Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Actually...

https://twitter.com/TheCatbag/status/746818208821305344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hey Hand of Luke.

What are the Qud Dr Seuss books like? :allears: Get writing!

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I need to know how to pronounce Ctesiphus.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kobogartimer posted:

I need to know how to pronounce Ctesiphus.

It's basically pronounced similarly to Ctacean.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Thank you but I found the name Ctesippus and am getting mixed results for th- and hard K. I think Ctacean (Cetacean?) is latin and Ctesiphus sounds super greek so I dunno if that's where I would start. I'd like to request dev input.

I think I'm going to adopt a kitty.

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 27, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Test-E-Puss

C is silent.

It's ironic because Ctesiphus is friendly as the young girl who greeted the ray-cat found. :allears:

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I didn't know about The Ray Cat Solution, but now I do. This game is good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Roobanguy posted:

nice bears

Seriously, is that (amazing) concept art of the Barathrumites?

Bears With Hands does explain a bit about why the Putus Templars are annoyed with them.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Seriously, is that (amazing) concept art of the Barathrumites?

Bears With Hands does explain a bit about why the Putus Templars are annoyed with them.

If they are true Barathrumites they should have an extra knuckle iirc. Because short-fingers, they are smarter than your average bear. :smugdog:

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Kobogartimer posted:

Thank you but I found the name Ctesippus and am getting mixed results for th- and hard K. I think Ctacean (Cetacean?) is latin and Ctesiphus sounds super greek so I dunno if that's where I would start. I'd like to request dev input.

I think I'm going to adopt a kitty.

Tessifus, there abouts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Helical Nightmares posted:

If they are true Barathrumites they should have an extra knuckle iirc. Because short-fingers, they are smarter than your average bear. :smugdog:

I think they might!

Their regular-fingers are mega-long, and take a look at the thumb interacting with the box.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 27, 2016

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

hand of luke posted:

Tessifus, there abouts.

Tessie!

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

hand of luke posted:

Tessifus, there abouts.

Thanks, you and others.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think they might!

Their regular-fingers are mega-long, and take a look at the thumb interacting with the box.

:stare: yeah I'm counting four knuckles on the first two fingers and possibly four knuckles on the thumb.

We are such silly nerds. :allears:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Excellent.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kobogartimer posted:

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was joking. "Ctacean" is, as far as I'm aware, not a thing.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I finished Golgotha hopefully disease free, and have taken a bit of a detour into ruins and dipped into Jotun's room just to say nooooot yet. This Esper is the first time I've ever completed Golgotha before 18 and got my Masterwork carbine, though I feel weaker than a freezing hands stabby-shooter. I happened to already have a flamethrower so at 15 or so I Skulk-injected my way down to the Cloaca and set everything on fire, including myself and nearly roasting within my own force wall before I realized I could teleport :D

Which, hooray, so glad the flamethrower no longer requires a back slot to use. Probably a bug I assume, but that's so nice.

Mr. Lobe posted:

If you're Intelligent enough, invest in Tinker I and build some grenades, particularly fire grenades. Thermal grenades are a tremendous asset when trying to safely navigate the sludge-filled floor with the Slog. Also, an ice grenade or a flashbang can confuse the Slog so you don't have to fight it if worst comes to worst.

Wow, grenades. I finally hit 18 and got my 19 int for TInkering, and was given the option of Reasonance Mk III grenades. I took that and Lay Mine / Set Bomb, then went outside Grit Gate to learn that a Resonance bomb disintegrates a radius of 3; fulcrete was gone, though the shale remained. Really glad I set the timer to 10 seconds so I could run away and watch it via Clairvoyance, considering I tested a Sower's Seed bomb first.

I have a crag brainer as my beguiled follower, with like 24 AC. By skipping the 24 Ego to start with, I won't be able to tame a salt kraken any time soon, unless I get lucky with a proselytized face-chopper.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
By the way S.T.C.A., good updates to the OP.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Mutations refactored to support mods for Friday!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

S.T.C.A. posted:

I finished Golgotha hopefully disease free, and have taken a bit of a detour into ruins and dipped into Jotun's room just to say nooooot yet. This Esper is the first time I've ever completed Golgotha before 18 and got my Masterwork carbine, though I feel weaker than a freezing hands stabby-shooter. I happened to already have a flamethrower so at 15 or so I Skulk-injected my way down to the Cloaca and set everything on fire, including myself and nearly roasting within my own force wall before I realized I could teleport :D

Which, hooray, so glad the flamethrower no longer requires a back slot to use. Probably a bug I assume, but that's so nice.

