Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just make the legal voting age 20-60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

A voting test is a terrible idea, but for referendums it seems like there should be an independent party that provides a pamphlet with a concise and simple explanation of what you are voting on. Nothing contentious, just the basics - what is the EU for example. Hand it out to every voter in the months leading up to the election and again at the polls.

Here in Oregon, we get a voter pamphlet mailed in to us weeks before the election. It has a list of all the ballot measures and elections with explanations and statements from supporters and opponents. You read and make your choices at your leisure, then drop it off or mail it in.

It's a really fantastic system.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheBalor posted:

Here in Oregon, we get a voter pamphlet mailed in to us weeks before the election. It has a list of all the ballot measures and elections with explanations and statements from supporters and opponents. You read and make your choices at your leisure, then drop it off or mail it in.

It's a really fantastic system.

Same in California. If they don't do that in Britain they should really reconsider holding any referendums.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jack of Hearts posted:

Same in California. If they don't do that in Britain they should really reconsider holding any referendums.

At the rate that the now privatized Royal Mail charges, the UK would need a bailout from the EU in order to afford mailing the ballots that people can vote to leave the EU on.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Volkerball posted:

Just make the legal voting age 20-60

the youngs weren't the ones who screwed this up for everyone. in fact they voted the most consistently against brexit

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Condiv posted:

the youngs weren't the ones who screwed this up for everyone. in fact they voted the most consistently against brexit

:thejoke:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

over 60 being out would more than make up for it. 18 year olds don't know what the hell they are talking about either.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

More like :thatstheidea:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't it the responsibility of the respective campaigns to make sure that the people know what the hell they're voting for (and voting their way)?

Alternatively, isn't it the responsibility of the government that's about to hold a referendum to structure it in such a way that it's not going to result in the outcome that's disastrous for them themselves?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't it the responsibility of the respective campaigns to make sure that the people know what the hell they're voting for (and voting their way)?

for the right the first tends to directly effect the second pretty negatively

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alternatively, isn't it the responsibility of the government that's about to hold a referendum to structure it in such a way that it's not going to result in the outcome that's disastrous for them themselves?

sometimes the more malicious side can make it difficult with lies and arguing in bad faith!!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, but you probably shouldn't trust a guy who skull hosed a dead pig to do it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the gish gallop is real and it's much quicker and more effective to stamp their face into the dirt than refute the bullshit

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TyrantWD posted:

A voting test is a terrible idea, but for referendums it seems like there should be an independent party that provides a pamphlet with a concise and simple explanation of what you are voting on. Nothing contentious, just the basics - what is the EU for example. Hand it out to every voter in the months leading up to the election and again at the polls.

My county does this for local referenda and a few other things.

Edit: And I think you can find for-against argument synopses from a nonpartisan group for Texas-wide things, you just have to look On The Internet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jack of Hearts posted:

More like :thatstheidea:

Racism is bad, but somehow ageism isn't.

Okay.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The test isn't super hard but it is extremely ambiguous

Exactly the idea. :toot:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My guess is the Remain campaign simply struggled to convey how leaving the EU would affect the everyday lives of people. There was a lot of talk about macroeconomic problems that would arise, but it really needed to be distilled down to things like price of milk, working-class jobs etc.

But the bigger problem, I think, is public polling. If polling surfaced that Leave was going to win, Remain would have taken it a lot more seriously. As it was, it seems everybody thought Remain would win.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Star Man posted:

Okay.

I wasn't arguing, I was suggesting a better smiley for your response.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Star Man posted:

Okay.

why should people get to make decisions about futures that they aren't going to be a part of?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

My guess is the Remain campaign simply struggled to convey how leaving the EU would affect the everyday lives of people. There was a lot of talk about macroeconomic problems that would arise, but it really needed to be distilled down to things like price of milk, working-class jobs etc.

But the bigger problem, I think, is public polling. If polling surfaced that Leave was going to win, Remain would have taken it a lot more seriously. As it was, it seems everybody thought Remain would win.

I think the problem is people are easily swayed by lovely propaganda

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Volkerball posted:

why should people get to make decisions about futures that they aren't going to be a part of?

why should people get to be part of nations they weren't born in?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shipon posted:

why should people get to be part of nations they weren't born in?

