Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

gibb3h posted:

An episode out of date I realise but I have added death counts

Also geop, you had death 21 twice, once in the solo grinding at the end of the episode and then again for the first death in the following episode :pseudo:

You mentioned you wanted a better background image. Are any of these helpful? They're the menu textures from the first game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The biggest problem I can spot is that geop naturally raises his shield whenever he is low on stamina/just finished a combo/just finished rolling out of an attack. You barely recover stamina while your shield is raised, so he does not end up having enough stamina to avoid the next blows. This has seemed to cause around 10-15 of his deaths that I noticed.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow. I had so much trouble with that first hammer knight, it took me about twelve deaths to realise that I should be rolling to the sides/towards him, rather than directly away.

Anyway, here's the bit I've been bottling up since the start of the game, now that it's no longer spoiler territory: Heide's makes a very intersting contrast to the forest of fallen giants, and I think it's still a tutorial area of sorts. Remember how the forest was basically one dick move ambush/trap after another? Nearly every single encounter with enemies there had dudes hiding round corners, playing dead, snipers, explosive barrels, and all this poo poo at the same time, plus an invader if you were silly enough to run too quickly into that area with our friend dennis. I get the feeling that this was basically a showcase of tricks and bastardry to teach the player about environmental awareness and basically give you a little preview of the kinds of traps you'll have to deal with throughout the game.

Heide's, on the other hand, has (so far) been a series of straight-up fair fights. This area seems to be all about letting the player focus on the combat mechanics without really needing to worry about getting surprise-ganked at all. Ignoring the heide knights who don't aggro until the dragonrider's dead, you start with a duel against sword & shield old knight in a little arena clear of obstacles. Then the same versus a hammer knight, and a repeat of the sword & shield fight but with a more constrained space around the archway. After that, there's the big room (again another open, clear arena) where you can clearly see all the enemies inside before you enter or aggro them and even have the option of pulling and duelling the greatsword dude before needing to worry about the other two guys.
I could go on and analyse every encounter we've seen so far, but comparing Heide's to the Forest in this regard is like night and day. Both areas seem so singularly focused that it's got to be deliberate - once you've learned to fight clean at Heide's and learned about fighting dirty from going through the Forest, you're prepared for most things a Souls game is likely to throw at you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geop posted:

please like & subscribe :)

I will not like and subscribe to anything until you add that facecam of you throwing yourself around your house to compliment the video.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Alternate explanation: Heide is lazy as gently caress. I've probably been yammering on it in all DS2 threads but it's an area that smells of wasted opportunity - the sinking city would be a great place to explore, put in some water-based traps and monsters, puzzle out why the whole thing has been claimed by the sea, explain what those bigass statues at the start mean, end with something resembling a bossfight (Dragonrider... doesn't). Instead it's an area you can cross in five minutes and have no reason not to rush through.
Scholar made it a bit better with added enemies and the thing sleeping in front of the cathedral but it still feels like a big waste of a really pretty area.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The proportion of quality posts in this thread went up when it was locked. What a magical world.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wow. I had so much trouble with that first hammer knight, it took me about twelve deaths to realise that I should be rolling to the sides/towards him, rather than directly away.

One of the single least intuitive things in dark souls (in general, not just 2) is that dodging away from the thing trying to murder you is generally bad and painful. Instead you typically want to roll directly into swiping attacks and sideways from overhead attacks. Actually rolling backwards or away from the direction of the attack just means that you're still inside the attack's hitbox when the dodge invincibility runs out and you get clipped. This makes no real sense, but such are video games and their invincibility frames.

There are also plenty of enemy attack patterns where just circle strafing away in close quarters gets you out of the arc of an attack but rolling away doesn't. See: Pursuer, the.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh, Dragonrider. Do not be ashamed, though you're barely more than a standard enemy who wandered into a boss fog, for it is FROM that failed you by not giving you your dinosaur buddy from the concept art.

In any case, the Real Man way to fight him is not raising any of those platforms.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

In any case, the Real Man way to fight him is not raising any of those platforms.
And letting him fall to his death after first couple of swings, yeah.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
If this thread gets locked again, I just want to let you all know that I hate you dumb nerds for ruining everything.

But for now, everything is just hunky-dory! :)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
please provide the thread a list of approved and/or disapproved topics to discuss (obvious spoilers excluded, of course)

tia

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Geop posted:

please like & subscribe :)

Thanks for the alternative version without the music. Also stop being a babby about the thread.

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for putting up a version of episode 18 that conforms with Germany's silly laws.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

Alternate explanation: Heide is lazy as gently caress.

