Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 26, 2012

I've definitely seen rogues not take improved sneak. It's really not that much more damage (7 average at highest tier when a lot of games aren't going to get there) and rogue does have enough interesting ones that it doesn't feel like a no-brainer.

What I'd like would be a prescribed balance of combat and noncombat talents - like every class has like 3 combat, 1 noncombat they can take and a pool for each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I ran the adventure today, and it went really well! We had a guy who maybe played D&D once in the 70s, a younger relative of his, a woman who was watching and possibly related, and another guy who is a regular RPG player. The older guy asked if it was like Malifaux, and I explained how I'd be describing situations and then you'd narrate what your heroes do - I was a bit apprehensive but everyone seemed to catch on quickly.

I'm sure some rules were done wrong, (the most experienced guy was actually damaging himself on a miss!) but really I think 13A has a lower learning curve than people assume. The hardest part for new players seems to be breaking bad habits they've acquired from other games, and if they're coming in fresh and new-to-RPGs they don't have to unlearn anything. The montage sequences were actually a kind of fun, refreshing thing - Someone fed a riding llama to a giant eagle, and that's not a thing most games are going to let you do.

Interestingly, one player's OUT was that he reminds everyone of their dad. Wow that came in handy for the final encounter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I have a custom list of Icons I'm going to be using for my coming campaign and my players, perhaps rationally, are pretty resistant to reading stuff before a campaign.

Do you think it'd work to have them do Icon relationships as we play over the first few sessions? Every time we hear about a new Icon or encounter an NPC affiliated with one, I'll ask them if any of them have a history with that Icon, and, if so, what kind and how extensive? They'll assign their three Icon dice as we go. Might even try to do the same with backgrounds and OUT since I know my players tend not to want to think too much about backstory before they even start playing.

On a related topic: has anyone seen any particularly interesting custom Icon lists? Mine is pretty well set, but I'd love to read up on some nonstandard uses of the system (factions, gods, fuckin' zodiac signs or something).

moths posted:

Interestingly, one player's OUT was that he reminds everyone of their dad. Wow that came in handy for the final encounter.

That's the best OUT I've ever read.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 18, 2016

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

01011001 posted:

I've definitely seen rogues not take improved sneak. It's really not that much more damage (7 average at highest tier when a lot of games aren't going to get there) and rogue does have enough interesting ones that it doesn't feel like a no-brainer.

What I'd like would be a prescribed balance of combat and noncombat talents - like every class has like 3 combat, 1 noncombat they can take and a pool for each.

OR you can just design your optional noncombat abilities to have a cool combat hook on top of the noncombat ability, thus removing the need to make the players choose between the really fun ability and the really mechanically good ability.

Buuuut if we're getting real here abilities like Swashbuckle should be a Class Feature instead of a Class Talent.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Evocation is the worst thing in the book; do not allow it.

Sorcerers are mostly fine because they're gated behind having to spend a round doing nothing. Gather Power is good pretty much just for dailies. It CAN be shockingly powerful, but it's not nearly as bad as evocation is.

I've never actually had a wizard using Evocation in one of my games before. The player was using a pre-gen that had Evocation also, so I didn't want to pre-emptively make them change the character. Still, at least they weren't using the pre-gen wizard from the adventure, which has Evocation and Force Salvo, with the by the book Adventurer Tier feat.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Improved Sneak Attack is a terrible talent because it's horrifically boring, adds not a ton of damage (but enough to be noteworthy), and adds the damage in boring ways.

At least murderous is exciting. More crits means more moments where a player is suddenly really awesome.

But when all is said and done, giving the player the option to be literally just +Maths better at a thing they can already do is boring as sin. And should be seen AS a sin. Talents should give new options or open up new ways of using previous options.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
What 13th Age does well, it does really well.

What 13th Age does poorly, it still does better than D&D, with the exception that I actually prefer the 5e monk over the 13TW monk. But you have to play 5e for that monk, so it's sort of a wash.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Captain Walker posted:

What 13th Age does well, it does really well.

What 13th Age does poorly, it still does better than D&D, with the exception that I actually prefer the 5e monk over the 13TW monk. But you have to play 5e for that monk, so it's sort of a wash.

I get that the 13a monk has problems but...the 5e monk?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

I get that the 13a monk has problems but...the 5e monk?

