Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
From the makers of Half-Life comes Ricochet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

The General posted:

I will fight you. Myst remains one of my favourite adventure games because you can reason/logic out the puzzles. The only game I can think of that comes close is Witness.

The poo poo adventure games are all the Lucas arts and Sierra games where it was all use everything on everything else. Leave no pixel untouched.

Also see old text adventures for things guilty of that crime.

I'd add the X-Files adventure game to the bad game pile, but you can try to pick a lock with a book in glorious FMV, and shoot yourself and read the suicide note you left.

Counterpoint Myst sucks

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hell Yeah posted:

master of orion 2 and civilization are bad because they're like some kind of boring rear end boardgame except you don't get to pwn your little brother

i pwned my little brother at Master of Orion 2 all the time. get a better brother

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

the great deceiver posted:

gently caress all you guys i thought bioshock infinite was great. i was a little disconcerted about massacring the slave rebellion tho, not gonna lie

how

because its loving retarded. playing it i was rolling my eyes at how ham fisted and poorly placed every single thing was

if bioshock 1 had the writing quality of a mediocre winter B movie, bioshock infinite is like a straight to vhs sci fi original movie that they don't even play on TV anymore

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
also the entire plot of the game is loving stupid

the ENTIRE PLOT hinges on the fact that your character and the bad guy are the same person, and the only difference is that in the alternate timeline the bad guy version of u was baptized. the story literally hinges on something so retarded an arbitrary as 'dunking people in water makes them completely change their personality, character, appearance, and ideology' and if thats too retarded for you the entire thing falls apart

u could characterize the bad guy to explain their motivations instead of using a singular nonsensical event but middle school writing is too advanced for video game stories

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 2, 2016

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Lol that's not even close to the most retarded thing about bioshock infinite

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I have played about an hour total of Bioshock Infinite. I regret that I did so on my crappy old laptop and not my new gaming rig as I would have liked to see the intro in richer detail.

But gently caress if I'm downloading the whole game again just so I can do that.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

subhuman filth posted:

Lol that's not even close to the most retarded thing about bioshock infinite

fair its just what i remember thinkin about after i played it. besides the impressively lazy level design

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
the stupidest thing about bioshock infinite is how the entire plot is centered around wanting t ofuck your daghter

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I don't get why people hated on Bioshock 2. Plot sucked monkey bollocks but you can drill rush the poo poo out of people. They made hacking not a pipe game too.

Ken Levine has a stick up his rear end

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All the bioshocks were bad. I liked the golf club segment in the first one, and the actual idea of the underwater city. Everything else, especially the gameplay, was turdy

I don't even remember anything from Infinite, except it had a disney princess

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

treiz01 posted:

I have played about an hour total of Bioshock Infinite. I regret that I did so on my crappy old laptop and not my new gaming rig as I would have liked to see the intro in richer detail.

But gently caress if I'm downloading the whole game again just so I can do that.

ya i was impressed by the first fifteen minutes of the game. i had some pretyt high hopes for the game after the intro sequence and its prob why i bothered beating it

hmm its almost like showing u the first 15 minutes of a game is a major marketing tool nowadays

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Having the ability to explore Columbia was a weak point in Infinite.

In the first two Bioshock games and System Shock you were pretty much in solidarity the entire time besides people shouting at you over a magic old timey radio to do stuff. When you actually encountered physical non-insane human beings they were either behind a glass wall or you were in the process of deciding whether to kill them. In the Bioshock games it really makes you feel like the monster you were created to be and in System Shock you come to realize your only source of companionship is the rouge AI trying to kill your rear end.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

All the bioshocks were bad. I liked the golf club segment in the first one, and the actual idea of the underwater city. Everything else, especially the gameplay, was turdy

I don't even remember anything from Infinite, except it had a disney princess

nah dude bioshock 1 is basically a giant childish gently caress you to ayn rand and it rules. the atmosphere is great. it has a little thought put into it (unlike infinite). the gameplay is fun + varied if a bit clunky (and the hacking kinda sucks) but lol if you dont have fun beating people to death with a wrench while spewing bees out of your hand and also creating massive spider webs of tripwires.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All of that sounds great but in reality it was very very dull and you kept fighting the same lovely enemies over and over and all the plot was delivered to you on tapes and then, of course, the random 90's bossfight at the end

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
remove audio logs from all videogames

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
All those Mavis beacon games were boring as poo poo

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Zorodius posted:

Every Total War game.

they're screenshot generators, not actual functioning video games.

Nah man nah. Rome 1 and Medieval 2 were good honest fun. I remember the original shogun one was pretty sweet too.

I haven't played any after Empire Total War but Rome might be in my top five games. That poo poo is great.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Shogun was a great game. I bought it on a whim cause all those units at once!? loving crazy! Monks were broken though. Nobody wanted to hurt a monk, so they'd just happily get slaughtered because it was obviously God's will or something.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Zzulu posted:

All of that sounds great but in reality it was very very dull and you kept fighting the same lovely enemies over and over and all the plot was delivered to you on tapes and then, of course, the random 90's bossfight at the end

I don't remember the boss fight, just getting the lovely ending where you are the devil incarnate because apparently if you pick the evil option just once to see what happens thats it son ya dun goofed

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

abigserve posted:

I don't remember the boss fight, just getting the lovely ending where you are the devil incarnate because apparently if you pick the evil option just once to see what happens thats it son ya dun goofed

lmao you "harvested" that little girl just to see what would happen? tell it to the judge, reprobate.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Peebla posted:

Nah man nah. Rome 1 and Medieval 2 were good honest fun. I remember the original shogun one was pretty sweet too.