Well, yeah, this is true as well, it does reek of cut content and I'd buy someone having said "gently caress it, deadline's nearly here, just stick in a few bigger beefy guys to teach the player how to fight like a real man and make it a starting area". I love the late-afternoon seaside vibe they have going on there, and it really is a shame they didn't do more with the area.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 29, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look at the thing.
I'm looking I dont see anything.
LOOK AT THE THING.

:allears:

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
What a weird way of killing the Dragonrider Geop when you can do this:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Right, so on the Human Effigy thing.

Expanding on what Vicas said. In the original release, you could be invaded anywhere at any time, regardless of whether you're human or hollowed, unlike Dark Souls (where killing the area boss and/or being hollow prevents invasions). You could burn a human effigy at a bonfire to prevent invasions for 30 minutes or so, and I think you got a 30 minute grace period after killing a boss or being invaded (which reset if you changed areas or quit & reload the game).

In one of the later patches--which may have been the "Scholar" patch for the original version (changed everything but enemy/item placement)--From rigged it up so that killing an area boss automatically applies a permanent human effigy effect at the related bonfire(s), making it work like Dark Souls. However, if you really want people to be able to invade, you can use the option "Nullify human effigy effect" at the bonfire to cancel it (permanently) and allow invasions again.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

KieranWalker posted:

Right, so on the Human Effigy thing.

Expanding on what Vicas said. In the original release, you could be invaded anywhere at any time, regardless of whether you're human or hollowed, unlike Dark Souls (where killing the area boss and/or being hollow prevents invasions). You could burn a human effigy at a bonfire to prevent invasions for 30 minutes or so, and I think you got a 30 minute grace period after killing a boss or being invaded (which reset if you changed areas or quit & reload the game).

In one of the later patches--which may have been the "Scholar" patch for the original version (changed everything but enemy/item placement)--From rigged it up so that killing an area boss automatically applies a permanent human effigy effect at the related bonfire(s), making it work like Dark Souls. However, if you really want people to be able to invade, you can use the option "Nullify human effigy effect" at the bonfire to cancel it (permanently) and allow invasions again.
No, the patch just made it so that it auto-burns an Effigy at the Bonfire, you will still see the timer ticking down (this does not cost you an Effigy, of course). As far as I know, there was no such protection in the original release at all, which is why they added in the (temporary) auto-Effigy effect after bosskill.

"Temporary" being here in huge quotes because Forest of the Fallen Giants and Heide are a huge outliers: usually an area has one boss at its end, so you're highly unlikely to explore the area for more than 30 minutes in total after killing the boss.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

No, the patch just made it so that it auto-burns an Effigy at the Bonfire, you will still see the timer ticking down (this does not cost you an Effigy, of course). As far as I know, there was no such protection in the original release at all, which is why they added in the (temporary) auto-Effigy effect after bosskill.

"Temporary" being here in huge quotes because Forest of the Fallen Giants and Heide are a huge outliers: usually an area has one boss at its end, so you're highly unlikely to explore the area for more than 30 minutes in total after killing the boss.

Unless it's only permanent at specific bonfires? I can think of one off the top of my head which still has the effigy in effect hours and hours after fighting the boss, which I won't name because Geop hasn't been there yet.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
As far as I can tell, the invasion prevention timer only ticks down when you're actually in that area, so that might be causing some confusion here.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
I think the changes to Hide really shows how the Scholar devs tried to give some guidance to the player. That enemy sleeping in front of that tower screams "come back later".

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

As far as I can tell, the invasion prevention timer only ticks down when you're actually in that area, so that might be causing some confusion here.

I don't know. I haven't got time right now, but when I get home from work later I'm going to boot up DS2 and warp around between bonfires for a spell, see what's going on.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I, too died a lot to the old knights. I didn't understand how agility worked and I was a strength 2 hander guy in DS1 so figured I'd be an agile guy in DS2. Bandit started with a lot of Dex and a bow, but I didn't realize he has literally the worst possible roll in the game with 2 attunement and 3 adaptation for starting stats :hurr:

The old knights are also ridiculously slow with their swings and the big mace and greatsword guys will still track you on most of their attacks (except for the mace guy's big overhead chop). What I didn't realize is that despite how brutal their attacks looked they did very low stamina damage even using a shield I snagged off the vendor in town. Geop seems to have learned to lower his shield between swings at this point which makes them almost trivial.