I actually agree with that; 5e monk is less obtuse and more effective.

Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Improved Sneak Attack is a terrible talent because it's horrifically boring, adds not a ton of damage (but enough to be noteworthy), and adds the damage in boring ways.

At least murderous is exciting. More crits means more moments where a player is suddenly really awesome.

But when all is said and done, giving the player the option to be literally just +Maths better at a thing they can already do is boring as sin. And should be seen AS a sin. Talents should give new options or open up new ways of using previous options.

Agreed. Murderous also encourages you to go after staggered targets specifically which is at least a slight alteration in play style compared to stuff like ISA and Two-Weapon Mastery which are solely passive and non-prescriptive.

-Fish- posted:

OR you can just design your optional noncombat abilities to have a cool combat hook on top of the noncombat ability, thus removing the need to make the players choose between the really fun ability and the really mechanically good ability.

In that case you're still deciding between noncombat + some slight combat thing (a la Tracker) vs. a full combat talent, in which case you've improved the situation but not solved the problem. Either that or if the noncombat ability's combat hook is on the same level as the combat-only talent then it's the clear choice most of the time.

I'd also accept "put a noncombat hook on every combat talent and vice versa" as a solution though.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

01011001 posted:

In that case you're still deciding between noncombat + some slight combat thing (a la Tracker) vs. a full combat talent, in which case you've improved the situation but not solved the problem. Either that or if the noncombat ability's combat hook is on the same level as the combat-only talent then it's the clear choice most of the time.

I'd also accept "put a noncombat hook on every combat talent and vice versa" as a solution though.

I think my problem with that is I'd rather you split things into taking three social, exploration, combat talents, because there's been times in games where I really liked a bit of it, but not the other bits.

Edit: And now I realized I just described Tavern Tales.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the core problems for 13A is that the rules are extremely light everywhere but combat, so naturally combat feels like where you should be putting the bulk of your character's mechanical complexity. At the same time, the authors don't seem to have fully grasped that themselves, so there are a lot of 'spend this thing for either a combat or a non-combat resource' choices in PC building.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
13th age combat also doesn't really know what it wants to be and is just at-odds with itself in a lot of places, and doesn't really do anything new or interesting compared to its predecessors except for the escalation die (and stuff that interacts with it, which is few and far-between) which is dead simple to port to a better combat system.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I'm making a Druid for a game and I'm wondering if there are any recommended homebrew fixes? I've read that it suffers from being very lackluster; having to spend all its talent points just to do what other classes do even before talents.

Any Druid advice in general, really. I'm probably going to be making a Shifter.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Rhjamiz posted:

So I'm making a Druid for a game and I'm wondering if there are any recommended homebrew fixes? I've read that it suffers from being very lackluster; having to spend all its talent points just to do what other classes do even before talents.

Any Druid advice in general, really. I'm probably going to be making a Shifter.

Give it extra class talents at the same level the Ranger would normally get them.

Dec 26, 2012

djw175 posted:

I think my problem with that is I'd rather you split things into taking three social, exploration, combat talents, because there's been times in games where I really liked a bit of it, but not the other bits.

Edit: And now I realized I just described Tavern Tales.

Night10194 posted:

One of the core problems for 13A is that the rules are extremely light everywhere but combat, so naturally combat feels like where you should be putting the bulk of your character's mechanical complexity. At the same time, the authors don't seem to have fully grasped that themselves, so there are a lot of 'spend this thing for either a combat or a non-combat resource' choices in PC building.

Yeah, both of these are reasonable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the things keeping me from using something like 4e is the giant pile of feats that I'll have to sift through on my players' behalf (only one of them would ever do it on his own). 13th Age gives me that semi-crunchy combat without a pile of complex feats, paragon classes, and epic destinies, not to mention dozens of powers per class, to deal with along the way. I'll take its flaws as a trade-off.

I really haven't found much better for a relatively lightweight fantasy RPG system that supports miniature-based combat, which I suppose is kind of a shame because 13th Age never quite goes beyond good into great. There's also Strike, but my characters really love them some upward progression and I'm not sure they'd like the "your numbers don't really move all that much" aspect.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 21, 2016

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

If anyone is interested in playing a demo of VHS Fansub, the classic Anime-inspired as-of-yet-not-officially-13th-Age-compatible game I've been working on with Ryven Cedrylle, I'm open to running demos tonight and Thursday night.
Game will be played over Roll20 and you'll need a working mic.

