Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
leyonhjelm might be gone though god willing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

muel posted:

Interesting documentary about far right groups on SBS last night

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/705551427989 - The Goddam Election! with John Safran

shave your beard safran you're not fooling anybody

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tommofork posted:

Oh my god Bolt's hot take on Brexit is fantastic.

Now you've made me read it!

Professional poo poo Smear, Andrew Bolt posted:

Shocked by the invasion of Europe last year by more than 1 million illegal immigrants from the Muslim Third World, Britons have particularly voted against mass immigration and Europe’s open borders. They have voted against multiculturalism and the lie that all cultures are equal and equally deserving of respect.

:barf:

Andrew 'I'm not racist, just a homophobe' Bolt posted:

Note also another growing fear arising from the British vote — that the public, if given a say, will reject the restraints and the policies foisted on them by the elite.

Note the especial panic that Australia’s voters will say no to same-sex marriage at the plebiscite promised by the Liberals.

“We have to be wary of parallels but the Brexit result shows what can happen with popular votes,” warns regular ABC commentator Michelle Grattan, claiming that a plebiscite could unleash the kind of hatred she claimed to detect in Britain’s vote.

How odd that the Left now fears the masses it once claimed to speak for.

:barf: :barf:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
those crazy leftists are acting like us rational right wingers would murder someone for disagreeing with us

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Having compulsory can stop stupid poo poo happening. The UK had 46.5 million elegibile voters, and 17.4 million voted to leave. That's less than 38% of the electorate.

A referendum here would never get up on such weak support.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Now you've made me read it!

:barf:

:barf: :barf:

especial.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
gently caress I hope for Labor minority.

I've also noticed the ABC getting slowly more right wing. Leigh sales went for the neck of Bill but only slightly roasted Turnbull.

It's weird.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Seagull posted:

leyonhjelm might be gone though god willing

Him leaving and Pyne/Briggs losing their seats would make my night at this point. Not hoping for any more good news, minority Labor government died on Friday with Brexit.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

I've also noticed the ABC getting slowly more right wing. Leigh sales went for the neck of Bill but only slightly roasted Turnbull.

It's weird.

The fact check stuff started going after the ALP a bit more too.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
John Howard talking about instituting protections for bigots to refuse service to gay couples if gay marriage goes through.

Also saying the we would never except a foreign court ruling over us like the British did with the EU. :laffo: says the ISDS mechanism

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

It's weird.

Not really, every time the Libs accuse the ABC of lefty bias they overcorrect to the right to ensure their funding doesn't get slashed (further).

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SKY COQ posted:

Him leaving and Pyne/Briggs losing their seats would make my night at this point. Not hoping for any more good news, minority Labor government died on Friday with Brexit.

Greens picking up more lower house seats is good news to look forward to, and quite likely.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Not really, every time the Libs accuse the ABC of lefty bias they overcorrect to the right to ensure their funding doesn't get slashed (further).

there's a critical flaw in this strategy in that their funding will be slashed regardless

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Seagull posted:

there's a critical flaw in this strategy in that their funding will be slashed regardless

Well yes, but that doesn't stop them from trying

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Don't worry you'll feel much better on Sunday with another three years of Liberal rule to look forward to

Yeah but it's different to the last election. It'll be 3 more years of the same poo poo we have now instead of voting in a better government. Sure it's bad when you think of what you could have had, but it's not going to be worse than it is now. Senate should be able to hold the fort or three years.
Last election, however, was going from something that was passably good despite leadership turmoil (and bipartisan issues that would have been bad regardless) to letting the wreckers in.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Mad Katter posted:

Greens picking up more lower house seats is good news to look forward to, and quite likely.

Maaaaaaaybe Batman and Higgins, but I'm not holding my breath.

Christensen is also a potential casualty, that would be lovely.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hooman posted:

John Howard talking about instituting protections for bigots to refuse service to gay couples if gay marriage goes through.

To be honest I don't mind the idea of churches being able to decline to hold same sex wedding ceremonies. Their views shouldn't be imposed on society at large but if they want to be fuckwits within their own religious circle that should be up to members of said religion.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah but it's different to the last election. It'll be 3 more years of the same poo poo we have now instead of voting in a better government. Sure it's bad when you think of what you could have had, but it's not going to be worse than it is now. Senate should be able to hold the fort or three years.
Last election, however, was going from something that was passably good despite leadership turmoil (and bipartisan issues that would have been bad regardless) to letting the wreckers in.

No.

Further slashing the tax base.

Missing the last possible chance to make any sort of meaningful contribution to climate change mitigation

A publicly funded tidal wave of bile and hatred directed at gay and trans people at the end of which we may not even get a SSM bill passed.

This is just the stuff we already know they're going to do

The next term is going to be a whole loving world of poo poo.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

To be honest I don't mind the idea of churches being able to decline to hold same sex wedding ceremonies. Their views shouldn't be imposed on society at large but if they want to be fuckwits within their own religious circle that should be up to members of said religion.

he's not talking about churches, he's talking about any and all businesses.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Can the Libs cut the company Tax Rate with a hostile senate?