I'm also a little mad at how rarely item drops occur in this game and how enemies stop respawning after 12 kills. The knights theoretically can drop their weapons and getting a big 2h mace at the start of the game with some persistence. They also drop (useless to me at least) cracked blue eye orbs all the time so every white glowy they leave behind gets your hopes up and then crushes your dreams.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Grizlor posted:

I, too died a lot to the old knights. I didn't understand how agility worked and I was a strength 2 hander guy in DS1 so figured I'd be an agile guy in DS2. Bandit started with a lot of Dex and a bow, but I didn't realize he has literally the worst possible roll in the game with 2 attunement and 3 adaptation for starting stats :hurr:

The old knights are also ridiculously slow with their swings and the big mace and greatsword guys will still track you on most of their attacks (except for the mace guy's big overhead chop). What I didn't realize is that despite how brutal their attacks looked they did very low stamina damage even using a shield I snagged off the vendor in town. Geop seems to have learned to lower his shield between swings at this point which makes them almost trivial.

I'm also a little mad at how rarely item drops occur in this game and how enemies stop respawning after 12 kills. The knights theoretically can drop their weapons and getting a big 2h mace at the start of the game with some persistence. They also drop (useless to me at least) cracked blue eye orbs all the time so every white glowy they leave behind gets your hopes up and then crushes your dreams.

If you join the hard mode covenant enemies respawn endlessly

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, yeah, this is true as well, it does reek of cut content and I'd buy someone having said "gently caress it, deadline's nearly here, just stick in a few bigger beefy guys to teach the player how to fight like a real man and make it a starting area". I love the late-afternoon seaside vibe they have going on there, and it really is a shame they didn't do more with the area.

Oddly enough, it's a case of added content. There's a translation of the Design Works interview floating around, in which Yui Tanimura (the director they brought in to replace the first one) said:

Yui Tanimura posted:

Originally [Heide's Tower] was nothing more than a path to the next area but that just wasn’t interesting. We started with the concept of the sunken city forming the road and the map just expanded from there [laughs]. We designed a boss encounter, added the [place with the dragon Geop hasn't been to yet] and before we knew it, it had become it’s own complete area.

So there you have it, the gripping history of how Drangleic's worst Mountie came to squat in a tower.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jpublic posted:

I think the changes to Hide really shows how the Scholar devs tried to give some guidance to the player. That enemy sleeping in front of that tower screams "try ranged battle".

ftfy

Or you can just charge the drat thing. Like everything else in Heide's and most of the game, it's big and intimidating but not actually tough. And if you come back much later, the boss it guards is a total pushover.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, I don't have a dumb Photoshop for the thread reopening, uhhh...

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Spoilers. Again.

edit: Wait. No onion thing.

AstroWhale fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 29, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'd rather talk about how little logical sense it makes that you can see majula waaaay off in the distance than stuff we haven't seen yet

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Time and space are meaningless in Dark Souls. Especially in Dark Souls 2.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Just wanted to point out, if anyones interested in playing along, SoTFS is on sale in the summer sale for about $13.59. The original DS2 is, oddly enough, not on sale at all.

In any case, yeah, as everyone's saying and Geop's starting to understand in the episodes thus far, rolling is great. Not to dodge away from attacks, but to just go straight through them and be more aggressive. Just gotta get that agility up.

It's really weird, you wouldn't think adding 0.0333 seconds to your invincibility timer while rolling would help too much, but it does.

Also, Binocs are only really useful if you have a catalyst in the other hand, then you can aim magic like you can arrows.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's a topological sense of proximity, that connections between points are more meaningful than exact distances, since after all the map room shows that Drangleic as a whole has a size on the order of a continent or some other large region.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Looper posted:

i'd rather talk about how little logical sense it makes that you can see majula waaaay off in the distance than stuff we haven't seen yet

thinking about spatial continuity in dark souls 2 is a recipe for pain

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Oh man, wait until we get to the lift!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
see that tower?

you can go there

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dragonrider is my favourite dark souls joke

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kuvo posted:

thinking about spatial continuity in dark souls 2 is a recipe for pain

Seek adversity

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

You mentioned you wanted a better background image. Are any of these helpful? They're the menu textures from the first game...

Thank you so much, I promise the next update of pointless stats will be better looking :cheers:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hey guys, I've been pretty lenient on this thread so far but I'm going to be keeping a closer eye on it from now on. So starting with this update, try to not post any spoilers or go on weird tangents, because it will get you probated.

Also stop being so aggressively outspoken about how bad you think Geop is at the game/how bad you think Vicas is at giving advice. It adds nothing to the thread and more often than not gets to the point of being a little creepy. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
What's the over under on sassing Kuvo?

• Locked thread