Why should people get to be part of nations they were born in?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Volkerball posted:

"Sarah Connor" posted:

And now one road has become many. Though questions remain, we'll search for the answers together. But one thing we know for sure. The future is not set.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I think the problem is people are easily swayed by lovely propaganda
You can't fix that. Best to focus on things that can be fixed.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Star Man posted:

Okay.

We don't let 5 year olds vote either you dolt.

I don't think an age limit would be a good idea but your line of reasoning is moronic.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I want people to look at the 1st Scottish Referendum and compare it to the EU Referendum in terms of campaigning, results, reactions and the white papers.

• We had over two-three years to think about Scotland and the UK. The UK had almost six to eight months to think about the EU as the referendum just popped up out of nowhere a few months ago in the media and general public awareness.

• The Yes and No campaigns never reached a state of racial hatred compared to the Leave campaign for EU.

• The Yes campaign was seen as the positive but idealistic side of things while the No Campaign was seen as the realistic but negative side of things. Remain and Leave were both so negative and dysfunctional that Remain didn't have much to promise on if it wasn't a brexit and leave got away with making poo poo up as it went along as both campaigns were full of Blairites, tories and general morons.

• The Yes Campaign had a white paper for the future of Scotland if we left. Leave had none and pretty much went "It be fine, don't worry about it. Great Britain is great. It survived the blitz etc etc."

• Some No Voters for the Scottish referendum started to regret their vote once the Vow wasn't delivered in full, when the Tories got in it increased slightly again. The Leave voters are now regretting their decision immediately and half of the No Voters have preety much went leaning to Yes as a result from what I've been hearing and seeing lately (Take it with salt.)

• The currency, economics and the EU was preety much the deciding point for people to vote no. The pound has taken a beating so much that the Euro might actually be realistically an option, The econmics for Scotland are going to be screwed thanks to Britain crashing the markets harder then was expected and we actually only started to reach our target on rewenable energy and small amount of increased housing and the EU? Do I really need to explain what this is going to do to a country that voted as a majority to remain? As a country that actually wants more pro-immigration because of the effect of braindrain and emigration for years and has relyed on the EU to keep it's farmers from commiting suicide?

Remain reasoning was preety much the same as above. Leave was all about Immigration and how we get more money if we leave.

• That the Scottish Referendum allowed 16 year olds to vote who actually acted more mature then the elderly and allowed people living in Scotland regardless of nationality or ethnicity to vote. The EU referendum forbid EU nationals to vote and kept the age at 18 regardless.

• The European court of human rights is preety much favoured by most people in Scotland and they support it for multiable good reasons. The voters for the Leave campaign were preety much "Human rights allow those terrorists to live here and get away with things"

There's a lot more but that's generally things that come to my mind and that's not even going into the more juicy parts like tourism, oil, exports and imports etc etc. And of course we have Nothern Ireland as well which is going to be interesting and worrysum if it gets anywhere with a possible referendum of unification.

I mean I'm not expecting Troubles 2: Electric boogaloo but then I wasn't expecting a Brexit either :suicide: And god knows if Scotland gets involved considering there are talks with Sinn Fien and the SNP in how to deal with this.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

For the first part: The latter tends to matter much more than the former. There's no legal requirement that political campaigns accurately inform people about the issues (they may be prevented from blatantly lying but it's easy to get around that by just making statements of opinion or conjecture) and it's often in your best interest as a candidate to muddy the waters as much as possible so you can win on simpler things like charisma.

For the second part, generally yes but Cameron really hosed up. He could easily have set the threshold at a supermajority rather than 50% + 1, or hell just not held the loving referendum. There are reasons why a nation might sometimes have a vote to do something severe in various extreme circumstances, but the UK's economy and political situation is not nearly extreme enough to merit it.

taqueso posted:

Don't the Swiss actually do this? i.e. being born there does not immediately grant you citizenship.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 25, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PT6A posted:

Having a question like "I am aware that my vote can influence this election" wouldn't really be an intelligence test, just a way of determining whether you actually understand the purpose of what you're doing.

People will just fill in the Yes box anyway no matter if they actually understand what they're voting about, so it's a waste of time all round.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dumb Question Time: why does continuing to trade with the EU mean acquiescing to their authority on so many issues?

