Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
About 2/3 through All Men Are Mortal by Simone de Beauvoir. Like the idea but it's starting to drag a bit. Part three felt wholly unnecssary. Although I suppose it is intentional in that the whole point is "nothing matters when you're immortal".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Yeah I read My Brilliant Friend too, it appears to be semi-edgy YA romancecore for people who want to pretend they are reading something good. Recommended for same people who like the adult Fault In Our Stars, A Little Life

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Mallamp doesn't like international feminist masterpiece

Shocking

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It was entertaining but if it wasn't Italian it'd be discussed at goodreads and foreveryoungadult.com instead of lit magazines

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I know the answer is "mallamp is dumb and trolling" but I am geniunely curious where you feel romance factors into the plot of My Brilliant Friend

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know the answer is "mallamp is dumb and trolling" but I am geniunely curious where you feel romance factors into the plot of My Brilliant Friend

don't give away anything please

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Someone who looks at any of the relationships between men and women in MBF and goes away saying "Oh a romance story" is a misogynist to a sociopathic degree

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
Babbitt
Sinclair Lewis

Before I started reading this book, I expected this to be like other literature books I've read - generally hard to get into at first, but eventually enjoyable. Instead, I found Babbitt to be a genuinely interesting novel from start to finish. Reading this book for me was like reading Dilbert comics or watching Office Space, initially funny because of how satirically it is, but eventually depressing because of how accurate it is. The main theme of this novel is the American culture towards conformity. I feel like whenever I read literature, I take away some sort of lesson, and the lesson in this book for me was just how average the problems I face in my own life are.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i haven't read ferrante yet (waiting for the latvian translation), but mallamp's opinion about ferrante being booker-rate lific seems to be widely shared by ppl who are hardcore into translated lit, tbh. and i don't thinki t's just snobbery against smash hits, because knausgaard got much smaller backlash from them - among women, too. but ehy, i'll read it this autumn and will let u know my thoughts!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Who are these people hardcore into translated lit who don't like Ferrante?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I recall Tim Parks calling Ferrante a publishing industry fad. Or possibly Knausgaard, and then it was in another article where he savaged Ferrante. In any case I've heard no one I respect praising her, so she's not getting anywhere near my reading list.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
Read The Plague and didn't realize it was about nazis until I read the wikipedia article :downswords:. Can someone also explain to me what The Fall was about.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I recall Tim Parks calling Ferrante a publishing industry fad. Or possibly Knausgaard, and then it was in another article where he savaged Ferrante. In any case I've heard no one I respect praising her, so she's not getting anywhere near my reading list.

Tim Parks is a vestigial organ of the "great male" tradition of writing throwing a temper tantrum that the world has moved beyond novels about educated upper middle class men bemoaning how hard life is

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

A Season With Verona owns though

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Tim Parks is a vestigial organ of the "great male" tradition of writing throwing a temper tantrum that the world has moved beyond novels about educated upper middle class men bemoaning how hard life is

Uhh, OK, but he is a literary translator, and as such a person probably somewhat in tune with the world of translated literature in English

Idiootti posted:

Read The Plague and didn't realize it was about nazis until I read the wikipedia article :downswords:. Can someone also explain to me what The Fall was about.

Like all Camus, mores

e: I just realised that "mores" is supposedly singular

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Uhh, OK, but he is a literary translator, and as such a person probably somewhat in tune with the world of translated literature in English

So? His condemnation is not directed at the particulars of translation of Ferrante as much as it is with the text of Ferrante itself.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I'm not sure what we're arguing about, I was just following on Latvian Dude pointing out that Ferrante hasn't been praised unanimously by people into world lit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I'm not sure what we're arguing about, I was just following on Latvian Dude pointing out that Ferrante hasn't been praised unanimously by people into world lit

Fair enough, when I said "Who are these people" I was not challenging the notion that these people existed, I was saying "Show me what some of these people are saying."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

blue squares posted:

don't give away anything please

Read for the plot much, fucker.

