Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Awww Yeah. :getin:

Drunk in Space posted:

Yet now it's being held up, along with the Long Dark, as a shining example of how to do EA right, and also seems to be one of the best-selling titles in this genre going by Steam.
Apparently its doing really awesome on Xbox1 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That is a sweet looking base holy crap. I'm gonna get back into this after the next update hits.

I'm really not sold on the mobile base thing though. I think the seamoth is good enough and I'd like more incentives to build real outposts in the unique locations instead.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
TLD runs worse and worse by every update. i need a new computer, a 2009 power mac isn't quite cutting it any more :(

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

TLD runs worse and worse by every update. i need a new computer, a 2009 power mac isn't quite cutting it any more :(

I'm noticing this as well on Windows. Granted my laptop is 8 years old now but it used to run absolutely perfectly. Now it gets hairy while indoors - again. They did an overhaul patch to fix things a few months ago. I would expect one shortly before or after story mode is released.

That said: this game is still loving amazing. I'm re-re-re-exploring locations looking for skill books. I appreciate a reason to leave my zone of immediate comfort on a 400 day old save. And the way wolf pack behavior works now makes hunting extremely dangerous.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm really not sold on the mobile base thing though. I think the seamoth is good enough and I'd like more incentives to build real outposts in the unique locations instead.
Assuming you mean the Cyclops as the Mobile Base?

For wandering most of the map the Seamoth is perfectly fine, yeah.However, the Seamoth has limits to how much you can upgrade its crush depth (800m IIRC) and the story will eventually take you deeper than that. AFAIK the deepest developed/partially built areas on the map go down to over 1500m and they're planning on going even further.

Not only will the Cyclops have a much deeper crush depth fully upgraded but they're going to update it to also be able to dock the Exo-Suit which is what will be used for ultra-deep exploration. In fact it may be required since I think I saw conflicting info on wheter or not you can even survive outside a vehicle that deep.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just grow creepvine on a planter in the middle of my base. Free lighting! :v: And yeah, stacked tanks can hold a huge amount of fish. Honestly, now that I have a filtration machine and the stillsuit I think I might just clear out my Airsack tank and use it for raising eggs or something. Hell, I barely do anything with my Peeper tank either, since I got a small arboretum going and even just two lampfruit trees produces more than enough food.

Currently sitting with my Seamoth sitting tucked inside a wreck in the Mushroom Forest, waiting for night to pass. Its scary at night this deep down. :ohdear:

Also I didn't realize the devs of this game were the same ones as Natural Selection until I found an NS2 poster. :v: Somehow sharing Alterra Corp just passed right over my head.

Where do you get all the titanium/quartz for a base like that? It feels like a bunch of work just to make a basic single-room + moon pool base with critical accessories, and then you're putting together the cyclops and saving your titanite for pressure compensator upgrades.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
We do have a Subnautica thread, by the way.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fennesz posted:

I'm noticing this as well on Windows. Granted my laptop is 8 years old now but it used to run absolutely perfectly. Now it gets hairy while indoors - again. They did an overhaul patch to fix things a few months ago. I would expect one shortly before or after story mode is released.

it doesn't even look that special, i mean it's pretty but not flashy in any sense of the word. i really hope they can get it light enough, i love the game too.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

it doesn't even look that special, i mean it's pretty but not flashy in any sense of the word. i really hope they can get it light enough, i love the game too.

It's the lighting. I get something like 150 FPS at night and ~120 FPS outside during the day. If I go indoors and light is shining through the window I get like 25.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fennesz posted:

It's the lighting. I get something like 150 FPS at night and ~120 FPS outside during the day. If I go indoors and light is shining through the window I get like 25.

well i hope they'll give the option to scale it down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bremen posted:

this thread otherwise gets like 3 posts a week and they're all about the long dork

it's fine.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
All these games could have their own threads. I like seeing the mix of hot Survival game of the week.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bremen posted:

Well don't bother linking to it or anything. Thanks for the heads up though

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I forgot how quickly things can go to poo poo in TLD. I was holed up in the mountaineer's hut for a couple days due to weather, and along the way decided to eat some wolf meat which translated into 10 more days at the hut. I was still exploring the area while infected, but I was afraid of not having enough energy if I started to climb (I had already failed to reach the top of the first rope once). When the infection did finally pass and I appeared all set to start climbing the mountain, an unrelenting blizzard came through and didn't leave until I was dead :( Instead of racing around outside for any sticks or branches I might have missed from the previous week, I stupidly thought I could warm up by resting in the bed. Of course this did nothing but exacerbate the problem, and I died trying to light my research books on fire due to hypothermia and dehydration. I realized while dying in the hut that when I first started playing TLD all I could do was scrounge for sodas and see how long I could survive in the camp office of mystery lake (now that I think about it I bet I had sodas in the hut's storage god dammit). 2 years later it is easily the one EA title I've put the most hours in and keep coming back to.