The US has trade deals with EU countries, and last I checked we didn't agree to give permanent green cards to their members to make it happen.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
^because of the single market
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTypBKEd8Y

taqueso posted:

I love this question.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/out-of-luck

quote:

1) If Brexit makes it look like the UK may split apart within 5 years, the opportunity costs of negotiating with the UK just are high. USTR isn't that large an office, so negotiations with the likes of EU states (TTIP) and China are probably going to take a higher priority when deciding how to use scarce resources. TPP will probably have to go back to the negotiating table somehow for another round of negotiations if it's going to pass the next Congress. A temporary US-UK deal may not be worth the manpower. If anything, we'll probably be more concerned about where to locate the UK's nukes that are currently located in Scotland.
2) My general impression from the people I know at USTR is that the failure of TPP (and also the Sanders and Trump campaigns) has left a lot of people there shellshocked. USTR needs a win for it to be taken seriously, but spending time on negotiating with a country that might not exist in 5 years would just look foolish.

3) The next president also doesn't want to intentionally annoy the major EU states. The next British PM is probably going to be weak until elections are held. Chances are Clinton (if she wins) will care more about our productive relationship with people like Merkel than some blowhard like Boris Johnson, who is just a bull in a china shop. The major remaining EU states together - Germany, France, Spain, Italy and Poland - matter to us more than the UK by itself. These EU states and the EU as a whole would be annoyed by the US playing nice with a country that just openly insulted Europe. If anything, the EU will want to increase the economic pain on the UK to create disincentives to leaving. That is why EU officials are talking already about fast-tracking the UK's exit.

:laugh:

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
https://youtu.be/WPZn4rbiB8g

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Craptacular! posted:

Dumb Question Time: why does continuing to trade with the EU mean acquiescing to their authority on so many issues?

The US has trade deals with EU countries, and last I checked we didn't agree to give permanent green cards to their members to make it happen.

Because the goal of the EU is to be more like the United States, a strong association of multiple independent states with open border and free trade.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Basically it's because the US has a much stronger bargaining position than the UK when it comes to the EU market. The EU needs the UK but the UK needs the EU a lot more.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Craptacular! posted:

Well, there's the fact that if you want to sell your product in another nation, you generally have to try to abide by their regulations (at least if you want to do it legally). This is true of just about anywhere. And EU is the UK's biggest customer by far since they're right across the channel.

There's also the fact that this sort of shenanigan potentially weakens the EU and they need to demand a pound or two of flesh in return to prevent from looking weak. Weakness that may cause more exits until the EU is nothing but Germany and a few smaller nations. Mix this with the fact that the Brexit vote has already mauled the UK's reputation simply because the racist, nationalistic, jingoistic genie is now out of the bottle there's no clean or easy way out of this mess, and for the UK it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. Which means the UK is going to be rather weakened at the bargaining table and going to have a hard time keeping the EU from picking and choosing which pounds of flesh it gets.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Leverage.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Vegetable posted:

All I heard from the media in Australia was "It will be bad for trade, it will be bad for the stock market, it will be bad for RICH PEOPLE". I thought that was because the media here was only caring about that, but it sounds like that was what was being reported in the UK too.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fangz posted:

Actually a means a shitload of money just got drained out of the economy where it was being used to pay wages, fund research, grow businesses etc and instead turned into 'safe assets' to stuff under people's metaphorical mattresses. This stuff does matter, though the impact will take time to fully emerge.

This is what happens in an actual recession, which is not what's happening yet. See how things go when markets reopen on Monday.

Certainly from a global perspective this doesn't matter much in the long run, which is why ELEVENTY TRILLION DOLLARS WIPED OFF GLOBAL MARKETS is a nonsense headline. But even from a British perspective, the stock market =/= the economy.

I mean, you guys are in for a rough time, but not because of the FTSE index.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Craptacular! posted:

The US and EU don't have a customs union and don't have truely free, tariff free trade.
Also, the EU needs the US market more than they need the UK market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nm posted:

The US and EU don't have a customs union and don't have truely free, tariff free trade.
Also, the EU needs the US market more than they need the UK market.

I for one, support closer ties between the U.S.A. and the E.U. Perhaps some sort of federal system of states that each follow individual laws unless they violate the federal rules and elect a president and representatives to the national body through a complicated, confusing system wherein no one actually votes directly for the President and most real power is held in numerous committees helmed by career politicians.

• Locked thread