Wow, grenades. I finally hit 18 and got my 19 int for TInkering, and was given the option of Reasonance Mk III grenades. I took that and Lay Mine / Set Bomb, then went outside Grit Gate to learn that a Resonance bomb disintegrates a radius of 3; fulcrete was gone, though the shale remained. Really glad I set the timer to 10 seconds so I could run away and watch it via Clairvoyance, considering I tested a Sower's Seed bomb first.

I have a crag brainer as my beguiled follower, with like 24 AC. By skipping the 24 Ego to start with, I won't be able to tame a salt kraken any time soon, unless I get lucky with a proselytized face-chopper.

Resonance 3 grenades are some Crazy loving Bullshit.

Best grenade in the game for most purposes and they don't require rare tinkering mats!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Thread Title posted:

Caves of Qud: You have udders.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
  • We added more modding support.
    • Added scripting (.cs) support for the following things.
      • parts
      • skills
      • mutations
      • effects
      • part builders
      • zone builders
      • encounter builders
      • inventory builders
      • conversation scripts
      • quest scripts
    • Mods that use scripting require manual approval on the Installed Mod Configuration screen. To navigate to that screen, you need to enable the overlay UI.
    • .rpm maps can now be fully or partially modded by including a map of the same name in the root of a mod folder. A load="Merge" tag combines cell elements instead of overwriting them. You don't need to define all the cells when modding an existing map.
    • Added two new tutorial mods, "Two Ctesiphus" and "Hued Ctesiphus".
    • Added a bunch of new modding documentation: https://freehold.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CQP
  • Added a separate overlay UI option to enable overlay buttons: From the Options menu, choose Overlay UI > 'Show overlay button bar.'
  • Drinking enough wine or cider gets you drunk again.
  • Our top sludge researchers have published their new findings.
    • When a sludge catalyzes a liquid, it now gains some levels, HP, and quickness.
    • Added lush and spiced sludges. Some arconaut in a hookah tent is telling everyone to let them hit you and you'll get a buzz.
    • Added sludgy sludges. Sludgy sludges attack with sludgy pseudopods and rust your stuff with sludge.
    • Added gooey sludges. They're probably poisonous.
    • Added putrid sludges. Don't fight them on a full stomach.
    • Added oozing sludges. These guys don't have any sort of negative effect so you should go introduce yourself.
    • Added luminous sludges. They're also friendly.
    • Added homogenized sludges. Findings redacted.
    • Added neutronic sludges. Then all the researchers died.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
After tonight's update adding scripting mods, the community is already burning the midnight oil.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Unormal posted:

After tonight's update adding scripting mods, the community is already burning the midnight oil.

*sweats profusely*

This is fine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is a natural rite of passage for any mod-friendly game

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ah yes, the Bethesda Effect

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
A mod that adds "also it has big tits" to the end of every creatures description.

edit: How hard is CoQ modding to get into atm? As an armchair game designer I wouldn't mind loving around with the games balance to see firsthand that all my ideas are bad.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 2, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

A mod that adds "also it has big tits" to the end of every creatures description.

I was thinking this but boobs that could be filled/refilled with milk and the milk does damage dependent on pressure in a diminishing arc as the volume of milk decreases.

I expect someone will have this modded in with temperature dependence by monday.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i will not rest until this game has the full possible complement of dick armour

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

:five:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Clever Spambot posted:

edit: How hard is CoQ modding to get into atm? As an armchair game designer I wouldn't mind loving around with the games balance to see firsthand that all my ideas are bad.

In my opinion it's pretty easy, assuming you have a working knowledge of C# for new parts. If you just want to play around with variations on existing behavior then it's even easier, just XML.