I also finished Firewatch over the weekend, and it really made me want a summer version of TLD.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tweak posted:

I also finished Firewatch over the weekend, and it really made me want a summer version of TLD.

Something that had the fire spreading mechanics from Far Cry 2, so you had to survive but avoid letting campfires to boil water getting out of control and setting fire to everything would be interesting.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Has anyone figured out a decent way to farm the new abilities in TLD? The best I've come up with is carrying ~15 sticks on you, using the magnifying glass to start a fire, add a stick, take the brand and use that to start 3 or so more fires without running the lowered success rate you get from the magnifying glass.

I'm just pissed off I fixed up four goddamn rifles before it actually contributed to the rifle skill :(

Tweak posted:

2 years later it is easily the one EA title I've put the most hours in and keep coming back to.

TLD is published and produced by Hinterland Studio.

By the way: sticks/downed limbs seem to appear each time a new storm rolls through. If you're really desperate for burnable material just get nekkid and run a lap around your shelter looking for sticks. The path in and out of Timberwolf Mountain is absolutely lousy with stick as well. The whole transition area and the first short area into TWM should net you somewhere around 90+ sticks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

He means Early Access.

Don't worry, it still throws me off every time too.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

honestly i don't like using it either i'm just following peer pressure from others.

And yea, I started again and I'm just now getting to Timberwolf Mountain and the first thing I did was gather every single branch and twig I could find surrounding the hut :v: helped that I found a hatchet before arriving this time

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Long Dark is a hard game to play for obsessive hoarders. :saddowns: I can't bring myself to leave food, drinks, or most medical supplies behind, because of fear that I'll end up stranded in an area without those things and end up desperately needing as many as I can get my hands on. Coupled with how nomadic the gameplay tends to be, and I'm currently toting around 100+ pounds of gear, slowly trudging through the snow.

I did at least give in and start leaving some of my food and water behind, along with firewood, firestarting equipment, and tools, at several key locations. I've now got a string of backup safehouses stocked with basic survival supplies throughout Pleasant Valley, plus at the dam in Mystery Lake.

I last played this game well over a year ago and the game world has literally more than doubled in size. So far I've started in Mystery Lake, gone from there to Pleasant Valley, and just made it to Coastal Highway, all over the course of about 11 days. Been attacked by wolves three times.

This is one of the best horror games I've ever played. When I encountered the wolf in the dam, I had a dull hatchet, a lovely bow, and two crude arrows, and I spent a hot minute in full panic mode frantically dashing around the turbine floor trying to avoid the wolf for long enough to put arrows in its face. I eventually succeeded, but drat, that was pants-shittingly intense.

It seems like rifle ammo is a lot more common than it used to be. Last time I played, it was rare for me to ever find enough ammo to even completely fill the magazine, while in this run through I've got a full mag, two full spare mags, and a couple loose bullets.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i watched some videos of subnautica last night and it looks friggin awesome! i'm 99% sure it won't run on my old rear end rig though :(

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

augh the only thing that makes me break from TLD is the crushing defeat of death after being too cocky and getting caught out in a blizzard :smith: I'm sorry survivor lady, at least we'll have 30 days of journal entries to remember you by

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tweak posted:

augh the crushing defeat of TLD after being too cocky and getting caught out in a blizzard :smith: I'm sorry survivor lady, at least we'll have 30 days of journal entries to remember you by

i wish they'd optimize it more already, i need my survival fix! goddamn it do i need to buy a new computer for this poo poo

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

i wish they'd optimize it more already, i need my survival fix! goddamn it do i need to buy a new computer for this poo poo

Yeah if you can't run TLD you sure as poo poo won't be able to run Subnautica.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fennesz posted:

Yeah if you can't run TLD you sure as poo poo won't be able to run Subnautica.

i watched a few videos and figured as much.

oh well, TLD runs although slowly if i run it in a window with the resulotion pretty low, hah.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's time to upgrade your windows xp. :(

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013
The Long Dark is great, though I'm very frustrated that my third playthrough ended last night at the bottom of the Ravine - not because of a fall, the cold, or starvation, but because I got stuck behind invisible walls after trying to explore past the cave a bit.

I climbed up the hill above the cave and went along the rocks to see what was past there...climbed down to the river, with one small fall and a sprain. And couldn't get back out.

There are invisible walls over both parts of the river that are blocked with logs. I went as far as climbing up to the top of the mountain and back down as close to the train bridge as I could, and still got blocked out.

