Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Literally three posts above you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

anilEhilated posted:

Totally. The cuddliest ball of pure concentrated evil to ever grace gaming.
Speaking of horrible and evil yet somehow cuddly abominations, the fearsome shambler from Quake became a lot less terrifying when I found out it's actually supposed to be covered in shaggy white fur instead of gross dead skin or whatever.

He's just a big teddy bear! :3: With... gigantic claws that will rip you apart... and the ability to electrocute you to death from a 50-meter distance... and a huge gaping maw where his face should be. But still!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Doc Morbid posted:

He's just a big teddy bear! :3: With... gigantic claws that will rip you apart... and the ability to electrocute you to death from a 50-meter distance... and a huge gaping maw where his face should be. But still!

So just like a real bear, then.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I don't know what kind of bears you have over there, but the ones we have here can't (or won't :tinfoil:) shoot lightning and generally have eyes and noses and that kind of thing.

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

I don't know what kind of bears you have over there, but the ones we have here can't (or won't :tinfoil:) shoot lightning and generally have eyes and noses and that kind of thing.

Pffff... you young people and your non-electrocuting benosed safety-space bears. Back in my day, we had REAL bears and *mumble mumble mumble*

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

anthrax posted:

Pffff... you young people and your non-electrocuting benosed safety-space bears. Back in my day, we had REAL bears and *mumble mumble mumble*
They just don't make bears like they used to....

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013

LogicalFallacy posted:

They just don't make bears like they used to....

Yeah, this new generation is just *puts on glasses* unbearable!

Well, I'll show myself out now. No need for the pitchforks.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

anthrax posted:

Yeah, this new generation is just *puts on glasses* unbearable!

Well, I'll show myself out now. No need for the pitchforks.
One pun is fine, we can all just grin and bear it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm going to the bear pits tomorrow. Wanna come with? The bears have got these new muzzles with underslung cheek spikes. Last time I was there, *lol* there was a real eye-gouging.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 23, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

double nine posted:

I'm going to the bear pits tomorrow. Wanna come with? The bears have got these new muzzles with underslung cheek spikes. Last time I was there, *lol* there was a real eye-gouging.
Thank you. I was hoping someone in this thread would recognize my quote.

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013
drat. It's obviously been waaay too long since I played Thief... That went totally over my head.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

LogicalFallacy posted:

Thank you. I was hoping someone in this thread would recognize my quote.

I recognised it, but I think non-furry shambler is marginally better than cutelightningdeathbear.

Killer bears. Would've liked to have seen that...

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Woebin posted:

One pun is fine, we can all just grin and bear it.

Just ursine around, I guess. I mean things aren't always black or brown, polar opposites. Once you get down to the grizzly truth, you can't panda to the absolutists unless you want to lie like a rug.

Koala.

P.S. The fuzzy shambler owns. Looks like the Abominable Snowman from Monsters, Inc. or the Rankin/Bass stopmotion Rudolph Christmas special.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe to get us back on track, here's two of my favorite Doom articles on the 'net. I don't agree with all of the points there but the main ideas are, I think, very valid.

20 Years Of Doom: The Most Influential Shooter Ever
..Or "why is Doom a platformer".

The Most Misunderstood Game Of All Time
...Or "why haven't we got anything like it for a long, long time".

e: And yes, the fuzzy shambler looks extremely huggable.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I was called here by the mention of bears through the power of a dumb national stereotype.

I have no bear puns to make.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
What is the current way of playing Doom (2) relatively hassle free on current PCs with Windows 10? I would prefer the engine being pretty close to original, just Win compatible.

I own both games on Steam.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Xarn posted:

What is the current way of playing Doom (2) relatively hassle free on current PCs with Windows 10? I would prefer the engine being pretty close to original, just Win compatible.

Download GZDoom and run it through that.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Xarn posted:

I think the ZDoom sourceport fits your needs. I believe it should automatically find the WADs, but even if it doesn't, it's a simple matter of moving them to the same directory as ZDoom. It does update a few things, but basically all of the modern amenities can be disabled in the options.

edit:^ GZDoom is what I usually use, but it changes the graphics significantly. ZDoom is much truer to the original look.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 25, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Xarn posted:

Chocolate Doom tries to be as close to the original as possible. Keeps some rendering glitches in, even. It works a treat. Just turn off vertical mouse movement and wasd your way through hell.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
(G)ZDoom is your best shot. It's required to run a lot of modern .wads too.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Thanks, I'll check them out.

---edit---
So I am using ZDoom and I am pretty sure the original Doom wasn't THAT dark and when I mess around with brightness, the bright area become painfully bright. Is my memory lying, or do I just need to wait till its dark outside?