The docs are sketchy at the moment, but here they are: https://freehold.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CQP/Caves+of+Qud+-+Technical+Guidebook

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Hey, if any of you haven't reviewed Qud on Steam, please do! This is assuming you like the game. Otherwise, happily continue not reviewing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hand of luke posted:

Hey, if any of you haven't reviewed Qud on Steam, please do! This is assuming you like the game. Otherwise, happily continue not reviewing.

Gonna get back into this game and then review the hell out of it. It's been a while, but I need to go back so I can fail, fail again. This is actually my first true, non-cutesy (Sproggiwood, Dredmor) roguelike, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I actually appreciate the tileset that was posted last page because, while I have an imagination, getting a bit of help is nice. Plus I'm still getting used to actually doing everything that I'm able to do, shortcut-key-wise. I've died so many times because I didn't know I could do X or Y.

Speaking of, is there a really good starter character, and a guide on how to use them best?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Gonna get back into this game and then review the hell out of it. It's been a while, but I need to go back so I can fail, fail again. This is actually my first true, non-cutesy (Sproggiwood, Dredmor) roguelike, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I actually appreciate the tileset that was posted last page because, while I have an imagination, getting a bit of help is nice. Plus I'm still getting used to actually doing everything that I'm able to do, shortcut-key-wise. I've died so many times because I didn't know I could do X or Y.

Speaking of, is there a really good starter character, and a guide on how to use them best?

A marauder with carapace, freezing hands, mental mirror, thick fur, night vision, mental mirror and spontaneous combustion is a simple and effective start (the thread's titular "axe turtle"). Level up carapace and freezing hands as fast as you can; use freezing hands to debuff and disable anything that looks really threatening, and chop your enemies apart. Take 20ish strength and toughness, enough agility for dual wielding, and enough Int and Ego for a +0. Ditch Willpower; mental mirror will protect you from mind attacks. Thick fur and carapace will give you high enough heat resistance to not really be bothered much by spontaneously combusting. Wield an axe in each hand and kill things with them until they are dead.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
There ya go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716999309&searchtext=

I relieved his shoulder of the burden, His hands were freed from the basket.

e: Fixed link

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 4, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unormal posted:

There ya go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...s/?id=716999309

I can't believe this

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Unormal posted:

There ya go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716999309&searchtext=

e: Fixed link

I.... I needed this :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Unormal posted:

No two-donged trait? For shame.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Weird issue/circumstance; I'm playing Qud over Steam Link, and while both displays (PC and SL) can support 1080p the SL interface or something related pops through 1024x768 when launching so even if I select 1920x1080 from the launcher when it pops through to the actual game I'm back at 1024x768. Probably not high on the list of issues people might be having, and my setup is incredibly bizarre (PC connected to the TV downstairs in the space large enough to support the Vive, Steam Link connected to a smaller TV I can actually sit close to upstairs in the office) but if this is something explicable or fixable that would be neat.

Edit: Fixed it, sort of. Steam link is weird.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Benly posted:

A marauder with carapace, freezing hands, mental mirror, thick fur, night vision, mental mirror and spontaneous combustion is a simple and effective start (the thread's titular "axe turtle"). Level up carapace and freezing hands as fast as you can; use freezing hands to debuff and disable anything that looks really threatening, and chop your enemies apart. Take 20ish strength and toughness, enough agility for dual wielding, and enough Int and Ego for a +0. Ditch Willpower; mental mirror will protect you from mind attacks. Thick fur and carapace will give you high enough heat resistance to not really be bothered much by spontaneously combusting. Wield an axe in each hand and kill things with them until they are dead.

Ok, so while I'm still getting used to this game, and I VERY much appreciate this build (created and saved! :toot:), I'm only barely inching forward. With that, I have to know... how big is this game? I heard that it was something like a million 'tiles' large... is that true? I know outside of main areas, it's all procedurally-generated, so I understand how that could be possible, sure, but I've barely been able to trek far enough to get that sense of scale.

Funny story, I totally thought that the ponds in Joppa were FRESH water, so I filled up all of my waterskins with it. Then I read the description of the water. And tried to fast travel far away, and inevitably died of thirst. :negative:

I love this game.