Couldn't alt-F4 out of the game and come back in either, because it saved the second I sprained my ankle 3/4 of the way down to the river.

Threw myself off the rocks until I died and restarted. 19 days, 7 hours. (And I play on Easy because I'm a wimp.)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Grillburg posted:

The Long Dark is great, though I'm very frustrated that my third playthrough ended last night at the bottom of the Ravine - not because of a fall, the cold, or starvation, but because I got stuck behind invisible walls after trying to explore past the cave a bit.

I climbed up the hill above the cave and went along the rocks to see what was past there...climbed down to the river, with one small fall and a sprain. And couldn't get back out.

There are invisible walls over both parts of the river that are blocked with logs. I went as far as climbing up to the top of the mountain and back down as close to the train bridge as I could, and still got blocked out.

Couldn't alt-F4 out of the game and come back in either, because it saved the second I sprained my ankle 3/4 of the way down to the river.

Threw myself off the rocks until I died and restarted. 19 days, 7 hours. (And I play on Easy because I'm a wimp.)

That's actually quite realistic :ghost:

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I finally got a around to playing The Long Dark and it's great, really fun and fairly realistic, but the 24/7 blizzard is really getting to me. I haven't tried any of the newer scenarios, but I'm wondering if there are any mountains in this game that aren't a freezing hell. Really hoping for a tropical or temperate mountain experience sometime.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humble has a survival game bundle going on right now. Are any of them worth grabbing?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

If you're looking for non-horror non-space survival Shelter 2 was pretty decent.

e:Thanks for the heads up on a survival pack Evil Mastermind.

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 10, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

I actually really liked Tharsis, but in the spirit of full disclosure a lot of people seemed to think it was pretty meh. It plays very much like a board game; you're on a spaceship with, oh, 6-7 rooms and have a crew to move around and do things. Every round you get 1-3 disasters, and have to move crew to them and roll dice to do things. If you don't fix a disaster, it applies a penalty and continues on to the next round.

So, let's say your round starts and you have a water leak in the hydroponics bay. The leak might be, say, Repair 9 and the effect -1 food. You move a mechanic there who rolls 4 dice. You can keep any number of those dice and reroll the rest again (once, except for one crew who gets extra rerolls). You can assign any dice that total at least 9 to fix the leak, but since you're in the hydroponics bay it might have a special that you can assign any two matching dice to gain 1 food, and since the crewman is a mechanic he would have a special that he can use a 5 or 6 die to repair 1 hull damage, etc. If he were a doctor, he might have an option to restore the health of a nearby crewman, etc.

So basically a combination of survival game, FTL, and Yahtzee. I had a lot of fun with it.

Space Engineers is also really good, as a sort of minecraft in space for people who think minecraft is too simple. The engineers part is relevant; if you want a ship that can stop without turning around, you have to put an engine on the front as well as the back, etc. Strafing means engines on the sides, and if you want your mining drills to transfer to the cargo bay you actually need to build a duct between them, that sort of thing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Toadsniff posted:

I haven't tried any of the newer scenarios, but I'm wondering if there are any mountains in this game that aren't a freezing hell. Really hoping for a tropical or temperate mountain experience sometime.

The Long Dark is set in the Northern Wilds of Canada so you're going to be disappointed in those hopes, I'm afraid.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Long Dark is set in the Northern Wilds of Canada so you're going to be disappointed in those hopes, I'm afraid.

It's just a shame that these mechanics aren't being applied to other survival scenarios. Stranded Deep is terribly linear, The Forest is boring, and everything else is a pixelated artsy game. I could always fall back on Robinson's Requiem and get my eyes gouged out by a hawk. In other words, gently caress Canada. Good game though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Salt is kind of a tropical version of Long Dark, main difference being that Salt doesn't have anywhere near the engineering horsepower behind it.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Space Engineers for just over $5 is a fantastic deal, if you don't have it already.

I didn't like Salt much. Stranded III does it better, as ugly and weird as it is.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i think it's worth noting that Salt's biggest coup is that they got Rock Paper Shotgun's Bestest Best Exploration Award...

...for 2014.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What was it up against?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone made a good like camping simulator? Like TLD but just set somewhere in a park with animals and surviving in a realistic woods?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Dreadwroth posted:

Has anyone made a good like camping simulator? Like TLD but just set somewhere in a park with animals and surviving in a realistic woods?

I think most people just do that for real. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dylguy90 posted:

I will always recommend Subnautica, especially if you have a healthy fear of The Black Abyss

It may actually be helping me get over my thalassophobia! I want to be able to scuba dive someday. (Also I loving love survival and exploration games, and Subnautica is a really good one other than giving me mild panic attacks)