Xarn fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 25, 2016

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Only tangentially related (and from far in the future of this LP), Machinegames of Wolfenstein:TNO and Wolf:TOB fame just put out a new Quake 1 episode for free to celebrate the various iD anniversaries.

https://twitter.com/machinegames/status/746363189768650752

Probably shouldn't directly link the file on SA, but if you want to avoid Twitter for whatever reason it shows a link here:
cdn.bethsoft.com/quake/dopa.rar

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

This page has been a bit overbearing, but regardless
Here's Part 4 of Doom

Also, I'm seconding Chocolate Doom for a hassle free solution to Windows Dooming while being as close to the original as possible. I personally use GZDoom these days myself, but it's pretty far off from the original EXE.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Only tangentially related (and from far in the future of this LP), Machinegames of Wolfenstein:TNO and Wolf:TOB fame just put out a new Quake 1 episode for free to celebrate the various iD anniversaries.

https://twitter.com/machinegames/status/746363189768650752

Probably shouldn't directly link the file on SA, but if you want to avoid Twitter for whatever reason it shows a link here:
cdn.bethsoft.com/quake/dopa.rar

It's incredible that this exists. Haven't played it yet, but definitely adding it to the list of things to do in this LP.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Temin_Dump posted:

This page has been a bit overbearing, but regardless
Here's Part 4 of Doom
Of course there's a new video as soon as I get home from a workday where I've done nothing but trying to find ways of wasting time. Of course.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Woebin posted:

Of course there's a new video as soon as I get home from a workday where I've done nothing but trying to find ways of wasting time. Of course.

Sorry :(

I was gonna have it out yesterday, but there were technical difficulties and I had to re-render the video.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Xarn posted:

Thanks, I'll check them out.

---edit---
So I am using ZDoom and I am pretty sure the original Doom wasn't THAT dark and when I mess around with brightness, the bright area become painfully bright. Is my memory lying, or do I just need to wait till its dark outside?

Use software rendering

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Temin_Dump posted:

Sorry :(

I was gonna have it out yesterday, but there were technical difficulties and I had to re-render the video.
No worries, I meant it more as a joke than anything :)

Are you planning on playing through Romero's two newer Doom levels? He released alternate versions of E1M8 and E1M4 via Twitter not too long ago.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

So quick note on that texture that had y'all confused. It's called GRAYDANG, so it does appear to be a danger/authorized personnel only kind of symbol.
Here's a better look at it if you'd like:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

So quick note on that texture that had y'all confused. It's called GRAYDANG, so it does appear to be a danger/authorized personnel only kind of symbol.
Here's a better look at it if you'd like:

That's clearly a "No Commander Keens allowed" sign.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also because sharing anecdotes from childhood Doom is cool:

Me and my brother always called the lightning balls our big red friends fire "cacobolts". I insist it is the correct name.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Xarn posted:

You think that's bad, try playing Doom 64. The ZDoom port at least lets you turn the brightness up, but the original console version is almost literally unplayable most of the time.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
here's a gif of the tower being built

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Shooting the cyberdemon until it died was the right choice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Minty posted:

here's a gif of the tower being built

Worst decision of Doom 2: getting rid of the map. As a kid struggling with every level - what can I say, this was one of the first games I played - I spent a lot of time gazing at the map screen imagining what mysteries lie behind those alien sprites.
Or, in the case of Command Center, why the hell is there a giant cake on the map.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't see how Command Center is worse than Halls of the Damned. Both of them had areas filled with too many monsters and plenty of monster closets, but Halls of the Damned had darkness on top of that. Command Center looks harder to navigate, based on the fact that you moved around with the computer map on and the general windiness of the level, but I prefer that to areas with poor lighting.

On the plus side, I like how Doom Guy's eyes glow when he's got invulnerability.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Gloomy Rube posted:

Use software rendering
Haven't found that setting, and google search tells me thats in gzdoom only. I did however find a setting called "use fake contrast" and turning it off helped a lot in areas with transitions between dark and lighted areas.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
The Command Center totally looks like a converted D&D dungeon map.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The lost souls' inability to keep a target while infighting is clearly because they're a bunch of flaming hotheads guys.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
So, me and a couple friends like to play Doom with a mod that multiplies the enemy count by 10, and last time we went through this episode I completely forgot about the secret level and we had to fight like 50(?) barons at once because I went through the wrong exit door.

We later abandoned the ep at the end because we somehow lured all ten cyberdemons into the player spawn with us inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Now that I'm watching the earlier videos, I just want to point something out.

There were people at Blizzard that wanted to produce a game based on Warhammer, but a bad experience working on licensed games with DC Comics made them reconsider the idea. WarCraft: Orcs & Humans borrwed a lot of elements from Warhammer and Westwood's Dune II, who developed the first RTS game as we know the genre. StarCraft borrows a lot from Warhammer 40,000, but there was never any intention of trying to get a licensed game based on 40K. Although, the zerg were originally called the "Zurg" and Blizzard changed the spelling of the name to avoid any backlash from Pixar or Disney when the game was still in alpha.