The classes are still in beta so expect the occasional hiccup or on the fly patch.

There'll be 7 demo sheets available.

Shounen - Inspired by DBZ and other punchmans anime. Damage dealer capable of acting as a tank if needed.

Shoujo (Artifact Master) - Inspired by Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura. Ranged spellcaster that uses flexible ranged attacks, balances damage output and healing.

Shoujo (Card Master) - Inspired by Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura. Ranged spellcaster that changes Drive States to alter their ranged basic attack, can use cards from its Deck of Destiny to add new effects to battle off-turn with improved effects based on current Drive State. Heavy empasis on healing and buffing.

Animist (Dreadnought) - Inspired by Final Fantasy. Gish warrior with an emphasis on dark magic and constant spirit summoning.

Animist (Conjurer) - Inspired by Final Fantasy. Gish warrior with an emphasis on dark magic and calling powerful Final Fantasy-style summon, meaning the summon shows up does its thing and disappears.

Raider - Inspired by Link, Mega Man, and others. Highly mobile gadgeteer with an emphasis on battlefield control with the ability to dish out a fair amount of damage.

Trainer - Inspired by Pokémon and Digimon. Customizable tank with occasional bursts of mobility.

If you're interested in playing either tonight or Thursday, Sign Up Here

If you can't make it this week don't worry, more demos will be going soon.

Edit: Tonight's demo cancelled due to lack of response. Figured it'd be a long shot since it was last-minute but wanted to see what I could round up since I had the unexpected opportunity to run. Still recruiting for Thursday.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 22, 2016

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
^^^ well this makes the week more interesting. I've been waiting to see how this turns out.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

We've got two additional classes in development, the Flower Duelist and the Demon Hunter, but the rest of the player content is ready to test so we can make sure it all plays nice together.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a simple fix for monk? One of my players wants to make a barbarian/monk multiclass luchador character. I'm cool with that, but I don't want him to end up with a weak and incoherent mess.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

-Fish- posted:

If anyone is interested in playing a demo of VHS Fansub, the classic Anime-inspired as-of-yet-not-officially-13th-Age-compatible game I've been working on with Ryven Cedrylle, I'm open to running demos tonight and Thursday night.
Game will be played over Roll20 and you'll need a working mic.

The classes are still in beta so expect the occasional hiccup or on the fly patch.

I'll join! Never played 13th age but I have read the book more than once.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Does anyone have a simple fix for monk? One of my players wants to make a barbarian/monk multiclass luchador character. I'm cool with that, but I don't want him to end up with a weak and incoherent mess.

I've heard good things about the Improved Monk over at Vault of the 13th Age, though I haven't gotten a chance to use it/see it used myself. Covok put it together. I know it reduces the MAD issue that the Monk has, but I'm not sure what else is different.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Ragnar34 posted:

The Improved Monk that Harrow linked does a good job of making the Monk a bit better than it is in 13TW, but I think your player would be better served using the stalwart class as a luchador instead of multiclassing barbarian/monk. The stalwart has grabs and is based around the idea of being a larger-than-life fighter, which imo better embodies the spirit of masked wrestling. The barbarian/monk meanwhile, will need to decide whether to do monk forms (which need three turns to build up to their maximum effectiveness) or rage and use basic attacks. Your player could use monk forms while raging at the cost of an adventurer-tier feat, but they lose the primary benefit of raging (rolling 2d20 for attacks).

I'd suggest showing them the stalwart and seeing what they think, but if they're really attached to the barbarian/monk multiclass then the improved monk certainly wouldn't hurt.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I emailed both of those to him. I hope he chooses one of those, because they're both cool and good. In fact I think someone in this thread said the stalwart is overpowered, not that I would mind all that much. If he trivializes too many encounters in an unfun way then I can find ways around it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

dbzfandiego posted:

I'll join! Never played 13th age but I have read the book more than once.