ProSlayer posted:

Babbitt
Sinclair Lewis

Before I started reading this book, I expected this to be like other literature books I've read - generally hard to get into at first, but eventually enjoyable. Instead, I found Babbitt to be a genuinely interesting novel from start to finish. Reading this book for me was like reading Dilbert comics or watching Office Space, initially funny because of how satirically it is, but eventually depressing because of how accurate it is. The main theme of this novel is the American culture towards conformity. I feel like whenever I read literature, I take away some sort of lesson, and the lesson in this book for me was just how average the problems I face in my own life are.

Babbit was a lot of fun I dug the thing about the Elks.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
I read for the babes to be quite frank.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
Sartre in the streets, Camus in the sheets.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Little Red Chairs is interesting. The book spoils the plot unapologetically in every single blurb but then the plot goes in insane directions that could not be predicted even within the context of the story.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ProSlayer posted:

like reading Dilbert comics ... initially funny
Are you sure about this?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Idiootti posted:

Sartre in the streets, Camus in the sheets.

Sartre was actually the kinky one, though

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
oblomov in both the streets and sheets

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
mallamp also dismissed A Little Life as 'YA with more rape' iirc

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol lots of YA getting attention these days I guess

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Top5 sports books: The Fight by Norman Mailer, A Season With Verona by Tim Parks, Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach (fiction), What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami and On Boxing by Joyce Carol Oates

I doubt other Tim Parks books are as good though, I've rarely heard of him in other context. I think Where I'm Reading from had some hype though

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
top 1 sports book: universal baseball association

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I always forget to actually read Coover, good project for this summer

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
as for ferrante, most of the lit blogs i read (mookse and gripes, quarterly conversations, complete review, three percent, tonysreadinglist, antonomasia and hadrian on goodreads, etc.) liked it, but none of them recommend it wholeheartedly, with a couple being much more sceptical. even those who do recommend it, focus on readability, how it drew them in and psychological acuteness of the author, instead of quality of prose or depth, or ambition. that's perfectly fine though, and i am curious enough about it to be looking forward to reading it. i love my dickens and austen just as much as i do marias and kadare.

also, interesting enough, none of the two translators from italian i know really liked ferrante's style. although one of them is doing the first book right now, and the other was offered one of the later ones (they work to different languages)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mallamp posted:

Top5 sports books: The Fight by Norman Mailer, A Season With Verona by Tim Parks, Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach (fiction), What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami and On Boxing by Joyce Carol Oates

I doubt other Tim Parks books are as good though, I've rarely heard of him in other context. I think Where I'm Reading from had some hype though

you forgot paper lion and have a nice day

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
Top 2 fishing books: The Old Man and the Sea, Moby Dick.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

mallamp posted:

I like Tim Parks, and I'm someone who is normally quite hostile towards overeducated middle Englanders so take that as you will. Hes written an awful lot though. I've mostly only read his non-fiction and a few translations but I like him enough to want to look into his fiction when I get a chance.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Idiootti posted:

Top 2 fishing books: The Old Man and the Sea, Moby Dick.

Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley, surely?!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I read The Art of Fielding as a wild card (from Mel Mudkiper). It was really good. Dragged in the middle a little bit, but it worked, since every character was hitting their rock bottom. Glad I read it while it was still summer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I read The Art of Fielding as a wild card (from Mel Mudkiper). It was really good. Dragged in the middle a little bit, but it worked, since every character was hitting their rock bottom. Glad I read it while it was still summer.

Yeah I always saw that book as like a Franzen novel that wasn't irretrievably up its own rear end

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Can anyone recommend books similar to that style of writing?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
John Irving books remind me of the Art of Fielding, but a lot better. I really disliked The Art of Fielding in just about every way. Irving books hit a lot of the same beats but have interesting characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

Can anyone recommend books similar to that style of writing?

Any specific aspect of the style?