I haven't played any after Empire Total War but Rome might be in my top five games. That poo poo is great.

Some of the ones which followed medieval 2 were good, but I think the series reached its peak there probably. Total Warhammer is pretty solid though and was actually a fun game on release. Also got like 20 bucks or so off the price, which helped.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The General posted:

Shogun was a great game. I bought it on a whim cause all those units at once!? loving crazy! Monks were broken though. Nobody wanted to hurt a monk, so they'd just happily get slaughtered because it was obviously God's will or something.

That's actually kinda how it worked in real life, warrior monks would come down and gently caress with people in various wars and if you were a samurai general or whatever you just sucked it up because they're holy men and retaliating would be an unforgivable crime at worst and extremely gauche at best.

Then Nobunaga got sick of their poo poo and burned a bunch of them to death in their own temple, which owned

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Putty posted:

Having the ability to explore Columbia was a weak point in Infinite.

In the first two Bioshock games and System Shock you were pretty much in solidarity the entire time besides people shouting at you over a magic old timey radio to do stuff. When you actually encountered physical non-insane human beings they were either behind a glass wall or you were in the process of deciding whether to kill them. In the Bioshock games it really makes you feel like the monster you were created to be and in System Shock you come to realize your only source of companionship is the rouge AI trying to kill your rear end.

Oh hey, they want to remake System Shock.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

i dont have high hopes but at the very least they have a free playable demo out which is more than 99% of kickstarter games can say

https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I played Bioshock Infinite up until the point that I realised that nothing in the gameworld was actually interactive on any level and then I quit

So yeah I didn't get very far

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Homestar Runner posted:

I played Bioshock Infinite up until the point that I realised that nothing in the gameworld was actually interactive on any level and then I quit

A game where you make CHOICES. You can choose to throw the baseball or you can choose not to throw the baseball but don't worry because the outcome is exactly the same and affects nothing so you can feel safe

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Homestar Runner posted:

Trying to pick up some coins sitting around a rotten banana without accidentally jamming the banana down your gullet and harming yourself is something everyone can relate to IRL, I don't know how you get off saying it's not interactive.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

That's actually kinda how it worked in real life, warrior monks would come down and gently caress with people in various wars and if you were a samurai general or whatever you just sucked it up because they're holy men and retaliating would be an unforgivable crime at worst and extremely gauche at best.

Then Nobunaga got sick of their poo poo and burned a bunch of them to death in their own temple, which owned

Is that why he always gets portrayed as evil in videogames? Those monks must've had ridiculous PR abilities

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

B.H. Facials posted:

State of Emergency for PS2 was a huge turd. The hype surrounding it was crazy for some reason.

I think it's because Rockstar was really hot at the time, and State of Emergency was considered the next "edgy" game. It was billed as a "riot simulator", which sounds cool, especially at that time. However, most of the game was wondering around with bunch of people running like crazy and getting in your way.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Grey posted:

I think it's because Rockstar was really hot at the time, and State of Emergency was considered the next "edgy" game. It was billed as a "riot simulator", which sounds cool, especially at that time. However, most of the game was wondering around with bunch of people running like crazy and getting in your way.

state of emergency was such bullshit. its what happens when you try to turn the GTA3 "riot mode" cheat code into an actual game, but dont put any effort in.

i am so glad i rented that turd

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Trying to pick up some coins sitting around a rotten banana without accidentally jamming the banana down your gullet and harming yourself is something everyone can relate to IRL, I don't know how you get off saying it's not interactive.

i dont remember bioshock infinite even having any items to pick up, probably because it was never actually worth doing

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

B.H. Facials posted:

State of Emergency for PS2 was a huge turd. The hype surrounding it was crazy for some reason.

It was like Rockstar's first non-GTA game. It sucked shitballs. Nothing gets a teenager going harder than telling them the game is being censored and possibly banned for being too awesome. Worse than Postal 2.

Haha just remembered there was a separate CD-ROM to install curse words on Postal 2.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
My only real experience with State of Emergency is this REALLY old Daily Show clip of Lewis Black reviewing games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjdMCirZ68

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Aralan posted:

Is that why he always gets portrayed as evil in videogames? Those monks must've had ridiculous PR abilities

It actually is

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

what happened to starbound

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Pretty much 90% of the games available for any Nintendo system is some shovelware trash that barely even functions. Its mostly because Nintendo makes super gimmicky systems with weird controllers and stupid poo poo like gyroscopes and motion controls, and then they offer no support to third party developers. So you end up with about 25 decent Nintendo games and several hundred trash games.

But hey, did you see the new zelda that will be marginally different from the last? Or the new Mario that is the same as the last hundred?

Don't buy Nintendo stuff, get it 5 years later when it is cheap.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hockey

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's Battleborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

FogHelmut posted:

It was like Rockstar's first non-GTA game. It sucked shitballs. Nothing gets a teenager going harder than telling them the game is being censored and possibly banned for being too awesome. Worse than Postal 2.

I was working for a certain video game store chain and our store got a demo copy of the full game. Not knowing what to do with it, the cd was given to me and I took it home. I remember getting about 10-15 minutes in and dying a bunch, immediately followed by me removing the game from the system and (after a minute or so of deliberation) snapping it in half.

It was that terrible.

• Locked thread