Cool! Go here and add your name and preferred class.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Barbarian/Monk MC is kind of bad, absolutely requiring you to invest in 4 stats and having no synergy. Monk really doesn't MC well at all because it needs a specific stat spread and with the way its forms go through, you really don't want to miss any steps. It also drops your damage die because why not poo poo on the monk more?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Harrow posted:

I've heard good things about the Improved Monk over at Vault of the 13th Age, though I haven't gotten a chance to use it/see it used myself. Covok put it together. I know it reduces the MAD issue that the Monk has, but I'm not sure what else is different.

Funny you ask that. See, I forgot to make a changelog. But, basically, it restores some useful talents from the playtest (such as Drunken Fighting), it has 100s of rebalances throughout (such as removing an attack hitting the attacker on a miss), and makes the Monk a skillful class so it's damage dice doesn't drop if it MCs with another skillful class.

Still, Stalwart may be better as Monk doesn't MC well.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RE: earlier discussion about 13th Age's strength and weaknesses, I think the best niche I've found for it is as a gateway game - in the same way that games like Carcasonne or Ticket to Ride work really well to draw people into the idea of weightier boardgaming than Monopoly or Cluedo, 13th Age servers as a good bridge between Dungeons & Dragons (which is far better than Monopoly or Cluedo - even 5e - but you see where I'm going with this) and other roleplaying systems.

A group of my friends have, over the last year, gotten into PnP rpgs from the continued gentle encouragement of myself and another friend - all that we could initially sell them on though was D&D - and they naturally seemed to gravitate to 5e because it was the newest and hey, that was what roleplaying was, right, Dungeons and Dragons? And it took off really well, I'm not playing in the campaign they're running but they've all gotten pretty solidly into it, and one or two of them are even coming up with their own stuff to GM which is fantastic to see.

But the idea of a system that isn't D&D is extremely intimidating to them to begin with, and anything storygame didn't tend to track well with them - it's just too different to their expectations at this point in time. What 13th Age does well is integrating some story based mechanics into a pretty D&D-esque frame - the same players who would freeze up playing something like Dungeon World seem to do really well with the mix provided by 13th Age and as they keep getting more and more comfortable they become more and more open to the idea of lighter mechanics/more story focused stuff.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Completely forgot that Google Docs wouldn't track this for me, but if you signed up for the VHS Fansub demo I've updated the signup sheet with a field for email addresses. If you signed up, please add yours so I can contact you directly and send you the game invite when it's ready.

Edit: My schedule just opened up for Saturday so a demo for Saturday has been added too.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 22, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

-Fish- posted:

Completely forgot that Google Docs wouldn't track this for me, but if you signed up for the VHS Fansub demo I've updated the signup sheet with a field for email addresses. If you signed up, please add yours so I can contact you directly and send you the game invite when it's ready.

Edit: My schedule just opened up for Saturday so a demo for Saturday has been added too.

Signed up for Saturday. I gave you my Roll20 email so just send the invite whenever. Thank you!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

-Fish- posted:

If it's cool I'm jumping to Saturday. I just realized I had a conflict.

DeadReed
Feb 14, 2012
Signed up for Thursday and it seems I'll have my choice of Shoujo. Woo-hoo!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Razorwired posted:

If it's cool I'm jumping to Saturday. I just realized I had a conflict.

Not a problem at all :)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Harrow posted:

I helped Covok with it and there's a bunch of tiny changes to almost everything. Design philosophy was to go through the monk line by line and ask ourselves, "is this for balance? For flavor? For fun? Or because someone hates the monk with a passion?" Turns out huge chunks of the class seem to be because somebody really, really, hated monks. So we changed anything that resembled spite into something fun that was less mechanically powerful than a bard and called it good.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Fish, are you still planning to run the Saturday game? I'm down to play with two people total, but I understand if you aren't interested in running a 2-person test game.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I'm seeing right now if I can get anybody else in the game. Chances are good I can get 1-2 other people in by tonight.

Edit: Okay yeah, gonna have to cancel. My GM skills are a bit too rusty to run for just 2 people. Good news: There will be PLENTY more demos in future.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 25, 2016

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I could jump in and I think I could get another player with me.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

If I can get 2 more by 8pm EST then it's on like Donkey Kong

Edit: Okay that happened fast. Let's shoot for 8pm.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

What would a list of classes arranged by ease of play that included 13 True Ways and the Glorantha classes look like? Thoughts?