Yeah I think Churches is well not ok, but a compromise that is necessary, but Howard was talking about non religious groups, bakers, photographers, general venues, basically open season on saying "no Gays allowed".

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

it's not going to be worse than it is now.

Famous last words

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

No.

Further slashing the tax base.

Missing the last possible chance to make any sort of meaningful contribution to climate change mitigation

A publicly funded tidal wave of bile and hatred directed at gay and trans people at the end of which we may not even get a SSM bill passed.

This is just the stuff we already know they're going to do

The next term is going to be a whole loving world of poo poo.

Famous last words

I'm not going to get depressed after the election. I'm going to continue being depressed after the election.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Blarg

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hooman posted:

Yeah I think Churches is well not ok, but a compromise that is necessary, but Howard was talking about non religious groups, bakers, photographers, general venues, basically open season on saying "no Gays allowed".

Yeah well that's hosed. It screams of the less deluded members of the right realising they'll lose the plebiscite and are trying to attach conditions that will sate their apatite for being fuckwits in pro-SSM society.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
people have a right to be bigots, but not to bigoted people

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
please respect my right to not respect you

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm sure the Church of Satan would be cool with you putting up a 'no homophobes' sign up in their name.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Other than the fact people in small towns with limited options could be SOL, and just generally because it would make people feel like poo poo about the biggest event in their lives to be turned away for such a dumb rear end reason, it would be nice to see bigoted businesses run themselves into the ground by refusing clientele and trashing their own word of mouth.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
ABC Bias might have something to do with the fact that they appointed a Murdoch shill to head the organisation too just maybe.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

muel posted:

Interesting documentary about far right groups on SBS last night

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/705551427989 - The Goddam Election! with John Safran

I saw that it was a lot better than i expected. It was good, even.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Kat Delacour posted:

Other than the fact people in small towns with limited options could be SOL, and just generally because it would make people feel like poo poo about the biggest event in their lives to be turned away for such a dumb rear end reason, it would be nice to see bigoted businesses run themselves into the ground by refusing clientele and trashing their own word of mouth.

they'd kick up a stink regardless, why not force them to make the cake that trashes their own name

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Seagull posted:

they'd kick up a stink regardless, why not force them to make the cake that trashes their own name

I guess because I imagine people who have a nohomos law to hide behind will be openly bigoted whereas without they will just do passive-aggressive spiteful poo poo that is harder to prove and stamp out. Like how workplace discrimination for gender, race, sexuality, religion, family status, etc is against the law but you won't go hurting for people who are certain they've been dropped off the short list because of it. That's just an idle thought though, I am still not in favour of such an exemption for private businesses.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

There would actually have to be a law passed that specifically enacted enforcing this. All same sex marriage proposals I've heard of allows churches to marry who ever the gently caress they want and refuse who ever they want. Extending a protection for people refusing services outside of marriage on homophobic grounds would be a huge step backwards. Unsurprising little Jonnie would be suggesting it. Isn't he scheduled to die soon? Can we have a plebiscite on that?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SKY COQ posted:

Maaaaaaaybe Batman and Higgins, but I'm not holding my breath.

Christensen is also a potential casualty, that would be lovely.

I think we'll pick up one more this time.

If nothing else, the fact that Higgins is no longer safe for the Liberals is excellent. Such a change since last election.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

If nothing else, the fact that Higgins is no longer safe for the Liberals is excellent. Such a change since last election.

Seats becoming marginal due to the Greens and NXT are almost as good as winning them because suddenly you have a bunch of (sometimes pretty senior) LNP MPs getting worried about the effect unpopular policies will have on their job security and voicing their concerns.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Seats becoming marginal due to the Greens and NXT are almost as good as winning them because suddenly you have a bunch of (sometimes pretty senior) LNP MPs getting worried about the effect unpopular policies will have on their job security and voicing their concerns.

It's why, despite not being a fan myself, I think NXT's genuinely the best thing to happen to South Australia politically. The guy's going to clean house in a major way just by targeting ignored seats in an ignored state. Even if he doesn't get many seats (and he'll grab up a few for sure), suddenly people have to care about Adelaide.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

It's weird.

The ABC has been getting more and more right wing as more and more people have been appointed to positions in the ABC for right wing political reasons.

At some point I'm expecting critical mass and every change of government to be a Stalinesque purge across the board in every department, ousting every appointee under a previous government.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

DancingShade posted:

The ABC has been getting more and more right wing as more and more people have been appointed to positions in the ABC for right wing political reasons.

At some point I'm expecting critical mass and every change of government to be a Stalinesque purge across the board in every department, ousting every appointee under a previous government.

the libs already do this with everything every time they come into power

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

hooman posted:

Morrison has started to trot out the "mandate" argument again, so someone out back has shined up that old chestnut to argue that not to pass tax cuts to the party in power is overruling the Will of the People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst this week. :sigh:

• Locked thread