are Polish people in jobs British people used to have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I'm listening to some of these companies, and the vast majority of them are already saying they are going to have to reconsider their UK offices.

No, the damage is done. And will get worse.

Best comparison a friend made

"Hey baby, I'm breaking up with you...."

2 hours later

"I was just kidding! Our relationship is healthy, right?"

However actually leaving the EU is going to cause even more damage because it fucks up all our international trade, and some parts of our economy are heavily reliant on immigrant workers.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

KaptainKrunk posted:

The Left or what's left of it is still living under the delusional that the EU is a force for good or an instrument for standing up to Big Bad Corporations when it is neither of those things. In fact it is thoroughly captured by neoliberal capital and has no one's interests in mind but Eurocrats, financiers, and the lucky few able to squeeze out decent lives as white-collar professionals.

People's lack of sympathy for the working class ITT and elsewhere is exactly why the Left is dead. "UGH loving RACIST POOR WORKING CLASS MORONS RUIN EVERYTHING FOR ME AND MY SMART CULTURED FRIENDS! WHAT ABOUT MY TRIPS TO THE CONTINENT?" is exactly the wrong response to have.

Agreed, primarily because I think the above attitude is what is preventing the left from being able to persuade and convince the working class people who voted Leave. Namtab said something earlier about how labelling people racist shuts down debate - I think this is correct - it immediately puts people on the defensive as they perceive it as a personal attack, and so eliminates any possibility of persuading them.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

How many loving times do we have to point out that this thread is mostly working class posters.

You're not a real working class I guess unless you drive around in those UK style white vans, which are roughly analogous to pickup trucks for the "working class" here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mr_jolly posted:

"A Leave voter has admitted on national television that he didn’t think his ballot would matter and is now shocked the UK will now leave the European Union."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-man_uk_576cf8e4e4b08d2c5638ee29

What a loving twat

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Barry Foster posted:

Areas without significant multicultural populations strongly tend towards being very, very frightened/resentful of multicultural populations

But why is the north more afraid than Cornwall? We're surprised to see so much as a redhead living down here.

Except as tourists, of course. Maybe that's the difference.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

children break toy on hardwood floor, cry when it isn't lego, news at 11

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

You're not a real working class I guess unless you drive around in those UK style white vans, which are roughly analogous to pickup trucks for the "working class" here.

:lol: if you think i could afford a car.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

thecluckmeme posted:

You are human garbage with a trashomancer steadily funneling mana into a pile of refuse and bile

Not relevant to this discussion but this is loving genius lol

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

This has been the highest turnout political vote in decades, people aren't used to their vote actually counting for something with how ballsed up representation is

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

However actually leaving the EU is going to cause even more damage because it fucks up all our international trade, and some parts of our economy are heavily reliant on immigrant workers.

True. Either way, the entire referendum is a giant flop.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

and some parts of our economy are heavily reliant on immigrant workers.

Which is exactly why a large proportion of people voted to leave.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Phi230 posted:

Timeline

October, 2016 or previous: Scotland, Northern Ireland leave Britain, dissolving the UK and leaving England alone.

November, 2016: Global economic meltdown caused by Brexit increases Trump support, lending him to win election. World economy gets worse, USA withdraws from NATO

June 22, 2017: Russia signs Warsaw Pact: Resurgence and commences Operation Bagration v 2.0 and makes it to the Meuse in 4 months, Paris is declared an open city, new communist regime in Vichy.

Red Square, October 2017. Soviet banners fly, Red Army marching through the streets.

You thought Putin was disloyal to the revolution? KGB's ultimate plot fulfilled in only 20 years. Trump is dead, and Europe is Red.

How long until the Buggers show up and we form the Hegemony?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

KaptainKrunk posted:

That 51-49 split for capitalism on both sides is pretty disgusting actually

I'm very far from a fan of capitalism but I admit there aren't many other palatable options, and capitalism did get the West to where we are today, for good or ill. 50/50 seems about right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HJB posted:

You're an idiot.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Here's a Lord Ashcroft post-poll thing which has some demographic stuff and looks into why people voted - nothing really surprising

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

mr_jolly posted:

"A Leave voter has admitted on national television that he didn’t think his ballot would matter and is now shocked the UK will now leave the European Union."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-man_uk_576cf8e4e4b08d2c5638ee29

I've already had one person at work tell me the same thing. However, they were upbeat and optimistic and told me they were looking forward to seeing our country "stand on it's own two feet now we have taken back control" (not paraphrasing, that's word for word).

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

You're an idiot.

I see some people don't quite understand the Brexit mentality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HJB posted:

I'm sure they will be only too happy to compete on equally lovely terms as the workers they're replacing.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure they will be only too happy to compete on equally lovely terms as the workers they're replacing.

No, they will be getting paid more, as the immigrants will not be there to push down wages.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

IT BEGINS posted:

Not relevant to this discussion but this is loving genius lol

I was hoping the bar-stool-hooves would be quotable but thanks for making a loving awful night seem better :unsmith:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

My US headquartered international company had meetings this morning to discuss the impact on our business.

UK, you motherfuckers have hosed up big time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

The Left or what's left of it is still living under the delusional that the EU is a force for good or an instrument for standing up to Big Bad Corporations when it is neither of those things. In fact it is thoroughly captured by neoliberal capital and has no one's interests in mind but Eurocrats, financiers, and the lucky few able to squeeze out decent lives as white-collar professionals.

fwiw Guavanaut and I have been railing against that narrative itt

not v. successfully but c'est la vie

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HJB posted:

No, they will be getting paid more, as the immigrants will not be there to push down wages.

Overpopulation is not the reason we have depressed wages.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

you kept beating me to it lol

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HJB posted:

you really don't understand this economic collapse thing at all

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lol if you actually believed that Cameron would stay post brexit vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of the older people/pensioners who voted seem to believe that the Polish/Nigerian/etc care workers will be happily replaced by bubbly Yorkshire lasses who will be content to wipe their bums for them for minimum wage/zero hour contracts.

I have sympathy with many of the people who will be affected by this, but not them. gently caress them. They can lay in their own poo poo and piss

• Locked thread